Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

thats kinda ghey. no?

No 

32 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

thats kinda ghey. no?

no gheyer than 9 tvs being mounted by 8 guys. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Any of you guys have YouTube tv outside the Philly market ???  Any advantage to changing my zip to Philly ??  Will I get Eagles games on Fox ? 

I don't think you can with YouTube tv. I messed around with it and it wouldn't even accept my billing zip code ( use my parents address for some stuff)  it had to be the zip code where the tv was located. 

@VaBeach_Eagle I think you tried this with YouTube tv and it didn't work?

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Any of you guys have YouTube tv outside the Philly market ???  Any advantage to changing my zip to Philly ??  Will I get Eagles games on Fox ? 

Doesn't work because your modem/router address will be where you are. I tried the spoof server apps, they're iffy and need a wierd science level of programing to spoof your home server.

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think you can with YouTube tv. I messed around with it and it wouldn't even accept my billing zip code ( use my parents address for some stuff)  it had to be the zip code where the tv was located. 

@VaBeach_Eagle I think you tried this with YouTube tv and it didn't work?

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, but I did their free trial and couldn't get Philly locals. It was either that, or they didn't have NBCS Philly... or both. I forget now. But even Fubo doesn't really work right with the VPN anymore. 9.9 times out of 10, it has me in Oklahoma or Montana or somewhere like that. Rarely will the Philly VPN server actually show me as being in Philly (on Fubo). 

There's work arounds, but I haven't really been able to watch any football this season. Maybe 3 or 4 games total... 5 tops. If we make the playoffs, I'll make sure to watch however many we play in. 

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

what will we all do without CNBC World????

Lol not sure... Hopefully USA picks up the 6ers games

On 12/31/2021 at 6:44 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol not sure... Hopefully USA picks up the 6ers games

NBC SPORTS Philadelphia is not going anywhere

5 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

NBC SPORTS Philadelphia is not going anywhere

For now, they have been on the chopping block for awhile now

• 1 year later...

With Fubo and Windscribe, I can only get NBCS Philadelphia.  Using Hotspot Shield, it looks like I can get all Philly locals. I did an Eagles search and set everything that came up, to record and I set some of the local news to record, too. That way, if I log in one day and the Philly locals are no longer showing and I'm suddenly getting Oklahoma or something, those local Philly shows will still record and be in my DVR listing. 

I also did a Hulu subscription for the month, and I can't get things to play with the VPN's on, but there's ways to make them think you're in Philly. Set your browser to block Location access and log in. When it asks for access to your location, turn your VPN on with Philly set as your location. Then unblock them from seeing your location. Once they see you 'in' Philadelphia, you'll get Philly locals (or at least I did). 

You won't be able to watch anything with the VPN on, but they now think you're in Philly so you can turn the VPN off. But go back to your privacy settings and block them from seeing your location again. They check that every few hours. When they can't verify where you are, do the process again of turning on the VPN, unblock them from your location, and so on. 

A pain in the neck, but it seems to work. 

While you have access to Philly locals (wherever you're accessing, be it Fubo, Hulu or where ever), set recordings for all Eagles shows, sports news shows, regular news shows and anything else Philly that you want to watch. That way, if the locals get blocked again, you still have it recording those things. 

If you can set it to record ALL Eagles games, do that too and when an Eagles game is on that you can't get  locally, it'll be recorded in your list. On Fubo, I've been able to watch 'live' by watching the recording as it's recorded, even if I can't actually watch the game on a channel. 

• Like 1

thanks VA

On 1/24/2023 at 3:06 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

With Fubo and Windscribe, I can only get NBCS Philadelphia.  Using Hotspot Shield, it looks like I can get all Philly locals. I did an Eagles search and set everything that came up, to record and I set some of the local news to record, too. That way, if I log in one day and the Philly locals are no longer showing and I'm suddenly getting Oklahoma or something, those local Philly shows will still record and be in my DVR listing. 

I also did a Hulu subscription for the month, and I can't get things to play with the VPN's on, but there's ways to make them think you're in Philly. Set your browser to block Location access and log in. When it asks for access to your location, turn your VPN on with Philly set as your location. Then unblock them from seeing your location. Once they see you 'in' Philadelphia, you'll get Philly locals (or at least I did). 

