EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know and I really have been interested in trying different cheeses. This area just sucks for that and no one around really knows anything about cheese except the cheese I've mentioned. 

I've at least made it a point to get real mozzarella and parmesan romano . If it isn't from Italy or 100% whole milk it's not real!

Start small.   A place like September Farms (Honey Brook, PA) would be worth the trip.  They used to let you try all their cheeses (or at least a wide range) before buying.  Try the gouda, the aged cheddars, etc.  Then you can work your way into the fancier stuff... brie, hard rinds, goat and sheep cheeses.   Just such a wide world out there. If Cooper Sharp is the best you've had, you will have your mind blown by these other cheeses.  

I suggest September Farms, not because they are the best, but its a great entry point to the world of cheese.  Affordable, and you get to try a bunch of stuff before investing.  Family owned and operated.  Nice spot.   But, there's a lot of other places to go for the wider ranges.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Sharp provolone is great but it's got nothing on a good smoked gouda. 

True.  There are so many great cheeses out there.   But, the provolone was in reference to the cheesesteak conversation.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yep. Tragic. And the scumbag BF clearly has something to do with it. They live a little north of me, maybe 45 mins 

Real strange the temporal and location similarities with the two women killed who were camping.  One of those women worked at the store where the BF and her were reported as fighting.  Coincidence does happen but real strange how much of a coincidence. 

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

@VaBeach_Eagle

Game-day rituals

BBQ Prep or other food results for tailgating or game day

New Eagle gear or man caves

I once tried getting drunk and talking with myself (and sometimes my friends) about life while sucking at playing video games.  It never took off...but I'll throw that on the table!  

A couple more thoughts on Hurts...the originally pro-Hurts crowd is likely to just agree with the positives and dismiss away the negatives, but I'm looking for some unbiased discourse here...

From 4 games last year and his college career, my biggest concern with Hurts was mental.  The guy was taught and encouraged to run and not to be a QB, a passer.  His utilization of his legs and decision-making on Sunday were outstanding.  He was in command, generally made the right reads (without looking at the all-22 to be sure), and looked to pass with only a few exceptions.  Bravo there.  Some huge concerns I had were alleviated.

However, Sunday introduced a couple other concerns.  I was never a big "arm strength" or "arm talent" guy.  "Good enough" is all I really want out of an arm for a precise pocket passer.  The issue, however, is that Hurts is short, has limited sight lines and throwing lanes in the pocket, and constantly rolls out right.  It's one thing to have enough arm to make all the throws while stepping up in the pocket.  It's another to have enough arm to make all the throws on the move while always rolling out in a mobile pocket.  If Hurts isn't going to learn to stay in the pocket and step up, he does not have enough arm strength to constantly be on the move.  Teams are going to shut down the part of the field that is right in front of him when he rolls out.  Mahomes/Rodgers (and Wentz/Allen) can roll out and still use the whole field.  That's not really an option for Hurts (or Brady, or others).  He's going to have to learn to stand tall in the pocket...but that's a lot harder at his height.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

A couple more thoughts on Hurts...the originally pro-Hurts crowd is likely to just agree with the positives and dismiss away the negatives, but I'm looking for some unbiased discourse here...

From 4 games last year and his college career, my biggest concern with Hurts was mental.  The guy was taught and encouraged to run and not to be a QB, a passer.  His utilization of his legs and decision-making on Sunday were outstanding.  He was in command, generally made the right reads (without looking at the all-22 to be sure), and looked to pass with only a few exceptions.  Bravo there.  Some huge concerns I had were alleviated.

However, Sunday introduced a couple other concerns.  I was never a big "arm strength" or "arm talent" guy.  "Good enough" is all I really want out of an arm for a precise pocket passer.  The issue, however, is that Hurts is short, has limited sight lines and throwing lanes in the pocket, and constantly rolls out right.  It's one thing to have enough arm to make all the throws while stepping up in the pocket.  It's another to have enough arm to make all the throws on the move while always rolling out in a mobile pocket.  If Hurts isn't going to learn to stay in the pocket and step up, he does not have enough arm strength to constantly be on the move.  Teams are going to shut down the part of the field that is right in front of him when he rolls out.  Mahomes/Rodgers (and Wentz/Allen) can roll out and still use the whole field.  That's not really an option for Hurts (or Brady, or others).  He's going to have to learn to stand tall in the pocket...but that's a lot harder at his height.

What does this have to do with cheesesteaks or cheese?  :unsure:

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Brees was 6'0. As long as he rolls out after going through the progressions  in the pocket, I'm not worried. This is the way you exhaust a pass rush - 3-4 seconds trying to break down protection, then another few seconds chasing the will o' wisp. By staying in the pocket you force the defense to be disciplined, which means when you roll out half the defense is on the side of the field you're not going to try and throw across your body to, so you won't be throwing into an overload.

I think some of the option/RPO plays are designed to allow him to run left to keep the defense from keying on his tendency to roll right (like most RH QBs). Keeps the LBs and safeties from cheating over.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I posted earlier today that Sirianni considers his players before developing a scheme.  That notion was well received in the Blog. (Eight likes!)

So why does Hurts "have to" learn anything?  If Sirianni continues to offer route combinations that cater to Hurts' abilities AND that approach leads to success, why must Hurts be something he's not? 

Also, where does the conclusion that Hurts "does not have enough arm to make all the throws on the move" come from?  The TD to Goedert was a bullet.

