Round 1 pick #13 Eagles select Georgia DT Jordan Davis

Moderator6

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So initial reaction... I like the player, I like what he can bring. I mean he's a monster. He's an athletic freak and he played on the best defense in college. So he ticks those boxes and he also seems like a good kid too.

But... They gave up picks to move up to get him. I'm not sure I love what they gave up. Sure it wasn't huge but we need picks to build this roster. 

And he's not been a pass rusher and to go and trade up to get a DT I feel your need to go and get a guy who gets to the QB.

In this case I don’t think he needs to be a guy who gets sacks. He needs to be a force up the middle that occupies blockers and lets these smaller linebackers make some plays. I mentioned him before, but Vita Vea isn’t a guy who goes out there and gets a bunch of sacks, but he is someone capable of completely disrupting an offensive line. As far as the picks given up they ( in my opinion) we’re worth it. A 25 year old pro bowl receiver and an eventual replacement for Cox who doesn’t like playing the 3-4 nose. Besides they can make up some of these latter picks by trading Dillard and Reagor. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

In this case I don’t think he needs to be a guy who gets sacks. He needs to be a force up the middle that occupies blockers and lets these smaller linebackers make some plays. I mentioned him before, but Vita Vea isn’t a guy who goes out there and gets a bunch of sacks, but he is someone capable of completely disrupting an offensive line. As far as the picks given up they ( in my opinion) we’re worth it. A 25 year old pro bowl receiver and an eventual replacement for Cox who doesn’t like playing the 3-4 nose. Besides they can make up some of these latter picks by trading Dillard and Reagor. 

So here's my thing. If he can be a disruptive force on a 3-4 front then great happy with that. But if they are to play multiple fronts then I'd like to see him develop his pass rush skills on 4-3 fronts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree here. They want to run multiple fronts and look I think they see potential in Davis to develop him to impact the passer. I mean let's be honest here he's an athletic freak so they should be able to develop in that aspect of his game. 

My big issue though is... Why give Cox that money and then do this! Makes no real sense to me. 

Cox is a ver short term answer. Kind of like when they resigned Bradford, but traded to get Wentz. They needed someone in case their plans didn’t work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Cox is a ver short term answer. Kind of like when they resigned Bradford, but traded to get Wentz. They needed someone in case their plans didn’t work. 

Yeah I guess so bud. I still don't like it. I mean it's a lot of money to spend on Cox.

But let's just take a second to think about the most athletic player in this draft. And a player who can hopefully help Cox and Hargrave.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So here's my thing. If he can be a disruptive force on a 3-4 front then great happy with that. But if they are to play multiple fronts then I'd like to see him develop his pass rush skills on 4-3 fronts.

It’s possible, but fortunately they don’t have to rush him, because they have Cox and Hargrave for another year. Next season he’s the starter and Cox is likely gone.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

It’s possible, but fortunately they don’t have to rush him, because they have Cox and Hargrave for another year. Next season he’s the starter and Cox is likely gone.

I know they don't have to. I know if he can eat up the middle then he can free up Cox, Hargrave, Sweat, BG, Reddick. I just want more from a guy you trade up for. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I guess so bud. I still don't like it. I mean it's a lot of money to spend on Cox.

But let's just take a second to think about the most athletic player in this draft. And a player who can hopefully help Cox and Hargrave.

Cox and Hargrave wore down last season. With Davis and Williams the Eagles have two guys who can spell them and make plays. It’s a good problem to have.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree here. They want to run multiple fronts and look I think they see potential in Davis to develop him to impact the passer. I mean let's be honest here he's an athletic freak so they should be able to develop in that aspect of his game. 

My big issue though is... Why give Cox that money and then do this! Makes no real sense to me. 

Probably figure he's not ready to be a full time starter but still ridiculous. Sad to say but we should've upgraded Fletch 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Cox and Hargrave wore down last season. With Davis and Williams the Eagles have two guys who can spell them and make plays. It’s a good problem to have.

