EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

The NFL really just let us have the two best players on arguably the greatest college defense ever...

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Doesn’t bother me at all.  I didn’t see the game but 6/6 for 80 yards and a TD pass is what every team should hope for from their starting QB in a preseason game.  I was at first encouraged that he didn’t have any runs on his stat line, but he had a TD run negated by penalty and another run he got drilled on for a penalty, so I’m not quite as encouraged with 2 runs against 6 passes.  A huge part of his development will be to eliminate the excessive running and to win with his arm, while augmenting with his legs.

We’ll see if he can get there.

The TD run was a thing of beauty. He stepped up, had his eyes downfield, and saw a wide open path to the end zone. Even better, it was to the left side. 

The rtp play was pooptastic. Lane had his guy pushed so far upfield that Hurts had to run back five yards to get around him. Which gave him no time to do anything but run for his life. 

His best pass came on the first play, which was also a play where he bailed and rolled right, but Opeta got blown up, so he had no option. And it happened so fast the edge defender hadn't been pushed upfield yet. So he was able to keep his eyes downfield and throw a dart. 

It was encouraging that he completed two passes over the middle, and the TD was thrown to his left. He also took advantage of a blown coverage to find Goedert standing all by himself. 

He wasn't Tom Brady out there, but I think he was okay. And considering we were down three starters and the plays were pretty basic, it was probably as good as things get. Obviously the Jets didn't gameplan for him either, but the throws were largely on time and accurate. So a lot of good, but far from perfect. 

Game was too late for me (2am start) but I just watched the 1st drives and then skimmed thru the rest.

My favorite moment by far was watching Mailata come over and make a statement after the dirty hit on Hurts.  That's exactly what you want.  That plus the Sirianni reaction.

8 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Any guesses on how the post game handshake goes after Sirianni was spazzing on Saleh after the hit on Hurts? 

I’m guessing it goes like any other handshake that takes place after a game where a late hit was called at some point. A coach gets heated in the moment, and by the end of the game, they’re over it. 

That wasn’t your first time seeing a late hit, right?

Hurts was good but footwork needs work and he has stay in the pocket more.  Did all that was asked of him unfussily - that hit on him was dirty for a regular season game; not for a pre-season one.  Something he will be susceptible if takes off running too much though.

Jurgens passes the first eye test. Good for Deon Cain to get playing time after that injury. The play from White was shocking; I don't recall an Eagles LB doing that for a long time. The Safety position is going to be a challenge this season.  I like the focus on going for it on 4th down; right mindset in pre-season.  Davis is going to be a fun player to watch.

Looks like Zach Wilson has a PCL and maybe an ACL injury, but almost a nonsense way to get injured.

I realised who Ross Tucker sounds like. Joe from Family Guy.

16 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

I noticed that about Reid last night. Dude doesn't know how to put any touch on the ball. Everything was a bullet including a short drop off pass like that one to Covey should have been. A few times he had a open player if he did a nice touch pass over the LB but wouldn;t pull the trigger. It;s almost like he can only throw a line drive bullet. 

8 hours ago, Thrive said:

Fascinating.

It that is true then shame on Hurts. If he reads his progressions it shouldt matter who he throws to. Pick the guy who will be open. It does not matter whos name is on the back of the jersey. 

9 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

No doubt they'll ask Nick why he didn't let Strong play

It actually makes sense. The way the 3rd/4th string offensive line was playing, Strong would be a sitting duck back there. I wanted to see what he had but just had a feeling the way the Jets were getting through we would have seen him on the ground or on the cart. 

21 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

It that is true then shame on Hurts. If he reads his progressions it shouldt matter who he throws to. Pick the guy who will be open. It does not matter whos name is on the back of the jersey. 

I think Brown was joking. And he appeared to be the first read on the Goedert TD, but was doubled. 

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

QB -- This might bother some, and I'm sure it'll thrill some, but basically Jalen Hurts was excellent.

It was the Jets.

Also, it was the Jets, in the preseason.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It was the Jets.

Also, it was the Jets, in the preseason.

Exactly

It's preseason

It's the Jets

Everyone should not get hyped or down at this point. You can't get a good judgement on Hurts until at least a 3rd of the season is in the books. I'd say more half the season though.

12 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Huntley looks like Pumphrey. Bad. So weak.

Scouting on the running backs has been questionable the past few years. Huntley never looked that good yet the guy is still here going into his 3rd year. Pretty bad. Seems like one of the easier positions to find guys but not a good job by this team in that dept. Torrey being yet another example of all that. 

8 hours ago, schuy7 said:

Kick coverage was poor all night, that was a little concerning.

How much can you even practice special teams when practice is under an hour?  I doubt there are that many ST periods where they can get rep after rep of running full speed, staying in lanes and such. 

This was nice to see. We already knew Dean is instinctual as hell but size was obviously the question. Also clearly shows the havoc Davis can cause up front. Every gap is affected by his presence 

Hurts looked good last night. Let’s see if he can consistently play that way. He’s had good stretches before (1st half against Denver last year) but he’s never been able to put together consistently good play. We’ll see.

Jordan Davis looks like he’ll be a game wrecker. 

27 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Scouting on the running backs has been questionable the past few years. Huntley never looked that good yet the guy is still here going into his 3rd year. Pretty bad. Seems like one of the easier positions to find guys but not a good job by this team in that dept. Torrey being yet another example of all that. 

Another gripe of mine when filling out the RB room.  Like you said, Huntley has been here for 3 years, has sniffed regular season action and he is what he is.  Clearly, he isn't and NFL contributor but a PS player who you might call up in an emergency.  Seeing as IMO, the Eagles RB room is one of the worst in the league, I don't see any team claiming Huntley and even if they do, it would probably be just for the pre-season.  Bring in different players rather than the same old.

The Philly beat loves to talk about his speed in practice but I can't remember a game where I kept saying why give it to him again like I was last night.  I was over Jason Huntley by the 2nd quarter and there was no reason to see him the entire game.

Archived