Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

The cost of all the different subscriptions plus the cost of internet is why we really haven’t bothered with switching yet. It just didn’t seem like that much cost savings for the hassle. But being able to split the cost between our two properties is an attractive option making it worth it. Previously we paid for 2 internet services and 2 separate cable packages. You would think Comcast would offer a discount or a bundle for multiple homes but they do not. I’ll have to look more into YouTube 

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I

Plus, people have a million subscriptions these days. Disney +, Hulu, Prime, Netflix, etc. Add it all together, savings are getting eaten up.

see, this is the take i never understood. its not like if you have cable, you dont need netflix, disney+, hulu, etc. those are all services with their own content thats not on cable. just like if you have youtubetv or hulu+, it doesnt mean you also need netflix and disney+ to get the same amount of content that you would get with cable. 

4 minutes ago, BFit said:

see, this is the take i never understood. its not like if you have cable, you dont need netflix, disney+, hulu, etc. those are all services with their own content thats not on cable. just like if you have youtubetv or hulu+, it doesnt mean you also need netflix and disney+ to get the same amount of content that you would get with cable. 

if streaming didnt exist, the only option to watch those things would be cable. Streaming came to be, and content got segmented off all over the place requiring numerous subscriptions to watch what you want.

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

if streaming didnt exist, the only option to watch those things would be cable. Streaming came to be, and content got segmented off all over the place requiring numerous subscriptions to watch what you want.

Hululive at least gives you Disney+ ESPN+ and regular Hulu content to go along with live tv. So that one is starting to become a more attractive option.  A lot of cable companies are ditching their cable packages and just offering YouTube tv as their cable option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

i mean, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, HBO really started it when they began making good original content behind a pay wall. 

im really just talking about "cutting the cord" though, which is getting rid of cable and using a live tv streaming platform instead. no need to include "original content" streamers in that discussion. 

32 minutes ago, BFit said:

i mean, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, HBO really started it when they began making good original content behind a pay wall. 

im really just talking about "cutting the cord" though, which is getting rid of cable and using a live tv streaming platform instead. no need to include "original content" streamers in that discussion. 

Yeah.  It looks like there will soon come a point where that's just as expensive as cable even before the extra subscriptions.

By the way my parents switched to that t mobile internet and it absolutely sucks. 

Especially if you want to stream TV on it.  Horrible. 

33 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

By the way my parents switched to that t mobile internet and it absolutely sucks. 

Especially if you want to stream TV on it.  Horrible. 

Depends where you live, I have it and I have zero issues streaming live tv. 

Also how big is their home? This is a 600 sq ft condo running 2 TVs and probably phones while you’re there. We tested it while there and it seemed good enough especially for the $30/mo cost. 

13 minutes ago, binkybink77 said:

Also how big is their home? This is a 600 sq ft condo running 2 TVs and probably phones while you’re there. We tested it while there and it seemed good enough especially for the $30/mo cost. 

Its probably around or a little over 2000 sqft. The hub is very centrally located. Not far from the living room, or their bedroom.

They can stream one TV pretty ok. But as soon as someone starts using their phone for internet, or anything else like an ipad, the TV gets finicky. 

There seems to be barely enough bandwith to just stream 1 TV and basically do nothing else.

T-mobile in Brigantine has a tower 2 streets over from our condo. While we were there the internet seemed to work well. We are also looking at Xfinity 10G. Does anyone have experience with these types of internet services? I would imagine that much like cell phones, the service you get would depend on how much tower coverage you have in your area so it might be difficult for someone in one area to say how reliable the internet in a different state would be. 

43 minutes ago, binkybink77 said:

T-mobile in Brigantine has a tower 2 streets over from our condo. While we were there the internet seemed to work well. We are also looking at Xfinity 10G. Does anyone have experience with these types of internet services? I would imagine that much like cell phones, the service you get would depend on how much tower coverage you have in your area so it might be difficult for someone in one area to say how reliable the internet in a different state would be. 

I'm pretty sure they all use cell signal so you would need to have solid reception and nothing clogging the network (like a high density of people using their phone at the exact same time). They may reserve bandwidth for people on these plans which would mean you don't get the congestion you would with your regular cell network

9 hours ago, Mat said:

I'm pretty sure they all use cell signal so you would need to have solid reception and nothing clogging the network (like a high density of people using their phone at the exact same time). They may reserve bandwidth for people on these plans which would mean you don't get the congestion you would with your regular cell network

Supposedly they do reserve bandwidth. And they will only accept a number of spots in any given area for the internet service. They had to check that there was a spot available when I called. If not they put you on a waiting list until something opens up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, binkybink77 said:

My parents are close to 2 towers.  It worked well on their trial,  and then sucked ever since. 

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

My parents are close to 2 towers.

:ph34r: 

richie-partou-tuwu-towor-text.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, binkybink77 said:

I have TMobile internet, I have zero issues streaming or downloading anything 

Netflix was the OG of streaming and  canceled it recently. Didn't find the quality of shows to be that great anymore. 

Now just have Hulu/ESPN+ and HBO/Max. 

I have YouTubeTV as well but will place it on hold if not during good sports seasons. 

