EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Redskins still have an injury prone Wentz playing in the 2nd quarter.  Bold move. 

Stop being racist.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurts played well, but can’t say much about the jets in preseason. Fingers crossed he can do this in the regular season against better teams. 

It’s almost as if they want to lose so they can say hey I told you Hurts sucks. Hurts Derangement Syndrome 

I don't read much into starters in pre-season games.

Backups yes, b/c you want to see inexperienced players make a lot of progress by the 3rd exhibition game (and 4 scrimmages as well). If they don't, they're probably a year or forever away.

Starters don't care, they're working on things with coaches, they're not wearing their game day faces.  Pre-season for them is just getting the feel of football back.

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

In all seriousness...he's mad at Saleh for not schooling his players on the protocols for a pre-season game.

He's mad because that was about a cheap a shot as you'll see, hit late out of bounds, led with the helmet and threw an elbow to boot.

To make it worse, it was a pre-season game shot at the starting QB.

The fact that Saleh didn't immediately bench him and tear him a new a-hole tells me he's a classless piece of crap.

Football is a violent game, but given what we know about brain damage, there is no place for head shots - and the league should suspend the player for at least a game.

Guest justrelax
1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Been a while since we've seen that from our first 3 picks in their first year on the team... first 4 picks if you count Brown.

Yeah, all the way back to 2021. Smith, Dickerson, Williams. 4 and 5 were McPhearson and Gainwell. #6 was Tuipulotu.

Just sayin'.

My man Tyler Allgier RB for BYU Atlanta falcons 5th round pick had a pretty good rookie debut last night.

3 rushes for 25 yards and a physical block on Ridders game winning TD throw.

I would have loved seeing Allgier in midnight green, he was a physical RB in college as he was a LB switched to RB.

https://kslsports.com/490780/tyler-allgeier-nfl-atlanta-falcons-debut-block-preseason/

2 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yeah, all the way back to 2021. Smith, Dickerson, Williams. 4 and 5 were McPhearson and Gainwell. #6 was Tuipulotu.

Just sayin'.

Tuipulotu still looks like trash.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

He's mad because that was about a cheap a shot as you'll see, hit late out of bounds, led with the helmet and threw an elbow to boot.

To make it worse, it was a pre-season game shot at the starting QB.

The fact that Saleh didn't immediately bench him and tear him a new a-hole tells me he's a classless piece of crap.

Football is a violent game, but given what we know about brain damage, there is no place for head shots - and the league should suspend the player for at least a game.

Please get the facts straight.  He hit him with his shoulder to the shoulder.  Yes, it was out of bounds.  Yes, it was late.  It was not leading with the helmet.  It was a shoulder shot to the shoulder.  It was not a head shot.

3 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Just sayin'.

Touché.

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

Don't agree.

I thought he looked the same as last year, just got pushed around in the run game all game.

Reports out of camp were that he looked better but I didn't see anything last night that would suggest so.

Just now, justrelax said:

Didn't mean to be ****y. Howie has nailed the last two drafts big time.

Nah.  You were right.  I have higher hopes for this trio though.  Seems to me that the future for Davis, Jurgens and Dean might be future Pro Bowlers/All Pros.  On the other side, Smith looks like a guy that will be a plus starter.  Dickerson could have that level of upside.  And Williams looks to be a very nice rotational DE/DT.   If the last draft was a B+/A-, this one might be a A++.    And I am one of Howie's harshest critics when it comes to the draft.

35 minutes ago, Utebird said:

If anything maybe Sanders could have cut his route shorter instead of carrying on down field to create better spacing.🤷‍♂️

If I were to nitpick a TD pass I’d say the defender came off Sanders early because he read where Hurts was going with the throw, and a throw with more zip on it would have likely made it an uncontested catch and run for TD

But I try not to nitpick TD passes 😂

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Please get the facts straight.  He hit him with his shoulder to the shoulder.  Yes, it was out of bounds.  Yes, it was late.  It was not leading with the helmet.  It was a shoulder shot to the shoulder.  It was not a head shot.

This happened in the bears/chiefs game. Why if i were a coach I’d not want any of my QBs running in a preseason game. It’s not worth it for a meaningless preseason game. i actually give credit to vrabel for doing what he did and sending a message to malik that the preseason is the time to throw it and even make mistakes to learn from it. I’ve seen enough unnecessary hits or injuries by QBs taking off an running in meaningless preseason game. I get there’s an instinctual part of taking off when in trouble but in the preseason it just really isn’t worth the risk  

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Just sayin'.

