Round 1 pick #13 Eagles select Georgia DT Jordan Davis

Moderator6

56 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

With Hamilton being available ....I would have rather drafted Kyle Hamilton over Davis.

Hamilton is a strange one.

He quite doesn't have the speed to be a DB and scouts are saying apparently he is not a LB either... So at best he would be a safety which is not really worth it over Davis IMO.

11 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

Hamilton is a strange one.

He quite doesn't have the speed to be a DB and scouts are saying apparently he is not a LB either... So at best he would be a safety which is not really worth it over Davis IMO.

the same could be said about Brian Dawkins, or any other great safety. I see a potential pro bowler in Hamilton, who would have solidified our depleted back field...for the next 10 years. Davis may be a beast on some plays, but he is not as consistent. as i would prefer with such a high selection. Moving up for him and giving up all the picks. Would have been perfectly fine with trading down if My guy was not there. Hamilton is one of the guys that i chose prior to the draft worth moving up for.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If this guy starts making plays like that in the NFL people are going to quickly buy in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So here's my thing. If he can be a disruptive force on a 3-4 front then great happy with that. But if they are to play multiple fronts then I'd like to see him develop his pass rush skills on 4-3 fronts.

I posted a video earlier in the thread where near the end they show a clip from one of his college coaches, that indicates he wasn’t asked to be a pass rusher. They didn’t really give guys free reign to just get after the QB.

• Like 1

Travon Walker only had 9.5 career sacks, for those on the sack totals hill.

56 minutes ago, wyote said:

Maybe the next Warren Sapp. Maybe the next Johnathan Sullivan. Too soon to tell. 

I’m fine with the next Vince Wilfork.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m fine with the next Vince Wilfork.

Hey! We agree on something! That's what I said. If he ends up a Wilfork, I'd be happy as hell. Means teams only head outside for a decade 

• Like 1

I am a lifelong Dawgs fan, so I am happy but hesitant with the Jordan Davis Pick (I think there were more reliable players at areas of need when we picked). Davis was at times completely dominant last year, and his combine performance was mind boggling. But I have concerns. Davis needs to keep his weight in check and needs to work on his conditioning. He was heavier in college (mid 350's), and somehow that didn't stop him from being clocked at nearly 20 Mph.

But he fluctuates in weight and his stamina suspect. Concerns about the number of downs Davis played have been well documented. And he became visibly gassed in the 4th quarter, especially towards the end of the year. Bottom line, he is a freak athlete who is ready (day one) to gobble up blockers and stuff the run WHEN HE IS ON THE FIELD. 

But there are things to love about him as well. He is authentic as you can get, and the dude has a way of bringing smiles to the faces of anyone he encounters. He is also very responsive to coaching and is more than willing to put in the work. When called out about his weight, he worked his ass off to trim down and be ready for the playoffs and the draft.

Finally, I understand all the concerns about playing time, but part of the reason was because Georgia's unit was so deep and we could rotate guys with ease. Davis is coming into the perfect situation. We have a HOF level veteran in Cox to mentor the young rookie. We have a pro-bowler behind him in Hargrave. And then Milton Williams who brings athleticism and pass rushing ability. We have depth. Davis can take his time building up into a 3 down guy. 

• Like 3

After sleeping over it, he‘s a great pick for us. Roseman meant it when he said they look for special traits.. Will be interesting to see Gannon now. With Davis, Reddick and White he should be able to change things up in a way that was just impossible last year already.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Hey! We agree on something! That's what I said. If he ends up a Wilfork, I'd be happy as hell. Means teams only head outside for a decade 

When it comes to the quarterback we probably agree more than you realize, but my approach about it differs from the rest of you guys. I have my doubts about him, but I’m just not actively rooting against him or looking forward to him failing. Back to Davis though the interior guy doesn’t need to be some big numbers sack guy to dominate. If he’s in there controlling the middle he’s making an impact.

NFL.com Draft Grades, Round 1.

Grade
A+

:Eagle_smiley:

Draft pick

Analysis: It feels like GM Howie Roseman won the first round before it even started, after making a number of big-time trades dating back to last offseason's Carson Wentz deal with Indianapolis. Of course, to truly benefit, Roseman had to make Round 1 count. I projected the Eagles moving up for Davis in previous mock drafts because they desperately needed to improve their run defense. His ability to eat up double-teams will make veteran Fletcher Cox and last year's third-round pick, Milton Williams, even better up front. The athleticism Davis showed at the NFL Scouting Combine was outstanding, and when given a gap to shoot in Georgia's defense, he made his way into the backfield. As long as Davis stays in shape, he will prove to be more than a one-trick pony, affecting passing lanes with his pure size. 

Roseman turned Philly's second first-round pick (No. 18) into former Titans receiver A.J. Brown, whom they immediately gave a four-year extension worth $100 million with $57 million guaranteed. That's better than picking any receiver in this draft, so you have to hand it to the Eagles' staff for making great moves on Day 1.

• Like 2

I don’t understand the pick. It just has Howie and his analytics written all over it. He’s looking at his size, speed, etc and drafting him based on that. Davis showed flashes in college but didn’t dominate like he should have. He’s not a pass rusher and he has poor conditioning. This guy will be out of gas in the 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, wyote said:

Maybe the next Warren Sapp. Maybe the next Johnathan Sullivan. Too soon to tell. 

Warren Sapp was 6’2 300 lbs and could rush the passer. Totally different player. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

When it comes to the quarterback we probably agree more than you realize, but my approach about it differs from the rest of you guys. I have my doubts about him, but I’m just not actively rooting against him or looking forward to him failing. Back to Davis though the interior guy doesn’t need to be some big numbers sack guy to dominate. If he’s in there controlling the middle he’s making an impact.

Sometimes being unmoving is a fantastic trait. If he can walk his man back a few times a game and the QB can't step up....huge bonus. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t understand the pick. It just has Howie and his analytics written all over it. He’s looking at his size, speed, etc and drafting him based on that. Davis showed flashes in college but didn’t dominate like he should have. He’s not a pass rusher and he has poor conditioning. This guy will be out of gas in the 4th quarter. 

As said before, he wasn’t asked to be a pass rusher. 

as for conditioning, he’s at an NFL team now who should be able to sort that out pretty easily 

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Sometimes being unmoving is a fantastic trait. If he can walk his man back a few times a game and the QB can't step up....huge bonus. 

And, as I've just heard, if he can stuff the run then Gannon can do more with the back end of his defense. He doesn't always need to sit a S in the box to help against the run. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

No one on that defense line for Georgia was a pass rusher nor were they asked to be. 

I mean Walker was originally a DT but couldn't beat out Davis and Wyatt so got moved to DE. 

we gave up a few later picks for this trade but Im all good with it.  we only have a no pick round in rounds 4 and 6.  this is howies first draft in a while Im happy with.

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So much for draft assets. 

Screenshot_20220429-085025_Facebook.jpg

So if we retained our 1st and selected Treylon Burks at 18 we would be doing better in your eyes because we would have an additional 1st round pick in the "draft asset" category? I don't know, man, I'd rather have the 24 year-old that's already proven himself to be a top 10 WR in the NFL as opposed to the rookie who could potentially be a bust.