Round 1 pick #13 Eagles select Georgia DT Jordan Davis

Moderator6

6 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

He attempted a straightline angle while weighing 150 lbs more than the guy he's chasing:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761104aa43f5468e0916d3

Have you ever seen Vince Wilfork do this? Haloti Ngata? Snacks Harrison? Jordan is bigger than all of them.

He's now 30 lbs lighter than he was in this gif, and ran a 40 time faster than Dak Prescott, Pat Mahomes, and Jameis WInston.

So, they got a 300 lbs linebacker 🤗

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AzBirdGang said:

People are underrating this pick so much. He could potentially be the best player on the defense in the next 3 years. 

Some people are, many view him as a stud pick.

One reason it's not as exciting is he replaces Cox so it's a net change at DT with holes on the roster back 7. Had they kept another first & drafted a CB or S it would make reaction different. 

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

One reason it's not as exciting is he replaces Cox so it's a net change at DT with holes on the roster back 7. Had they kept another first & drafted a CB or S it would make reaction different. 

I get that totally. Maybe they only liked a few corners. I didn’t think there were any of value at their 2nd pick. I did like Daxton Hill though. 

Davis has the most exciting potential of an Eagles dlineman in years. More than Cox did when he drafted. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Cox hasn’t been the same player over the last couple seasons, though. 

Just now, vaff said:

Cox hasn’t been the same player over the last couple seasons, though. 

Totally, and Davis should solidify the position hopefully for a decade. Just saying getting him is another DT whereas a lot of fans were also hoping for upgrades at other defensive positions. Dean at LB helps a lot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Dean at LB helps a lot.

I know things may not work out for Dean. I know he's a little undersized and I believe there were some medical concerns? But I absolutely love the value. He's a really good football player and he could end up being a steal.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, nipples said:

I’ll say who I would have preferred: Hamilton. Dude is going to be a game changing safety. Instead we draft a DT who is so bad at rushing the QB that he gets taken off the field on third down. 

As far as being taken off the field..Davis said it is because they had so much other talent on Georgia defense..

But deeper than that, I am curious to see how Ganon is going to use him...because right now I do not understand the purpose of a pure nose tackle on the 4-3 defense.

His ability to protect the linebackers from offensive lineman  would be something, if we had any,  but can't rely on a less than 100 percent health rookie to change our LB situation. 

Ganon mentioned something about his hybrid defense, but like I said, I do not have any idea how this will be implemented.

17 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

But deeper than that, I am curious to see how Ganon is going to use him...because right now I do not understand the purpose of a pure nose tackle on the 4-3 defense.

I don't think he's a pure nose tackle though. I think he's a versatile player who can play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. And I think with good coaching he'll develop more. The concern has to be his weight fluctuations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think he's a pure nose tackle though. I think he's a versatile player who can play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. And I think with good coaching he'll develop more. The concern has to be his weight fluctuations. 

I am kind of pissed about the cost ,...given up,  to move up for Davis. So when you say  "develop" ...I am even more upset. The top 15 guys should be ready to play. With later picks you reach for guys who will develop.

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

I am kind of pissed about the cost ,...given up,  to move up for Davis. So when you say  "develop" ...I am even more upset. The top 15 guys should be ready to play. With later picks you reach for guys who will develop.

When I say develop I mean as a pass rusher. I think he's ready to play. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.e9d8bc079f6edf13bb2c275ff309a1ff.jpeg

The man in the middle is first round DT Devonte Wyatt. 6’3, 315. Notice how he has a gut/love handles and Davis does not. Look at those thighs

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Every player develops.

Davis is ready to step in, day 1, and be a dominant run defender who can use his strength to collapse the pocket.

But the key here is that at his size, with his athletic ability, he has a chance to be a true world beater. He wasn’t asked to be much of a pass rusher in college, but he’s shown the ability to get upfield when given a chance. Add some coaching and technique/rush move improvement and you’re looking at a potential all-pro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Every player develops.

