EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not so much you but there was a lot of people who thought they were still SB or bust mode and that’s why they should make those moves. The reality was cracks in the foundations were there and young player development was always gonna eventually catch up to them when they made the transition to the next era. 

Sure. That’s why it was beyond stupid to draft Hurts and Taylor. The team needed youth to develop quickly in conjunction to an aging roster, and we drafted a developmental backup QB and a LB years away from being worth playing.

Add that to whiffing are WR (Robby Anderson, Reagor over Jefferson) and stuff got bad quickly.  

2 hours ago, Texas Eagle said:

Eric Wilson, Marlon T, Josiah Scott, McCain, Chachere, Anderson could all be gone without blinking an eye

Chachere has been playing real well on STs and was the first secondary substitution when they started yanking starters last week. McCain is probably gone.  Gowan was active over him last week.  Both Gowan and Vincent were on my draft board for the Eagles. 

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You forgot Reagor.

I didn’t forget. No one in here will ever let anyone forget. 

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Boy, people jump to conclusions.

Toth - let's see if he gets claimed, Howie might feel he has a better chance to clear waivers and make it to the PS.

McPhearson, Gowan, Scott, Vincent. Nelson on a one year deal, this is called building "depth." Didn't give up much to get these guys, 4th, (2) 6th, Ertz. they're more talented than the scrubs that have been cycled through the last two seasons. Gannon, who's been a scout and a DB coach, probably had a lot of input into these decisions. He's going to remake this defense by next fall, this is merely some tinkering around the edges. They are getting faster and quicker.

Don't think this will impact the first 3 rounds or so, might negate taking a project in the 5th or 6th round next June.

Sure that sounds great and all but look at how the Eagles have invested in CB since winning the SB.  

2018 CB- Deiondre Hall, Rasul Douglas, Ronald Darby, Jalen Mills, Dexter McDougal, Avonte Maddox, Josh Hawkins, Sidney Jones, Chandon Sullivan, Cre'von LeBlanc, De'Vante Bausby

2019 CB- Jalen Mills, Sidney Jones, Avonte Maddox, Ryan Lewis, Craig James, Ronald Darby, Rasul Douglas, Cre'von LeBlanc, Orlando Scandrick 

2020 CB- Trevor Williams, Darius Slay, Kevon Seymour, NRC, Avonte Maddox, Craig James, Michael Jacquet, Cre'von LeBlanc

2021 CB- Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Josiah Scott, Mac McCain, Andre Chachere, Kary Vincent, Tay Gowan     9 CB ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER and they never play dime.

Of the CB on the team they drafted since 2016 they've drafted 5. 7th on Mills, 2nd on Jones, 3rd on Douglas and a 4th Maddox and a 4th on McPhearson.

They traded a 3rd and 5th for Slay.  A 3rd and Jordan Matthews for Darby.  6th for Scott.  6th for Vincent.  Ertz for Gowan.

The rest have been waiver claims, UDFA or street FA.

This is how the Eagles build their secondary.  It isn't just depth.  It's Howie trying to go cheap at CB.

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Toth cut is surprising 

Probably makes it to the PS.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Sure that sounds great and all but look at how the Eagles have invested in CB since winning the SB.  

2018 CB- Deiondre Hall, Rasul Douglas, Ronald Darby, Jalen Mills, Dexter McDougal, Avonte Maddox, Josh Hawkins, Sidney Jones, Chandon Sullivan, Cre'von LeBlanc, De'Vante Bausby

2019 CB- Jalen Mills, Sidney Jones, Avonte Maddox, Ryan Lewis, Craig James, Ronald Darby, Rasul Douglas, Cre'von LeBlanc, Orlando Scandrick 

2020 CB- Trevor Williams, Darius Slay, Kevon Seymour, NRC, Avonte Maddox, Craig James, Michael Jacquet, Cre'von LeBlanc

2021 CB- Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Josiah Scott, Mac McCain, Andre Chachere, Kary Vincent, Tay Gowan     9 CB ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER and they never play dime.

Of the CB on the team they drafted since 2016 they've drafted 5. 7th on Mills, 2nd on Jones, 3rd on Douglas and a 4th Maddox and a 4th on McPhearson.

They traded a 3rd and 5th for Slay.  A 3rd and Jordan Matthews for Darby.  6th for Scott.  6th for Vincent.  Ertz for Gowan.

The rest have been waiver claims, UDFA or street FA.

This is how the Eagles build their secondary.  It isn't just depth.  It's Howie trying to go cheap at CB.

They played at least one snap of dime against Detroit, so take that!

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Chachere has been playing real well on STs and was the first secondary substitution when they started yanking starters last week. McCain is probably gone.  Gowan was active over him last week.  Both Gowan and Vincent were on my draft board for the Eagles. 

I've been trying talk up Chachere as an integral part of this team.  You need your 5-6 core ST guys.  Guys like Chris Maragos, Dameane Douglas and Bryan Braman.  I really think Chachere is that kind of player for them.  He's their best gunner and a leader on ST. 

Why they need 9 CB on the active roster however is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I didn’t forget. No one in here will ever let anyone forget. 

