DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're probably right there. That doesn't mean the Eagles will take him, doesn't even mean they have to but I think you're right. 

I think they have to. With the athletic report that came out the Eagles cannot continue following their current process, or lack there of. They need to get younger and that starts with not drafting need or trying to be smarter than everyone else. It starts with hitting on draft picks regardless of position. Draft the best player available on your board at 12 period because they have a need at every single position on the roster

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think they have to. With the athletic report that came out the Eagles cannot continue following their current process, or lack there of. They need to get younger and that starts with not drafting need or trying to be smarter than everyone else. It starts with hitting on draft picks regardless of position. Draft the best player available on your board at 12 period because they have a need at every single position on the roster

Howie will do what Howie does. He'll cover his own backside and he'll make moves that keep him in a job. That's what he's so good at and it is what he'll continue to do. Lurie is a part of the issue here because he doesn't seem to hold Lurie accountable.

After the press conference today, which was pathetic, I got valuable information. Sirianni said X WRs can come in all shapes and sizes. They are looking to see if you can consistently beat one on one coverage. To me, that has Devonta Smith written all over it. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk that the eagles want him at 12 but that tells me that size is something that won’t drop him down on their board

The official size of 6’ 166lbs is not great for him. He will definitely be at 12 with these measurements. I would still draft him. Man not only survived in the tough conference but torched the best corners and secondaries that the conference had to offer. With NFL nutrition program, he can get up to 175 while is solid for him.

5 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

After the press conference today, which was pathetic, I got valuable information. Sirianni said X WRs can come in all shapes and sizes. They are looking to see if you can consistently beat one on one coverage. To me, that has Devonta Smith written all over it. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk that the eagles want him at 12 but that tells me that size is something that won’t drop him down on their board.

They also made a point that they think CB's can be found at any point during the draft.  They did use the phrase "a couple" at one point in that answer.  But their main point was that it didn't have to be in the 1st.

I'd definitely prefer Surtain or Horn over a WR.  But I agree that, unless they were intentionally blowing smoke, their hints suggested Smith.  And I guess that'd be ok with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilikepargo said:

They also made a point that they think CB's can be found at any point during the draft.  They did just the phrase "a couple" at one point in that answer.  But their main point was that it didn't have to be in the 1st.

I'd definitely prefer Surtain or Horn over a WR.  But I agree that, unless they were intentionally blowing smoke, their hints suggested Smith.  And I guess that'd be ok with me.

I really like the CB class. I don’t like the WR class as much. If we grab Smith or Waddle we can double dip at CB in 2nd and 3rd. But I guess we will all accept what they do anyways lol.

but I’m glad I am not the only one who caught those comments

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Horn and Marshall or Smith and a CB at #37? I'm guessing you'd prefer the former over the latter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Horn and Marshall or Smith and a CB at #37? I'm guessing you'd prefer the former over the latter. 

Yes, I'd prefer the former.  The later could be good too.  Either of those paths could be great.  But I see CB as the greater need, and taking one of the two top CB's would allow more freedom to be open to LB or DE in the 2nd (depending on who's available, of course).  Taking a WR in the 1st would making taking a CB in the 2nd to be almost an absolute.  That position is just so empty right now!  It's tough though, because both the CB and WR positions in this draft appear to have a couple of top guys, and then a clear drop-off.  I just think that CB then WR would give us both a better pair of players and also a pair that better suits the team's needs.

• Like 1

He reminds me of Chad Johnson in route running

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Yes, I'd prefer the former.  The later could be good too.  Either of those paths could be great.  But I see CB as the greater need, and taking one of the two top CB's would allow more freedom to be open to LB or DE in the 2nd (depending on who's available, of course).  Taking a WR in the 1st would making taking a CB in the 2nd to be almost an absolute.  That position is just so empty right now!  It's tough though, because both the CB and WR positions in this draft appear to have a couple of top guys, and then a clear drop-off.  I just think that CB then WR would give us both a better pair of players and also a pair that better suits the team's needs.

Pargo - that's how I feel. I would however be very tempted by Smith if he fell to us. Feel like he's going to be an absolute stud and that his weight is being overstated.

If we get Horn, Surtain or Smith at 12 I'm delighted. Less happy with Waddle.

I agree though - if we don't take corner in the first - almost have to in the second. I think you have to look to trade up to get your guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Smith and Stokes is possible, I think we miss on both counts with Horn/Marshall.

