Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

17 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Youtube TV is for morons. DirecTV Stream is where its at!

DirecTV? What is this 2002?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

^and this is were the sucksge comes in as i only have yttv to get sunday ticket. I do not watch any shows streaming, national, or other besides nfl. Chickie has paramount for her star trek fetish and we have disney+ for the girls but even those two apps are used possibly once a week. I looked this morning and the first three eagles games are national for us (possibly a fourth given we play foreskins at noon, dallas plays pats at 3 on cbs/fox? and vagiants on primetime vs seahawks) So really don't need ticket until around october. After regular season, would get rid of ticket.

And unless they do some strange late-season promo (which likely wouldn't be until November at the earliest), anyone who buys Sunday Ticket pays the full price whether they buy today or they wait until Week 4 or 5. I enjoy having access to other games and Red Zone channel, so its an expense I'll still get use out of, but I won't be shocked when this season only has like 5 Eagles games that I couldn't have seen already with my existing DTV service. 

17 hours ago, Agent23 said:

And unless they do some strange late-season promo (which likely wouldn't be until November at the earliest), anyone who buys Sunday Ticket pays the full price whether they buy today or they wait until Week 4 or 5. I enjoy having access to other games and Red Zone channel, so its an expense I'll still get use out of, but I won't be shocked when this season only has like 5 Eagles games that I couldn't have seen already with my existing DTV service. 

Yeah I buy YouTubes sports package for $10 a month during football season so I can get RedZone. Gunna come in handy this year with all the late games we have. 

On 9/1/2023 at 3:43 PM, Agent23 said:

All that being said... the Eagles have like 3 1pm EST games on their schedule this year. Everything else is either Thu/Sun/Mon night (which will not be viewable through Sunday Ticket subscription), and all the others are the 430pm timeslot (or the solo-day game on Christmas Monday) -- which means damn near every Eagles game (that isn't primetime) will likely end up being local FOX/CBS, even out here in Minnesota. So I'll have spent $430 (though a buddy plans on splitting cost with me to watch his Bills) to probably catch 4 games at my house that otherwise wouldn't have been visible. I could go hard on food (for the week) and drinks out at a bar/restaurant for $100/game! 

This, exactly.  I looked at the schedule and was surprised at the low number of 1pm games.  Most of the games this year are covered by streaming services I already have.  They have a lot of games that are 2nd game on Sunday afternoon which will be shown locally, they're a popular national team now.  As you said, for a game or 2 that I can't see at home I can go to a sports bar or friend's house to watch.  Sunday Ticket only makes sense if you want to see lots of other NFL teams or for sports bars that want to show every game to customers.

Someday they really need to just coordinate to offer team packages where you can pay to watch every game of your team no matter what channel but too many competing companies to make that work.

Week 1 I am paying for Sunday Ticket to watch other games/Red Zone :lol:

image.thumb.png.732e1a23f4a463477df4dec5d7f9976f.png

just said f it & bought the sunday ticket + redzone package on youtube tv. it was $339 which i didn't think was too bad. i guess there's a multi-screen thing where you can watch 4 games at once on the same screen...so i'll try that on my big a** 90" tv for the early games this sunday. 

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

just said f it & bought the sunday ticket + redzone package on youtube tv. it was $339 which i didn't think was too bad. i guess there's a multi-screen thing where you can watch 4 games at once on the same screen...so i'll try that on my big a** 90" tv for the early games this sunday. 

it's that kind of attitude that killed Freddie Mercury, asshat. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

I remember the 90” discussion probably like 3ish years ago :lol: 

I will likely wind up with most eagles games again, but I’ll have football on all day with multiple TVs in the living room, so I’ll still get complete immersion even if eagles games could have mostly been had for no additional expense. 

13 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

anybody know...for the 4 games at once thing, can i pick which 4 games? 

It looks pre-selected? But there are multiple options. They won’t show local fox and cbs I quickly realized 

IMG_0562.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Agent23 said:

It looks pre-selected? But there are multiple options. They won’t show local fox and cbs I quickly realized 

Spoiler

IMG_0562.jpeg

I used to do Sunday's that way. My setup from about 2005-ish, back when I used to record every single game.

TiVo_.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I really, REALLY need to get rid of DirecTV. I don't anticipate having it beyond the end of 2023. With everything that I have going on, I just haven't been paying attention for a few years but the bill is closing in on $200 a month and we HARDLY watch it. 

16 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I really, REALLY need to get rid of DirecTV. I don't anticipate having it beyond the end of 2023. With everything that I have going on, I just haven't been paying attention for a few years but the bill is closing in on $200 a month and we HARDLY watch it. 

dude, it's literally like finalizing a divorce when you walk out of the ups store (or where ever) after dropping of their equipment. 

28 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

dude, it's literally like finalizing a divorce when you walk out of the ups store (or where ever) after dropping of their equipment. 

It's so old that they likely won't want them back. 

• 3 weeks later...

SI interview with NFL Chief Media Officer Brian Rolapp:

SI: Do you see a future for à la carte game-buying, like being able to buy single out-of-market games, or a broadcast season ticket for an individual team?