You better believe not.  Win now... but draft the WR that's least NFL ready.  Meanwhile, the most NFL ready guy in that draft is sitting right there for the selection.    

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Alabama at 2 is correct. Cincy at 6 is a surprise. 

OSU doesn't belong there.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

We have 3 CBS from that last draft.  Which is weird since they're all late rounders. 

McPherson

Gowan

Vincent

Vincent and Gowan both slipped, IMO, due to opting out of the 2020 season. I thought both would go higher. 

I think you can throw out draft "tendencies" before this season, b/c Gannon has a different approach than Schwartz.

Doesn't mean they'll take a LB in the top ten, but they're more likely to invest in a 3 down LB under Gannon.

Schwartz loved him some DL, and I think a lot of moves were him pressuring Howie for DLs, Jerrigan - Malik - Hargrave, Barnett in the 1st rd. Gannon isn't as big on the athletic one gappers, so they may go more conventional (NT, LDE types as well as pass rushers). Especially if Gannon wants to mix in 3-4 looks.

Same on offense, while Stoutland rules, Sirianni is more hands on with WRs than Pederson, he's coached up 2nd (Pittman), 3rd (Allen) and UDFA (Pascal) big WRs, so he may have a list of prospects he wants.

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Vincent and Gowan both slipped, IMO, due to opting out of the 2020 season. I thought both would go higher. 

Uncertainty, both were at the age when a lot of players make significant progress, Vincent was a part-time starter at 19 and 20, could have moved into a bigger role and improved his draft position if he played. By seeing how they look in pre-season, Eagles had a chance to confirm/reject their scouting reports based on college film from two years ago.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think you can throw out draft "tendencies" before this season, b/c Gannon has a different approach than Schwartz.

Doesn't mean they'll take a LB in the top ten, but they're more likely to invest in a 3 down LB under Gannon.

Schwartz loved him some DL, and I think a lot of moves were him pressuring Howie for DLs, Jerrigan - Malik - Hargrave, Barnett in the 1st rd. Gannon isn't as big on the athletic one gappers, so they may go more conventional (NT, LDE types as well as pass rushers). Especially if Gannon wants to mix in 3-4 looks.

Same on offense, while Stoutland rules, Sirianni is more hands on with WRs than Pederson, he's coached up 2nd (Pittman), 3rd (Allen) and UDFA (Pascal) big WRs, so he may have a list of prospects he wants.

Uh.....they drafted "LB" in the 6th and 7th rounds in the form of a Safety and a DE and drafted an undersized DT in the mold of Aaron Donald who had his best game as a pro playing at DT rather than DE.

They used the 37th pick in the draft on a C/G who never finished a college season due to injury.  They drafted one of the lightest WR in NFL history.

31 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

It really does get worse with every piece of info that comes out. Such an avoidable situation. I hope the woman’s family also sues the crap out of him. 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Uh.....they drafted "LB" in the 6th and 7th rounds in the form of a Safety and a DE and drafted an undersized DT in the mold of Aaron Donald who had his best game as a pro playing at DT rather than DE.

They used the 37th pick in the draft on a C/G who never finished a college season due to injury.  They drafted one of the lightest WR in NFL history.

I hate to say it but they STILL need an outside #1 type WR. Someone very good to pair with Smith. And they need a slot too... 

Just now, greendestiny27 said:

I hate to say it but they STILL need an outside #1 type WR. Someone very good to pair with Smith. And they need a slot too... 

Sure do.  If they have 3 1st round picks, I'm using 2 on defense and trying to get Chris Olave at all costs.  Drake London was looking like a legit prospect too but the broken ankle might push him down.  2nd round Howie special.

WR is far from fixed.  

27 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Alabama at 2 is correct. Cincy at 6 is a surprise. 

The fact that a team can go undefeated and not have a shot at a championship is borderline criminal. 

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thought about them. Jimmy G is arguable, I have no strong feelings either way. Tua and Lawrence if were considering long term, yes. If right now, again, don't have many strong feelings one way or the other. 

I don't think he ended up in a good situation after leaving NE personally.  Kyle isn't much of a coach.  

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wow.  One thing I would never do if I was that rich and dumb, was drink and drive.  I'd be doing a ton of dumb things, but never that.  What a shame.  

*MASSIVE DISCLAIMER* 

I'm not condoning...but I made a crapload of bad decisions in my youth that I regret.  Weirdly when I was in Vegas I 'grew up' the first year I was there.  Not that it's an excuse, but I had also finally at that point come to grips with my 'vacations' and the after effects.

6 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I know situations like Ruggs has happened before in NFL, not resulting in death but NFL has plenty of DUI to its name, but I was worried about NFL players living in Vegas. I do wonder if this could be the first case of many incidents of guys that play in Vegas for the Raiders. Ruggs is perfect example of the 22 year old fresh out of college with millions in his bank now, playing for NFL, living in Vegas, and doing stupid sheet. 

You have to go out of your way to get in trouble like that with that status in Vegas.  Valet's will low key call you taxi's and if you happen to not valet, it's way too hard to 1 find your car drunk in those parking garages and 2 a super big hassle to not just get a room for the evening.

Archived