I too would like to see Hurts trust his protection more and make better use of the middle of the field.  And maybe over time that will occur.  But if we applaud the HC for developing a scheme with the players in mind, then what Sirianni has put together for a QB with running ability, short-range accuracy, and a reluctance to throw over the middle seems to be the right approach.

Sorry, late to the party on the cheesesteak discussion here, or other sammiches. 

Whenever my sister and BIL have people over, usually for the kids' bdays or big sporting events, their one close family of friends has a daughter that used to work for one of the Liscio's nearby in SJ.  So they'd bring the rolls and the mother would make killer broccoli rabe.  My BIL makes really good pork and there's usually long hots as well.  So a Liscio's roll with 3 round slices of provolone, broccoli rabe, a single long hot, and pork.  Just fantastic. 

8 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I posted earlier today that Sirianni considers his players before developing a scheme.  That notion was well received in the Blog. (Eight likes!)

So why does Hurts "have to" learn anything?  If Sirianni continues to offer route combinations that cater to Hurts' abilities AND that approach leads to success, why must Hurts be something he's not? 

Also, where does the conclusion that Hurts "does not have enough arm to make all the throws on the move" come from?  The TD to Goedert was a bullet.

I too would like to see Hurts trust his protection more and make better use of the middle of the field.  And maybe over time that will occur.  But if we applaud the HC for developing a scheme with the players in mind, then what Sirianni has put together for a QB with running ability, short-range accuracy, and a reluctance to throw over the middle seems to be the right approach.

It’s player development. How many successful long term QBs didn’t learn to stand tall in the pocket?

15 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Because you can only do so much with a limited skill set. Eventually, you're going to have to evolve and have an answer for the defense's response. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I am not sure I agree that Hurts was taught and encouraged to run and not be a QB, a passer in college. I do think the game plans utilized that strength in addition to passing.  I was worried about a tendency to take a quick look and run.  Did not see much of that last Sunday.

i too worry he runs right too much but against Atlanta, that was the best thing to do. With the 49ers it means Dee Ford.  We will see.  

I think the arm strength is overblown.  He has shown good ability to throw the long ball.  But I agree his height may be an issue.  Wilson and Brees overcame it and I think Nick may scheme to help Hurts with it as well.  We will see.  He is taller than both Brees and Wilson. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

It’s player development. How many successful long term QBs didn’t learn to stand tall in the pocket?

Remember when you needed an All-Star caliber center to win an NBA championship?

I already stated that he should trust his protection more than he already does.  But look around the league.  Mobile QBs, quick throws, play action, etc.  The days of the seven-step drop have gone away.

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Because you can only do so much with a limited skill set. Eventually, you're going to have to evolve and have an answer for the defense's response. 

And that answer must be "stand tall in the pocket"?

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

And that answer must be "stand tall in the pocket"?

Maybe so. I was only answering that playing to your players' strengths doesn't guarantee you success. It gives you the best shot. But if the approach is limited, defenses are going to make you play left-handed eventually.

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I already stated that he should trust his protection more than he already does.  But look around the league.  Mobile QBs, quick throws, play action, etc.  The days of the seven-step drop have gone away.

I think offenses are moving more toward mobile QBs and their ability to make plays off script, but of course those QBs still need to sit in the pocket and go through their progressions and deliver the football. That won’t change.  

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

Maybe so. I was only answering that playing to your players' strengths doesn't guarantee you success. It gives you the best shot. But if the approach is limited, defenses are going to make you play left-handed eventually.

th?id=OIP.5J9vFDOITVxrTWD8afwwvQHaED&pid=Api&P=0&w=349&h=192

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

You can only hide deficiencies for so long. Those QBs who can’t stand in the pocket and deliver the football typically flame out quickly. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

I think offenses are moving more toward mobile QBs and their ability to make plays off script, but of course those QBs still need to sit in the pocket and go through their progressions and deliver the football. That won’t change.  

I agree. And I hope Hurts maybe trusts his OL to give him time for maybe one or two more reads before departing the pocket. 

I was just arguing against the notion that he needs to "stand tall in the pocket and brave the onslaught of pass rushers". 

45 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Sorry, late to the party on the cheesesteak discussion here, or other sammiches. 

Whenever my sister and BIL have people over, usually for the kids' bdays or big sporting events, their one close family of friends has a daughter that used to work for one of the Liscio's nearby in SJ.  So they'd bring the rolls and the mother would make killer broccoli rabe.  My BIL makes really good pork and there's usually long hots as well.  So a Liscio's roll with 3 round slices of provolone, broccoli rabe, a single long hot, and pork.  Just fantastic. 

No bro, you ain't coming in here late and try to change the game to no pork sandwich!

You give your information about cheesesteaks or you can just git out

😜

26 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Yes, you mean when the NBA was watchable.

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Yes, you mean when the NBA was watchable.

Honestly, this can apply to most of the big time sports in the US.  Baseball is now solely about analytics, launch angles, and exit velocity where we either see HRs or Ks (too much of the latter and not enough of the former).  Boooooring.  The NFL is slowly becoming either flag football or Arena Football played outside on a bigger field.  The NHL?  IMO they need to adopt the Olympic sized rink to allow for the size/speed of the modern players.  To date, it's the game that's change the least, IMO, but it was always the red headed stepchild.  College basketball was always more fun to watch than the NBA.  The atmosphere, the different types of D (man, zone, box and 1), did I mention the atmosphere?  The NBA where they play music during live play to get the fans at the game 'into it'.  For the record, I've been to Villanova games at the old Spectrum (when they'd play Georgetown or Syracuse back in the Big East days) and 76ers games and the Nova games were loads better to attend.

Archived