EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Happy to see positive early returns on the draft picks.

Davis, Jurgens, and Dean all looked not only like they belong, but will be impact players sooner that later.

Been a while since we've seen that from our first 3 picks in their first year on the team... first 4 picks if you count Brown.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

This is a pretty good example of not ubderstanding what you are looking at. 

It starts with the third down play. The Jets were in man, which Hurts diagnoses and immediately discards the Goedert/Brown pattern to focus on the man beater route, which is Reagor, who butchers it. So Hurts takes off. 

On this play, they are in zone, so Hurts knows either Goedert or Brown will have a favorable matchup. He sees it's Goedert, and throws with anticipation to a spot. Goedert knows where the ball will be, and makes an easy catch. 

If you lead him on the play, you lead him right into the coverage you avoided when the corner stayed with Brown. 

Pretty basic stuff. 

It was really nice play design.  A 3-level flood to the left. 

My issue is that by floating the ball a bit, he allowed the CB, who was shallow covering Sanders in the flat, to drop back and become part of the play.  A crisper ball would have made life easier for Goedert.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Did you even read my post?  It's not about perfection, it's about growth and moving on from bad habits.  If Hurts is the same QB as he was last year in terms of habits then that's a bad thing.  I gave Hurts the credit where it's due.  I liked some things I saw but at the same time, even the results were good there were things I didn't like.  

Both of his "bad" plays resulted in serious contact for himself and Goedert.  Both could have been avoided if on one play he steps in to the pocket and makes a throw and on the TD, uses better form and gets Goedert a better ball.  Watch the Goedert TD again.  All he has to do is throw the ball to the pylon and Goedert walks in to the endzone untouched.  

Again, I think Hurts played well but he isn't immune from criticism. 

I don't think that's the design of the route.   I'll take the throw to Goedert in that situation 10 out of 10 times.  

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Covey has torn ligaments in his fingers.  So, that is likely not an option.  Huntley as a returner?  Nah.  Just throw Scott back there... again.  No need to waste a spot for Huntley.  He goes to the PS and we hope to never need him.

I don't necessarily disagree, but his heavy involvement last night makes me think they have plans for him. For better or worse. Plus they seemed to target a number of return guys this year making me think they're trying to upgrade.

I'd be mildly surprised if we didn't see one of those 2 guys on the 53 is all I'm saying. 

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

This is a pretty good example of not ubderstanding what you are looking at. 

It starts with the third down play. The Jets were in man, which Hurts diagnoses and immediately discards the Goedert/Brown pattern to focus on the man beater route, which is Reagor, who butchers it. So Hurts takes off. 

On this play, they are in zone, so Hurts knows either Goedert or Brown will have a favorable matchup. He sees it's Goedert, and throws with anticipation to a spot. Goedert knows where the ball will be, and makes an easy catch. 

If you lead him on the play, you lead him right into the coverage you avoided when the corner stayed with Brown. 

Pretty basic stuff. 

The coverage was underneath on Goedert and you had 2 DB drifting towards Brown in the EZ.  You can see the one closest slips because he's going the opposite direction, eliminating him as a threat.  He had 2 open spots to throw to.  The one he chose, or the pylon.  

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

It was really nice play design.  A 3-level flood to the left. 

My issue is that by floating the ball a bit, he allowed the CB, who was shallow covering Sanders in the flat, to drop back and become part of the play.  A crisper ball would have made life easier for Goedert.

Not his forte.

3 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but his heavy involvement last night makes me think they have plans for him. For better or worse. Plus they seemed to target a number of return guys this year making me think they're trying to upgrade.

I'd be mildly surprised if we didn't see one of those 2 guys on the 53 is all I'm saying. 

Makes me think they were either showcasing him, or just protecting others from injury.  Mostly, I think it was about working the backup OL on the zone blocking.  That's hard to work on in practice, especially with the limited reps the backups get.  So, having them work on double team blocks and coordinating together was important.  And I think they trust Huntley more than Brooks right now.  But, I don't see Huntley's participation as being more than just shortening the game while getting reps for the OL.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The coverage was underneath on Goedert and you had 2 DB drifting towards Brown in the EZ.  You can see the one closest slips because he's going the opposite direction, eliminating him as a threat.  He had 2 open spots to throw to.  The one he chose, or the pylon.  

Does Goedert know that? Is he expecting the ball in two different spots because a defender he doesn't see fell down? 

10 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Maybe.

More like when one parent gets into a fight with another in the stands at a little league game when his kid gets hit by a pitch. 

Could be that too... or he didn't know which guy it was and just yelled out the coach's name because he knew that one.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Could be that too... or he didn't know which guy it was and just yelled out the coach's name because he knew that one.

In all seriousness...he's mad at Saleh for not schooling his players on the protocols for a pre-season game.

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

In all seriousness...he's mad at Saleh for not schooling his players on the protocols for a pre-season game.