Oh I agree with you there. Hargrave started on fire and then teams started scheming for him. Cox isn't the same player he was but now he can be rotated even more. And if Davis can eat up double teams then he's going to free up Hargrave again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know they don't have to. I know if he can eat up the middle then he can free up Cox, Hargrave, Sweat, BG, Reddick. I just want more from a guy you trade up for. 

DTs impact doesn’t always show up in numbers. If linebackers are getting up the middle sacks you will be happy about it. 

• Like 1

DTs impact doesn’t always show up in numbers. If linebackers are getting up the middle sacks you will be happy about it. 

I agree with you and I'm not really arguing with you bud. Like I said he can free up others and that's exciting. But I just want him to use those athletic tools to go and get after the QB more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I agree with you there. Hargrave started on fire and then teams started scheming for him. Cox isn't the same player he was but now he can be rotated even more. And if Davis can eat up double teams then he's going to free up Hargrave again. 

I hope they aren’t done on defense. They need more playmakers. Secondary players with ball hawk skills and more guys who can get to the quarterback. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with you and I'm not really arguing with you bud. Like I said he can free up others and that's exciting. But I just want him to use those athletic tools to go and get after the QB more.

I think they have time to develop his pass rush skills. I’m more concerned with him maintaining hie weight though. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I hope they aren’t done on defense. They need more playmakers. Secondary players with ball hawk skills and more guys who can get to the quarterback. 

For me they now need to go add a Safety or corner in the second. Then go add a Fuller or Mathieu (depending which position they address in the draft). Then this team has a chance to be special in years to come. 

Lol well hopefully we draft someone to play MLB who can be an effective blitzer consistently. Feel like that's underestimated around here, but maybe I'm wrong.  

I think they have time to develop his pass rush skills. I’m more concerned with him maintaining hie weight though. 

Philly cheesesteaks, cheesecake. Miss that stuff, it'll make anyone fat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NITEF4LL said:

Lol well hopefully we draft someone to play MLB who can be an effective blitzer consistently. Feel like that's underestimated around here, but maybe I'm wrong.  

My guess is White will be in the middle, but I’m not fully sure. It is maddening how little respect this team has for linebackers though.

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

My guess is White will be in the middle, but I’m not fully sure. It is maddening how little respect this team has for linebackers though.

Forgot about him and yea. I can accept many things but having a sound LB does wonders for a defense. Not asking for a star literally just someone good and sound. Like Devon Campbell or Demario Davis type. 

• Like 1

It's a solid pick, I think Hamilton is a genuine stud at Safety and I would have probably gone that way but this is a solid pick, one of those where you can't really argue with where he was taken and he could become an absolute beast if he kicks on.

36 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

In this case I don’t think he needs to be a guy who gets sacks. He needs to be a force up the middle that occupies blockers and lets these smaller linebackers make some plays. I mentioned him before, but Vita Vea isn’t a guy who goes out there and gets a bunch of sacks, but he is someone capable of completely disrupting an offensive line. As far as the picks given up they ( in my opinion) we’re worth it. A 25 year old pro bowl receiver and an eventual replacement for Cox who doesn’t like playing the 3-4 nose. Besides they can make up some of these latter picks by trading Dillard and Reagor

Oh yeah we're gonna be ripping up stumps with the extra conditional 6th we get for Reagor.

We knew Howie wasn't going to take a LB in round 1 so this pick is not surprising...I think he will go CB/LB in the second and third rounds. 

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Oh yeah we're gonna be ripping up stumps with the extra conditional 6th we get for Reagor.

A 6th round pick is another pick. They got Maiata with one of those picks and now he’s one of the better young tackles in the league. Jalen Mills was a late round pick who helped them win a Super Bowl. If they get a 6th for Reagor I’m happy. Better than getting nothing or having to deal with watching him try and fail at everything he does for another season. 

With Hamilton being available ....I would have rather drafted Kyle Hamilton over Davis.

17 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

With Hamilton being available ....I would have rather drafted Kyle Hamilton over Davis.

I'm sure most of the fan base are with you there bud! But we know this FO and we know the priority they put on the lines.