Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Like I said they went waaaaay overboard with "This is the way", to the point it grinded my ears.

17 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Like I said they went waaaaay overboard with "This is the way", to the point it grinded my ears.

This is the way.

20 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Shibetoshi Nakamoto GIFs on GIPHY - Be Animated

• Haha 1

Quick question for you all. We’re all friends here, whatever’s said here, stays here, no chance it goes any farther, so you can be honest. Rogue One, at the end, if you were in the situation of Jyn and Cassian, hugging each other, waiting for the blast to consume you, would you maybe try to covertly maneuver the other person so that they’re between you and the blast in the one in a billion chance that their body would protect you?

• Haha 2

I've seen all 9 of the 'main' movies, (Episodes I through IX) but none of the other movies (Solo, Rogue One and whatever else they've made). Which movie would be the logical next one for me to watch?

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've seen all 9 of the 'main' movies, (Episodes I through IX) but none of the other movies (Solo, Rogue One and whatever else they've made). Which movie would be the logical next one for me to watch?

Rogue One. Strictly speaking of just movies.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't bother. None of the films are particularly great, but Rogue One is ok and the best of the bunch. 

But I'd perhaps watch the Andor TV series first - it's starts sloooooooooooow AF, but will lead better into Rogue One that way than the other way around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Rogue One 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

I'm really only a fan of the original three movies (and I mean 'original', not the updated crap that Lucas did later). The other six movies were 'ok', but not movies that I'd go and re-watch over and over like I would with the originals. 

• Like 1

I thought Rogue One was better than all of the prequels and sequels. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Rogue One is the most like the originals of all the other movies.  It leads right up to A New Hope.  It uses more real sets, costumed characters and practical effects and less CGI for a more organic feel.  

9 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Personally, I wouldn't bother. None of the films are particularly great, but Rogue One is ok and the best of the bunch. 

But I'd perhaps watch the Andor TV series first - it's starts sloooooooooooow AF, but will lead better into Rogue One that way than the other way around.

He'd have to wait too long for Andor season 2 then RO.  

On 6/9/2023 at 10:58 PM, NOTW said:

He'd have to wait too long for Andor season 2 then RO.  

I get it; but not knowing about Rogue One's plot at this moment, it would make that film better with the lead in from Andor. Building to that endpoint would actually make the film a better watch.  Knowing why someone did what they did could be a better way to appreciate that timeline.  I tried to get my nephew to watch the Netflix Defenders in the right order, but he has the attention span of a goldfish.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm really only a fan of the original three movies (and I mean 'original', not the updated crap that Lucas did later). The other six movies were 'ok', but not movies that I'd go and re-watch over and over like I would with the originals. 

Same as me.  if you want to complete the the film slate - I've had the same temptation but can't bring myself to laugh at Solo. But I'd also say you aren't missing much if you don't bother at all, but Andor to Rogue One would be a good way of going about it. Diego Luna is good in both.

But we are waiting on Andor S2 to be finished.

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

I get it; but not knowing about Rogue One's plot at this moment, it would make that film better with the lead in from Andor. Building to that endpoint would actually make the film a better watch.  Knowing why someone did what they did could be a better way to appreciate that timeline.  I tried to get my nephew to watch the Netflix Defenders in the right order, but he has the attention span of a goldfish.

True.  But there's also release order vs chronological just like watching episodes 4-6 first.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, NOTW said:

True.  But there's also release order vs chronological just like watching episodes 4-6 first.

I did chat with my bro about the appropriate ordering of watching the films with his kids.  if you go with the original trilogy first, you don't know who Vader is (which is cool for the reveal).  But if you go with the sequels first, you see the Anakin story as intended and get the worst films out of the way.  Plus there is more detail on Obi Wan, Emperor etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, but I would not start with the last 3 films first. 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh geez, I think I've seen or read all oft that.  The books referenced are a lot better than the TV stuff, and more recent Thrawn books not referenced are even better  IMHO.