You won't be able to watch anything with the VPN on, but they now think you're in Philly so you can turn the VPN off. But go back to your privacy settings and block them from seeing your location again. They check that every few hours. When they can't verify where you are, do the process again of turning on the VPN, unblock them from your location, and so on. 

A pain in the neck, but it seems to work. 

While you have access to Philly locals (wherever you're accessing, be it Fubo, Hulu or where ever), set recordings for all Eagles shows, sports news shows, regular news shows and anything else Philly that you want to watch. That way, if the locals get blocked again, you still have it recording those things. 

If you can set it to record ALL Eagles games, do that too and when an Eagles game is on that you can't get  locally, it'll be recorded in your list. On Fubo, I've been able to watch 'live' by watching the recording as it's recorded, even if I can't actually watch the game on a channel. 

So my experience is different.

I have a few TVs in the house, and all of them use Nvidia Shields. I have now had YTV for 4 years and have had the Philly channels (including NBCS Philly) the entire time. I have recorded and seen every Eagles game.

I don't even have Windscribe on there.

It seems like the APP on the Nvidia Shield holds the location area for about three months. After about 3 months, the app will ask if you are traveling and if this is your home address. I then go and state that it is my home and the location is messed up. Then it asks me to update my location via my phone.

I go to my phone and clear the cache and data from my browser. I turn off mobile data, turn on airplane mode, turn on my WIFI, turn on the WINDSCRIBE VPN, connect that to the Philly server, and then check my location through Google Maps. Once I do that, I go to the YTV through a browser to confirm my location, and it then sees me in Philly. After about a minute or so, the APP on the TV updates, and it is ready to go for another 3 months or so.

• Like 1

We need to do this.  I think VA is going to be my new bff soon.

• Haha 1

honestly, i dont see why providers like YTTV arent offering "location" packages for a small upcharge. like, set your local channels to a different area for $3 a month or buy an areas local channels on top of your locals for $5 a month. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BFit said:

honestly, i dont see why providers like YTTV arent offering "location" packages for a small upcharge. like, set your local channels to a different area for $3 a month or buy an areas local channels on top of your locals for $5 a month. 

The whole problem is local advertising. Car dealerships, furniture places, etc. They pay their local affiliate to be shown to people in that area. If they are then showing ads for Ed's Car Emporium in Philly to someone in Nebraska who would never, ever shop at there, then they are just wasting dollars showing the ad.

Of course, a company like Google could easily display ads that are from your actual area even if you are watching from a different part of the country, but then the local affiliates get all bent out of shape because then they are losing money.

The main issue is that a large segment of TV is still working off of old technology and thought process. The FCC limits how many owned and operated stations, NBC,FOX,ABC,CBS, etc can operate, so they have to rely on local owners to broadcast for them. If NBC of Upper Saskatchewan loses a bunch of viewers because they are now watching NBC Philly, they then lose out on a ton of money and probably would not be able to continue to exist.

The FCC needs to get rid of the limitation on O&O stations. Once they do that, then something like setting your local channels could happen.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

So my experience is different.

I have a few TVs in the house, and all of them use Nvidia Shields. I have now had YTV for 4 years and have had the Philly channels (including NBCS Philly) the entire time. I have recorded and seen every Eagles game.

I don't even have Windscribe on there.

It seems like the APP on the Nvidia Shield holds the location area for about three months. After about 3 months, the app will ask if you are traveling and if this is your home address. I then go and state that it is my home and the location is messed up. Then it asks me to update my location via my phone.

I go to my phone and clear the cache and data from my browser. I turn off mobile data, turn on airplane mode, turn on my WIFI, turn on the WINDSCRIBE VPN, connect that to the Philly server, and then check my location through Google Maps. Once I do that, I go to the YTV through a browser to confirm my location, and it then sees me in Philly. After about a minute or so, the APP on the TV updates, and it is ready to go for another 3 months or so.

I'll have to check out the Nvidia Shield, don't think I've ever heard about it before. If I have, I've forgotten. 

57 minutes ago, paco said:

We need to do this.  I think VA is going to be my new bff soon.

So far, Fubo and Hulu both work for Philly locals using Hotspot Shield. I would expect that to change at some point, simply because it has in the past. But for now, it works. 

While it's working, I go in and set a bunch of Philly local stuff to record every day. That way, if I lose access, those recordings will still happen. I have all Philly news shows recording, as well as a bunch of things on NBCS Philly and all Eagles games. They show up in my 'DVR' regardless of my location and which locals they're giving me at any given time. 

