The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

7 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Hurts will have a decent year, an improvement over 2021, and we move up to take a QB in the 2023 draft. QB sits behind Hurts for a year and then we let him go in FA, Washington or Minnesota pick him up in FA and declare it the move of the decade despite him being a borderline top 16 QB at that point, new QB is our starter moving forward in 2024.

Surely if Hurts has a decent year and shows improvement over 2021 then he's a prime trade candidate? If we take a QB in the first next year that is. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Surely if Hurts has a decent year and shows improvement over 2021 then he's a prime trade candidate? If we take a QB in the first next year that is. 

Howie covets QBs. We didn’t trade Foles after he won the SB, Minshew before this draft, Chase Daniel when he was pissed…

So unless we pull a Sam Bradford and say "sure, let the rookie start,” I think Hurts starting 1 more year and letting QBx learn is worth more to the FO than alternative. What SF did last year, particularly if 2022 turns out to be a decent year and we have a shot at something in 2023

47 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re so dumb it’s not even funny.  You’ll get it.  One day.  

Good lord so much crying 

I guess we'll see how the QB thing plays out.

Nobody knows what will happen or whether players improve or make the grade.

They will prove it on the field.

Meanwhile, have the Eagles made any statements on their UDFA haul this year?

Did they violate some unwritten rules by outbidding other teams and aggressive pursuit?

And, free agency . . . now we know what we got in the draft and UDFA. Back into that FA mix.

Will Howie stay aggressive? Dunno. Are the eagles more attractive now? Yes.

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Can’t imagine how excited the Hurts haters would have got if the Eagles actually drafted a QB if they get this excited over a UDFA. 

Our 2022 QB will be Hurts. Our 2023 QB will almost certainly be Hurts or a 2023 draft pick.

To be fair, if it wasn’t for concerns over his knee, Strong was likely a day 2 pick at worst. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Can’t imagine how excited the Hurts haters would have got if the Eagles actually drafted a QB if they get this excited over a UDFA. 

Our 2022 QB will be Hurts. Our 2023 QB will almost certainly be Hurts or a 2023 draft pick.

Oh let them have their dreams for now.

They will be in full force when the season starts when the Eagles win a game and they say 'They would have won by more if it wasn't for Hurts' or 'Yeah they won, but Hurts missed that one throw in the 3rd quarter, Strong would have made that one' even though Strong will be on the practice squad by then. And so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Good lord so much crying 

Crying ??  We are excited, we found a franchise QB

The guy is going to get his knee annihilated in the preseason when he’s forced to play with scrubs 

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Way to go out of a limb there. 

44 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Crying ??  We are excited, we found a franchise QB

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

So here is Carson Strong in the Senior Bowl.

(48) Every Carson Strong Throw/Run Senior Bowl 2022 - YouTube

He had 11 throws. Let's go through them.

1. Quick screen to a wr. Okay throw.

2. Same play to the other side. Terrible throw. Low, barely completed and bad placement hampered the ability of the receiver to pick up yac.

3. Interception on an underthrown ball. The receiver had two steps but had to wait for it, allowing the DB to recover.

4. Designed roll out, which he executed about as well as a guy with one leg can do. Nice throw to the only guy he could get the ball to.

5. This is a broken play. The linemen are blocking like it's a screen pass, but the back got plastered by a lineman and never got out of the scrum.

6. Third and 17. Not a great situation for him. Throws a nice ball short of the first down but looks like the receiver didn't make what was a tough catch in traffic.

7. A throwaway on a naked bootleg that was sniffed out. With him, there is a zero percent chance of off-platform plays.

8. Uh oh. Bails from a clean pocket, drops his eyes and runs into pressure. It's probably his nicest throw of the day to convert on 3rd and 7. But there was a potential big play up top if he trusts his protection, which he didn't.

9. Runs out of a clean pocket again. Well, run is a generous description. Hits a back on a checkdown. But this play is very Jalen Hurts-like. Yikes.

10. A designed deep shot to Christian Watson. Great opportunity to air it out and he leaves it short. Gets bailed out by a PI call, but the only reason it was PI is because the ball was underthrown.

11. End zone fade route that is poorly thrown, but to be fair, these throws are off all the time.

Now, here is EJ Perry in the Shrine Game.

