Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

With the amount of people who move around the country or other countries and a desire for their favorite local sports I wonder how long it will take to get a simple local team sports streaming package.  The TV contracts are a big deal, but if they just made packages available and the companies split the profits or however they have to work it, people would gladly pay.  A Philly sports package with access to all live games, highlights, local talk shows, etc.  The further society goes down the streaming path and cable becomes more obsolete this has to be inevitable.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NOTW said:

With the amount of people who move around the country or other countries and a desire for their favorite local sports I wonder how long it will take to get a simple local team sports streaming package.  The TV contracts are a big deal, but if they just made packages available and the companies split the profits or however they have to work it, people would gladly pay.  A Philly sports package with access to all live games, highlights, local talk shows, etc.  The further society goes down the streaming path and cable becomes more obsolete this has to be inevitable.

I would love to see updated stats for now, but I want to say 7ish years ago (at most, 10 years) the stats were still something like 80-85% of people like within 50miles of where they grew up/family is located. Basically showing how humans as a whole are content spending their entire lives sticking to who and what they know and is familiar. If those values are still about the same today with no significant expectation to change, those streamers are likely not going to come because 95% of your realistic consumer base is already located in the local cable market so you can just continue to enforce that as the sole means of access since the 10-20% of people who care about sports (in that 15% population that moved out of market) likely aren't going to create enough revenue to cover costs and infrastructure to set up and a manage a streaming-only platform. 

More people need to be like us and move away from mommy and daddy so that we can start undoing the archaic systems. 

16 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I would love to see updated stats for now, but I want to say 7ish years ago (at most, 10 years) the stats were still something like 80-85% of people like within 50miles of where they grew up/family is located. Basically showing how humans as a whole are content spending their entire lives sticking to who and what they know and is familiar. If those values are still about the same today with no significant expectation to change, those streamers are likely not going to come because 95% of your realistic consumer base is already located in the local cable market so you can just continue to enforce that as the sole means of access since the 10-20% of people who care about sports (in that 15% population that moved out of market) likely aren't going to create enough revenue to cover costs and infrastructure to set up and a manage a streaming-only platform. 

More people need to be like us and move away from mommy and daddy so that we can start undoing the archaic systems. 

From reviewing a few different sites including pew research, it's about 15% of people (as you said) who move outside of their state.  Majority of moves are within the same state.  But that can still put you out of your local TV coverage.  Example move from Philly area to the Pittsburgh area and you're getting their local sports.  If you moved from San Francisco to LA or Houston to Dallas those are within the same state but different local sports coverage.

Still, adding an additional option of buying a streaming package just adds revenue on top of what they're already making.  You still have that majority of people watching in their local area, but you get more money from people who want to sign up. 

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

From reviewing a few different sites including pew research, it's about 15% of people (as you said) who move outside of their state.  Majority of moves are within the same state.  But that can still put you out of your local TV coverage.  Example move from Philly area to the Pittsburgh area and you're getting their local sports.  If you moved from San Francisco to LA or Houston to Dallas those are within the same state but different local sports coverage.

Still, adding an additional option of buying a streaming package just adds revenue on top of what they're already making.  You still have that majority of people watching in their local area, but you get more money from people who want to sign up. 

Or those in West Virginia who move from their sister's to their aunt's. 

57 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Or those in West Virginia who move from their sister's to their aunt's. 

I believe that would be the same house. even after they found out it was their mother the whole time. 

• Like 1

Recently dumped Verizon for Youtube TV. Loving it so far about 2 months in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

Nope

23 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Recently dumped Verizon for Youtube TV. Loving it so far about 2 months in.

If I recall correctly, I tried their service but couldn't get it to work properly to give me the Philly locals via my VPN. 

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

has anyone who uses youtube tv tried their 4k plus yet? 

No, but they did give me a free TiVo 4k streaming thing that actually works really well. Better than my smart tv apps

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If I recall correctly, I tried their service but couldn't get it to work properly to give me the Philly locals via my VPN. 

