Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

8 hours ago, hputenis said:

I've been nonstop scrolling through Amazon Prime in hopes to find a hidden horror gem.  Jesus.......99% of them are the most low budget crap fests I have ever seen.  I can't get through 5 minutes of any of them.  I think I'm at the point I've seen everything.  @Shepard Wong Any other good suggestions for newer horror movies?  I have trouble getting into older ones.  

Somewhat recent ones I've seen that I liked on Prime are The Wailing, Vast of Night, We Are Still Here, and Hagazussa.  The new Child's Play is on there.  I thought it was kinda fun.  

Crawl and Annihilation are on there but you've probably seen those.  I've been meaning to watch I See You on Prime but haven't watched it yet.  

Do you have Shudder?  As big a horror fan as you are, it would be worth the investment.  They've got a lot of good, new stuff and it's pretty cheap for an annual membership.  The usually have promotions running to get the whole year 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, Shepard Wong said:

Somewhat recent ones I've seen that I liked on Prime are The Wailing, Vast of Night, We Are Still Here, and Hagazussa.  The new Child's Play is on there.  I thought it was kinda fun.  

Crawl and Annihilation are on there but you've probably seen those.  I've been meaning to watch I See You on Prime but haven't watched it yet.  

Do you have Shudder?  As big a horror fan as you are, it would be worth the investment.  They've got a lot of good, new stuff and it's pretty cheap for an annual membership.  The usually have promotions running to get the whole year 

Just happened to watch that yesterday. It was... interesting 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:51 PM, Shepard Wong said:

some of the more creative kills among 80s slasher movies

agreed. the dirtbike chain kill was def a new twist.

23 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Just happened to watch that yesterday. It was... interesting 

Does this mean good or bad interesting?  

On 6/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, Shepard Wong said:

Haven't seen any of the first movies you've mentioned, so I'll take a look this week.  I saw Crawl in theaters, and enjoyed it.  I absolutely loved Annihilation.  Is that considered a horror?  I would almost put that in the straight up sci-fi category with movies like Interstellar or 2001.  

I had shudder at the beginning of this pandemic, but I got rid of it.  I guess I didn't find enough good content, but at the time, I thought the movies would be exactly like the ones of Amazon Prime.  It's so cheap I may look into giving it another chance.  

11 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Does this mean good or bad interesting?  

Yes

• Haha 2

Just now, hputenis said:

Confused GIF | Gfycat

I didn't want to give anything away about it if someone was intending to watch it. I'll have some semi-spoilery stuff about the movie below but not give away the plot.

Spoiler

The twist is both good and bad. The first half of the movie they set something up just to kick it all down and take a hard left. It's good, in that tries to do something different and gives you that unexpected angle. The final twist was bad, imo, and seemed to be just way too convenient. The movie ends and you are left with "ok, but why?".

I wouldn't say its exactly a horror movie either even though it's labeled as that. 

40 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Haven't seen any of the first movies you've mentioned, so I'll take a look this week.  I saw Crawl in theaters, and enjoyed it.  I absolutely loved Annihilation.  Is that considered a horror?  I would almost put that in the straight up sci-fi category with movies like Interstellar or 2001.  

I had shudder at the beginning of this pandemic, but I got rid of it.  I guess I didn't find enough good content, but at the time, I thought the movies would be exactly like the ones of Amazon Prime.  It's so cheap I may look into giving it another chance.  

I think of it as a sci-fi/horror hybrid that probably skews more sci-fi but it definitely has horror elements.  I would consider it somewhere between Alien and Interstellar/2001.

Spoiler

Aside from the bear scenes, which are very much horror, there are interesting body horror elements in Annihilation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yes

Ha!  I'm actually more interested in watching it now.  

Watched XX on Hulu or Prime last night, forget which one. It’s an anthology with 4 short horror films with a total run time of around 90 mins. Sort of like VHS. All four are pretty solid with different themes. First is a mystery, second is a dark comedy, third standard monster/curse and 4th is like a twist of Rosemarys baby. 

I think I liked the first one "The Box” the best because of its concept.

Spoiler

Boy with family on train meets a mysterious old man and looks inside a box he has. Boy inexplicably stops eating all together, eventually telling the secret to his sister and father who all do same until all 3 die from starvation, driving the mother insane. 

Pretty easy, fun and quick watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Watched XX on Hulu or Prime last night, forget which one. It’s an anthology with 4 short horror films with a total run time of around 90 mins. Sort of like VHS. All four are pretty solid with different themes. First is a mystery, second is a dark comedy, third standard monster/curse and 4th is like a twist of Rosemarys baby. 

Hide contents

Boy with family on train meets a mysterious old man and looks inside a box he has. Boy inexplicably stops eating all together, eventually telling the secret to his sister and father who all do same until all 3 die from starvation, driving the mother insane. 

Nice!  I saw this one a few years back, and I liked it as well.  There's nothing better than an entertaining anthology.  I didn't realize it until after I saw it, but I read that the "common theme" for that entire movie was to place a woman as the focal point since horror is mostly a male dominated genre.  

• Like 1

That reminds me.....I'm sure most of you have seen it, but if you haven't, definitely watch ABC's of Death.  Some of the stories are stupid, but some are extremely disturbing.  I was talking about it at a restaurant years back with my ex-wife, and our waiter overheard us.  He jumped in quietly to let us know he saw it too.  It's not as bad as Cannibal Holocaust or some of the other torture films I've seen in previous pages, but I definitely didn't feel good about myself after I watched it.  😂 

I didn't like the sequel at all from what I remember.  