(48) Ej Perry 2022 Shrine Bowl - YouTube

I don't know how anyone can watch these two videos and think Strong is a better prospect. 

• Like 1

Good stuff jsb.

I guess Carson Strong won’t make it.

Nothing to see here then.

Eagles gave out a lot of guaranteed money to this UDFA group. They really must think highly of this group. With that being the case if anyone really thinks there’s a QB controversy here then you haven’t been paying attention. None of these guys will be the starter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles gave out a lot of guaranteed money to this UDFA group. They really must think highly of this group. With that being the case if anyone really thinks there’s a QB controversy here then you haven’t been paying attention. None of these guys will be the starter. 

I think a lot of these guys were draftable in any other year, but this class was a lot bigger due to covid. So I would think of a lot of these guys as sixth- or seventh-rounders rather than a typical UDFA.

Goodrich, Jobe and Brooks were top 100 players at one point (as was Strong obviously.) I think several will make the team. 

"The official qb thread" would've made more sense as a title. Just sayin

23 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Oh let them have their dreams for now.

They will be in full force when the season starts when the Eagles win a game and they say 'They would have won by more if it wasn't for Hurts' or 'Yeah they won, but Hurts missed that one throw in the 3rd quarter, Strong would have made that one' even though Strong will be on the practice squad by then. And so on.

21 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Way to go out of a limb there. 

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles Eagles - you asked who thought there was a competition. Just read the threads and consider that someone has already set-up this thread.

As for Strong, great arm, but the medical issues are real, as are the flaws. People are acting here like he has realistic top 10 QB potential. If that was the case, would he really have gone undrafted in what was viewed as a really weak QB class?

There is so much Hurts hate on this board and every time he has a bad game, we will get the inevitable "Should Hurts be benched" thread.

Hurts has a great opportunity here. The O is loaded now. It remains to be seen if he can take it. I'm not blind to his faults and I share a lot of concerns that his haters have. But I also see his upside and am not shut off to the idea that he could improve, particularly with the supporting cast he has. He has this year to prove himself.

Let's hope he does, because the D is still desperately in need of more young talent and we could really do with using those 2 firsts on the secondary/DE in 2023.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Eagles Eagles - you asked who thought there was a competition. Just read the threads and consider that someone has already set-up this thread.

As for Strong, great arm, but the medical issues are real, as are the flaws. People are acting here like he has realistic top 10 QB potential. If that was the case, would he really have gone undrafted in what was viewed as a really weak QB class?

There is so much Hurts hate on this board and every time he has a bad game, we will get the inevitable "Should Hurts be benched" thread.

Hurts has a great opportunity here. The O is loaded now. It remains to be seen if he can take it. I'm not blind to his faults and I share a lot of concerns that his haters have. But I also see his upside and am not shut off to the idea that he could improve, particularly with the supporting cast he has. He has this year to prove himself.

Let's hope he does, because the D is still desperately in need of more young talent and we could really do with using those 2 firsts on the secondary/DE in 2023.

This is the "risky" comment that  I was referring to.  The 2023 will ALMOST CERTAINLY be Hurts or a 2023 draft pick.  Really?!  I can't imagine that the QB will fall into those categories.   I was just commenting on the deep thought process there.  

I will keep a look out from those who say there is a QB controversy right now, because there isn't one.  We are stuck with Hurts. but that won't stop speculation that there could be one down the line (and that's fair).  Right now, I think it's your (and a few others) insecurities with alternative theories on the QB that drives your feelings.  "Hate" is normal here with that position and has been for years.   Your "new fan" designation is showing.

This isn't going away anytime soon.  This is a divided fanbase on that position and both sides aren't giving an inch.  If you think its bad now, just let the Eagles extend him with anything short of a stellar, almost MVP-like year.  It is still being tamped down by the hope that a new QB is coming for next season.  I'd hate to be Howie making that call.

10 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I will keep a look out from those who say there is a QB controversy right now, because there isn't one.  We are stuck with Hurts. but that won't stop speculation that there could be one down the line (and that's fair).  Right now, I think it's your (and a few others) insecurities with alternative theories on the QB that drives your feelings.  "Hate" is normal here with that position and has been for years.   As a NEW FAN, You have missed how nasty the position has been on the EMB since McNabb got here.  You want toxic, just slip back to those championship game losses or puking (and losing) in the SB.  He was booed at the draft and booed until he left.  Or the TO debacle.  Or Wentz versus Foles.  Or the early Vick topics.  The first and last united period was Wentz from draft through the injury....then straight to the old world battles.  

