Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

The lead heroes were a woman Jedi, a black man, and a Hispanic man. Others were several women including an Asian woman, and a black man.  All the villains were white men.

But that wasn't woke enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:16 AM, Green_Guinness said:

Agree on both counts.  Didn't really 'feel' his character.  Like they tried to push it and make you like it, but it just lacked something.  Then again, I didn't really 'feel' the whole trilogy with how they basically rebooted the original trilogy with parallel storylines while adding these new characters that just failed to capture you as Luke, Han, Leia and Lando did.  Billy D did more in his limited time than Johnny did in his maxed time.

His character was great in TFA, then Rian Johnson killed the character in TLJ along with everything else I loved about Star Wars.

• Like 1

Here's how I would have wrote it....

Finn is one of Kylo's Stormtroopers who raid the village trying to find the map to Luke (which was a stupid plot device and I'd probably change that too, but we'll keep it for now.)

Finn gets shot during the raid and is laying there injured - Kylo tells his troops to leave and orders them to leave Finn behind as they move on to the next village.

Max Von Sydow's character then finds him, nurses him back to health and reveals to him that he is a former Jedi and is in posession of the map.  He tasks Finn and Rey (his "neice") to take the map to Leia before Kylo gets to it.

Pretty much the rest of the movie could have played out the way TFA did from there. 

While I liked old man at the beginning of the Force Awakens, and how he clearly knows Kylo and knows Leia...he is NEVER referenced by anyone in the movie after he gets killed/Poe captured. Like not name-dropped, no flashbacks, no offhand comment about how a great man was lost. Like the scene felt sold and world-building in the moment... and then was just dropped entirely.

SAD!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Agent23 said:

While I liked old man at the beginning of the Force Awakens, and how he clearly knows Kylo and knows Leia...he is NEVER referenced by anyone in the movie after he gets killed/Poe captured. Like not name-dropped, no flashbacks, no offhand comment about how a great man was lost. Like the scene felt sold and world-building in the moment... and then was just dropped entirely.

SAD!

Yeah that was weird.  But JJ Abrams likes mystery just for mystery sake.  It was a smaller scale version of the plot points in the 3rd movie:  go to a place to see a person to get a thing, that leads you to have to to go another place to see another person to get another thing...

5 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

just watched the trailer for season 2 of madalorian. looks good. you do get a quick glance at ahsoka. 

Fail to post it, you did.

This is the Way.

• Like 3

Really looking forward to this.  The trailer for S2 looks very alluring.

BTW, what you did, @NOTW, it is there and see it I do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, opengeo said:

Mandalorian drama! Pedro Pascal out as man behind the mask. Wonder how they make this work since we’ve seen him already.

https://cosmicbook.news/pedro-pascal-out-mandalorian-voice-acting-only?amp

I have to side with the producers on this.  Did Pascal not understand that Mandalorians keep their helmets on and that 'this is the way'?  I get it's probably uncomfortable in that suit all day while filming, but getting facetime is not what it's about here.  FFS, Hugo Weaving didn't get any facetime in V For Vendetta because that's the character and he agreed to play it (and F'ing NAILED that ish).  And is he really jealous of the attention Gina Carano and Baby Yoda get just because the show is called The Mandalorian?  If he really needs to feel like 'the star' and get star treatment then that's a bit narcissistic.  Are you still getting paid?  Is your show still popular and well received?  Isn't that all that matters?  I know these are rumours and conjecture at this point, but it doesn't sound good for Pedro.  You think Chris Pratt had an ish fit over the pub that Groot and Rocket got?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I have to side with the producers on this.  Did Pascal not understand that Mandalorians keep their helmets on and that 'this is the way'?  I get it's probably uncomfortable in that suit all day while filming, but getting facetime is not what it's about here.  FFS, Hugo Weaving didn't get any facetime in V For Vendetta because that's the character and he agreed to play it (and F'ing NAILED that ish).  And is he really jealous of the attention Gina Carano and Baby Yoda get just because the show is called The Mandalorian?  If he really needs to feel like 'the star' and get star treatment then that's a bit narcissistic.  Are you still getting paid?  Is your show still popular and well received?  Isn't that all that matters?  I know these are rumours and conjecture at this point, but it doesn't sound good for Pedro.  You think Chris Pratt had an ish fit over the pub that Groot and Rocket got?

I agree. Pedro seems like a bit of a dewsh. 

I don't actually see the point in hiring a "name" actor for a role that you won't see their face.  If you need to, you can hire a voice actor like they did for Darth Vader.  It's cheaper to have a guy record voice lines in the studio.  CGI characters like Groot and Rocket in Marvel have celebrity voices, I would argue you don't need a "name" for Groot.  

Just get a cheap stunt actor for Mandalorian and use any voice.  These days you have voice actors that can closely imitate voices which you see on cartoon or TV versions of characters.

• Like 1

New reports are coming out that those reports are a crock of ish. 

Also Pedro does mainly voice work for it anyway. 99% of the time it’s a stunt actor in the suit. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Also Pedro does mainly voice work for it anyway. 99% of the time it’s a stunt actor in the suit. 

are you saying cosmicbook.news may not be a reliable source ? 

4 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

are you saying cosmicbook.news may not be a reliable source ? 

Lol. 🖕😛 

I mean...i watched the mando documentary on Disney + and Pedro pascal seemed cool af. That’s why i was surprised to read this news. I sure hope it isn’t true. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, opengeo said:

Lol. 🖕😛 

I mean...i watched the mando documentary on Disney + and Pedro pascal seemed cool af. That’s why i was surprised to read this news. I sure hope it isn’t true. 

i was half kidding. i posted an article in the MCU thread and it seems the source may lack some integrity.  i dont know any of these reporter/bloggers so it can make it easy to fall for rumor. 

i do question this idea that mandalorians never take their helmets off. i mean we have seen the opposite many, many times throughout the skywalker saga, even in the movies. so why this sudden twist ? did it start after the first trilogy ? 

11 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i was half kidding. i posted an article in the MCU thread and it seems the source may lack some integrity.  i dont know any of these reporter/bloggers so it can make it easy to fall for rumor. 

i do question this idea that mandalorians never take their helmets off. i mean we have seen the opposite many, many times throughout the skywalker saga, even in the movies. so why this sudden twist ? did it start after the first trilogy ? 

It's also difficult to connect with a core/main character when you cannot see his face ever. Like...it's really not easy to do or a good idea. Human emotion is highly dependent on what we can see.

15 minutes ago, opengeo said:

It's also difficult to connect with a core/main character when you cannot see his face ever. Like...it's really not easy to do or a good idea. Human emotion is highly dependent on what we can see.

the fact that they did as well as they did was impressive, but yeah, thats a real tough sell. 

again though, why this sudden push ? jango fett wasnt wearing his mask, many mandalorians in clone wars and rebels took their helmets off. but now, oooooooh noooo. don't take that off.

maybe going back to a basic rule from years ago after the "great purge" ?   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

the fact that they did as well as they did was impressive, but yeah, thats a real tough sell. 

again though, why this sudden push ? jango fett wasnt wearing his mask, many mandalorians in clone wars and rebels took their helmets off. but now, oooooooh noooo. don't take that off.

Agree.  I think it's just ... *gasp* ... not the best writing direction for a show; any show. Trying a wee bit too hard to be edgy. That about sums it up.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, Bill said:

Oh yeah, well sources close to the situation tell me you're full of ish!  :lol:

Is this the same blog that keeps quoting some random youtube guy with all these rumors that Disney is going to fire Kennedy, bring back Lucas and retcon the new trilogy?  :roll:

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

It’s simple, this is the way.

• Like 1