The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

17 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah Strong playing last year against Doctor's advice is why he went undrafted, when you slash your recovery time because you want to be a standup guy for your team mates, you tend to extend the overall recovery time or even do further damage, which is why the knee needing cleaning out before last season and needle drainage of swelling throughout the season, the Eagles aren't going to let him get out there for his team mates.

People need to pump the brakes on the Carson 2 era, his chances of becoming a starter at all are a long shot, but he's been given that shot because if he could get healthy he was good enough for a mid round pick as a developmental guy who could with luck and a fair wind have an NFL career, but he's a UDFA for a reason, his chances of seeing the field next year are between none and no, really none.

I liked Carson Strong coming out of the draft, and I can agree that there is a lot more wait and see needed lol he has good tools, but won't just come in, take jobs and become a top 15 guy. He needs to make the roster first and make Gardner expendable first 

7 hours ago, Vileborg said:

It's way too early. I mean this time last year Kenny Pickett wasn't on most radars. Carson Strong was a consensus top 15 pick. Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell were the consensus #1/2 QBs. Right now he isn't even the consensus #1, quite a few have CJ Stroud (QB, The OSU) going first.

There are also some interesting anecdotes coming out about Young that I don't know how to process. In early April, he entered the transfer portal blaming the reputation of QBs coming out of Alabama for Tua and Mac Jones not going higher in the draft. Now they're saying he is planning to stay.

I was talking about "softmore"?

33 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

People need to pump the brakes on the Carson 2 era, his chances of becoming a starter at all are a long shot, but he's been given that shot because if he could get healthy he was good enough for a mid round pick as a developmental guy who could with luck and a fair wind have an NFL career, but he's a UDFA for a reason, his chances of seeing the field next year are between none and no, really none.

He was lucky enough to be drafted by one of the few teams who could offer a realistic opportunity.

51 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah Strong playing last year against Doctor's advice is why he went undrafted, when you slash your recovery time because you want to be a standup guy for your team mates, you tend to extend the overall recovery time or even do further damage, which is why the knee needing cleaning out before last season and needle drainage of swelling throughout the season, the Eagles aren't going to let him get out there for his team mates.

The docs told him there was no further damage that could be done by playing on it, just that he'd deal with alot of swelling and discomfort. I dont know why you guys wish to control how other fans want to fan. If i want to be excited about Carson Strong, let me be excited about Carson Strong. I acknowledged that he wont play this year barring injury to Hurts so i dont need you or anyone else to tell me that. And for the record, i think he has a much better chance at becoming a starter than many in this fanbase are giving him but like i've said before, let's let it play out instead of difinitively saying what will or wont happen. He's an UDFA because the NFL is a copy cat league and teams dont want strictly pocket passers anymore, especially not one's with knee issues. Had he shown a similar level of mobility as Pickett/Corral before the surgery, some team would've taken a shot on him. If Strong never starts a game for the Eagles, ill delete my account. This tweet went viral after the Chiefs-bills playoff game. 20220504_182112.thumb.jpg.f4bd15911b05944f9f2205abecc52b38.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

20220504_182112.thumb.jpg.f4bd15911b05944f9f2205abecc52b38.jpg

The NFL is truly getting enamored with the "dual threat" QB.....ignoring the fact that pocket passers are the ones who win super bowls.  Year after year we hear about teams wanting QBs who are dual threats and year after year a pocket passer who has good pocket sense dominate the playoffs and win the super bowl.

When a QB puts as much emphasis on running as he does passing, it may seem more exciting but it's easier to shut down a running QB than a well developed passer.  If a QB gets happy feet after 2 looks, it may be highlighting that he's not going thru his progressions fast enough....or he's not seeing the field the way he needs to.  

If the eagles are going to be true contenders, Hurts MUST develop more as a passer....especially with reads and progressions and using his mobility to buy more time behind the line and find the open receiver.

I like Minshew, but because of his draft status and that he not a "dual threat",  he probably will never get a real shot at starting anywhere, although I think the eagles are a perfect situation for him.  Good line, good RBs, good TEs and young and developing WR corps. 

Strong has the powerful arm and quick release that could overcome most of his mobility issues as long as he develops reading defenses and finding the open receiver.