This isn't going away anytime soon.  This is a divided fanbase on that position and both sides aren't giving an inch.  If you think its bad now, just let the Eagles extend him with anything short of a stellar, almost MVP-like year.  It is still being tamped down by the hope that a new QB is coming for next season.  I'd hate to be Howie making that call.

Even if he had an MVP-like year and was extended, there would be a group of fans that would say it was a fluke and the Eagles were dumb to do it.

You are right though - there is no position that exudes more vitriol and hate than the starting QB position of the Philadelphia Eagles. And no person is more popular than the backup QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Even if he had an MVP-like year and was extended, there would be a group of fans that would say it was a fluke and the Eagles were dumb to do it.

You are right though - there is no position that exudes more vitriol and hate than the starting QB position of the Philadelphia Eagles. And no person is more popular than the backup QB.

And the thing about that is that it would look like a fluke, because he hasn't shown anything close to that level of consistency yet.  It would be just like the talk around Wentz's 2017.

You only have to be here for more than a minute to remember the nasty old board battles over McNabb's performances, the TO debacle, Vick, Kolb, Wentz/Foles, etc.  The McNabb thing went for years and years non-stop.  The only "quiet" period was from Wentz's selection through the injury, then straight back to the gutter.  

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

And the thing about that is that it would look like a fluke, because he hasn't shown anything close to that level of consistency yet.  It would be just like the talk around Wentz's 2017.

You only have to be here for more than a minute to remember the nasty old board battles over McNabb's performances, the TO debacle, Vick, Kolb, Wentz/Foles, etc.  The McNabb thing went for years and years non-stop.  The only "quiet" period was from Wentz's selection through the injury, then straight back to the gutter.  

Even before the board was around, the racist hateful things people spewed about Cunningham when he took over as the starting QB over Jaws. He had shown nothing special in the first few games he had played and it took a couple of years before he exploded on the scene, but people were steadfast in their positions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

This is the "risky" comment that  I was referring to.  The 2023 will ALMOST CERTAINLY be Hurts or a 2023 draft pick.  Really?!  I can't imagine that the QB will fall into those categories.   I was just commenting on the deep thought process there.  

I will keep a look out from those who say there is a QB controversy right now, because there isn't one.  We are stuck with Hurts. but that won't stop speculation that there could be one down the line (and that's fair).  Right now, I think it's your (and a few others) insecurities with alternative theories on the QB that drives your feelings.  "Hate" is normal here with that position and has been for years.   Your "new fan" designation is showing.

Lol - I'm not a new fan as you full well know. 

I've been on the board for years and I haven't seen anything quite like the Hurts hate and complete conviction from a lot of posters that he can't play. 

Personally, I'm open minded. I think he's probably not the guy down the line, but want to see whether he can make improvements, particularly with the weapons he has this year. 

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Even before the board was around, the racist hateful things people spewed about Cunningham when he took over as the starting QB over Jaws. He had shown nothing special in the first few games he had played and it took a couple of years before he exploded on the scene, but people were steadfast in their positions.

100% agree on Cunningham.  As I said earlier, this situation with Hurts is not more absurd or toxic than any other QB that has played for this team.  

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol - I'm not a new fan as you full well know. 

I've been on the board for years and I haven't seen anything quite like the Hurts hate and complete conviction from a lot of posters that he can't play. 

Personally, I'm open minded. I think he's probably not the guy down the line, but want to see whether he can make improvements, particularly with the weapons he has this year. 

I don't "full well" know anything about your fandom, but you sure seem to be making this situation out about Hurts to be unusual for this team (or board).  It isn't and that leads me to believe that you didn't experience the other eras that I referenced (or Cunningham which is before the board).  It has been worse before.

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

100% agree on Cunningham.  As I said earlier, this situation with Hurts is not more absurd or toxic than any other QB that has played for this team.  

I agree as well. I wish we all could have a kumbaya moment with a starting QB. We got close with Wentz.

• Like 1