Round 1 pick #13 Eagles select Georgia DT Jordan Davis

Moderator6

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So much for draft assets. 

Screenshot_20220429-085025_Facebook.jpg

Lol yeah going 70+ picks without a pick a few times is wild. Gotta add Brown as a 1st, and the picks we got for trading a pick earlier and it looks more fulfilling 

30 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t understand the pick. It just has Howie and his analytics written all over it. He’s looking at his size, speed, etc and drafting him based on that. Davis showed flashes in college but didn’t dominate like he should have. He’s not a pass rusher and he has poor conditioning. This guy will be out of gas in the 4th quarter. 

You do realize he won the Bednarik Award and Outland Trophy in 2021, right? 

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/jordan-davis-wins-2021-bednarik-award-and-outland-trophy/article_e488d1ca-597c-11ec-8ae3-b772b249eac5.html

The senior won the 2021 Bednarik Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive player, and the Outland Trophy, given to the country’s top interior lineman on either side of the ball.

So, yes, he did dominate. So much so that he won two of the most prestigious awards in college football.  But other than that, spot on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kz! said:

So if we retained our 1st and selected Treylon Burks at 18 we would be doing better in your eyes because we would have an additional 1st round pick in the "draft asset" category? I don't know, man, I'd rather have the 24 year-old that's already proven himself to be a top 10 WR in the NFL as opposed to the rookie who could potentially be a bust. 

I didn't say that at all but thanks for playing.  

No, I wouldn't have traded up just 2 spots for Davis and give up a 4th and 2 5ths.  I liked having those picks to add to a roster that has holes and desperate for defensive talent in a draft that has good defensive picks to make.  They needed to draft CB, S and DE to capitalize on the talent in this draft.  They could have traded back to the late 1st.  Karlaftis, Jermaine Johnson, Daxton Hill...guys that would help the defense.  Davis hopefully is a stud.  I would have stayed at 15 and if the Ravens did take him, then take Hamilton to get a real safety.  

And maybe wait til draft day to trade with the Saints.  They only drafted one player in the 1st after having 3 first round picks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I didn't say that at all but thanks for playing.  

No, I wouldn't have traded up just 2 spots for Davis and give up a 4th and 2 5ths.  I liked having those picks to add to a roster that has holes and desperate for defensive talent in a draft that has good defensive picks to make.  They needed to draft CB, S and DE to capitalize on the talent in this draft.  They could have traded back to the late 1st.  Karlaftis, Jermaine Johnson, Daxton Hill...guys that would help the defense.  Davis hopefully is a stud.  I would have stayed at 15 and if the Ravens did take him, then take Hamilton to get a real safety.  

And maybe wait til draft day to trade with the Saints.  They only drafted one player in the 1st after having 3 first round picks. 

Yeah, I just feel like showing a picture of how few draft picks we have remaining is dismissive of the fact that we brought in a top ten NFL receiver who is only 24 with two of them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Yeah, I just feel like showing a picture of how few draft picks we have remaining is dismissive of the fact that we brought in a top ten NFL receiver who is only 24 with two of them. 

He's part of it, so are the future picks they got from the Saints.  But they have a bunch of needs, Howie has hyped up draft assets and building the roster all offseason then traded 6 picks for 2 players.  In recent years he's defended his poor drafting by saying he hasn't had a lot of picks, trading picks away and retaining the SB roster.  So his talk about having additional picks and assets goes out the window.  I'm fine with the picks traded for Brown, as I said I didn't like giving up 3 additional picks to move just 2 spots for Davis.

28 minutes ago, Kz! said:

You do realize he won the Bednarik Award and Outland Trophy in 2021, right? 

https:/www.redandblack.com/sports/jordan-davis-wins-2021-bednarik-award-and-outland-trophy/article_e488d1ca-597c-11ec-8ae3-b772b249eac5.html

So, yes, he did dominate. So much so that he won two of the most prestigious awards in college football.  But other than that, spot on.

Of course, but do you think he was as dominant as he should’ve been? A guy with those measurables should be unstoppable in college. He had 32 tackles and 2 sacks as a Senior. 

Hey, I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see the fit and his conditioning concerns me. If he came to camp at 330 and in tip-top conditioning, I’d feel a lot better about the pick. 

One angle here I'm glad about is once again drafting from the SEC and a guy from a championship team who knows how to win.  I liked last year they finally drafted from Alabama, get away from drafting soft players from the west coast.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Of course, but do you think he was as dominant as he should’ve been? A guy with those measurables should be unstoppable in college. He had 32 tackles and 2 sacks as a Senior. 

Hey, I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see the fit and his conditioning concerns me. If he came to camp at 330 and in tip-top conditioning, I’d feel a lot better about the pick. 