People laughed at me when I said Howie is at his best in "rebuilding" mode.

Howie learns from his mistakes, I don't think you'll see him try to keep the window open again like he did after the SB, he learned the futility of hoping a player will rebound and the need to protect cap room.

Their drafting is far more focused on BPA the last couple years. Combine that with an extra 1st and 2nd rd pick the next two years.

You can also see the value of a development oriented coaching staff, guys are making jumps, Taylor, McPhearson, Epps, etc. Not just Stoutland's boys.

Howie's also more disciplined in free agency, the mistake GMs make in all sports is to go into free agency and panic, you should determine your reservation price (based on the expectation of the player's value) before free agency starts and stick to it. Howie missed on a number of players when he refused to try and outbid other teams - and that's good - because it means he's maintaining discipline.

Now the question is whether they can maintain that discipline in the draft, free agency and contract negotiations as they become more competitive - there is always the temptation that one move could put you over the top - but there's so much luck involved (injuries, pointed balls bounce funny, etc) that you need to focus on a three year period, that is, maximize your odds of success over an extended period instead of pushing all your chips into the middle of the table.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This happened in the bears/chiefs game. Why if i were a coach I’d not want any of my QBs running in a preseason game. It’s not worth it for a meaningless preseason game. i actually give credit to vrabel for doing what he did and sending a message to malik that the preseason is the time to throw it and even make mistakes to learn from it. I’ve seen more unnecessary hits or injuries by QBs taking off an running in meaningless preseason game. I get there’s an instinctual part of taking off when in trouble but in the preseason it just really isn’t worth the risk  

I agree with that.  Its why I don't want my QB running even in the regular season.  No protections.  And frankly, the protections don't really matter when it comes to the hits after the fact.  But players are far more likely to be 'controlled' when attacking the QB in the pocket, meanwhile, when the QB is running... it's blood in the water for sharks.

I think people only read what they want to read rather than what's actually being said.  

I did a very small breakdown of every Hurts snap and gave him credit for having a very good game. 

What I was focusing on were 2 parts of his game that everyone knows must better this year to consider Hurts a better QB than last year.  Bailing from a clean pocket and QB mechanics.

Late hit play- He scrambles from a perfect pocket after looking at maybe his first read and rolls right unnecessarily.  What we hope to see in terms of growth from Jalen Hurts is that he steps up in to a perfect pocket his line has created and goes through his reads.  If no one is open, use your "freaky" skills and run the ball.   However, Hurts, not even 4 plays deep in to the game goes back to his habit of rolling out.  To me, that shows no growth and an unbroken habit.  

On every completion to Stoll, Watkins 2nd catch and the TD to Goedert he's throwing while on his toes or doing a mini hop.  He isn't setting a firm base to throw from.  This all goes towards the QB coaching he had over the summer.

Here are all of Hurts snaps from last night.  

Again, you want to see growth from a player and improvements from trouble areas from last year.  It was a small sample, but Hurts, while he looked good, showed me that he hasn't changed his habits or fixed areas of his game that need it the most to take the next step as a top 10-12 QB. 

Here are Drew Brees highlights.  Using him as an example because he's roughly the same stature as Hurts.  Watch how he plants and drives the ball.

12 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He hit with both, the helmet was helmet high and grazed Hurts helmet, and it wasn't an attempt to tackle him (i.e. didn't realize he was out of bounds) or knock him out of bounds, it was an attempt to hurt him - the angle was such it would have driven him in bounds. He hit him with the shoulder in the chest then elbowed him in the head. You can see Hurts' head snap back.

I can accept a late hit that's "bang bang," this was done with malicious intent.

14 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Don't agree.

Marlin T sure seems to struggle anchoring and letting the IOL get under his pads.  I thought Wren anchored better although he doesn’t move out of the phone booth area much. I just don’t see Marlin T at NT.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

He hit with both, the helmet was helmet high and grazed Hurts helmet, and it wasn't an attempt to tackle him (i.e. didn't realize he was out of bounds) or knock him out of bounds, it was an attempt to hurt him - the angle was such it would have driven him in bounds. He hit him with the shoulder in the chest then elbowed him in the head. You can see Hurts' head snap back.

I can accept a late hit that's "bang bang," this was done with malicious intent.

He hit him late no doubt about it.  He hit him hard.  But it wasn't a head shot.  It's impossible to know what his intent was.  His angle would not have driven him back in bounds.  That's just not true either.

Other than on Aaron Donald, I don't think you see much triple blocks.

Davis is a real one.

Archived