Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

Interesting and somewhat fun first episode to S2.  Not that much a part of the central ongoing story, more like a pit stop.  We need a gif of Yoda Baby on the speeder bike looking like a puppy with its head out the car window.

Glad we’re getting some small stories as well and not just baby yoda 

some interesting/fun visuals 

Cobb Vanth (olyphant) is riding a speeder made of one of Anakin’s pod engines. He’d been introduced in one of the books so this spoiler guess was correct.

R5 droid is same as in ANH. Krayt dragon storyline was great if you played KOTOR back in the day.

Confirmed that was the sound obi-wan used to scare off sand people in ANH.

Was fun to see first person through the telescope 

read but didn’t see that group at right were wearing identical outfits to extras on Jakku from Ep7

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Interesting and somewhat fun first episode to S2.  Not that much a part of the central ongoing story, more like a pit stop.  We need a gif of Yoda Baby on the speeder bike looking like a puppy with its head out the car window.

Agree. It had lots of SW nostalgia and Easter Eggs, but the main plot was just ok. The last scene was predictable and foreshadowed but still cool.

I love the look and feel and cinematography. And continuing the space western.

Didn't realize until the credits John Leguizamo was in it.

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

Agree. It had lots of SW nostalgia and Easter Eggs, but the main plot was just ok. The last scene was predictable and foreshadowed but still cool.

I love the look and feel and cinematography. And continuing the space western.

Didn't realize until the credits John Leguizamo was in it.

I totally missed that.  Had no clue he was in that episode.

First episode was obviously very well produced and I enjoyed it as a standalone story. Again though i question the slow progression of the main - baby - arc. It’s not even clear why Mando has to go to tattooine. He needed to talk to the mando apparently, yet there wasn’t any actual story progression by the time he left. We’re left wondering why he even went there at all. Then we see the menacing new bad guy in the final scene. He’s been watching all these events unfold from a distance. Dun dun dun. Ugh... they’ve done this ending in half the shows. It’s contrived. Just advance the Fing story normally. 

6 hours ago, opengeo said:

First episode was obviously very well produced and I enjoyed it as a standalone story. Again though i question the slow progression of the main - baby - arc. It’s not even clear why Mando has to go to tattooine. He needed to talk to the mando apparently, yet there wasn’t any actual story progression by the time he left. We’re left wondering why he even went there at all. Then we see the menacing new bad guy in the final scene. He’s been watching all these events unfold from a distance. Dun dun dun. Ugh... they’ve done this ending in half the shows. It’s contrived. Just advance the Fing story normally. 

He said he needed to find the remains of his fellow Mandalorians who can help guide him to find out where to take "The Child" to his people because even people across the SW universe don't know what race Yoda was.  I don't get why only other Mandalorians can help with with this but that's what they're going with.  But because the guy with the armor was not an actual Mandalorian that's why there was no resolution to that when he left.  He was just a guy who bought the armor from the Jawas so it was a dead-end in that sense.

Character wise, it shows Mando as being diplomatic and negotiating with people instead of just taking what he wants.  He approached ready to fight for the armor, then accepted the proposal to help defeat a monster and save a town in exchange for the armor.  It's risky, but shows that Mando isn't going to just always be impulsive.  Maybe having a child has softened him up.  Ha.  

The last scene was obvious the entire time, but apart from the specifics I knew they would do some kind of twist or surprise at the end like they did last season.  

I thought it was well directed and it looked good.  I just didn't care for the main story of stopping this monster.  It felt like filler when the first episode of a season should give you more than that. But this is the first live action TV show they've done so I'm just strapped in and along for the ride.  I wanted a bit more out of the plot, but it's still good SW material overall.

Obviously, the "menacing new bad guy in the final scene"

Spoiler

was a Fett, was the Mandolorian that Mando went looking for, but never actually found.  Will the Fett

be helpful, or evil?  Stay tuned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

He said he needed to find the remains of his fellow Mandalorians who can help guide him to find out where to take "The Child" to his people because even people across the SW universe don't know what race Yoda was.  I don't get why only other Mandalorians can help with with this but that's what they're going with.  But because the guy with the armor was not an actual Mandalorian that's why there was no resolution to that when he left.  He was just a guy who bought the armor from the Jawas so it was a dead-end in that sense.

Character wise, it shows Mando as being diplomatic and negotiating with people instead of just taking what he wants.  He approached ready to fight for the armor, then accepted the proposal to help defeat a monster and save a town in exchange for the armor.  It's risky, but shows that Mando isn't going to just always be impulsive.  Maybe having a child has softened him up.  Ha.  

The last scene was obvious the entire time, but apart from the specifics I knew they would do some kind of twist or surprise at the end like they did last season.  

I thought it was well directed and it looked good.  I just didn't care for the main story of stopping this monster.  It felt like filler when the first episode of a season should give you more than that. But this is the first live action TV show they've done so I'm just strapped in and along for the ride.  I wanted a bit more out of the plot, but it's still good SW material overall.

