Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

On 11/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, NOTW said:

I'm surprised none of the new shows or movies have gone to Coruscant ever since Revenge of the Sith.  Unless I missed something.

Hi production cost maybe. Lots of cg work I’d imagine to complete those shots. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, NOTW said:

They should have had a stronger first episode after you've waited a year, then you can do some filler types...as long as they're well made.  This one was poorly written and inconsistent.

Baby Yoda in season 1 used the force several times to help Mando..this season he's useless.  

Mando sees trouble from the spiders starting to crawl out and stands there and waits...and waits...and waits...then yells to run.  Why wait?  That was stupid.

Too many ex machina/just in time moments.  The X-wing guys show up just at the right time at the end to save them.  Mando finally uses grenades and flame thrower at the last moment instead of sooner.  The frog lady got dressed in like 2 seconds after getting out of the water.  The X-wings threated a couple times to stop or they'll shoot...and they never shot, they followed him into dangerous terrain for a while.  the writing should be better.

It still looked good so there's that.

this is the only part of The Mandalorian that lets me know I'm watching Star Wars and not some other random space sci-fi...

13 hours ago, opengeo said:

Hi production cost maybe. Lots of cg work I’d imagine to complete those shots. 

Maybe.  But they put CGI effort into a giant monster and shots at sea which I've always heard is tough to shoot scenes on water.  Idk.

Put on ep 3 Revenge of the Sith in the background today.  Random thought.

Obi-Wan arrives at a planet where Grievous is hiding.  He presumably has never been there, or at least it's been a long time.  He manages to get a giant animal to ride around.  A giant animal making loud noises stomping around and making screeching noises.  He's supposed to be sneaking around.

Then later during battle, explosions and blaster fire he whistles and not only does this beast hear him and come immediately...this beast has just met Obi-Wan.  How in the world is it trained to obey his command.  Just something weird they throw in there to have another creature.  All they needed was him to creep up into the rafters to spy and then drop in.  No creature needed.  

I just learned that at the end of the Season 2 premiere, that was Boba Fett. Had no clue. Also didn't recognize that's its the same dude who played Jango Fett in the new canon movies. :o Seems I am last to this party. Makes me feel somewhat better about that premiere, but this was totally not clear to me at all and I watched the episode twice.

Boba-Fett-in-The-Mandalorian-Season-2.jp

Untitled-2-58d6.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

It’s most likely boba fett. Boba fett is genetically identical to the other clones with the exception that he ages normally. Theoretically, it could be another clone. But yes, it is very likely Boba.

17 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

It’s most likely boba fett. Boba fett is genetically identical to the other clones with the exception that he ages normally. Theoretically, it could be another clone. But yes, it is very likely Boba.

Yes, that's what I read today.

6 hours ago, opengeo said:

I just learned that at the end of the Season 2 premiere, that was Boba Fett. Had no clue. Also didn't recognize that's its the same dude who played Jango Fett in the new canon movies. :o Seems I am last to this party. Makes me feel somewhat better about that premiere, but this was totally not clear to me at all and I watched the episode twice.

No offense, but that was painfully obvious. 

7 hours ago, opengeo said:

35 minutes ago, NOTW said:

No offense, but that was painfully obvious. 

I don’t think they’ve straight up said it was Boba Fett yet, but I’m surprised you didn’t connect the dots. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I don’t think they’ve straight up said it was Boba Fett yet, but I’m surprised you didn’t connect the dots. 

• The actor in the cameo played Jango, and Boba is a clone of him
  • The armor was Boba Fett's
  • Recovered by Jawas on Tattoine, where Boba Fett "died"
  • Production news between seasons teased Boba Fett would be a character
  • When they go to kill the Krayt dragon, the sand people say it lives in an abandoned Sarlac pit.
  • In the episode, Mando gets out of the dragon they're chasing by going inside it and then flying out with his jet pack.
  • The Marshall is able to use Boba's functioning jet pack in the episode.  Unless he repaired it, it likely was working when Boba used it

Screen rant also notes there is a book (Legends, no longer canon) that explained this is exactly how Boba Fett escaped Sarlac using his jet pack.