I feel like being the best player on a historically great defense and being recognized as the best defensive player in the nation and the best interior lineman (offensive and defensive) is indicative of him being an incredibly dominant college player. Clearly that didn't translate into statistical output, but it seems pretty safe to say that he was seen as a dominant force by people who watch the games. 

• Like 1

Not thrilled about trading up for a run stopping two down player. But Brown made last night ok. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t understand the pick. It just has Howie and his analytics written all over it. He’s looking at his size, speed, etc and drafting him based on that. Davis showed flashes in college but didn’t dominate like he should have. He’s not a pass rusher and he has poor conditioning. This guy will be out of gas in the 4th quarter. 

You don't understand it? This kid was the NCAA defensive player of the year in 2021. But he wasn't dominate? Really. 

He signed with the Bulldogs over North Carolina and N.C. State. Upon transitioning to Georgia, Davis made an immediate impact at nose tackle in a 3-4 base scheme, earning Freshman All-SEC and Freshman All-American honors. 

4. Though he was projected as an early-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, Davis opted to return for his senior season at Georgia. The winner of the 2021 Chuck Bednarik Award, given annually to the best defensive player in college football, he recorded 32 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and two sacks on his way to First-Team All-SEC and First-Team All-American honors. 

9 minutes ago, Kz! said:

and being recognized as the best defensive player in the nation

He got the award because Anderson was a Heisman finalist. Will Anderson was the best defensive player last year and it wasn't close.

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

kid was the NCAA defensive player of the year in 2021

Will Anderson would have gotten it if he wasn't a Heisman finalist. He's a two down run stopper. He's fine but he's not a game changer. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He got the award because Anderson was a Heisman finalist. Will Anderson was the best defensive player last year and it wasn't close.

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Will Anderson would have gotten it if he wasn't a Heisman finalist. He's a two down run stopper. He's fine but he's not a game changer. 

OK, he was the second best defensive player in the nation. That's kind of incredible for a two down run stopper who isn't a game changer. :lol: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kz! said:

OK, he was the second best defensive player in the nation. That's kind of incredible for a two down run stopper who isn't a game changer. :lol: 

This isn't college. He can't pass rush so he won't be on the field on most third downs. He's a run stopper and a good one. Worth what we gave up? Meh

If they wanted Dline I would rather them have gone after a pass rusher. 

My buddy lives in Athens and was standing next to Jordan Davis at a restaurant.  He's 6'5" and he said Davis was quite a bit taller than him.  I'd be surprised if he was only 6'6".  He's a huge man.

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

We pretty much got a TO .... IN HIS PRIME.

16 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

This isn't college. He can't pass rush so he won't be on the field on most third downs. He's a run stopper and a good one. Worth what we gave up? Meh

You know... prospects develop right? He can develop those skills while also still contributing to ruin run games. We do a rotation anyway so it's perfect. Gotta bish about something I guess.

7 minutes ago, judunno said:

You know... prospects develop right? He can develop those skills while also still contributing to ruin run games. We do a rotation anyway so it's perfect. Gotta bish about something I guess.

If you wanna go Dline there why not a pass rusher? There were some good ones. It's a passing league now than ever. Two most important traits in a team. Protect your passer and get to the other guy. And I'm happy about last night because we got Brown. So it's not a huge deal. 

I like the pick. I hope he just does not turn out to be a Broderick Bunkley who was a workout warrior and was a decent player but was picked higher than he should have been.

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

If you wanna go Dline there why not a pass rusher? There were some good ones. It's a passing league now than ever. Two most important traits in a team. Protect your passer and get to the other guy. And I'm happy about last night because we got Brown. So it's not a huge deal. 

What good is an edge pass rush if you can't collapse the middle? You need both. He doesn't necessarily have to actually get there but cause havoc and take on 2 guys potentially. Plus he's tall as hell so I foresee him taking away some passing lanes and getting some paws on the ball when he doesn't get to the QB. He was the BPA for DL at that time. We still have a few picks left they'll address edge rusher this year and next. Don't forget we got Reddick to contribute also. This big beast frees him and Sweat up. Not sure what's not to like in a prospect. Big, athletic, should be fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Not sure what's not to like in a prospect

I think moving up by giving away two picks wasn't necessary. 

1 minute ago, vaff said:

The guy won the Chuck Bednarik Award as National Defensive Player of the Year. Pretty sure that would constitute "dominating”.

He was definitely one of the best. But if Anderson hadn't been a Heisman finalist he would have gotten it. Hands down the best defensive player last year. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m fine with the next Vince Wilfork.

This guy is the size of Wilfork but more athletic than Aaron Donald.

• Like 1