EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

we dont know any of this about the vaccine either. 

Again, a healthy person under 65 is just as likely to die fron the Flu, Pneumonia, aneurysms etc 

Over 100 million people have been vaccinated, there are fewer side effects from the mRNA vaccines b/c they're not cultured in eggs or other substances that are associated with allergic reactions. There have been a few minor reactions to the solvent they use as the carrier for the mRNA, but the only serious issues are a rare heart condition (a few per million) which is treatable. mRNA vaccines have been under development for a couple decades, what they did was take the technology that had been developed and applied it to COVID. So it's not some novel technique that was suddenly discovered.

There is no reason to expect any long-term complications b/c the mRNA doesn't replicate, it just triggers an immune response then is eradicated from the body.

It is not death you should worry about with COVID if you're young and healthy, unless you're unlucky, the impact on health and long-term mortality (like kidney failure two decades later) are a much bigger threat. Think of it being potentially similar to smoking for two decades, except you get it all in two weeks.

COVID is not the flu for the healthy, it's more like the serious viral infections like West Nile, etc., which are more like the flu on steroids.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I mean, this is like the 4th or 5th year in a row the same thing happened with a LB. He's lost any credit at this point. 

Good point. I'm just relieved I don't have to watch Eric Wilson play anymore.

Definitely time for a real investment in that position.

5 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Good point. I'm just relieved I don't have to watch Eric Wilson play anymore.

Definitely time for a real investment in that position.

Ya think.....................

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

No it isn't.  That's the kind of pick you make in the 5th round or after.  

A 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick.  It's not where you take a gamble, especially on a position Howie has proved he has no idea how to draft.

No, I think anyone would consider pick #65 to be significantly more valuable than pick #104.

Let's see, using a draft trade chart, #65 is 265 points, #80 is 190 points, #104 is 86 points.  Hmm. Guess it does matter where you pick.

Of course, you're not anyone.

If we trade for Wilson, his cap hits for us are...

- 2022: 24M
- 2023: 27M

We can absorb that if we so choose. We have 21M in cap space next year, so we can add void years or signing bonus to his deal to easily make it work. 

39 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Another anti-vaxxer idiot, infection with the original strains of COVID doesn't provide good protection against the Delta variant, which is why they recommend that those who have been infected get at least one vaccination shot - the combo provides a much higher level of immunity. This isn't opinion, they do studies to examine these things, then update as more studies are performed (and yes, it takes time to gather reliable data, any jackass can spout off an opinion supported by lumberjacks).

It's real easy to get legitimate information, get the f*** off Facebook, turn off Fox news, and go to Google Scholar. Or even Google, if you stick to reputable sites like Harvard Health or the Mayo clinic.

What makes people uncomfortable with "Science" is that Science doesn't often provide definitive answers, it's an ongoing dialogue where information is updated as new evidence is gathered and analyzed. The only certain things in life are death and taxes (and the rich can afford the lawyers and accountants to dodge the latter to some extent). But Science is still far more reliable than the rantings of media personalities.

Yup.  I avoid this morass generally, because the level of stupid annoys me, but this is spot the F on.  And there is no other side to the argument, whatsoever.   

36 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I mean, this is like the 4th or 5th year in a row the same thing happened with a LB. He's lost any credit at this point. 

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Claiming a former 1st round pick is a better lottery ticket than continually trading and adding 6th or 7th round talent IMO.

Not necessarily, a former 1st rd pick is a known quantity, and given the reluctance of teams to cut 1st rd picks, there must be something serious wrong (injury, character, performance) for that player to get cut.

Whereas late round picks who are good athletes fall for a number of reasons, maybe they can't play, but often it's b/c they're not NFL ready and get lost in a numbers game, as teams try to stash them on the PS or trade them instead of losing them on waivers. So they're often good upside gambles if the cost is low.

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

What did they cost? I mean you pick up veterans all the time on one year deals, some work out, some don't.

Some are coaching mistakes, Fort has started 16 games for Baltimore since he was released.

18 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lets say you are hit by a drunk driver and mangled. Let's say the driver has no insurance, because he's clearly a POS. So you can sue him, but he'll declare bankruptcy and you get nothing. Turns out the bar he was at had a deal on, bucket of 6 beers for $5. The servers kept serving him, let's say he consumes 2 buckets to himself, over 3 hours. They see him put on his coat, take car keys out of his pocket....don't you think the bar has some responsibility from stopping him? And if so, then they should have to pay for you getting mangled by that idiot. 

That idiot driver should also do jail time and have his license taken away, but that doesn't seem much of a deterrent to these types. 

A lot of what ifs in that scenario. How about someone from the bar tries to stop him, he becomes violent and hurts that employee, maybe even kills him/her, once again the bar is now on the hook from the employee or their family.

Unless the bartender or server pours booze down their throat while they are handcuffed to the bar, no.

I wouldn't be so quick to call Rodgers an anti-vaxxer. There's still a lot to unpack with this story. Did Rodgers flat out lie or was he already infected with COVID and get natural immunity? Is that what he meant? Or was he vaccinated and were the reports wrong?

If it's the former two and the reports are right, then he was apparently following protocol unvaccinated people do behind the scenes.

