Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

this will push people to hulu...and disney owns hulu.

They better get it figured out very soon or Im jumping ship. I don't want to miss the Christmas day basketball games and some other stuff. 

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

this will push people to hulu...and disney owns hulu.

I was already looking at Hulu this morning, and I had just made the jump to YouTube tv from Sling a month ago.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I was already looking at Hulu this morning, and I had just made the jump to YouTube tv from Sling a month ago.

I did the hulu free trial back when yttv was negotiating with nbc....it's pretty good...deep on demand library...all the channels I need. negatives were the user interface being a bit clunky...only allowed 2 streams compared to 3 with yttv...and limited dvr space. 

going from 3 to 2 streams will impact me the most since I'm often using 2 myself...especially on nfl sundays. you can add unlimited streams for an extra $10 per month though.

Doesnt seem worth it to jump back and forth every time one of these streaming services has these disputes. Would think you accept  this as a known drawback to cutting the cord, or dont cut the cord. 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Doesnt seem worth it to jump back and forth every time one of these streaming services has these disputes. Would think you accept  this as a known drawback to cutting the cord, or dont cut the cord. 

honestly it's pretty easy to switch...a few clicks to pause or cancel yttv & about 5 minutes to sign up for hulu. 

activating all your devices can take a little while though...but it's easy.

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

honestly it's pretty easy to switch...a few clicks to pause or cancel yttv & about 5 minutes to sign up for hulu. 

activating all your devices can take a little while though...but it's easy.

thats true. But doesnt much any sense to do.

Why leave cable? Poor customer service? Kinda the same as these companies taking streams away.

Price continues to go up? Same with many of these services.

Poor technology like SECV's antequated on demand user interface? what about the clunky UI on Hulu compared to yttv?  Or the fact that it allows less simultaneous streams?

It just seems completely counterintuitive to jump from one temporarily downgraded service to another service already known to be not as good. And this is the acceptable alternative to switching away from a steady, known commodity like cable?

Jumping services seems knee jerk reactionary, and not really rational.

I was paying almost $300 per month for service electric...cable + internet. I'm now paying 1/2 that for streaming  & service electrics internet.  it's a huge cost difference...plus I can watch on my phone anywhere with streaming. 

33 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

I did the hulu free trial back when yttv was negotiating with nbc....it's pretty good...deep on demand library...all the channels I need. negatives were the user interface being a bit clunky...only allowed 2 streams compared to 3 with yttv...and limited dvr space. 

going from 3 to 2 streams will impact me the most since I'm often using 2 myself...especially on nfl sundays. you can add unlimited streams for an extra $10 per month though.

I'll probably jump over to Fubotv, I had Hulu live and hated it. I'll give it a day or so though. I don't feel like jumping around this is why I went and got cable in the first place because of this nonsense. I'm sure once they bring Disney back the bill will go up for sure. 

53 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

I was paying almost $300 per month for service electric...cable + internet. I'm now paying 1/2 that for streaming  & service electrics internet.  it's a huge cost difference...plus I can watch on my phone anywhere with streaming. 

what??????????????????????????

13 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

what??????????????????????????

a sheetload of cable boxes, dvr, hd tier ,tivo, some package for extra channels...and more crap I'm forgetting.  it was in the $285-290 per month range.

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

On the last board, weren't you making the opposite arguments about not cutting the cord and the hassle of signing into different streaming services? 

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

On the last board, weren't you making the opposite arguments about not cutting the cord and the hassle of signing into different streaming services? 

It still is a hassle and annoying that there is 1 or 2 things to watch on 50 different streaming services all to save 30 bucks😜

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

back when I was paying a lot less for cable...probably. 

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It still is a hassle and annoying that there is 1 or 2 things to watch on 50 different streaming services all to save 30 bucks😜

it's definitely a hassle compared to cable where you just hit the power button on the remote & you're in. :lol:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

it's definitely a hassle compared to cable where you just hit the power button on the remote & you're in. :lol:

Exactly!!

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly!!

it's a trade off for sure...convenience vs saving $$$ & being able to watch on my phone while I poop. 

I dont mind missing a couple low level bowl games while they sort it out. Not really gonna affect any eagles games either.

Netflix just put out season 2 of The Witcher. And theres a ton of other stuff I need to watch on there too. I'll just wait it out. Not gonna be missing much.

26 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

it's a trade off for sure...convenience vs saving $$$ & being able to watch on my phone while I poop. 

I do like to be able to say the hell with it and switching to something different though. I can do that with my internet now as well. No contracts is fun

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

You know i spend very little and all the apps on smart TV make it easy. My new one on the home menu shows recently watched shows on various services to continue watching. 

No equipment, no customer service issues, cancel anytime. Can get a service to binge some stuff then cancel. I don't need live TV I wouldn't get Philly sports anyway. I have a digital antenna for live local channels but barely use it.

I get free HBO Max from AT&T, free Discovery+ on Amazon which is free with Prime, free ESPN+ with a Hulu/Disney bundle through Verizon. 

Apart from saving about $80 a month, I never watched cable. Network & cable shows are mostly garbage or are on Hulu or another service later. 

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You know i spend very little and all the apps on smart TV make it easy. My new one on the home menu shows recently watched shows on various services to continue watching. 

No equipment, no customer service issues, cancel anytime. Can get a service to binge some stuff then cancel. I don't need live TV I wouldn't get Philly sports anyway. I have a digital antenna for live local channels but barely use it.

I get free HBO Max from AT&T, free Discovery+ on Amazon which is free with Prime, free ESPN+ with a Hulu/Disney bundle through Verizon. 

Apart from saving about $80 a month, I never watched cable. Network & cable shows are mostly garbage or are on Hulu or another service later. 

I can get Netflix free... There is nothing on there worth a damn. Hbomax is the only thing I pay for. I have no desire to pay for those other ones just to watch 1 thing. Lame asses!

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I can get Netflix free... There is nothing on there worth a damn. Hbomax is the only thing I pay for. I have no desire to pay for those other ones just to watch 1 thing. Lame asses!

That's what's great, you can choose what you want. I watch a lot on Netflix & HBO Max. When i had cable, to get a few channels i actually wanted I'd have to pay for higher tiers. Thrn you have $500 channels, DVR fee, HD fee, box fee, installation, contract with cancelation fee...to watch a few things. 

I like the flexibility with cutting the cord.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That's what's great, you can choose what you want. I watch a lot on Netflix & HBO Max. When i had cable, to get a few channels i actually wanted I'd have to pay for higher tiers. Thrn you have $500 channels, DVR fee, HD fee, box fee, installation, contract with cancelation fee...to watch a few things. 

I like the flexibility with cutting the cord.

I do like to be able to bounce around between all of them. Hell the way they are doing internet now I can bounce around with them too