The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

The Eagles seem to be full scale allergic to any QB competition. The seem to want to go either go with Hurts or completely replace him.  They are totally avoiding making him earn the job in competition against Mishew & others

11 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

The Eagles seem to be full scale allergic to any QB competition. The seem to want to go either go with Hurts or completely replace him.  They are totally avoiding making him earn the job in competition against Mishew & others

Anything like an open competition wouldn't look good for Howie or the debacle he created drafting him in the first place. Just have to deal with it this year.   

Anyway, he has too much swag to compete.  Who needs talent?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

What makes you think they aren't evaluating him everyday? Maybe the "competition" isn't near as close to them as it is to you. It probably helps to have access to every practice and an entire staff whose best interest is to be successful at their jobs. I realize they probably don't have as much free time to spend listening to WIP hosts and callers and reading the EMB blog thread, though. It's troublesome that this tremendous resource is being left untapped. 

• Like 2

I would like the QBs on the roster all to be able to do the running that Hurts does.  It doesn't seem to be the case.  Oh well, many teams don't have perfect backups.    RGIII at the draft event, something about Rich Eisen, ran a 4.48 a week or a month ago.   He could fit.  He was sufficient for the Ravens backing up Lamar. 

5 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

I would like the QBs on the roster all to be able to do the running that Hurts does.  It doesn't seem to be the case.  Oh well, many teams don't have perfect backups.    RGIII at the draft event, something about Rich Eisen, ran a 4.48 a week or a month ago.   He could fit.  He was sufficient for the Ravens backing up Lamar. 

RG3 won’t be an Eagle. What you see is what you get. 

Should we switch the Nasty Nate Award to the Carson Strong Award now or should we wait till after Strong shows why he wasn’t drafted and the Hurts Hate Squad realizes that he’s the starting quarterback no matter how much they cry about it? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

They had little kids working the stopwatches. Rod Woodson and Eric Metcalf ran 5.81. All I'm saying is I don't know what anybody really ran at that event. It wasn't exactly precise.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Should we switch the Nasty Nate Award to the Carson Strong Award now or should we wait till after Strong shows why he wasn’t drafted and the Hurts Hate Squad realizes that he’s the starting quarterback no matter how much they cry about it? 

I'll play the long game on this one. We'll see on both Hurts and Strong.

If Hurts can play well, we have a shot at making a run in the playoffs.

If Hurts doesn't improve, it's just a matter of time for when he gets replaced.

I wouldn't invest in a #1 Hurts jersey.

It doesn't look like he's a keeper.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Oh yes your logic makes so much sense. The Eagles are reportedly willing to replace Hurts with a better QB by trading at least 3 first round picks but are unwilling to replace Hurts with a better QB for free. 

8 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I'll play the long game on this one. We'll see on both Hurts and Strong.

If Hurts can play well, we have a shot at making a run in the playoffs.

If Hurts doesn't improve, it's just a matter of time for when he gets replaced.

I wouldn't invest in a #1 Hurts jersey.

It doesn't look like he's a keeper.

I’m going to tell you fellas this now and I hope you truly listen (and start preparing yourselves). The threshold that Hurts has to cross to get that long term contract next year is significantly lower than you think. So much so that I would be very surprised if he doesn’t get it.

However, I think there is a difference between him getting that long term contract and he being the unquestioned QB of the team.

16 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Oh yes your logic makes so much sense. The Eagles are reportedly willing to replace Hurts with a better QB by trading at least 3 first round picks but are unwilling to replace Hurts with a better QB for free. 

Sirriani literally told Minshew there was nothing he could do to get the starting job. This isn't hard. They don't want Hurts to compete or he'd probably lose the competition.  They just don't feel the upside of anyone on the team is high enough yet

53 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Sirriani literally told Minshew there was nothing he could do to get the starting job. This isn't hard. They don't want Hurts to compete or he'd probably lose the competition.  They just don't feel the upside of anyone on the team is high enough yet

That’s still nonsensical right? If Russell Wilson was on this team, do you think Nick would have fed Russ that same language? If those are precisely the words Nick said to Minshew, that seems like a polite way of saying you suck.

In any event, the competition is happening whether or not Nick affirms it: it’s the nature of this business. Minshew was just not good enough. If Minshew is better than Hurts this summer, he’s going to start. That’s how the NFL works.

