EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

A lot of classroom stuff is probably done through downloads onto their pads.

As far as reps, they probably do more hands on fundamentals, and less contact work. A lot of fundamentals is teaching, the player doing his reps on his own, checking in to be sure he's doing it right, rinse and repeat. I mean look at Jurgen's great footwork shadowing a cow. 😄

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Wanting to limit wear and tear on players' bodies is certainly understandable and wise. Limiting classroom/study time? Are they afraid of strained or torn neurons? They claim to be  professionals after all.

Wear and tear?  These days are non-contact and likely just helmets and shells.

3 hours ago, BigEFly said:

When rookies report early, it equates to about three practices and pretty much the fundamentals.  We would be talking five draft choices and some UDFAs, including Strong.  Not sure I see that as a huge loss of opportunity. 

Every rep for a young player matters.  

4 hours ago, justrelax said:

Clearly this coaching staff knows far less than we do.

P.S. Doug did the same thing and he's doing it with the Jaguars too.

Bill Belichick has the best "way of doing things" out of any coach in NFL history.  And over the years, he's done a lot of stupid stuff that didn't work out.  It's not the right thing just because the Eagles coaching staff does it this way.  

Although, I do not really care for dissecting this sort of minutiae from afar.  When there is a trend that the team isn't ready to play in September or they aren't developing talent, then the coaching staff will be held accountable for that (especially because the GM sure won't).  Any coaching staff has a mandate to do things their way, as they should.  It's a changing world, sport, and league.  Minicamps, camp, and practices are not going to be the same.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They played and looked like a team who wasn’t prepared during a large portion of the first half of the season.  They just happened to catch the Falcons by surprise.  Once the script ran out the whole team looked soft and unprepared.  

But pillars like JR and BigEDoof can’t help but blow the FO and coaching staff.  

OTA’s, the NFL allows 13 practices and the Eagles used 6, not even half, yet there’s AJ Brown on Twitter trying to get some type of practice in with Hurts.  Dude is guaranteed how much money?.., and even he knows the more reps he gets with Hurts, the better they’ll be. 
 I’m hoping this has nothing to do with injuries, because they have gone up since the early 2000’s around the league and that’s when teams actually did practice, in the offseason. 
 Strong and Sinnett  both need as many reps as possible, they’re likely to get a ton of work in preseason games with the 2’s and 3’s and there’s no reason why they couldn’t have had at least 4 more OTA practices with WR’s, TE’s, and RB’s, etc..,  7 on 7’s just to get some timing down. 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And another one.  

If there’s one thing that can be trusted, it’s young millionaires doing homework at home on their iPad. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Of course it’s to prevent injuries.  Why else would the front office do it?  

JFC.  For a pillar you sure are dense.  

It might be a good plan except for 2020 when Covid hit and practice time was cut way down, yet the Eagles had the 4th most lost games due to injury.   
 2022 NFL TC schedule, 21 out of 32 teams are having the rookies come in 3 days to a week ahead of the Veterans, not the Eagles though, they prioritize developing young players.     

8 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

It might be a good plan except for 2020 when Covid hit and practice time was cut way down, yet the Eagles had the 4th most lost games due to injury.   
 2022 NFL TC schedule, 21 out of 32 teams are having the rookies come in 3 days to a week ahead of the Veterans, not the Eagles though, they prioritize developing young players.     

It’s really pathetic how bad the Eagles were in 2020. Unless I’m mistaken, the other 3 teams had new coaches so they had new systems to learn. The Eagles were going into year 5 of Peterson and Wentz. Wentz was just so god awful 

23 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

It’s really pathetic how bad the Eagles were in 2020. Unless I’m mistaken, the other 3 teams had new coaches so they had new systems to learn. The Eagles were going into year 5 of Peterson and Wentz. Wentz was just so god awful 

There were weeks he had Kelce at C and 9 backups/practice squad players on the field with him.  It’s been discussed ad nauseum why he was so bad.  He was also physically incapable of performing the way he did his first two seasons because of the toll of injuries.  

The on-field performance was a result of poor coaching, poor game planning, and man games lost due to injury.  The personnel was never bad enough to bottom-out as a 4-win team — 2021 proved that.

The epidemic of injuries from 2017-2020 had a lot to do with the strength and conditioning coaches, and quite a bit to do with a poor culture.  Guys simply did not go out there and play hurt.  Desean Jackson for one was quite content to get paid while sitting out.  I suspect there were quite a few others as well.

16 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Just finished 6 Underground, maybe the first bad review I’d give a movie in years.

It’s like they asked Michael Bay to try and make a movie without a writer and just go nuts

That's what I expected from the preview, so I enjoyed it for what it was

12 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Wear and tear?  These days are non-contact and likely just helmets and shells.

Right. So why limit those days? As someone else pointed out the Eagles are not even using the days they're allotted. If the starters don't play much in preseason, the first couple regular season games can be a little 'ragged'.

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

If there’s one thing that can be trusted, it’s young millionaires doing homework at home on their iPad. 

Especially those who developed impeccable study habits in college.

🤣

16 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Right. So why limit those days? As someone else pointed out the Eagles are not even using the days they're allotted. If the starters don't play much in preseason, the first couple regular season games can be a little 'ragged'.

Yup.  But what do we know?  We are too stoopid to have an opinion.  We have to just nod along and hope for the best.

12 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Every rep for a young player matters.  

Don't worry, they get those reps in OTA's and mandatory mini camps...oh wait. 

I'm seeing some reporting that Kamara will be given a suspension of "at least 6 games".  His next court hearing isn't until August, so it's unclear when the NFL would announce a suspension.

19 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I'm seeing some reporting that Kamara will be given a suspension of "at least 6 games".  His next court hearing isn't until August, so it's unclear when the NFL would announce a suspension.

Guess it should be after the hearing? Selfishly, it would be good for him to miss as many as possible. Battery can lead to jail time, so it's open.

14 minutes ago, RLC said:

Guess it should be after the hearing? Selfishly, it would be good for him to miss as many as possible. Battery can lead to jail time, so it's open.

They aren't going to announce anything before the whole legal process is completely settled. I don't think just a hearing changes everything. The important question is whether or not the NFL decided to put him on the Commissioner Exempt List while the legal process plays out. 

The "at least 6 games" also isn't new. It's the NFL personnel conduct policy. If they are determined guilty of criminal assault or battery, the baseline suspension for first offense is 6 games. 

40 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They aren't going to announce anything before the whole legal process is completely settled. I don't think just a hearing changes everything. The important question is whether or not the NFL decided to put him on the Commissioner Exempt List while the legal process plays out. 

The "at least 6 games" also isn't new. It's the NFL personnel conduct policy. If they are determined guilty of criminal assault or battery, the baseline suspension for first offense is 6 games. 

I hope you're right. Full year suspension with pay works. 

17 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I was merely talking about the insane growth and traffic.   Not the actual size.  Should have made that clear.  Obviously Cary was much bigger then.  

I think Raleigh is worse for traffic than Charlotte now.  

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Don't worry, they get those reps in OTA's and mandatory mini camps...oh wait. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The way people drive and the trash on the side of the road.  It’s insane.  We’re not staying.  

I always thought the popularity of NASCAR in the state drove the number of people who tailgate.  

11 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

This is the worst time of the year

Wanna talk about abortions?

34 minutes ago, RLC said:

I hope you're right. Full year suspension with pay works. 

How do I get a years vacation with full pay?

Archived