Gotcha, cant help you there, Im in the philly area so I get the locals anyway.

22 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Gotcha, cant help you there, Im in the philly area so I get the locals anyway.

I get the Philly locals with Fubo and my Windscribe VPN, which has two Philly servers. But I'm always looking for better services that may be cheaper. 

• 1 month later...

So refresher.

1. Subscribe to vpn.

2. Set server to Philly server

3. Then subscribe to service with local channels

?

What devices are you all using to stream? I used the smart tv apps on my tv for a while, but the wireless on my tv is only 2.4 and is pretty slow. Ontop of that, I feel like the apps aren't very stable. Hulu crashes randomly and sometimes has the audio drop, YouTube tv will stop responding sometimes and Netflix will show error codes. Happens when I'm hardwired too, so pretty sure it's not internet related. 

I got a TiVo stream 4k for free from YouTube tv and started using that. The wireless is much better and picture quality is really good, but it's started randomly restarting it's self lately. Not often, but it happens and it's annoying. Anyone has a streaming device that they really like?

Chromecast but it tends to be a bit tedious sometimes. Otherwise the Xbox works pretty well and I have the media remote

22 minutes ago, BFit said:

What devices are you all using to stream? I used the smart tv apps on my tv for a while, but the wireless on my tv is only 2.4 and is pretty slow. Ontop of that, I feel like the apps aren't very stable. Hulu crashes randomly and sometimes has the audio drop, YouTube tv will stop responding sometimes and Netflix will show error codes. Happens when I'm hardwired too, so pretty sure it's not internet related. 

I got a TiVo stream 4k for free from YouTube tv and started using that. The wireless is much better and picture quality is really good, but it's started randomly restarting it's self lately. Not often, but it happens and it's annoying. Anyone has a streaming device that they really like?

I use various Xboxes and Playstations in the living room, game room and theater room. The bedroom TVs are all smart TVs and work fine for watching Netflax and whatnot.

21 minutes ago, Mat said:

Chromecast but it tends to be a bit tedious sometimes. Otherwise the Xbox works pretty well and I have the media remote

I have a couple Chromecasts but I like being able to use one remote for everything. The TiVo remote works well for that, but I'm not sold on the units reliability. I know there's new Chromecasts out with Google TV, pretty sure they come with a remote too. Might be worth checking out. 

we have a couple chromecasts and have one tablet for all the apps plus our phones, then separate the rooms by name (ie. living room, bedroom....)

My living room TV is a Vizio with chrome cast build in. It's obstinacy glitchy to operate but the streaming is reliable. 

The rest of the TV are TCL roku TV and one ONN router TV. They are used by the kids and all work flawlessly. I used to think they were cheap junk but I love them and they are slowly taking over the house. 

onn from walmart ?

2 hours ago, BFit said:

I have a couple Chromecasts but I like being able to use one remote for everything. The TiVo remote works well for that, but I'm not sold on the units reliability. I know there's new Chromecasts out with Google TV, pretty sure they come with a remote too. Might be worth checking out. 

Correct. It's replaced the Ultra as the top of the range model. I think one issue with the Chromecast is there isn't a standby function and they're on infinitely which has caused most of my issues. I have noticed that with the NBA and some Netflix movies it glitches out like it wouldn't on another device (even on the phone minus chromecast for example)

1 hour ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

onn from walmart ?

Yeah. 

Needed a TV for the treadmill room/ kids playroom. Just wanted something cheap.  It's fine for that purpose.  But either of the roku TV brands we have whether it's the TCL or the ONN work smoothly and reliably. 

So what options do I have to get local Philly sports and nfl Redzone? 

Most of the other stuff I watch is on Discovery networks, so I can probably just pay for Discovery Plus 

11 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

So what options do I have to get local Philly sports and nfl Redzone? 

Most of the other stuff I watch is on Discovery networks, so I can probably just pay for Discovery Plus 

YouTube tv has the local philly channels and there's a sports package you can upgrade to that includes RedZone.