Davis is ready to step in, day 1, and be a dominant run defender who can use his strength to collapse the pocket.

But the key here is that at his size, with his athletic ability, he has a chance to be a true world beater. He wasn’t asked to be much of a pass rusher in college, but he’s shown the ability to get upfield when given a chance. Add some coaching and technique/rush move improvement and you’re looking at a potential all-pro.

I've read a lot that he was taken off the field because he's not an effective pass rusher. Now firstly I'm sure with good coaching he can improve that. But also it should be noted that Georgia had a stacked DL. And also he was used as a run stuffer which has got to be tiring. Imagine him in a 4-3 front with Cox or Hargrave next to him... More opportunity to use that size to get to the QB.

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I've read a lot that he was taken off the field because he's not an effective pass rusher. Now firstly I'm sure with good coaching he can improve that. But also it should be noted that Georgia had a stacked DL. And also he was used as a run stuffer which has got to be tiring. Imagine him in a 4-3 front with Cox or Hargrave next to him... More opportunity to use that size to get to the QB.

I read that he was not asked to pass rush but to free up others by taking double teams for his teammates. Sacrificed personal stats for his team's success as

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, judunno said:

I read that he was not asked to pass rush but to free up others by taking double teams for his teammates. Sacrificed personal stats for his team's success as

Yeah and look I'm not thinking he'll ever be a 10+ sack DT but I think there are tools there to work with. I think he can disrupt the pass game.

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

^^this^^

Georgia had a loaded defense, but their system basically used Davis as a human black hole who just gobbled up the space time continuum. His role was to free up everyone else, so that’s what he did.

I think he can become an impact pass rusher using his power. How many OL are going to be able to anchor against that power and mass? Not too many. Even the biggest OGs are likely to be giving up both size and athleticism to him.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and look I'm not thinking he'll ever be a 10+ sack DT but I think there are tools there to work with. I think he can disrupt the pass game.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he was an 8 sack DT. He’s just so powerful and fast. Teams game plans are going to start and end with blocking him. I’m incredibly excited to see what he can do.

• Like 1

Just now, TEW said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if he was an 8 sack DT. He’s just so powerful and fast. Teams game plans are going to start and end with blocking him. I’m incredibly excited to see what he can do.

I mean yeah I think he can become that for sure! I mean the raw athleticism feels like too much there for him not to be a guy who can get after the QB.

Some geniuses on Facebook are comparing him to Broderick Bunkley and blaming Howie for it. Idiots. 

13 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Some geniuses on Facebook are comparing him to Broderick Bunkley and blaming Howie for it. Idiots. 

Broderick Bunkley was a solid player. I’m going to knock him.

However, Bunkley was considered to have a great combine, iirc. Yet, at 6’2 306 he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.96 seconds. This dude is 35 lbs heavier, more than 4 inches taller, and ran the 40 yard dash in 4.78 seconds.

Should add a couple more numbers. Bunkley had a 32.5 inch vertical; Davis 32 inches(at 35 lbs heavier). Bunk had a broad jump of 113 inches; Davis 123 inches.

Also, in the 40 yard dash Bunk was clocked at 16.49 mph. Davis has been clocked at 19.8 mph — and that was in a game, with pads, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know things may not work out for Dean. I know he's a little undersized and I believe there were some medical concerns? But I absolutely love the value. He's a really good football player and he could end up being a steal.

In the NFL today big linebackers aren’t as big of a need as ones who can play the run and pass. Sam Mills played the game at 5-9 and 230, and that was during a much more physical NFL. I’m not going to worry about his size, but I do wonder if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

In the NFL today big linebackers aren’t as big of a need as ones who can play the run and pass. Sam Mills played the game at 5-9 and 230, and that was during a much more physical NFL. I’m not worry about his size, but I do wonder if he can stay healthy.

It’s also less of a concern, when you have a guy nicknamed "Godzilla” in front of you.

• Like 1