I don't know that Saleh didn't.   I do know that when a QB runs... they leave themselves far more vulnerable to these times of shots, and that's why I am so adamant about wanting to see Hurts work much more extensively from the pocket.  Defenders in the past have let up near the sideline, only to have the QB plant his foot and turn upfield and steal a few more yards.  That sticks with defensive players.

19 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Reddick is a SAM.

I was thinking of this when I made the list, but Reddick played all night at the LOS. Even if he's a 3-4 OLB, he'll be rushing a lot.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

I was thinking of this when I made the list, but Reddick played all night at the LOS. Even if he's a 3-4 OLB, he'll be rushing a lot.

Yeah, I see Reddick being used almost exclusively at the LOS as much more of an 'edge' player than a true SAM.

27 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Reddick is a SAM.  

th?id=OIP.DULXjTK_G6GYnTmED3gNCQHaHS&pid=Api&P=0

Any further discussion of the Goedert TD should happen after anyone engaging in the discussion watches this video, which is effectively the all 22 angle. 

Hurts releases the ball when Goedert is crossing the 10. Goedert knows where the ball is going to be. Leading him to the pylon is likely an incompletion. Where it is thrown is where and how it is supposed to be thrown. Any corner covering Goedert has to win a jump ball with him while making up 10+ yards versus 5 for Goedert, since he catches the ball at the 5.

As far as firing it in, I don't see how that makes an easy pitch and catch easier. The ball is thrown before Goedert is out of his break. Do you want him throwing that pass hard? Earlier there was a comment about Sinnett only having one gear to his throws. This is a pretty good example of when some touch is needed. 

3 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Stay humble Jalen.  This is why he rubs some the wrong way.  Sure, he has the work ethic and good teammate thing down to a T but this REEKS of Cam Newton.

GETTIN F R E A K Y!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, downundermike said:

5F352B51-A29F-4CFA-A749-1C2112BBA587.jpeg

C937DEFB-06ED-4F84-9EF5-C03BCC18761B.jpeg

Pretty close.

I thought Hurts looked pretty good last night. More poised, on time accurate throws underneath, looked smooth and in control. First pass of the game to Quez was a very good throw on the run, much better than he was capable of last year. TD to Goedert probably could have been thrown sliiightly earlier, but the placement was right based on the defense.

Loved the rookies. We didn't get a chance to see what Davis can do as a pure pass rusher so his speed for his size wasn't on display, but he was a problem as a NT as expected. Nakobe Dean looked the part. He's little, but packs a punch. Good tackler. Jurgens looked like a seasoned vet.

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah, I see Reddick being used almost exclusively at the LOS as much more of an 'edge' player than a true SAM.

Reddick barely played last night but Patrick Johnson (henceforth PJ) dropped into coverage, usually zone, more than once and Kyron Johnson (henceforth KJ) may have dropped in coverage.  Hard to tell because at times KJ looked a bit lost.  Most times he lined up on the end, I even think KJ played some DE.  PJ looks natural getting his hand in the dirt.  KJ does not.  KJ is a bit too upright.  PJ seems to have more bend.  Now PJ got too deep a couple times and lost contain but KJ got blocked and lost contain too.  

Current wild card standings.  If the season ended now, the Cardinal would host the Padres and the Braves would host the Phils.  All three games in the host stadium. 

Important for the Phillies chase down the Braves.

image.png.60db8a6941563769a103b6bc697fc0d4.png

34 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Any further discussion of the Goedert TD should happen after anyone engaging in the discussion watches this video, which is effectively the all 22 angle. 

This is where the play should have gone, Goedert clears the defender covering Brown, the safety is irrelevant, and is hit by the circled defender as he has to stop his route.

image.png.385869e8dd7c32e8019d747248aafc03.png

The star in this picture is where Goedert would have been if he kept running the route, instead of having to stop to catch this pass, and would have walked in untouched.

image.png.1883f54af97c8088104789d7e596355c.png

Random question… as a football fan, do you like it when certain franchises that you’ve gotten used to being good almost every year continue to be competitive every year? Or do you prefer parity and seeing new teams jump up and take the mantle?

For example, if when Aaron Rodgers hangs them up, if the Packers go a long stretch sucking and not making the playoffs, would you miss seeing them competitive because they’re a historic franchise, or would you welcome say the Lions becoming good and taking over as the team of the NFC north because it’s different?

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Did you even read my post?  It's not about perfection, it's about growth and moving on from bad habits.  If Hurts is the same QB as he was last year in terms of habits then that's a bad thing.  I gave Hurts the credit where it's due.  I liked some things I saw but at the same time, even the results were good there were things I didn't like.  

Both of his "bad" plays resulted in serious contact for himself and Goedert.  Both could have been avoided if on one play he steps in to the pocket and makes a throw and on the TD, uses better form and gets Goedert a better ball.  Watch the Goedert TD again.  All he has to do is throw the ball to the pylon and Goedert walks in to the endzone untouched.  

Again, I think Hurts played well but he isn't immune from criticism. 

It's going to be a very long season for people like you.  

Archived