The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

7 hours ago, CouchKing said:

I'll play the long game on this one. We'll see on both Hurts and Strong.

If Hurts can play well, we have a shot at making a run in the playoffs.

If Hurts doesn't improve, it's just a matter of time for when he gets replaced.

I wouldn't invest in a #1 Hurts jersey.

It doesn't look like he's a keeper.

Expanded league, best teams are in AFC, NFCE isn't that good

I don't think getting 7th seed is that difficult

9 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

There was report about signing Perry, but he is not listed on the team website as an UDFA signing.  Is he with the team or not?

Signed with the Jags.  This was announced on Monday.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, CouchKing said:

Hurts Huggers Eagles fans are always upset when there is another QB on the roster.

fyp.

There are ALWAYS QB debates in Philly.  There's a reason for the old saying "the most popular athlete in Philadelphia is the backup QB."  Wentz washers, Hurts huggers, Vick lovers.  It's been decades of these stupid factions and silly nicknames.  There were debates on Randall vs Jaws, McNabb vs Kolb/Garcia/Feeley/Vick, there are even some fans that argued Sanchez should start at one point.

There will always be QB dates.  Always.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Should we switch the Nasty Nate Award to the Carson Strong Award now or should we wait till after Strong shows why he wasn’t drafted and the Hurts Hate Squad realizes that he’s the starting quarterback no matter how much they cry about it? 

We need to hold off on crowing the Nasty Nate winner early. It appears that one undrafted Britain Covey is firmly in the running. 

I think we should extend Minshew now.

More money. More years.

Something like $3mil per year for 3 years, including this year.

Tradeable commodity.

Or keep him to backup Carson Strong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CouchKing said:

I think we should extend Minshew now.

More money. More years.

Something like $3mil per year for 3 years, including this year.

Tradeable commodity.

Or keep him to backup Carson Strong.

He may end up wanting to move on and start somewhere

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He may end up wanting to move on and start somewhere

Ironically the Eagles might be his best shot to actually start if it was an actual competition 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Ironically the Eagles might be his best shot to actually start if it was an actual competition 

Exactly. Minshew should be starting by week 7.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Exactly. Minshew should be starting by week 7.

Exactly! For the Bears. 

Take the time for Strong to get healthy and ready to play by middle of the season.  Siri is high on him and he could be the QB of the future.  Hurts has to show marked improvement to hold on to his position.  Any regression or injury, he will be heading to the bench. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Penn7980 said:

Take the time for Strong to get healthy and ready to play by middle of the season.  Siri is high on him and he could be the QB of the future.  Hurts has to show marked improvement to hold on to his position.  Any regression or injury, he will be heading to the bench. 

He really doesn't need to play at all this year.  Just sit back and watch, get 100% healthy, learn the playbook, and give the Eagles a 3rd option to consider at the end of the season.  He has to really earn it as a UDFA, but luckily he has a below average starter in front of him.  That should be motivating enough.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Exactly. Minshew should be starting by week 1.

Fixed.

• Like 5

Alabama didn't do Hurts any favors in terms of coaching him up. Sadly, Alabama has had some good QB coaches since he left. Sarkisian did a good job with Tua and Mac Jones. Bill O'Brien has got Bryce Young poised to be a consensus #1 pick. (47td 7ints 4800yds Heisman as a Softmore)

On 5/6/2022 at 9:34 PM, Talonblood said:

Hurts is boasting that this is HIS TEAM, yet he has done NOTHING to earn that boast. You can't say that a team is yours unless you play great. I hate talkers. He needs to shut up and let his play do the talking. He has not earned the right to say it's his team. It's more like Kelce's team. If he rises up this year and takes ahold of that mantle- great. But stfu until your play proves it.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, Vileborg said:

"I was asking what it took and he said we are solid right now. I respect that and I am going to do everything I can to put myself in that position at some point.” - Minshew

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-gardner-minshew-explains-asking-nick-sirianni-about-starting-job

I remember this burning me quite a bit because he promotes competition but then shuns it when it occurs?

On 5/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, pgcd3 said:

I don't have much hope for that.  I think this best bet for improvement is just knowing the offense better in year 2.  Might make some better reads which could help a little

On competition, QB tends to play out a bit different. There are very few actual competitions. Teams like to have a starter. Simple fact is that teams, including the Eagles, view Minshew as having a limited upside. I know people love Strong on this board, but if there was a reasonable chance he could emerge as a top 10/franchise QB, there is no way he goes undrafted. There are QBs who had worse years than Hurts last year who will be the unquestioned starter heading into 2022.

On boasting that it's his team. I don't see it as a boast. He's the QB in 2022 and Siri, Roseman and Lurie have at least publicly made that clear. Hurts made it clear that it was an opportunity, so he knows he is not guaranteed anything long term. It was in response to questions regarding the Eagles exploring other options. A QB needs to exude confidence, so I'm not sure what you wanted him to say.