On 6/11/2023 at 1:32 PM, binkybink77 said:

We just bought a condo in Brigantine and the previous owners ran streaming through a t-mobile 5G hotspot. It’s only $30/mo for internet so we are thinking of doing the same down there and use a streaming service for TV. We have Comcast cable TV at home and we’ve been considering streaming for a few years but haven’t made the jump. We were thinking if we pay for a streaming service for the shore property (which is tax deductible due to our STR business) we could use it at our primary too. Our biggest priorities are sports especially local sports. And the ability to dvr Jeopardy. We are a 4 for 4 family so that means we need our RSN to watch Sixers, Phillies and Flyers. This seems to narrow our choices to DirecTV stream which includes RSNs, unlimited DVR space and unlimited at home screens and 3 "on the go”. Hulu does appear to carry NBC Sports Philadelphia so we should be good with the RSN. And there is a fee to upgrade to unlimited screens. 

Does anyone know how that works with unlimited screens? Does that mean you could run streaming at both properties and simultaneously? Has anyone tried streaming in our market and priority for our local RSNs? We are in Chester County PA and the condo is in Brigantine NJ. I want to make sure that if we are watching at home and we have guests down at the condo that all the streaming could happen at once. 

When I bought my place Jan 2022, I didn’t have a great way of bringing my DirecTV dish service over, because all the internal connections to each room are part of Xfinity, which is the option I have for internet. Not wanting to have cables strung throughout the place, I switched to their streaming.

In 18 months of having it, zero issues and I think one $7ish price increase. I think within my home I can stream on up to like 17 devices. I’ve probably never attempted more than 5 at once, but all worked without issue. I think I can also stream up to 3 locations outside of my house, but I haven’t really tried testing it. Occasionally I’ll pull up live sports, and the handful of times I’ve traveled for work or person I’ve used my iPad here or there to watch something via DVR that I didn’t catch live away from home. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently cut cable with no backup plan for watching the Eagles. Hopefully, I won't have to rely on radio. I get programming from the networks for free on my Vizio but they're more like news & weather segments on a loop. I doubt they'll show games. My biggest concern is getting nickle & dime'd back to what I was paying before. I tried watching a live game on Prime last season. That was a joke with all the buffering. 

57 minutes ago, ThinkGreen said:

I recently cut cable with no backup plan for watching the Eagles. Hopefully, I won't have to rely on radio. I get programming from the networks for free on my Vizio but they're more like news & weather segments on a loop. I doubt they'll show games. My biggest concern is getting nickle & dime'd back to what I was paying before. I tried watching a live game on Prime last season. That was a joke with all the buffering. 

If you're in the Philly area, you can try to get a good digital antenna and that might get you cbs, fox and NBC. That'll take care of all the Sunday games. As for Monday and Thursday night games, you can do a one month subscription to prime or ESPN+ depending on what the birds are on that month, but that'll only be as good your internet connection. If it was buffering for you before, it'll probably be the same

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BFit said:

If you're in the Philly area, you can try to get a good digital antenna and that might get you cbs, fox and NBC. That'll take care of all the Sunday games. As for Monday and Thursday night games, you can do a one month subscription to prime or ESPN+ depending on what the birds are on that month, but that'll only be as good your internet connection. If it was buffering for you before, it'll probably be the same

Thanks, I'll look into a digital antenna. I did upgrade my connection speed but the router is wireless now. Seems slower instead of 5x faster.

• 1 month later...

anybody get the nfl package through youtube tv?  i was considering it since there are sometimes 1-2 games per season where the eagles are on cbs & my local affiliate shows the steelers instead. <_<  but i don't believe the eagles & steelers are both scheduled on cbs at the same time this season...unless the nfl starts moving games around. 

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

anybody get the nfl package through youtube tv?  i was considering it since there are sometimes 1-2 games per season where the eagles are on cbs & my local affiliate shows the steelers instead. <_<  but i don't believe the eagles & steelers are both scheduled on cbs at the same time this season...unless the nfl starts moving games around. 

i will get through the first few games that are national and then switch to it. i purchased youtube tv at the start of the preseason. it's not bad. no real hiccups yet. 

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

Youtube TV is for morons. DirecTV Stream is where its at!

But through Youtube it can be purchased (I believe they treat it as a "Premium" add-on or subscription) -- just for $100/season more than the price they charge if you bundle to YTTV subscription. However if you are a YTTV subscriber, pay the $100 cheaper Sunday Ticket rate, and then in mid-October decide to cancel your YTTV subscription -- you immediately lose your Sunday Ticket also. 

All that being said... the Eagles have like 3 1pm EST games on their schedule this year. Everything else is either Thu/Sun/Mon night (which will not be viewable through Sunday Ticket subscription), and all the others are the 430pm timeslot (or the solo-day game on Christmas Monday) -- which means damn near every Eagles game (that isn't primetime) will likely end up being local FOX/CBS, even out here in Minnesota. So I'll have spent $430 (though a buddy plans on splitting cost with me to watch his Bills) to probably catch 4 games at my house that otherwise wouldn't have been visible. I could go hard on food (for the week) and drinks out at a bar/restaurant for $100/game! 

^and this is were the sucksge comes in as i only have yttv to get sunday ticket. I do not watch any shows streaming, national, or other besides nfl. Chickie has paramount for her star trek fetish and we have disney+ for the girls but even those two apps are used possibly once a week. I looked this morning and the first three eagles games are national for us (possibly a fourth given we play foreskins at noon, dallas plays pats at 3 on cbs/fox? and vagiants on primetime vs seahawks) So really don't need ticket until around october. After regular season, would get rid of ticket.