Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with your point and I'm certainly no big Pickett guy but... Nobody thought Allen was going to be quite this good. First round talent sure but top tier? 

Yeah but this year nobody is convinced the first rounders are actually first rounders. mock drafts have The Bronco's taking Pickett at 9 and even then most say they half expect Denver to  trade for someone instead, even if Pickett goes at 9 he would be the lowest pick 1st QB off the board since EJ Manuel in 2013 and the 3rd lowest since 2000, in a draft year where a huge number of teams need a QB, and remembering that in recent history guys like Zac Wilson and Jared Goff were scouted as consensus top 3 picks and this years guys aren't that's a big red flag.

Allen's mobility and arm strength were always considered exceptional, but he was seen as an exceptional development project with massive upside if you could solidify his mechanics and consistency, well guess what, the Bills managed it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He will go top 5 because that's just what happens. I don't believe that he's a genuine top 5 talent and he's not worth multiple picks to get him. 

Who was the last genuinely Top 5 talent drafted in the 1st round?  This somewhat supports your first statement.  Rarely are Top 5 talents even taken in the 1st round, but that's just how it goes with every team reaching to land "the guy".  It's actually a pretty pathetic success rate for superstar QBs.   I suspect this will never change and the majority of 2022 1st round QBs won't amount to anything more than a serviceable starter either.   

We also have to accept that most high pick QBs are dropped into brutal situations immediately and asked to save the day.

2021 - None; 5 taken

2020 - Burrow...maybe Herbert; 4 taken

2019 - None; 3 taken

2018 - Allen; 5 taken

2017 - Mahomes; 2 taken

2016 -  None; 3 taken

2015 - None; 2 taken

2014 - None; 3 taken

2013 - None;  1 taken

2012 - Luck; 4 taken

2011 - Newton; 5 taken

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

in a draft year where a huge number of teams need a QB

I mean this concerns me to be honest. A large number of teams and yet those picking high and have a need are still unsure. 

My prediction on how my draft will go. 

14 picks go by at 15 minutes per pick....that's 3.5 hours on the sofa waiting for the Eagles.

Pickett and Corral are still on the board. Really?

"OMG, go get em. Make the pick."

" The Eagles have traded the pick...Steelers are on the clock  "

"Noooooooooo.........."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CouchKing said:

My prediction on how my draft will go. 

14 picks go by at 15 minutes per pick....that's 3.5 hours on the sofa waiting for the Eagles.

Pickett and Corral are still on the board. Really?

"OMG, go get em. Make the pick."

" The Eagles have traded the pick...Steelers are on the clock  "

"Noooooooooo.........."

The number of teams that need a QB, if Pickett and Corral are both still there at 15, picking either would make Howie the dumbest GM in football.

I say again, when so many teams need a QB and the first QB off the board is currently projecting in early mocks as 9th overall, you shouldn't touch them, in 2021 the same mock drafts had Lawrence, Wilson as locks in the top 3 and either Lance, Fields or both going in the top 8.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean this concerns me to be honest. A large number of teams and yet those picking high and have a need are still unsure. 

We really don't know if teams are unsure or not.  They aren't the ones putting the mock drafts out and, as you have noted, teams do crazy things for QBs.  

On draft day, don't be surprised when alot of maneuvering happens by QB hungry teams to get into the top 5 to select these guys that everyone here thinks aren't any good.   I just hope the Eagles don't get into that game too heavily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The number of teams that need a QB, if Pickett and Corral are both still there at 15, picking either would make Howie the dumbest GM in football.

I say again, when so many teams need a QB and the first QB off the board is currently projecting in early mocks as 9th overall, you shouldn't touch them, in 2021 the same mock drafts had Lawrence, Wilson as locks in the top 3 and either Lance, Fields or both going in the top 8.