So it seems like...you basically agree with me. 👍

7 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Obviously, the "menacing new bad guy in the final scene"

Reveal hidden contents

was a Fett, was the Mandolorian that Mando went looking for, but never actually found.  Will the Fett

be helpful, or evil?  Stay tuned.

:lol: I didn't make this connection at all. All I was wondering as Mando left Tatooine is why the F they wasted another 53 minutes of precious time to take the story nowhere.

16 hours ago, opengeo said:

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

Honestly I’m cool with it having episodes that don’t advance the plot that much. I very much enjoy firing up Disney+ once a week to watch space cowboy serials. 

Honestly everything these days has this huge overarching plot. The problem with advancing the plot is that eventually you run out of plot. Id rather that happen later than sooner. 

10 hours ago, Bill said:

Honestly I’m cool with it having episodes that don’t advance the plot that much. I very much enjoy firing up Disney+ once a week to watch space cowboy serials. 

Honestly everything these days has this huge overarching plot. The problem with advancing the plot is that eventually you run out of plot. Id rather that happen later than sooner. 

I completely agree about the overarching plot.  A lot of shows do that where there's a case-of-the-week story and then somehow the bigger story is sprinkled in, sometimes as bookends or a "surprise" at the end of the episode.  

I also agree I like the space western vibe, I kept thinking that again during this episode,  I just felt like - and to me this is a minor thing because I still liked it - that I wasn't as interested in this defeat the monster plot as maybe something else.  I didn't need big overarching but this didn't feel like a season opener to me.  But like I said, I like the show and it hasn't let me down.  It gets it right, the look and feel and this should be a blueprint for SW material going forward.

last season there were episodes that all tied in together towards the end, i expect that's what will happen this season as well. just get to ahsoka already !

• Like 1

Couldn't help but think of this at times while watching S2E1:

This episode was uh....something. I don’t really know. I’ll probably watch it once more to get a better feeling for it. But my feelings right now is that it’s the weakest episode of the show. 

but there was one scene I tell you that made me laugh REALLY hard...but I don’t think this scene was meant to be funny 

• Like 1

I like season 2 so far, but they're really milking the story at this point. Lots of fluff to get more episodes with season 3 already in the plans. More episodes isn't a bad thing; I just hope it comes together well.

• Like 1

Good grief is this show frustrating. Again...why? What was the point of this episode? Why show the dude at the end of ep 1 and not show him at all in ep 2? Where is Giancarlo’s character from the season 1 finale? How is baby’s character development going? Oh... he eats eggs. Got it. So cute. But we already knew that. Move on! Lol. Why have a story arc at all if it will never advance? Turtles move faster. It’s clear the pace is deliberate though, so ill just enjoy the more serialized format for what it is. Production quality is amazing obviously. 

I kept waiting for the alien to rip out of baby Yoda’s stomach.  Maybe next episode.

I'm assuming theyre gunna have to hit hyperspeed next episode, and then they'll find out that baby yoda is keeping the eggs safe,not just eating them

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, opengeo said:

Good grief is this show frustrating. Again...why? What was the point of this episode? Why show the dude at the end of ep 1 and not show him at all in ep 2? Where is Giancarlo’s character from the season 1 finale? How is baby’s character development going? Oh... he eats eggs. Got it. So cute. But we already knew that. Move on! Lol. Why have a story arc at all if it will never advance? Turtles move faster. It’s clear the pace is deliberate though, so ill just enjoy the more serialized format for what it is. Production quality is amazing obviously. 

you really don't get that this show is all about the journey ? just like last year everything will eventually come together by the end. 

btw did any of you see the battlestar galatica easter egg in the beginning of ep 2 ? 

On 11/2/2020 at 5:56 AM, opengeo said:

For some reason this show reminds me more of one off shows from the 70's and 80's (before on demand) where each episode was just an adventure in and of itself. Kind of like the 6 million dollar man, the A Team, and Air Wolf. It just has that feel to it. I find myself just enjoying the episodes for what they are without focusing too much on the main plot.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, The_Omega said:

I kept waiting for the alien to rip out of baby Yoda’s stomach.  Maybe next episode.

The frog? She has a bad vibe for sure. I think there's more to her character. Maybe she's trying to take Mando into a trap.

20 hours ago, BFit said:

I'm assuming theyre gunna have to hit hyperspeed next episode, and then they'll find out that baby yoda is keeping the eggs safe,not just eating them

I thought that they were going to do that in this episode, show that Yoda was somehow protecting them.  I also thought the woman was going to die and they'd deliver the eggs to her husband.

You can't criticize fans for wanting more to the story when...the show itself creates more to the story then goes away from it.  Giancarlo's character to end the season seemed like a big deal that was going to set up season 2...so far nothing to do with it.

I don't mind a different adventure each week...the main goal is still to get the child to his people and they'll stretch that out.  But to set up big things at the end of season 2 then start out this way hasn't been great.

• Like 1