Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

They should have had a stronger first episode after you've waited a year, then you can do some filler types...as long as they're well made.  This one was poorly written and inconsistent.

Baby Yoda in season 1 used the force several times to help Mando..this season he's useless.  

Mando sees trouble from the spiders starting to crawl out and stands there and waits...and waits...and waits...then yells to run.  Why wait?  That was stupid.

Too many ex machina/just in time moments.  The X-wing guys show up just at the right time at the end to save them.  Mando finally uses grenades and flame thrower at the last moment instead of sooner.  The frog lady got dressed in like 2 seconds after getting out of the water.  The X-wings threated a couple times to stop or they'll shoot...and they never shot, they followed him into dangerous terrain for a while.  the writing should be better.

It still looked good so there's that.

• Like 1

I feel like these steaming shows are becoming more like long, broken up movies and people are getting used to that. There still a good amount of shows on cable, like the flash, that do the whole weekly adventure shows and still connect to a season long arc. Feels just like what's happening with the mandalorian, and I'm fine with it. If it's done right, it's more fun in my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Too many ex machina/just in time moments.   

That's a Star Wars staple. The living and cosmic Force at work.

And the show just follows Mando. There aren’t scenes with other characters alone. They are just following him. Where as the major movies have scenes with the bad guys, side characters etc without the main cast. 

I definitely picked up a vibe that frog lady isn’t what she seems. I know characters in the Star Wars universe are very tech savvy, obviously. But she went from looking like a helpless refugee, to being able to calibrate that bounty Hunter droid to speak to Mando in his language. At first she couldn’t seem to handle the cold whatsoever, next thing we know she left the ship no problem with her eggs and somehow found some heated pools. I have so many questions there, how did she know those heated pools were even there? I’m guessing it has something to do with sensing the heat. I don’t know. But Why leave the protection of an actual Mandalorian, with your precious eggs, while stranded on a foreign & seeming hostile planet that’s the worst place for warm blooded creature, and venture into an unknown cave? She clearly doesn’t know how to fight given she was zero help to Mando against the spiders, or maybe she was just giving him that impression for some twist later on.

I’m cool with the Mandalorian doing just random adventures with no overlying main arc. I’m down with that. But even with looking at this episode with that POV, it was still weak. 

also now that episodes been out for a few days, I thought frog lady hopping away from the spiders was absolutely hilarious. Yeah it’s a frog. That’s what it does. But that really took away the seriousness of the scene from me & made me LOL

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

You thought it was good? 

I thought it was enjoyable.  I liken the show to the old Land of the Lost.  Laughably bad at times, a lot of the time, but still a joy to watch.  If it was a Star Wars movie, it would be a Star Wars movie, not a 30 minute weekly show.  And, as I recall it, a number of the Star Wars movies were laughably bad, too, but a lot less enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

I thought it was enjoyable.  I liken the show to the old Land of the Lost.  Laughably bad at times, a lot of the time, but still a joy to watch.  If it was a Star Wars movie, it would be a Star Wars movie, not a 30 minute weekly show.  And, as I recall it, a number of the Star Wars movies were laughably bad, too, but a lot less enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong I really like the show and the look and feel and soundtrack I enjoy.  I think these last 2 episodes would have been better had they been the 3rd and 4th episodes rather than the first thing out of the gate after how season 2 ended. 

We should see Moff Gideon soon, we've seen Boba Fett teased and we know they cast Ashoka...there are now only 6 episodes left so either they're going to get moving on those plot lines and characters in the next episode or 2, or they're going to slow burn build up to something in the last 1-2 episodes where all that comes into play.

I mean "I'm here for it" as they say, it's still IMO the best representation of post-ROTJ Star Wars.  

• Like 1

Something I don't understand is why he has no connection to the other Mandalorians, and why if there are other Mandalorians out there they aren't aware of him or haven't heard by now about a Mandalorian bounty hunter who was on the run from everyone in the bounty hunting group, at least twice on the radar of the New Republic, and different people after him...they haven't found out and tried to reach him?

I don't remember the reasons for that.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Don't get me wrong I really like the show and the look and feel and soundtrack I enjoy.  I think these last 2 episodes would have been better had they been the 3rd and 4th episodes rather than the first thing out of the gate after how season 2 ended. 

We should see Moff Gideon soon, we've seen Boba Fett teased and we know they cast Ashoka...there are now only 6 episodes left so either they're going to get moving on those plot lines and characters in the next episode or 2, or they're going to slow burn build up to something in the last 1-2 episodes where all that comes into play.

I mean "I'm here for it" as they say, it's still IMO the best representation of post-ROTJ Star Wars.  

i get what you're saying there. i said earlier in here that we need to get to ahsoka already so i'm looking forward to this season really getting on a roll. also don't forget they have bo-katan  cast. im assuming she will be one of the mandalorians that mando seeks out and thats when we see ahsoka. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Something I don't understand is why he has no connection to the other Mandalorians, and why if there are other Mandalorians out there they aren't aware of him or haven't heard by now about a Mandalorian bounty hunter who was on the run from everyone in the bounty hunting group, at least twice on the radar of the New Republic, and different people after him...they haven't found out and tried to reach him?