In the now non-canon Star Wars Legends (formerly Star Wars: The Expanded Universe), the story A Barve Like That: The Tale of Boba Fett even shows Fett managing to get the Sarlacc's consciousness Susejo to contract its muscles around his jet pack, causing it to ignite and allowing him to get free. With Mando using his jet pack to blast out of the krayt dragon, this offers a major hint that this aspect of Legends has seemingly been retrofitted into Boba Fett's history within the canonized Star Wars movies and shows. The presence of Cobb Vanth himself also offers evidence of Fett using his jet pack to escape in wearing Fett's old armor.

Occam's razor: it's Boba Fett.  Sure, they could have it be another clone who was maybe a stormtrooper who ended up on Tattoine, spying on another Mandalorian and the Marshall wearing Boba Fett's armor...but that's a more convoluted explanation.

This episode quickly became a background episode & I got distracted during it. I was into the episode at first, opening scene was pretty funny. But it wasn’t interesting enough to keep my attention I guess. I’ll have to rewatch it, but early thoughts on this episode is  👎👎

One of the episodes this year I thought I saw a guy running around with this object that looked like the infamous "ice cream maker" in Empire Strikes Back when they're evacuating Cloud City.

willrow-hood-1574770211.jpg

I dunno guys.  This show is fine and dandy as Saturday morning cartoon, but the hype machine is way over the top.  The whole Baby Yoda craze reminds me of Alf back in the day.  that was also an Ok but overrated show.

52 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I dunno guys.  This show is fine and dandy as Saturday morning cartoon, but the hype machine is way over the top.  The whole Baby Yoda craze reminds me of Alf back in the day.  that was also an Ok but overrated show.

Season 1 deserved the hype, and baby yoda is still a saint. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

This episode quickly became a background episode & I got distracted during it. I was into the episode at first, opening scene was pretty funny. But it wasn’t interesting enough to keep my attention I guess. I’ll have to rewatch it, but early thoughts on this episode is  👎👎

You mean episode 3? 

I just watched 4. It was not a filler/background episode. It wasn't the most entertaining, but got back to some important characters, introduced a new wrinkle into the plot, heavy Empire influence, and advanced the story.

Interesting that Carl Weathers directed. I don't care for his character. Cara Dune is just ok. I was much more interested in Katie Sackoff (spelling?) as Bo Katan and the other Mandalorians. 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You mean episode 3? 

I just watched 4. It was not a filler/background episode. It wasn't the most entertaining, but got back to some important characters, introduced a new wrinkle into the plot, heavy Empire influence, and advanced the story.

Interesting that Carl Weathers directed. I don't care for his character. Cara Dune is just ok. I was much more interested in Katie Sackoff (spelling?) as Bo Katan and the other Mandalorians. 

Nope talking about episode 4, I loved episode 3. 

Gotta have the right beer to watch The Mandalorian.  NJ brewery Bolero Snort made This Is The Whey IPA.  It's good.  Since their name is Bolero Snort all their beers have a cow/bull theme name.  

Anyway, this episode began more like the Scooby Doo episode of the week, but ended with a nice big picture story line twist.  Some good action in this one, more towards the end, though.  And I do think Gina Carano is sexy AF so I don't mind seeing her.  So first 2 episodes were filler then a really good 3rd episode and now this one was mostly filler, but seems to lead into a hopefully promising 5th episode.

20201120_223027 (1).jpg

21 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Take back what I said. It was a good episode, & I enjoyed it. I just didn’t pay enough attention first time around

I liked this week's episode. Possibly more than last week's. It was filler, but done well. Really had it all. Old friends. Mortal enemies. Cute child doing cute things. Storm troopers galore and a very imperial looking imperial base. Land speeders. Tie fighters. Republic uniform. Vader armor. Speed run in a canyon...again. Can't wait to meet Ahsoka.

• Like 1