EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Last year the colts had a bunch of injuries and he played ok for a while. But it’s a good point by kempski that the colts could use a starting LT and dillard is definitely an upgrade over pryor. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Mailata vs Hutchinson is going to be one of they key battles in week 1.  

Shut up. 

11 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Nice strawman. Try again troll 

Imagine getting so triggered by someone talking about one of the interesting key matchups for week 1.  

18 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Last year the colts had a bunch of injuries and he played ok for a while. But it’s a good point by kempski that the colts could use a starting LT and dillard is definitely an upgrade over prior. 

Ballard's butthole is still sore from dealing with Howie last year, don't think he's ready for Act 2 in that regard.

Rewatching the game now

hurts is nothing impressive. The ol has serious ability. May be out best group of receivers in a long time

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Imagine getting so triggered by someone talking about one of the interesting key matchups for week 1.  

Imagine someone so insecure about the starter that he only posts positive news about him, negative news about Minshew, positive news about Sinnett, and negativity news all around about Strong.  Everyone on this board wants Hurts to succeed and for the Eagles to succeed. We just don’t believe he has the ability to do it so we post about it on a message board. You’re honestly pathetic. I guess I took the bait.  

21 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would only be in for trading Dillard for a 2nd or better.  This is a contending team and he provides a lot of security if Mailata has to miss any time like he has every other season.  When they let him walk in the offseason they will likely be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him anyway.  

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Imagine someone so insecure about the starter that he only posts positive news about him, negative news about Minshew, positive news about Sinnett, and negativity news all around about Strong.  Everyone on this board wants Hurts to succeed and for the Eagles to succeed. We just don’t believe he has the ability to do it so we post about it on a message board. You’re honestly pathetic. I guess I took the bait.  

t1HUEmaB7y.gif

The post you are currently getting upset about didn't have anything at all to do with Hurts or Minshew or Sinnett or Strong.  It was literally:

35 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Scary to think how **** that field is going to be come December when the Eagles play there.  

5 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Rewatching the game now

hurts is nothing impressive. The ol has serious ability. May be out best group of receivers in a long time

I'm watching it right now as well.  I thought he was fine. He moved the ball and got them in the end zone.  That's all you can ask for.  At the same time, they're playing the Jets and it's preseason so it means basically nothing.  

I don't think he's ever going to be a pocket passer, go thru progressions, have good mechanics, etc.  His game is what it is.  

3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

We are not a contender until we find a qb

Wait until he throws an incomplete pass before jumping off the bridge over Hurts.  

2 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

I brought up Tyler in February. Could've been a really nice fit here. RB is the new LB here it seems. 

I mean around the league RB has been devalued and I'm not sure the eagles devalue RB to the extent they used to LB or any more so than the rest of the league, just seems they bring in one type of RB every year, small, fast, can catch but none of them are guys that are going to push a pile or pick up tough yards.

Algiere is a tough runner , he's a physical runner, on his 15 yard scamper in last game he gets hit in the whole but stiff arms that LB to the ground and bursts through for 15 yards after contact 

Most eagles rbs are going down in first contact.

Plus algiere is a real physical pass blocker and he was a pretty good receiver out of the backfield in college as well.

Seemed like a good fit to me but guess eagles didn't think so.

Was listening to some preseason games while running errands today.  Colts radio analyst thinks Ehlinger has a good chance to beat out Nick Foles for the backup QB job; thinks he’s had a really good camp and good leadership skills.  He went 10/11 today.  Somewhat interesting that, only judging by radio play-by-play analysis, Matt Ryan had the worst game of the three.  Still don’t think Ryan gives the Colts what they’re hoping this season.

Chiefs had a similar preseason opener to the Eagles; their starters and 2nd team guys gave them the first half lead, then their scrubs lost it in the 2nd half.

Wentz went 10/13 for WASH today.  Funny when their beat guys said he wasn’t hitting the broad side of a barn in camp.  Maybe Wentz was right when he told that d-bag interviewer "it’s camp”

3 hours ago, wussbasket said:

Im still a bit worried about our RB depth. I think they’ll sign Jordan Howard after week 1, but if Sanders goes down there isn’t much help behind him.

Boston Scott ain't bad, while most fans are impressed with Gainwell I don't see what the hype is about, as far as Huntley goes, after yesterdays performance more than likely he's gonna be flipping burgers.  Hopefully Kennedy Brooks will get a least two quarters next week.

14 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Boston Scott ain't bad, while most fans are impressed with Gainwell I don't see what the hype is about, as far as Huntley goes, after yesterdays performance more than likely he's gonna be flipping burgers.  Hopefully Kennedy Brooks will get a least two quarters next week.

