Playstation 5

opengeo

51 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That's seems insane for just 2TB

I think the biggest thing is the read/write speed to match the processor in the PS5. So the standard NVME that our laptops and other every day stuff would use probably have 1TB that can be found on sale for like $65 several times a year. I know I bought one for my new laptop earlier this year 

42 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I think the biggest thing is the read/write speed to match the processor in the PS5. So the standard NVME that our laptops and other every day stuff would use probably have 1TB that can be found on sale for like $65 several times a year. I know I bought one for my new laptop earlier this year 

Doesn't have to be an SSD too? Aren't they more? Maybe I didn't understand what I read

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

How long does it normally take you to transfer games from external to internal and vice versa?

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Doesn't have to be an SSD too? Aren't they more? Maybe I didn't understand what I read

The internal "SSD" on the PS5 is a M.2 style chip that is not removable. Here was one of the snippets from back when they were doing breakdowns of the consoles:

The SSD is also soldered directly onto the motherboard, with its chips surrounding the custom SSD controller module, which allows for the fast 5.5GB/s raw transfer speeds.

Below are the general specs, so while the primary Hard Drive can't be replaced, using the NVMe slot for expandable storage you still need to meet those 5.5GB/s speeds, and that's been the bottle neck since very few components on the market (presently) are designed that fast/powerful. 

image.png.999d5cf9b1a6fa8b55121be99d85639c.png

11 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

How long does it normally take you to transfer games from external to internal and vice versa?

You can now store PS5 installs onto an external drive (just can't play the PS5 title off the external). My guess is transfer time was 5-10 mins, but I have a HDD external with the spinning disk so those have limited transfer rates. I have a 1TB 3.5" SSD in a laptop I have since abandoned. I have bought (months and month ago) a "cradle" that would allow me to use that SDD as an external drive. I just need to take the time to google how to wipe/reformat it it, then remove it from the laptop and install in that cradle. That I might use to externally store PS5 games.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:44 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Did you play that prisims update? I watched a trailer and I thought it was just like a cut scene and then holy Eff! It was the actual game play! I'm really impressed with them sticking it out with this game and even making sure they were ready with the PS5 version

Don’t know the individual updates by name but I’m playing it through now. Done main story already and now building my next colossal base. 

3 hours ago, opengeo said:

Don’t know the individual updates by name but I’m playing it through now. Done main story already and now building my next colossal base. 

I did end up downloading the PS5 version and playing some. Had a hard time putting the controller down. Just the cut down on load times makes all these games better. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been having battery issues with the controller? It was great for awhile now it doesn't stay charged for more then a couple of hours

I haven’t done any real gaming since first half of June but back then I was easily logging 5-6 hours at a time. But I’m white privilege and have 4 controllers so I just throw one on the dock and grab another if I ever get a battery notification and don’t think twice about it 

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I haven’t done any real gaming since first half of June but back then I was easily logging 5-6 hours at a time. But I’m white privilege and have 4 controllers so I just throw one on the dock and grab another if I ever get a battery notification and don’t think twice about it 

I looked at a charging station and another controller but, I kept talking myself of not needing it. Me thinks I do now

14 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I looked at a charging station and another controller but, I kept talking myself of not needing it. Me thinks I do now

I just got two of these and they are simple and provide storage so it’s a convenient dual purpose accessory 

DFE7548F-F07C-49C4-99C9-000F5D22EB9B.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, Agent23 said:

I just got two of these and they are simple and provide storage so it’s a convenient dual purpose accessory 

DFE7548F-F07C-49C4-99C9-000F5D22EB9B.png

I got this day 1 and it’s worked perfectly ever since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, even tho I really haven’t touched my PS5 since early June (finished Days Gone the start of that month then only played FFF7 integrade over the weekend it launched), I’m planning on buying and adding a 2TB SSD to my console. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, Agent23 said:

So, even tho I really haven’t touched my PS5 since early June (finished Days Gone the start of that month then only played FFF7 integrade over the weekend it launched), I’m planning on buying and adding a 2TB SSD to my console. 

Which brand do you intend to go with?

7 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/seagate-2tb-firecuda-530-ssd-with-heatsink-for-playstation-5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw47Hprqp8wIVkgsrCh2C7gekEAQYAiABEgKA4PD_BwE

They are releasing these. The price is insane, it's $90 more than the console....

5 hours ago, Mat said:

Phew!  Me likey, but not enough to justify that price.  I’ll wait for the price to (hopefully) come down in time.

45 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

Phew!  Me likey, but not enough to justify that price.  I’ll wait for the price to (hopefully) come down in time.

I'll just keep deleting games as I finish them lol. They are nuts. As they find more that are compatible it should come down as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

WD

8BD0B7C3-6F2D-42ED-8EFE-8722F5000694.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

PET THA KITTY!!!

He loves them! I return home tomorrow (in Phoenix for work trip) and my heat sink I think delivered yesterday, so by mid-weekend at the latest I should have this bad boy ready to go and installed.