If we don't do anything stupid prior to the draft (e.g. trade all 3 of our 1s and maybe more for Wilson or Rodgers), I can easily see Howie using one of those 1s on a QB if one HE likes (disregard the board set up by the scouts) falls to one of those picks.  In fact, I predict it.  And it will increase my dislike for the guy even more (if that is possible).  

I have never wanted him to prove me wrong more than now ("now" being the next 3 months).  

• Like 3

This discussion assumes the Eagles don't acquire Wilson, Watson, Rodgers or any of the other veteran QBs that may become available.

If the Eagles enter the draft Night 1 with picks 15, 16, and 19 should anyone be seriously disappointed if they came away with an edge rusher, CB, and Pickett?  I don't think so.  There are still 7 more picks to be made and ample opportunity to beef up the defense, select a WR in the 3rd/4th round -- plus the Eagles have some money this year to fill holes in FA.

The QB the Eagles have now is not good enough, and he isn't going to become good enough.  He doesn't have the physical ability to be a top-half passer nor the processing ability to throw with anticipation.  There is a school of thought that says roll with Hurts for 2022 and draft a QB in 2023 -- one issue with that thinking is, when you need the QB in 2023 both Hurts and Minshew will be gone.  That QB you'll be drafting (somewhere in the 15-20 range again) will have to carry the load without a safety net.

Draft a QB in 2022 (if Sirianni feels there is one worth developing) and you have your two other 1st round picks to bolster the defense, Minshew as a security blanket if the prospect isn't ready Week 1, and whatever pick you would acquire in trading Hurts.  The time to move on is now, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

If the Eagles enter the draft Night 1 with picks 15, 16, and 19 should anyone be seriously disappointed if they came away with an edge rusher, CB, and Pickett?  I don't think so. 

I mean... Initially the reaction from some may be? But its so hard to tell. I mean look nobody thought Allen was going to be this elite QB. Nobody thought Mahomes was going to be this damn good. Hell Rodgers was drafted late first round. Brady was a 6th round pick. Wilson was a third round pick. I'm not huge on Pickett (I'm also not out on him) but at this point who freaking knows. 

On 1/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

On 1/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, time2rock said:

If we don't do anything stupid prior to the draft (e.g. trade all 3 of our 1s and maybe more for Wilson or Rodgers), I can easily see Howie using one of those 1s on a QB if one HE likes (disregard the board set up by the scouts) falls to one of those picks.  In fact, I predict it.  And it will increase my dislike for the guy even more (if that is possible).  

I have never wanted him to prove me wrong more than now ("now" being the next 3 months).  

On 1/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... Initially the reaction from some may be? But its so hard to tell. I mean look nobody thought Allen was going to be this elite QB. Nobody thought Mahomes was going to be this damn good. Hell Rodgers was drafted late first round. Brady was a 6th round pick. Wilson was a third round pick. I'm not huge on Pickett (I'm also not out on him) but at this point who freaking knows. 

I know a lot of this board, particularly since the Tampa Bay game, have just written off Hurts, but I think and hope the Eagles, while not being committed to him, want to see what he has in his second year in Siriani's system. 

Would it be a disaster if Howie picked Pickett or Corral with 15? Probably not, but it would feel like a waste when we already have a developmental QB that we still don't know enough about yet. 

As CC says - if Pickett and Corral both fall to 15, it's a pretty major red flag given the teams above us who need a QB and are in a worse situation there than we are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

we already have a developmental QB that we still don't know enough about yet. 

We know more than enough, some of you just choose not to see it.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I know a lot of this board, particularly since the Tampa Bay game, have just written off Hurts, but I think and hope the Eagles, while not being committed to him, want to see what he has in his second year in Siriani's system. 

Would it be a disaster if Howie picked Pickett or Corral with 15? Probably not, but it would feel like a waste when we already have a developmental QB that we still don't know enough about yet. 

As CC says - if Pickett and Corral both fall to 15, it's a pretty major red flag given the teams above us who need a QB and are in a worse situation there than we are.