I was big on Huntley after watching him a bit in college, last night though he didn't show much 

He's fast when he gets out in open space on a straight line but his stop and go and  vision is sketchy and he's not going to push a pile or make any one miss.

I was impressed with Brookes, he showed pretty good vision through and around the hole and showed good lateral balance and agility.

I'd give him bulk of carries and maybe the new guy next week.

Still would keep an eye out on the waiver wire, that's where they got Huntley, hopefully they keep their eyes out for a guy that weighs more than 200 pounds.

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

hopefully they keep their eyes out for a guy that weighs more than 200 pounds.

Right!!

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The starting left tackle vs the high draft pick DE.

1B6F7979-0DFD-446F-AAF6-C68B30F5D45B.gif

7 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Hurts is under the microscope and for good reason.  We want and need him to improve from last year.  From a statistical standpoint, he had a great game.  He showed some positive things last night.

The 3rd down run, while it ended up gaining a 1st down via penalty was a result of Hurts doing what Hurts does.  Bail out of a clean pocket.  That is one of the biggest issues a lot of us have with him and why we think he will never take that next step.  It's the same thing he's doing in practice.  You want to see him climb the pocket and then if there is a running lane or no one is open use his legs as a weapon, not drop back and immediately dash out of the pocket to the right.  

Opeta got blown up on the 1st play and Hurts had no choice but to roll right.  He kept eyes downfield and hit Watkins.  Great.

Play 2, designed drop off to Sanders?  He didn't look downfield once so I'm assuming so.  Stood strong in pocket.  Good.

Play 3, drop back, bang, hit Stoll right away.  Best play IMO.  Decisive, over the middle.  Encouraging.

Play 4,  drop back, clean pocket, Watkins wide open on a crosser.  Good play.  Better if Watkins runs up field. 

Play 5,  3rd down scramble as noted before.  Resulted in a 1st down great but not what you want to see in terms of growth.

Play 6, screen to Sanders.  Hard to mess up.

Play 7, called back TD run by Hurts.  This is the kind of scrambling we want from Hurts.  Protection was a mess, lane opened up and he took it.

Play 8, TD pass to Goedert.  If we want to nitpick, his form throwing this ball was terrible. Clean pocket to step in to but he doesn't step in to it he throws off his back foot like he was trying to put too much touch on the pass.  If he steps and drives the ball he could have hit Goedert over the shoulder for an easy run in to the endzone. Instead, off balance pass made Goedert stop his route, come back and then heavy contact in for the TD.  Again, nitpicking but after working with a QB coach all summer, you'd like to see Hurts step in and drive a throw when he has a clean pocket rather than drifting off balance for no reason.

Overall it was a solid performance for Hurts.  However, the areas he was supposed to be working on to improve didn't show that he really has.  Still bailing from pocket when unneeded and off balance, drifting throw instead of stepping up.  Those were areas that you want to see him change and last night he didn't.

@bpac55, I disagree. I looked at it similarly to Dan.

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

You’re an amazing troll. I’ve gotta give you that.  If not I’m genuinely scared for the future of the human race. 

That’s rich coming from the guy that never posts anything of substance ever.

Just stupid insults all day.

But glad you of all people have concerns.

6 hours ago, jsb235 said:

This is a great example of not understanding the basics. The defense has three deep zone defenders, and four intermediate ones. 

One of the deep zone defenders slips after the ball is released, and the reaction is, throw it deep, it's wide open! 

So the correct thing to do is assume the defender will slip every time? Or do you look for the soft spot in the zone? Goedert isn't expecting the ball on the pylon. He has no idea the deep defender slipped. He is expecting the ball between the intermediate and deep zones. 

At this point, i have to wonder why i even need to explain this. This is pretty basic football. 

6 hours ago, RLC said:

Goedert didn't even run a corner route on that reception. He sat in zone coverage.

6 hours ago, schuy7 said:

That pass concept is specifically targeting a cover 3 look from the defense, which the Jets love (Eagles knew they would be in this defense), and the Eagles get exactly what they want. The corner in the deep zone doesn't peel off AJ Brown nearly quick enough. Hurts' ball placement is good here, because he's expecting the CB to peel off so you're trying to get Goedert the ball there underneath that zone.

You're really trying to find something that isn't there. You can just admit that Hurts did well last night. It's okay.

Thank you. Sometimes in all of the absurdities of the blog, it’s good to read from folks who know the game.

Then there are others who are convinced they know what they’re watching but have absolutely no clue. They tend to be the loudest around here.

29 minutes ago, Infam said:

That’s rich coming from the guy that never posts anything of substance ever.

Just stupid insults all day.

But glad you of all people have concerns.

I bet you could whip him

Archived