If I switch to a Dallass VPN,  I could tell it to record all Cowboys games, or go to Washington and record all Redskins games. I could do that to various locations and basically build my own 'Sunday Ticket', and all of those games would just automatically record for me and be available to me. 

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So far, Fubo and Hulu both work for Philly locals using Hotspot Shield. I would expect that to change at some point, simply because it has in the past. But for now, it works. 

While it's working, I go in and set a bunch of Philly local stuff to record every day. That way, if I lose access, those recordings will still happen. I have all Philly news shows recording, as well as a bunch of things on NBCS Philly and all Eagles games. They show up in my 'DVR' regardless of my location and which locals they're giving me at any given time. 

If I switch to a Dallass VPN,  I could tell it to record all Cowboys games, or go to Washington and record all Redskins games. I could do that to various locations and basically build my own 'Sunday Ticket', and all of those games would just automatically record for me and be available to me. 

Our needs are pretty simple:  Football and being able to record Jeopardy.  

Since we are outside of Philly do we even need Hotspot Shield?

9 minutes ago, paco said:

Our needs are pretty simple:  Football and being able to record Jeopardy.  

Since we are outside of Philly do we even need Hotspot Shield?

You only need a VPN with Philly servers if you want Philly locals and since the Super Bowl is going to be broadcast Nationally, you don't even need that right now. Only if you want the local Philly shows about the Eagles. I'm a geek for that kind of stuff, so I eat it all up. I guess that's because I didn't really have ANYTHING Eagles when I was growing up in the 70's and into the 80's (until my father bought a dish for the house and I finally got all Eagles games). 

8 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

It is similar to the Amazon Fire stick, but much more powerful and better IMHO.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I'm always looking for different ways to 'game the system' lol. 

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You only need a VPN with Philly servers if you want Philly locals and since the Super Bowl is going to be broadcast Nationally, you don't even need that right now. Only if you want the local Philly shows about the Eagles. I'm a geek for that kind of stuff, so I eat it all up. I guess that's because I didn't really have ANYTHING Eagles when I was growing up in the 70's and into the 80's (until my father bought a dish for the house and I finally got all Eagles games). 

If the Eagles are being broadcast on Fox in my zip code, do I have to worry about getting Chargers-Raiders instead due to a server?

6 minutes ago, paco said:

If the Eagles are being broadcast on Fox in my zip code, do I have to worry about getting Chargers-Raiders instead due to a server?

Not if you're using a VPN that has you 'in' Philadelphia. For me, when Windscribe stopped working to put me 'in' Philly, I already had all Eagles games set to automatically record (this is on Fubo). So even though it looked like I was on Oklahoma, or even when I didn't have it on and I was just in my actual location, I still got those Eagles games because they were automatically set to record. 

So once the game would start, I'd just open that recording and I could watch it live, as it recorded... even though I was supposed to be only getting the Redskins (locally), or may be the Cowboys (if I was in Oklahoma). 

With Hotspot Shield working (for now), to put me 'in' Philly, I just get all Philly locals. But I fully expect that to stop working at some point (once Fubo  figures out the IP and ban it lol). 

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Not if you're using a VPN that has you 'in' Philadelphia. For me, when Windscribe stopped working to put me 'in' Philly, I already had all Eagles games set to automatically record (this is on Fubo). So even though it looked like I was on Oklahoma, or even when I didn't have it on and I was just in my actual location, I still got those Eagles games because they were automatically set to record. 

So once the game would start, I'd just open that recording and I could watch it live, as it recorded... even though I was supposed to be only getting the Redskins (locally), or may be the Cowboys (if I was in Oklahoma). 

With Hotspot Shield working (for now), to put me 'in' Philly, I just get all Philly locals. But I fully expect that to stop working at some point (once Fubo  figures out the IP and ban it lol). 

Understood but my question was if I *don't* go the VPN route.  I'm in Chester County so I'm considered philly local with Xfinity

2 minutes ago, paco said:

Understood but my question was if I *don't* go the VPN route.  I'm in Chester County so I'm considered philly local with Xfinity

If you get Philly locals already, then a VPN could mess you up if it's on and not showing you in the Philly area (which happens to me sometimes, even when a Philly server is used). It's simple to turn the VPN on and off though and just let your actual location override.