I don't remember the reasons for that.

possibly because he's not from mandalore ? did they state the there were other's in the creed that weren't from there or that he was the only one ? 

3 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

possibly because he's not from mandalore ? did they state the there were other's in the creed that weren't from there or that he was the only one ? 

He’s a foundling, so not of Mandalore who took the oath to live the Mandalorian life.  That being said, he also, by saving baby yoda, forced the hiding mandalorian to expose themselves. Also, bounty hunting does not appear to be a favored profession for the mandalorians. That was hinted early season 1.   So between the mandalorians scattering, his actions, and his profession, it’s not terribly surprising why he’s not warmly received. I’m sure once he actually finds other Mandolirians we’ll get more detail. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

He’s a foundling, so not of Mandalore who took the oath to live the Mandalorian life.  That being said, he also, by saving baby yoda, forced the hiding mandalorian to expose themselves. Also, bounty hunting does not appear to be a favored profession for the mandalorians. That was hinted early season 1.   So between the mandalorians scattering, his actions, and his profession, it’s not terribly surprising why he’s not warmly received. I’m sure once he actually finds other Mandolirians we’ll get more detail. 

you're speaking of the scene in the covert ? if so, i was under the impression the real issue was working for the imperials. i could be wrong though. be a good scene to re-visit. either way you're correct, we will find out more once mando gets in contact with more of his own. 

23 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

you're speaking of the scene in the covert ? if so, i was under the impression the real issue was working for the imperials. i could be wrong though. be a good scene to re-visit. either way you're correct, we will find out more once mando gets in contact with more of his own. 

I could be overstating it, but I got the impression between that and earlier scenes where he was generally given a cold reception by all except the leader and that in part was driven by his profession. But it could also be because he worked with an imperial. 

it may be a combo of the two. 

one thing i wonder though. why doesnt he seem to know anything about the force or jedis ?  even the armorer seemed to be guessing at what baby yodas powers might be rather than saying oh yeah thats jedi powers. 

3 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

it may be a combo of the two. 

one thing i wonder though. why doesnt he seem to know anything about the force or jedis ?  even the armorer seemed to be guessing at what baby yodas powers might be rather than saying oh yeah thats jedi powers. 

This takes place only a handful of years after return of the Jedi. Han Solo said the force was just ancient religious nonsense in new hope. While he may be a believer now, he’s one of a Very small group of people who actually saw Luke or others use the force. So it’s probably not that surprising that others in the galaxy don’t know what it is. 

Has it been posted that the bald guy at the end of episode 1 is Boba Fett?

He's being played by the guy that played Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones.

14 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

Has it been posted that the bald guy at the end of episode 1 is Boba Fett?

He's being played by the guy that played Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones.

Yes

20 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

This takes place only a handful of years after return of the Jedi. Han Solo said the force was just ancient religious nonsense in new hope. While he may be a believer now, he’s one of a Very small group of people who actually saw Luke or others use the force. So it’s probably not that surprising that others in the galaxy don’t know what it is. 

true, but if you include the clone wars & rebels animated series, the jedi were on mandalore itself quite a bit and helped liberate it from maul. i know thats about 20-30yrs prior to this series and i'm probably overanalyzing it, just seems like an unnecessarily created plot hole. 

19 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Except everyone should have known who Darth Vader was and there would have been stories of his powers and what he can do.  Plus the Emperor.  

This is a few years after ROTJ...in The Force Awakens which is like 30 years later, an orphan on a remote junk planet Jakku knows the legend of Luke Skywalker.  Maz Kanata is what hundreds of years old or something and she has knowledge of the Force.  Jabba in ROTJ says Luke is using "an old Jedi mind trick."  In Rogue One, Chirrut knows about the Force and talks about it and that was before Luke came on the scene.  The rebels still used the phrase "May the Force be with you" in A New Hope before anyone knew Luke had the Force.  People knew about the Force all that time...but in The Mandalorian all of a sudden no one knows about the force?

The woman Mando talks to on Tattoine, she seems to know everything.  She conveniently knows people, places and has been on Tattoine a long time...the home of Anakin Skywalker who famously became the biggest villain in the galaxy.  The location where a fancy Naboo ship with Queen Amidala and 2 Jedi Knights landed, and a Sith Lord showed up to fight them.  The same place Anakin returned for his mother and used a Jedi lightsaber to kill sand people.  The same place  Obi-Wan spent about 18 years living and then showed up at Mos Eisley and attracted attention from storm troopers.  And the same place is the home of Luke Skywalker who returned to rescue Han from Jabba with a lightsaber.  

This lady knows all these people, remote planets, old mining towns that don't exist on maps (episode 1 this season)... but has never heard of the force?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Agent23 said:

he would've been better, the issue is the dialogue still sucked. 

• Like 1