All that said, I think everyone, well most people should get the vaccines. I don't think sports leagues are doing themselves any favors by the inconsistencies of these policies though.

How do you offer religious exemptions for example, but not offer exemptions for people who've gotten COVID and recovered? The most recent largest study on COVID immunity showed that natural immunity is stronger and longer lasting than vaccine immunity.

How is someone who was vaccinated in, say, January allowed to follow no protocols, but someone who caught COVID in September and has the stronger natural immunity given less freedoms then someone who was vaccinated almost a year ago and has declining antibodies?

If you want to put in rules, they have to make sense to people and be consistent. They don't in many areas. Thus, you will get skeptics.

4 minutes ago, greend said:

A lot of what ifs in that scenario. How about someone from the bar tries to stop him, he becomes violent and hurts that employee, maybe even kills him/her, once again the bar is now on the hook from the employee or their family.

Unless the bartender or server pours booze down their throat while they are handcuffed to the bar, no.

Not sure how it is in other states, but in Washington, you can lose your liquor license for over serving.

4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

There's still a lot to unpack with this story

No there isn't.  He is out 10 days, meaning he is unvaccinated.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Yes, each and every claim must stand on it's own merits. I was just trying to highlight a relatively common scenario that could play out. What you describe would show the bar acted appropriately in trying to stop him from driving drunk. They'd likely not be found liable in that situation. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Not sure how it is in other states, but in Washington, you can lose your liquor license for over serving.

No there isn't.  He is out 10 days, meaning he is unvaccinated.

If you catch COVID when vaccinated what's the protocol then?

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Yes, each and every claim must stand on it's own merits. I was just trying to highlight a relatively common scenario that could play out. What you describe would show the bar acted appropriately in trying to stop him from driving drunk. They'd likely not be found liable in that situation. 

Sure, but the employee/family would sue.

32 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The other issue for the "healthy" is the long-term effects of a COVID infection.

We simply don't know. We don't know how legitimate or extensive "long-haulers" is, or the impact on mortality, but there are some studies that suggest that people who don't have symptoms that require hospitalization can have damage throughout their body, possibly due to inflammation as the immune system overreacts, clotting, and other effects of the infection. That may include neurological complications, damage to organs like the kidneys and liver, scarring of the lungs, etc.

Unfortunately, for those foolish enough not to get vaccinated, we probably won't get definitive answers for another 5-10 years or longer.

But hey, gamble with your life and health - it's between you and your insurance company!

Or Medicaid or Medicare.  Insurance works by spreading risk. Everyone sees a spike in premium from spreading higher medical costs.  Medicaid is funded by tax dollars as is the depleting Medicare trust fund.   So it isn’t just between him and his insurance company. 

3 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I wouldn't be so quick to call Rodgers an anti-vaxxer. There's still a lot to unpack with this story. Did Rodgers flat out lie or was he already infected with COVID and get natural immunity? Is that what he meant? Or was he vaccinated and were the reports wrong?

If it's the former two and the reports are right, then he was apparently following protocol unvaccinated people do behind the scenes.

All that said, I think everyone, well most people should get the vaccines. I don't think sports leagues are doing themselves any favors by the inconsistencies of these policies though.

How do you offer religious exemptions for example, but not offer exemptions for people who've gotten COVID and recovered? The most recent largest study on COVID immunity showed that natural immunity is stronger and longer lasting than vaccine immunity.

How is someone who was vaccinated in, say, January allowed to follow no protocols, but someone who caught COVID in September and has the stronger natural immunity given less freedoms then someone who was vaccinated almost a year ago and has declining antibodies?

If you want to put in rules, they have to make sense to people and be consistent. They don't in many areas. Thus, you will get skeptics.

Well his GF believes there's health benefits of spreading your legs and tanning your genitals and butthole, so....

Just now, greend said:

Sure, but the employee/family would sue.

They'd sue the assaulter, and win. If they tried to drag the bar into that lawsuit, I don't think they'd be liable for anything (you only pay if you're found to be at least 1% liable). 

The bar's business is serving alcohol and getting people drunk. They owe a duty of care to everybody else to ensure their patrons aren't drinking and driving after getting drunk at their establishment. The person drinking and driving is of course ultimately responsible, no debate there. But in law, the bar is also partly responsible for him as soon as they agreed to serve him. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Well his GF believes there's health benefits of spreading your legs and tanning your genitals and butthole, so....

Wait a minute........are you saying there isn't any health benefits to that? 

3 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Pretty sure they will draft one OL in the 1st round.  Since AR this team has been sold on the idea of building out from the lines, OL and DL.  OL has a bit more on the roster to work with.  DL is getting long on the teeth and a high pick is in order before the some will fall off.  

Yeah I agree. Of course there's a lot of ways to go especially on defense because there's so many needs, but the o-line can potentially be an issue. Between contracts, injuries and age. I like the idea of having a top 5 line, minimum. Herbigs and Driscolls provide fine depth and  I am intrigued by Driscoll.  But neither in the same league as Johnson and Brooks. 
I like Evan Neal but not sure if I love him yet. I do like Green a lot and he could be there around the 8 spot. There's some other quality linemen that could be nice trade down options. Ekwonu, Penning, Kinnard... 

Archived