I think the eagles go into the season with Hurts, Minshew and Strong.....unless some team overpays for Minshew.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

The NFL is truly getting enamored with the "dual threat" QB.....ignoring the fact that pocket passers are the ones who win super bowls.  Year after year we hear about teams wanting QBs who are dual threats and year after year a pocket passer who has good pocket sense dominate the playoffs and win the super bowl.

Agreed 1000%. I posted this in the Strong thread awhile ago

20220510_121435.thumb.jpg.d028c0c08dae3bf056cdbcc20a397bd2.jpg

39 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Strong has the powerful arm and quick release that could overcome most of his mobility issues as long as he develops reading defenses and finding the open receiver.

Sirianni coached and speaks glowingly about Philip Rivers. Strong is the closest thing to Rivers that Sirianni is going to find these days. Old man Rivers put up over 4100 yards & 24 TD's + won 11 games and made the playoffs with a rookie Michael Pittman, the corpse of T.Y. Hilton and Zach Pascal in 2020. Sirianni isnt used to run first QB's that panic in clean pockets and dont play within structure. That's why we saw interactions like this multiple times last season.20220503_103225.thumb.jpg.8ec3bf56ec044b7229b2739290e06912.jpg

Regardless of his UDFA status, Strong is a gifted passer and much more in the mold of the QB's Sirianni has coached and acquired. We have the Oline to mask his lack of mobility and the perfect compliment of weapons for his skillset. I'd also like to point out that Shane Steichen grew up about 30 minutes from where Strong grew up and also played college football in Nevada. All im saying is never say never. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

We have the Oline to mask his lack of mobility and the perfect compliment of weapons for his skillset.

And his mobility will improve with more recovery time.  

Go to the 1:08 mark of this video, pre injury, looks plenty mobile to me, and all reports I have read said he will recover 100%.

37 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Go to the 1:08 mark of this video, pre injury, looks plenty mobile to me, and all reports I have read said he will recover 100%.

Honestly, I dont understand why Strong went undrafted. There has to be something we are missing/dont know??  

I feel like we will find out if he can play or not at this level. 

17 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Honestly, I dont understand why Strong went undrafted. There has to be something we are missing/dont know??  

Because he was visibly physically limited on film, teams are averse to risk.

The question is not whether he will ever be capable. It is more about whether a team will hitch their wagon to a QB with a health risk.

They don't want to be the GM that takes the risk of drafting him.

And then takes the risk of starting him.

And then takes the risk of extending him to a big money contract.

Let someone else take that risk.

If they draft him, he may fail entirely or may put them in a position to fail later.

Or, he wins the SuperBowl !!!

4 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Because he was visibly physically limited on film, teams are averse to risk.

The question is not whether he will ever be capable. It is more about whether a team will hitch their wagon to a QB with a health risk.

They don't want to be the GM that takes the risk of drafting him.

And then takes the risk of starting him.

And then takes the risk of extending him to a big money contract.

Let someone else take that risk.

If they draft him, he may fail entirely or may put them in a position to fail later.

and yet we drafted Hurts in the 2nd? , when:

He was clearly limited as a passer, limited in reading defenses, and going through progressions, and was "benched" in the Championship game? 

So Howie took that risk? 

Nah... there has to be something else to it. Like he might not be that coachable, or his medical was worse than everyone is admitting to etc...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I believe his mobility will improve as well. Strong is actually a decent athlete when healthy. If the last surgery he had was truly the one that puts this all behind him, we have an absolute steal. I dont care how much Hurts works or what WR's you get him, he will never be able to rip it like this kid can when healthy. Just like Strong will never be able to run the ball like Hurts can no matter how hard he works. I know it sounds crazy to talk this way about an UDFA but im telling you, we get this kid healthy behind this Oline and we will be one of the best passing offenses in the NFL in a year or two. It's been almost two weeks and im still in disbelief that no one thought this guy was worth even a 7th round pick. How could no team take a shot on a guy with his size, production and arm talent. I could watch him throw the ball all day. 

