Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

16 hours ago, paco said:

Understood but my question was if I *don't* go the VPN route.  I'm in Chester County so I'm considered philly local with Xfinity

If you already get Philly locals through Xfinity, then you should be able to get it with a streaming service with no additional issues. It looks at your location through your internet provider to locate what area you are in to bring you those local channels.

You can always get a free trial and test it out to make sure that everything looks right.

Just now, pallidrone said:

If you already get Philly locals through Xfinity, then you should be able to get it with a streaming service with no additional issues. It looks at your location through your internet provider to locate what area you are in to bring you those local channels. A VPN is needed for people like me and VA who do not currently get Philly locals.

You can always get a free trial and test it out to make sure that everything looks right.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

youtube tv is going up by $8 per month.  <_<

theyre pulling a howie. base goes up 8 but 4k drops 10 so my bill goes down. not sure how it fits under the salary cap though....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

youtube tv is going up by $8 per month.  <_<

Expected when the paid so much for Sunday ticket. 

If they didn't increase the price for everyone,  they'd need to charge like 800 for Sunday ticket. That would fail.  So now we all gotta pay. So that their Sunday ticket price looks somewhat reasonable. 

I've been with DirecTV stream since I moved into my TH 15 months ago because I don't lose any channels (I want to say on their entry tier) that I had/used before with the physical dish platform, I like that the channels are all identical to what they have been on regular DTV for the past 15+ years, I get up to 17 simultaneously streams within my home WiFi, up to 3 streams I want to say remote from my house (gone on vacation, cell phone when out and about, etc.), and got unlimited DVR for free as a grandfathered promotion from when I signed up.

I paid $120 or whatever it is for a web-interface box that came with a remote, so if I want to jump to a TNT broadcast game I can just type 245 into the controller and not have to use a streaming-app remote to scroll up and down a TV guide. It has built-in apps so something like NBA League Pass that still doesn't have a Samsung app I can just access through that versus turning on a PS5 to watch streaming video. They bumped their price maybe a similar amount about 2-3 months ago though I want to say.

I didnt see this announcement 2 days ago, which is big for the Sunday ticket. In an article about the youtube tv price hike, they mention a new feature-

The news comes just two days after the platform announced it's testing a new "multiview" feature that will allow sports fans to stream up to four preselected games at once.

23 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I didnt see this announcement 2 days ago, which is big for the Sunday ticket. In an article about the youtube tv price hike, they mention a new feature-

The news comes just two days after the platform announced it's testing a new "multiview" feature that will allow sports fans to stream up to four preselected games at once.

They started testing it yesterday. They should have tested in 3 months ago and rolled it out for March madness today. Huge missed opportunity 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I've been with DirecTV stream since I moved into my TH 15 months ago because I don't lose any channels (I want to say on their entry tier) that I had/used before with the physical dish platform, I like that the channels are all identical to what they have been on regular DTV for the past 15+ years, I get up to 17 simultaneously streams within my home WiFi, up to 3 streams I want to say remote from my house (gone on vacation, cell phone when out and about, etc.), and got unlimited DVR for free as a grandfathered promotion from when I signed up.

I paid $120 or whatever it is for a web-interface box that came with a remote, so if I want to jump to a TNT broadcast game I can just type 245 into the controller and not have to use a streaming-app remote to scroll up and down a TV guide. It has built-in apps so something like NBA League Pass that still doesn't have a Samsung app I can just access through that versus turning on a PS5 to watch streaming video. They bumped their price maybe a similar amount about 2-3 months ago though I want to say.

I paid $50 for a Google tv 4k stick. It also came with a remote and if I want to watch tnt I just hit a button and say tnt. It's basically like phone numbers now compared to 20 years ago. No one remembers the number, you just go to the name

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BFit said:

They started testing it yesterday. They should have tested in 3 months ago and rolled it out for March madness today. Huge missed opportunity 

I saw it available on my TV last night but I didn't try it - did it not work well? 

18 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i went with Hulu. so far so good. 

Pretty much the best option. Been doing the Hulu live tv thing instead of cable for close to 5 years now. Now I can even get the red zone on it during football season. 

4 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I saw it available on my TV last night but I didn't try it - did it not work well? 

It only rolled out to a handful of customers. I didn't get it. It was random chance if they picked you or not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BFit said:

It only rolled out to a handful of customers. I didn't get it. It was random chance if they picked you or not. 

I see - yeah I got an email stating that I was chosen to try it, but I assumed that was a marketing thing and everyone got it.  

I was chosen.  But the email today.  Couldn't really figure it out.  Gotta work on the interface I think. 

• 2 months later...