IMO it would be a waste of a pick taking a QB unless you are guaranteed to get someone markedly better than Hurts.  And I don’t see it playing out that way this year with how weak (relatively speaking) the class appears to be.  They need to be patient for a year and try to grab one next year if the same questions about Hurts are still lingering.  

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but the highlight videos I've watched of him im not a big fan of his throwing motion... Some of his throws it looks like he's side arming it instead of an over the shoulder motion with his hips driving into the pass... 

I hear Pickett is having a bit of trouble throwing the out from the opposite hash - hasn’t been a problem before… new ball though.

20 hours ago, Aspiritfall said:

Maybe it's just me but the highlight videos I've watched of him im not a big fan of his throwing motion... Some of his throws it looks like he's side arming it instead of an over the shoulder motion with his hips driving into the pass... 

Early reports are saying none of the QBs are looking impressive.  Seems to jive with what most here have been saying.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Early reports are saying none of the QBs are looking impressive.  Seems to jive with what most here have been saying.  

Yeah I mean I don't think any blow anyone away and I don't think any have the real big intangibles that you think can develop in to The Guy. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean I don't think any blow anyone away and I don't think any have the real big intangibles that you think can develop in to The Guy. 

42 TDs to 7 INTs, ratings from 120 to 165 in 5 seasons, showing steady improvement.
IMHO Pickett is the best QB coming out this year but we don't need a QB as much as other positions.

And I don't understand all the hoopla about Willis. His completion rate has dropped steadily every year
and he lost 3 of his last 5 games, playing against so-so teams.

I think Pickett is a solid QB, but I don’t think he has the ability to turn a franchise around. He has potential though to be that guy, you just need to put him in the right spot. With that being said he’s not the type of prospect you should move up and get from our position. I don’t see the value there in doing that.

2 hours ago, AngryBird said:

I think Pickett is a solid QB, but I don’t think he has the ability to turn a franchise around. He has potential though to be that guy, you just need to put him in the right spot. With that being said he’s not the type of prospect you should move up and get from our position. I don’t see the value there in doing that.

I worry that Howie will feel the need to make a splash and completely misuse the collection of picks he managed to accumulate by using 2 of them to move up for a QB (whether that is Pickett or someone else).  IMO that would suck as much as trading all 3 (and more) for Wilson or Rodgers.  He needs to be smart about how he uses these picks - rather than think he can build a championship roster in a single season, he should use a slow, methodical approach and just start adding top end talent with all those picks and try to build the roster over a couple of seasons with as much promising young talent possible.  Hurts may not be "the guy" long term but he can certainly serve as a bridge QB for another season (or 2) - hopefully one of the next QB classes offers prospects with much higher ceilings.  Personally I'd hate to even use our 3rd in a package to move up a couple spots for a QB like he did this last year with Smith.  If one of those he likes happens to fall to 15, I think it is almost a lock he takes one (which won't suck as much as the above scenarios but I still think we should focus on other areas of the roster).  

• Like 3

Im sticking with my gut feeling that Howie loves Pickett and will go all in on him. Just too many signs point to that direction. I like Pickett a lot but not so much to give up all the capital I think Howie will have up giving to get him. 

Now players all off season will move up and down the board until draft day. Our best hope is Pickett either drops making it more manageable to get him or he sky rockets up where hes just out of reach, like for example the Lions will take him at pick 2. 

• Like 1

No way Pickett and Corral make it out of Top 11 picks.

If you want Pickett, trade up for him. Probably 2 firsts plus to get up to #3 or #4 overall.

If you stay put at 15, 16, 19, maybe Strong is there.

Better take your QB at 15 or 16 and don't wait for 19 because the Steelers are at #20 and will probably jump past you at 19 for a shot at a QB.

Not in the 1st.  We need players at other positions.  Let the other teams overdraft this year's QB's.

they better not draft a qb in the first few round let alone use a lot to trade up for one.. if you think we need a qb that badly work the phones and try and trade for a package of Wilson and DK and use the rest of the picks we have left on defense.