50 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Nice!  I saw this one a few years back, and I liked it as well.  There's nothing better than an entertaining anthology.  I didn't realize it until after I saw it, but I read that the "common theme" for that entire movie was to place a woman as the focal point since horror is mostly a male dominated genre.  

Yup it was all female directors too. I like a good anthology now and then to switch it up. Time flies and even if it’s a boring or bad film it’s over in 20 or so minutes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.gif.9094d3e39b21541a56d0debcd4b5ab33.gif

• Haha 1

I watched The Invitation on Netflix last night.   I really enjoyed it.  A guy and his girlfriend get invited to a dinner party by his ex wife and her new husband at his old house.  It's the first time their group of friends have seen each other in over two years since some unknown bad event at a party at that house when they were still together.  

Effectively creepy.  I would avoid reading up too much on it because I've seen basic descriptions that give away info that isn't revealed until later in the movie.  It won't ruin it but it gives away a central mystery element to the movie.

Somewhat ironically, The Invitation is directed by Karyn Kusama, one of the directors from XX.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I watched The Invitation on Netflix last night.   I really enjoyed it.  A guy and his girlfriend get invited to a dinner party by his ex wife and her new husband at his old house.  It's the first time their group of friends have seen each other in over two years since some unknown bad event at a party at that house when they were still together.  

Effectively creepy.  I would avoid reading up too much on it because I've seen basic descriptions that give away info that isn't revealed until later in the movie.  It won't ruin it but it gives away a central mystery element to the movie.

Somewhat ironically, The Invitation is directed by Karyn Kusama, one of the directors from XX.

Saw this one a while back, and thought it was pretty good. It's a realllly slow burn movie though. My wife gave up on it about half way through. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Saw this one a while back, and thought it was pretty good. It's a realllly slow burn movie though. My wife gave up on it about half way through. 

Totally agree.  I think I gave it 3 separate chances, because I couldn't get through it the first 2 times.  I just kept reading really good reviews, and I forced myself to watch it.  It's probably one of the best horrors on Netflix (which definitely isn't saying much).  

- Se7en has to be considered a horror movie, correct? That would be my pick for best in class.

-  In this genre, I don’t think the two Hostel movies get the credit they deserve.

- Nightmare on Elm Street III was, by far, my favorite of the series.

- I know we’re all sick of zombies, but 28 Days Later was really good.

- Funny Games and The Strangers are terrifying in their realism.

• Like 1

SHUDDER has the best curated selection of horror movies and TV hands down.

DANIEL ISN'T REAL

TERRIFIED aka Aterrados  (not to be confused with TERRIFIER)

YUMMY is the best zombie movie since TRAIN TO BUSAN.

The ETHERIA anthology is like Black Mirror except much better and more horror oriented.

WOLF CREEK is a fun TV limited series based on the movie.

The new CREEPSHOW series produced by Greg "Walking Dead" Nicotero is good too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SBorBust said:

- Se7en has to be considered a horror movie, correct? That would be my pick for best in class.

-  In this genre, I don’t think the two Hostel movies get the credit they deserve.

- Nightmare on Elm Street III was, by far, my favorite of the series.

- I know we’re all sick of zombies, but 28 Days Later was really good.

- Funny Games and The Strangers are terrifying in their realism.

I wouldn't consider it horror, but I may be wrong.  I'd put it more in the "crime drama" genre if that even is one.  

As for your other movies, I love them all!  Hostel 1 is fantastic.  I could watch that over and over.  There's actually a Hostel 3.  It's pretty bad, but I don't care.  More torture.  

Funny Games is actually one of my favorites along with the Strangers.  It seems like Funny Games goes very under the radar, and it is one of the most disturbing, edge of your seat movies ever.  

Spoiler

When they took a shotgun to that freakin kid, my jaw dropped

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

DANIEL ISN'T REAL

The ETHERIA anthology is like Black Mirror except much better and more horror oriented.

I need to re-subscribe to Shudder and give it another chance.  I watched the new Creepshow series and it was surprisingly good.  I haven't seen any of the other ones you've suggested, although I thought Terrifier and Train to Busan were great.  

16 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I wouldn't consider it horror, but I may be wrong.  I'd put it more in the "crime drama" genre if that even is one.  

As for your other movies, I love them all!  Hostel 1 is fantastic.  I could watch that over and over.  There's actually a Hostel 3.  It's pretty bad, but I don't care.  More torture.  

Funny Games is actually one of my favorites along with the Strangers.  It seems like Funny Games goes very under the radar, and it is one of the most disturbing, edge of your seat movies ever.  

Hide contents

When they took a shotgun to that freakin kid, my jaw dropped

I’ll have to find that third Hostel movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I’ll have to find that third Hostel movie.

If I remember correctly, all the torture takes place in Vegas.  😂

9 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

DANIEL ISN'T REAL

I just finished Yummy, and I’m 3 shorts into Etheria (wife had to take her mom home and stay there so I’m here watching crazy sheet by myself). 

Yummy might have been the dumbest movie I’ve ever seen.  I only stuck with it in hopes they would show the chick’s boobs who was getting a breast reduction (or her mom’s) and they never did.  Instead we saw a zombie deek and a dead girl’s tiny teets.  Train to Busan was fantastic. 

Etheria has me a little interested.  Black Mirror is much better even though half of the stories are boring.  First 2 endings of Etheria were abrupt and terrible.  I’m into the stories and then all of a sudden the endings just punch you in the face and not in a good way. Just finished the 3rd and the whole story was silly.

Does Shudder have any more content?  Or am I looking at it?  I did the free trial awhile back, thought it was ok, but I decided not to pay a monthly subscription even though it’s dirt cheap.  There just aren’t enough movies/shows to justify it unless I’m missing something.