As I stated, if they are willing to bankrupt the team’s future rookie asset base to get a QB, they would obviously take a better QB for free.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

That's nuts. You got a link for that?

"I was asking what it took and he said we are solid right now. I respect that and I am going to do everything I can to put myself in that position at some point.” - Minshew

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-gardner-minshew-explains-asking-nick-sirianni-about-starting-job

I remember this burning me quite a bit because he promotes competition but then shuns it when it occurs?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Thrive said:

That’s still nonsensical right? If Russell Wilson was on this team, do you think Nick would have fed Russ that same language? If those are precisely the words Nick said to Minshew, that seems like a polite way of saying you suck.

In any event, the competition is happening whether or not Nick affirms it: it’s the nature of this business. Minshew was just not good enough. If Minshew is better than Hurts this summer, he’s going to start. That’s how the NFL works.

As I stated, if they are willing to bankrupt the team’s future rookie asset base to get a QB, they would obviously take a better QB for free.

If another Qb doesn't get any first team reps it is very unlikely that he can pass Hurts. Hurts would have to look awful and the other QB would have to look great.  It's not a true competition

20 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

If another Qb doesn't get any first team reps it is very unlikely that he can pass Hurts. Hurts would have to look awful and the other QB would have to look great.  It's not a true competition

Preseason stats don't count for performance evaluation. It's just a tryout for the marginal players. It's contrived or partial competition at best, a scrimmage.

I expect the Eagles to open the season with Jalen Hurts. They will evaluate his performance versus real competition in season, not preseason.

Does it matter what the backup QBs do against 3rd string defenders in preseason? Not really.

My hope is that Jalen has been focusing solely on his mechanics. Mechanics control accuracy and it's hard to scheme around accuracy. Everything else can be masked to some extent by scheme.

Hopefully, he's been getting 1000's of reps in with the right mechanics. There are about 600 muscles in the human body and they are not predisposed to throwing a football correctly. The 1000's of reps will build up the necessary muscles to help generate more power and torque into his throws. Unless you've spent months practicing Muy Thai, you don't have the muscle mass to flip your hips and generate shattering power in your leg kicks. Same principle with generating torque on throws. The stronger your waist and hips get from snapping your hips to generate power the more power and torque you can generate and the more zip and spin you can generate on a ball. Not only do you need muscle memory but you need to build the muscles themselves. So hopefully it's been his main focus this off-season.

29 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

My hope is that Jalen has been focusing solely on his mechanics. Mechanics control accuracy and it's hard to scheme around accuracy. Everything else can be masked to some extent by scheme.

Hopefully, he's been getting 1000's of reps in with the right mechanics. There are about 600 muscles in the human body and they are not predisposed to throwing a football correctly. The 1000's of reps will build up the necessary muscles to help generate more power and torque into his throws. Unless you've spent months practicing Muy Thai, you don't have the muscle mass to flip your hips and generate shattering power in your leg kicks. Same principle with generating torque on throws. The stronger your waist and hips get from snapping your hips to generate power the more power and torque you can generate and the more zip and spin you can generate on a ball. Not only do you need muscle memory but you need to build the muscles themselves. So hopefully it's been his main focus this off-season.

I don't have much hope for that.  I think this best bet for improvement is just knowing the offense better in year 2.  Might make some better reads which could help a little

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

I don't have much hope for that.  I think this best bet for improvement is just knowing the offense better in year 2.  Might make some better reads which could help a little

He’ll be fine. No need to be so negative. I’m convinced he has/will make big strides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Hurts said himself that he has not been working on/changing his throwing motion, I believe.

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Hurts said himself that he has not been working on/changing his throwing motion, I believe.

He said he is working on improving his footwork, but not changing his throwing motion.

27 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He said he is working on improving his footwork, but not changing his throwing motion.

Seems like the right idea. Improving footwork goes a long way.

Hurts is boasting that this is HIS TEAM, yet he has done NOTHING to earn that boast. You can't say that a team is yours unless you play great. I hate talkers. He needs to shut up and let his play do the talking. He has not earned the right to say it's his team. It's more like Kelce's team. If he rises up this year and takes ahold of that mantle- great. But stfu until your play proves it.

• Like 2

There was report about signing Perry, but he is not listed on the team website as an UDFA signing.  Is he with the team or not?