On improvement, I agree. The best hope for Hurts is that he knows the offense better and makes some better reads in his second year in the system. AJ Brown will be a big help as well. He's got a great opportunity here with the surrounding talent. If he doesn't take it, it's a great situation for whatever QB we get for 2023. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

He really doesn't need to play at all this year. 

He doesnt but i'd like to see him at some point this season if Hurts is still struggling as a passer. Strong had the surgery in February of 2021 and it was said to have a 12 month recovery time. It's already been over a year and by the time mid-season rolls around, he'll be 20+ months removed from the surgery. If we start the season 2-5 like last year, It'd be nice to get a 10 game sample of Strong against NFL defenses before we go all in on the 2023 QB class. I know he wont see the field unless Hurts gets injured, but im just not a fan of the rest of the offense suffering through Hurts passing deficiencies when i think there are clearly two better passers on the roster. 

15 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

He doesnt but i'd like to see him at some point this season if Hurts is still struggling as a passer. Strong had the surgery in February of 2021 and it was said to have a 12 month recovery time. It's already been over a year and by the time mid-season rolls around, he'll be 20+ months removed from the surgery. If we start the season 2-5 like last year, It'd be nice to get a 10 game sample of Strong against NFL defenses before we go all in on the 2023 QB class. I know he wont see the field unless Hurts gets injured, but im just not a fan of the rest of the offense suffering through Hurts passing deficiencies when i think there are clearly two better passers on the roster. 

You are wanting Howie to admit Hurts is "struggling" and make a big decision that reflects poorly on him mid season.  Howie is too cocky to admit that failure.  We have to wait for himto recognize the "8 or 9 win, quick playoff exit" ceiling of Hurts and he will move to another QB.  Barring injury, we are stuck with Fool's Gold this season.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, pgcd3 said:

I would be beyond surprised if that happened.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, Vileborg said:

(47td 7ints 4800yds Heisman as a Softmore)

We're all gonna just keep on responding and pretend we didn't see this?

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are wanting Howie to admit Hurts is "struggling" and make a big decision that reflects poorly on him mid season.  Howie is too cocky to admit that failure.  We have to wait for himto recognize the "8 or 9 win, quick playoff exit" ceiling of Hurts and he will move to another QB.  Barring injury, we are stuck with Fool's Gold this season.

I'm actually worried we slip into the playoffs again because of the expanded playoffs while making a quick exit and this idiot gives him a new contract

13 hours ago, Vee said:

We're all gonna just keep on responding and pretend we didn't see this?

It's way too early. I mean this time last year Kenny Pickett wasn't on most radars. Carson Strong was a consensus top 15 pick. Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell were the consensus #1/2 QBs. Right now he isn't even the consensus #1, quite a few have CJ Stroud (QB, The OSU) going first.

There are also some interesting anecdotes coming out about Young that I don't know how to process. In early April, he entered the transfer portal blaming the reputation of QBs coming out of Alabama for Tua and Mac Jones not going higher in the draft. Now they're saying he is planning to stay.

3 hours ago, Vileborg said:

It's way too early. I mean this time last year Kenny Pickett wasn't on most radars. Carson Strong was a consensus top 15 pick. Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell were the consensus #1/2 QBs. Right now he isn't even the consensus #1, quite a few have CJ Stroud (QB, The OSU) going first.

There are also some interesting anecdotes coming out about Young that I don't know how to process. In early April, he entered the transfer portal blaming the reputation of QBs coming out of Alabama for Tua and Mac Jones not going higher in the draft. Now they're saying he is planning to stay.

So, it’s too early to pin your 2023 hopes on one particular QB prospect. Gotta see how they develop.

And, probably too soon to trade up for one. Gotta see what the draft order is.

I’ll stick with Carson Strong. I’ll bet a beer that he’s the long term QB.

When is the payoff date, around 3 years from now? Who will remember such a wager?

4 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Alabama Football: Bryce Young enters the Transfer Portal (bamahammer.com)

Is this what you are talking about?  If so, it was an April Fools Day gag. 

• Haha 1

I'm hoping Carson Strong takes the # 2 QB Job. There is a lot to like about him. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:35 PM, KDUB1510 said:

Yeah Strong playing last year against Doctor's advice is why he went undrafted, when you slash your recovery time because you want to be a standup guy for your team mates, you tend to extend the overall recovery time or even do further damage, which is why the knee needing cleaning out before last season and needle drainage of swelling throughout the season, the Eagles aren't going to let him get out there for his team mates.

People need to pump the brakes on the Carson 2 era, his chances of becoming a starter at all are a long shot, but he's been given that shot because if he could get healthy he was good enough for a mid round pick as a developmental guy who could with luck and a fair wind have an NFL career, but he's a UDFA for a reason, his chances of seeing the field next year are between none and no, really none.

• Like 3