BR: We’ve never liked that model. We haven’t heard a ton of that in our fan research that they want that. We think the value of the product is pretty good. Is there an opportunity for less than all games, maybe. We haven’t seriously talked about à la carte games. That’s nowhere really in our future.

full interview full paid promotional piece

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, wholesale_Melvin said:

or a broadcast season ticket for an individual team?

BR: We’ve never liked that model. We haven’t heard a ton of that in our fan research that they want that. We think the value of the product is pretty good.

They've never asked me. I haven't had Sunday Ticket for multiple years now, maybe 8 to 10 years. But I have been paying for Fubo using a Philly zip code and a Philly VPN provided IP address (which rarely works anymore), so that I can get all Eagles games. 

Fubo's system can detect the VPN and randomizes which city I'm 'in', so I'm rarely 'in' Philly anymore. But since I already set it up to automatically record all Eagles games, it does. Along with all Philly local news, and Pre/Postgame shows. 

I think I can get Hulu to see me as being 'in' Philly more easily, but I've been too lazy to switch over. 

I called in to DirecTV a little while ago to 'cancel' because the bill is so high. With everything that I have going on, I hadn't really paid much attention to the bill each month, but it had grown up to nearly $200 a month. I got them to knock off $105 a month. $50/month of that is only for 12 months. So I'm setting an alarm on my tablet to alert me in 11 months to cancel.

Either that or I'll find a cheaper solution before then and I will cancel sooner. 

I'm going to begin experimenting with various streaming services (TV). I've had Fubo for quite some time. The Windscribe Philly VPN servers used to work all the time to give me all of the Philly locals, but they have some way of detecting it and randomizing which city's locals that I get. Right now, I'm using the Hotspot Shield Philly server and at the moment, I have the Philly locals.

When I go to Hulu, I can get the Philly locals to come up and I can set things to record, but while the games are live, I can't get the recordings to play. With Fubo, even if I can't get the Philly locals and the Eagles game isn't 'available' to me, I have it automatically recording all Eagles games. So the recording of the live game will still play. So that's a sort of 'work around' and the fact that it won't work on Hulu, rules out Hulu as a possible replacement for Fubo (for me). 

I'll try YouTube TV at some point too and see how it does. 

• 3 weeks later...

i upgraded to youtube tv's 4k+ plan the other day...not really for the 4k content but for the unlimited streams. regular ytv lets you watch on 3 devices but we kept going over 3 & getting kicked out. usually, it's when i'm in the hunt cave watching games on 2 tv's, the wife is upstairs watching big bang theory or some crap, & hunt jr is at college trying to watch a game on his phone. 

their 4k+ gives you unlimited streams & is only an extra $4.99/month for the first year...not too bad. idk how much 4k content there is though...does anybody here know?  

8 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

i upgraded to youtube tv's 4k+ plan the other day...not really for the 4k content but for the unlimited streams. regular ytv lets you watch on 3 devices but we kept going over 3 & getting kicked out. usually, it's when i'm in the hunt cave watching games on 2 tv's, the wife is upstairs watching big bang theory or some crap, & hunt jr is at college trying to watch a game on his phone. 

their 4k+ gives you unlimited streams & is only an extra $4.99/month for the first year...not too bad. idk how much 4k content there is though...does anybody here know?  

It's 8 channels but, only if the program you are watching is being broadcasted in 4k... They also have some movies and shows on demand in 4k

• Thanks 1

Anyone looking to get Philly locals on Fubo, if you use Hotspot Shield VPN for Philly servers, their 107.161.x.x IP will work. There's a 160-simething (maybe 162.x.x.x) IP that doesn't work. It also works on Hulu for Philly locals. 

One of these days I'll try YouTube again and see if it works there. 

• 4 months later...

this season the plan is to put tv on covered patio, living room, kitchenette area using three separate phones/tablets same app (youtube tv/sunday ticket) but am concerned about syncing the live feed. anyone attempt this ? 

9 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

this season the plan is to put tv on covered patio, living room, kitchenette area using three separate phones/tablets same app (youtube tv/sunday ticket) but am concerned about syncing the live feed. anyone attempt this ? 

so in my experience streaming is like 30 second behind. I will be watching as "Live" as it lets me and I'll see a text on my phone that Jake Elliott made a PAT and I haven't even seen the touchdown play happen yet. 

But if the devices connected to a youtube tv are the same (meaning all Samsung TV interface, or all the same Roku through the same model tv) they seem to broadcast identical to one another. But different brands that have different processors may end up having their "Live" versions be a couple seconds offset from one another. 

50 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

so in my experience streaming is like 30 second behind. I will be watching as "Live" as it lets me and I'll see a text on my phone that Jake Elliott made a PAT and I haven't even seen the touchdown play happen yet. 

But if the devices connected to a youtube tv are the same (meaning all Samsung TV interface, or all the same Roku through the same model tv) they seem to broadcast identical to one another. But different brands that have different processors may end up having their "Live" versions be a couple seconds offset from one another. 

This would be 3 dumb tvs all with either all chromecast or all roku.

however, three separate devices to cast sunday ticket, one for each tv.