He didnt miss a game last year and shed the knee brace months ago. His coaches & teammates rave about his leadership, likeability, toughness & football intelligence. I will never understand but im happy he's an eagle. I think we offer the best situation for him to succeed. Dominant Oline + plethora of weapons + uncertainty at QB= opportunity for a rocket armed pocket passer like Strong to beat the odds.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Give me a statue with a monster body and a monster arm over a mobile QB every day of the week. 

Best part is that Strong isn't a statue.  He has good NFL mobility, so you get the best of everything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah actual lol at all the board commentators who think 32 teams all missed that Strong is a top 10 NFL QB waiting to happen once he has a bit of time to recover from his knee surgeries. 

I hope he does turn out to be great, but the realistic upside is a high end back-up next year.

• Haha 1

No debate here.  Fool's Gold is our starting QB in 2022. Minshew is the backup.  The battle starts at #3.  Hopefully, Strong can snatch that as a rookie and start the climb.  Its not like there's tons of talent in front of him.  

12 hours ago, downundermike said:

That kid is going to be freaking good. I said for months he was someone I wanted them to get and can't believe it actually happened. QB freaking 1.

14 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Well there were rumors that the second surgery to put cadaver cartilage in his knee also included a bone graft from his hip, which ups the ante in terms of long term prognosis, the knee issue he has / had Osteochondritis Dissecans can be exacerbated by repetitive motions / stresses, one of the main symptoms is swelling after physical exertion and he needed needle drainage on his knee a few times last season, it's probably a sign of the absolute hooey about this years QB draft class that he was ever talked about as a first rounder because he has significant medical red flags for a multi million dollar business.

I imagine the first year will be a couple of pre season games to measure against Stinnett for QB3 and intensive monitoring of how his knee reacts to those games and hard practise, if the swelling continues into this season then it would suggest the issue is chronic rather than needing time and it's hard to see then how any team could commit to a long term deal as a QB, they'd be taking a massive financial risk.

18 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

and yet we drafted Hurts in the 2nd? , when:

He was clearly limited as a passer, limited in reading defenses, and going through progressions, and was "benched" in the Championship game? 

So Howie took that risk? 

Nah... there has to be something else to it. Like he might not be that coachable, or his medical was worse than everyone is admitting to etc...

This year's Quarterback class certainly wasn't one of the best in recent memory but I wonder if it was as bad as advertised. Sometimes 'conventional wisdom'  feeds on itself. We'll find out soon enough.

If Hurts is so bad and Carson "who?” Strong is so great, he should have the starting job going into week 1, right? Otherwise Sirianni is a moron, right? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ridiculous, won’t even be QB2

48 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

This year's Quarterback class certainly wasn't one of the best in recent memory but I wonder if it was as bad as advertised. Sometimes 'conventional wisdom'  feeds on itself. We'll find out soon enough.

Even conventional wisdom feeding on itself didn't have Willis and Corral sliding to Round 3. For sure it might underestimate the odd player but cases of it undervaluing a whole class are common as hen's teeth, they're way more likely to overrate a class. How many of what 50 QB's outside the first round since 2015 are absolutely unquestioned starters?  1?  We have Hurts but most of the board don't think he's worth a toot on a tin whistle.

Wilson, Cousins and Dak are the only recent instances of the scouts not knowing their ass from their elbow in terms of potential starting QB's. 

13 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

If Hurts is so bad and Carson "who?” Strong is so great, he should have the starting job going into week 1, right? Otherwise Sirianni is a moron, right? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ridiculous, won’t even be QB2

Unless minshew is traded, he will be qb3 with two younger vets ahead of him.  I mean the starter is only on his third rookie year so we have to show some patience amirite?

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:20 PM, downundermike said:

Nice punt at the end too

They should lock up Carson Strong on multi-year deal with starter / performance escalators.

Too much of a risk to lose him.

Just now, CouchKing said:

They should lock up Carson Strong on multi-year deal with starter / performance escalators.

Too much of a risk to lose him.

If he performs in training camp, and gets a multi year deal before the season starts, the S******s are gonna get really nervous.

31 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If he performs in training camp, and gets a multi year deal before the season starts, the S******s are gonna get really nervous.

The Steelers? The Speoplewhodon'tknowhowUDFAcontractsworks?