9 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

After the press conference today, which was pathetic, I got valuable information. Sirianni said X WRs can come in all shapes and sizes. They are looking to see if you can consistently beat one on one coverage. To me, that has Devonta Smith written all over it. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk that the eagles want him at 12 but that tells me that size is something that won’t drop him down on their board

The official size of 6’ 166lbs is not great for him. He will definitely be at 12 with these measurements. I would still draft him. Man not only survived in the tough conference but torched the best corners and secondaries that the conference had to offer. With NFL nutrition program, he can get up to 175 while is solid for him.

I liked the press conference. It's been a bit superficial but Siriani made me feel good about things.

If for pick #6 we get the best WR in the draft in Smith and a first round pick next year they hit it out of the park in my book.

Mentally preparing myself for the Eagles to skip on Smith just to draft Bateman or Marshall at #12 lmao

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Feel like he's going to be an absolute stud and that his weight is being overstated.

It is so difficult with Smith isn't it? The weight is definitely a concern but the production in college is insane. My biggest concern is that there's no WR with a similar profile in the NFL that's ever had huge success. Or at least I don't believe there is. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is so difficult with Smith isn't it? The weight is definitely a concern but the production in college is insane. My biggest concern is that there's no WR with a similar profile in the NFL that's ever had huge success. Or at least I don't believe there is. 

Isaac Bruce weighed 173 out of college. He played most of his career around 185-190 though.

2 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Isaac Bruce weighed 173 out of college. He played most of his career around 185-190 though.

OK so Smith could bulk up a little. He's 6ft so he's got room to add some.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

OK so Smith could bulk up a little. He's 6ft so he's got room to add some.

Yeah he will be put on a diet plan that helps him gain 10-15lbs. This news of 166 probably pushes him to 12. And after seeing how excited Siri gets about receivers I think he will be the pick.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The NFL is forever changing. Just because there were no similar profile players with huge success, this is not a great predictor. My example Harold Carmichael. 6’8” WR that was drafted in the 7th round. One of the best if not the best WR in Eagles history. 

That is the one thing I like about Sirianni press conference yesterday. Players come in all different shapes and sizes but it’s all about their talent. Whiteside prototypical size but talent is buns.

This man wearing a durag during an interview. He is pure business and would be perfect for Philly

image.png

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

This man wearing a durag during an interview. He is pure business and would be perfect for Philly

image.png

Gut feeling says he will be the pick should he be there at 12.

If he can put on about 10lbs, he would have an almost identical frame as Emanuel Sanders. I guess thats not a bad thing.  His size and movement reminds me a lot of Ted Ginn, but Smith looks quicker... 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Really hope so

20 minutes ago, What The F said:

If he can put on about 10lbs, he would have an almost identical frame as Emanuel Sanders. I guess thats not a bad thing.  His size and movement reminds me a lot of Ted Ginn, but Smith looks quicker... 

His movement is nothing like Ginn no offense. Unless you are just saying he is a long strider.

Ginn was a burner limited in his route running. Smith is fast but is an excellent route runner.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

5 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Really hope so

From what I've seen I just think this guy will be an absolute stud. His weight might drop him but it shouldn't. I know there are no exact comparisons, but Pinkston and Jackson were both rake thin. And that was when corners and safeties could still mug receivers.

I really want the Eagles to pick a corner. I think WR is a massively overrated position in terms of importance. But with all that being said, I will be rooting for them to take Smith if he falls to us at 12, even if Surtain and Horn are both there. 

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

From what I've seen I just think this guy will be an absolute stud. His weight might drop him but it shouldn't. I know there are no exact comparisons, but Pinkston and Jackson were both rake thin. And that was when corners and safeties could still mug receivers.

I really want the Eagles to pick a corner. I think WR is a massively overrated position in terms of importance. But with all that being said, I will be rooting for them to take Smith if he falls to us at 12, even if Surtain and Horn are both there. 

I think we completely agree. I really want to solidify corner but it’s hard to pass on one of the top 5 talents in this draft if he falls to #12. If Smith is there you draft him. The only other realistic option I see the eagles can draft over Smith is Slater.

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I want them to take a corner but I also want a WR. I don't think it's an overrated position in terms of importance at all. That's certainly not the case with Howie. If we could trust him to pick a good WR in the second or third then ok great but we know we can't. WR can have a real impact on this team every week, I'm not so sure CB can.