We just bought a condo in Brigantine and the previous owners ran streaming through a t-mobile 5G hotspot. It’s only $30/mo for internet so we are thinking of doing the same down there and use a streaming service for TV. We have Comcast cable TV at home and we’ve been considering streaming for a few years but haven’t made the jump. We were thinking if we pay for a streaming service for the shore property (which is tax deductible due to our STR business) we could use it at our primary too. Our biggest priorities are sports especially local sports. And the ability to dvr Jeopardy. We are a 4 for 4 family so that means we need our RSN to watch Sixers, Phillies and Flyers. This seems to narrow our choices to DirecTV stream which includes RSNs, unlimited DVR space and unlimited at home screens and 3 "on the go”. Hulu does appear to carry NBC Sports Philadelphia so we should be good with the RSN. And there is a fee to upgrade to unlimited screens. 

Does anyone know how that works with unlimited screens? Does that mean you could run streaming at both properties and simultaneously? Has anyone tried streaming in our market and priority for our local RSNs? We are in Chester County PA and the condo is in Brigantine NJ. I want to make sure that if we are watching at home and we have guests down at the condo that all the streaming could happen at once. 

I have youtube TV and streamed at work while a TV or 2 were surely on at home. 

That was only about 10 miles apart, but still different zip codes. 

Though I'm not sure if different states would be different. 

That’s interesting to know but I wonder if that is standard across streaming services. Having cable service is my comfort zone because it gives us everything we need. I just want to make sure if we jump into this to share services between our two properties that it will work well. 

5 hours ago, binkybink77 said:

We just bought a condo in Brigantine and the previous owners ran streaming through a t-mobile 5G hotspot. It’s only $30/mo for internet so we are thinking of doing the same down there and use a streaming service for TV. We have Comcast cable TV at home and we’ve been considering streaming for a few years but haven’t made the jump. We were thinking if we pay for a streaming service for the shore property (which is tax deductible due to our STR business) we could use it at our primary too. Our biggest priorities are sports especially local sports. And the ability to dvr Jeopardy. We are a 4 for 4 family so that means we need our RSN to watch Sixers, Phillies and Flyers. This seems to narrow our choices to DirecTV stream which includes RSNs, unlimited DVR space and unlimited at home screens and 3 "on the go”. Hulu does appear to carry NBC Sports Philadelphia so we should be good with the RSN. And there is a fee to upgrade to unlimited screens. 

Does anyone know how that works with unlimited screens? Does that mean you could run streaming at both properties and simultaneously? Has anyone tried streaming in our market and priority for our local RSNs? We are in Chester County PA and the condo is in Brigantine NJ. I want to make sure that if we are watching at home and we have guests down at the condo that all the streaming could happen at once. 

I can't speak for direct TV, but me and my brother split YouTubetv. We get all RSNs, all sports, we pay for the 4k package which includes unlimited streams, and every football season we get the sports package which gives you a bunch of random stuff including RedZone. Haven't had a problem with watching at the same time. We're in different zip codes, though only about 15 miles apart, and we both watched the Phillies game today while his wife had something else on. 

My deciding factor to get YouTube tv was the fact that it had NBC sports Philly and NBC sports Philly plus

My parents had the directv streaming service and it sucked. Price kept increasing. Network disputes with lost channels. And service was unstable. Wasnt an internet issue. It was unreliable service from directv even though it wasnt satellite.

They switched to youtubeTV shortly after we did and have been happy. As have we. 

I wouldnt recommend any other streaming service. though I havent tried, nor do I know anyone who has tried Hulu. Maybe its good. But directv is not. Youtube is great.

Youtuve TV has only increased price once since we have had it, and thats only because theyre basically making us all pay for Sunday ticket

14 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

My parents had the directv streaming service and it sucked. Price kept increasing. Network disputes with lost channels. And service was unstable. Wasnt an internet issue. It was unreliable service from directv even though it wasnt satellite.

They switched to youtubeTV shortly after we did and have been happy. As have we. 

I wouldnt recommend any other streaming service. though I havent tried, nor do I know anyone who has tried Hulu. Maybe its good. But directv is not. Youtube is great.

Youtuve TV has only increased price once since we have had it, and thats only because theyre basically making us all pay for Sunday ticket

I read that tax increases are coming to YouTube TV. If that happens I might dump it, I'm not paying over 80 bucks for streaming might as well have cable

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I read that tax increases are coming to YouTube TV. If that happens I might dump it, I'm not paying over 80 bucks for streaming might as well have cable

Ive been thinking its going to get to that point where its no longer cost effective to switch. All of those services other than youtube seem to have regular increases.

Plus, people have a million subscriptions these days. Disney +, Hulu, Prime, Netflix, etc. Add it all together, savings are getting eaten up.

Luckily for us, while initially we still had service electric internet, Frontier installed fiber optic in our hood. Its 10x faster, and I dont remember the prices not but I think it was another 30-40 dollars cheaper. So not only did we save by switching from cablel TV, we then saved again by switching internet service provider. 

I've applied for affiliation with Disney+ (they'll probably say 'no'), YouTube TV doesn't really have an affiliate program, I thought I had one with Fubo but I'll have to double check to find it. If you all can think of any others that might be useful, let me know.