Playstation 5

opengeo

On 6/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, Agent23 said:

lazy peeps don't want to deal with disks. PS5 will become my 4k disc player allowing me to offload my trashbox oneS that never gets used. Also, so many times DISC games are $19.99 or something similar on sale and  the SAME game on PS Store still like $39.99 or $59.99. Digital should ALWAYS be equal or LESSER in price to disc version, yet the exact opposite happens 99/100 times. Disc for life!!!

also xbox has a digital only version of the XBO for the poors who needed a less pricey console. 

About mid PS3 I started doing strictly digital.  My problem was I'll end up trading a game in if I dont play it and not get much in return.  Sometimes i even ended up buying the game again cuz I wanted to play.  So I just started buying all games digital.  No need to go to the store, buy it right there, download it and play.  It's always there for you if you want to come back to it years later.

I do agree about pricing though.  Unless its something I want at release, I'll wait till it drops in price digitally.  They almost always go on sale not long after initial release.  But for example they had NBA 2k14 and 15 at Gamestop for like $3 or $4 each just a couple years ago.  If you wanted to buy it digitally on PS store, they were $59.99 each.  The game was 3 or 4 years old, the online servers weren't even up and running and yet they charged you $59.99 for them games still.  Didnt make sense.

I don't have a 4k player so I'll likely get the regular one. I've been just streaming or downloading 4k movies and it takes up a lot of space

On 6/12/2020 at 11:06 PM, Machine said:

If you still buy game discs, you old af

Glad to know you made the jump to the new board. I haven't seen you in awhile. Hope all is well

On 6/13/2020 at 1:06 PM, Machine said:

If you still buy game discs, you old af

I buy discs because I like having hard copies of stuff. I also prefer to pay $10 for a game compared to $70 sometimes so that's a plus.

I also find it funny that everyone was ripping on Microsoft for going discless twice but now it's some great new invention that Sony have done it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mat said:

I buy discs because I like having hard copies of stuff. I also prefer to pay $10 for a game compared to $70 sometimes so that's a plus.

I also find it funny that everyone was ripping on Microsoft for going discless twice but now it's some great new invention that Sony have done it.

👎

I also know having discs is just about redundant with games these days. You basically have to download the entire game plus the update to your console to play it anyway.

I won't be surprised if the next gen becomes like PC where you buy it from the store and it comes with a download code in the case. I know PUBG was like that.

I think if they're going this route the base drives need to be 2TB minimum and not cap the size of the expanision.

3 hours ago, opengeo said:

👎

Cool, and when Microsoft announce they're doing a digital only console I'll say the same thing. 

16 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So do you all already have a 4K player?

My guess is if you're buying a lot of your games digitally you are probably also buying your movies digitally or just streaming them. That limits the need for a 4k player. 

9 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

No interest. I watch everything digitally and have no interest in purchasing movies outright. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mat said:

Microsoft most definitely is doing it too 

13 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

This is the one thing that will make me buy the Xbox with a disc drive.  Ps5 I'll get digital

13 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I bought a Black Friday priced XBOS because it was damn near the same price as a 4K player when you discount the cost of the $60 game. I haven’t touched/powered it up since before covid (first week of March maybe?) 

12 hours ago, opengeo said:

No interest. I watch everything digitally and have no interest in purchasing movies outright. 

I started a digital movie collection on Vudu. I like it way better then buying the DVDs. I would but dvds and never watch the movie again. With it on digital I can just go into my digital collection hit play and it fires right up. No more space being taken up by DVDs collecting dust.

For games I still like the physical copy especially for really good games I want to own. Plus GameStop doesn't give much back but at least it's something for a game that will never be played again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Machine said:

Microsoft most definitely is doing it too 

Yup. They were also wanting to shift all games onto a cloud server at some point with game sharing between friends. I'm wondering if they go down that track again at some point

44 minutes ago, Mat said:

Yup. They were also wanting to shift all games onto a cloud server at some point with game sharing between friends. I'm wondering if they go down that track again at some point

I’m sure they will. As will sony if they want to remain competitive in the game industry following this next release. Stadia is definitely the way forward. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I started a digital movie collection on Vudu. I like it way better then buying the DVDs. I would but dvds and never watch the movie again. With it on digital I can just go into my digital collection hit play and it fires right up. No more space being taken up by DVDs collecting dust.

For games I still like the physical copy especially for really good games I want to own. Plus GameStop doesn't give much back but at least it's something for a game that will never be played again

I bought GOT Season 8 on 4k UHD, and there are 10000% details in episodes like The Long Night that I can clearly make out on screen playing the disc, that are just a blur of nothingness over streaming. There is too much compression or not enough bandwidth or whatever the correct terminology is that makes the disk-viewing experience still an exceptional version. I also like commentary tracks on many things which I still have yet to see available on digital versions.

That being said, digital is convenience and I almost exclusively buy discs that are packaged with digital copy and hit up VUDU discounts on the reg (especially 80s and 90s films) so my library has grown

image.png.d78336f16cbf89266f73202400431235.png

52 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I bought GOT Season 8 on 4k UHD, and there are 10000% details in episodes like The Long Night that I can clearly make out on screen playing the disc, that are just a blur of nothingness over streaming. There is too much compression or not enough bandwidth or whatever the correct terminology is that makes the disk-viewing experience still an exceptional version. I also like commentary tracks on many things which I still have yet to see available on digital versions.

That being said, digital is convenience and I almost exclusively buy discs that are packaged with digital copy and hit up VUDU discounts on the reg (especially 80s and 90s films) so my library has grown

I totally get what you are saying and can appreciate it. I don't get into movies like that for as much as I enjoy them. 

Son of a B!! That is a lot of movies lol. They have great discounts and an endless selection I love Vudu once a week or so I'll allow myself to buy a few movies. I still think I only have 30 movies lol. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I totally get what you are saying and can appreciate it. I don't get into movies like that for as much as I enjoy them. 

Son of a B!! That is a lot of movies lol. They have great discounts and an endless selection I love Vudu once a week or so I'll allow myself to buy a few movies. I still think I only have 30 movies lol. 

if something falls in that $4.99 price that's basically "free" to my brain so I will buy and random dumb ish I know I will want to experience again. Street Fighter, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Con Air, Face/Off, Gone in 60 Seconds (Nic Cage) are all in my more recent purchases :lol:

5 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

if something falls in that $4.99 price that's basically "free" to my brain so I will buy and random dumb ish I know I will want to experience again. Street Fighter, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Con Air, Face/Off, Gone in 60 Seconds (Nic Cage) are all in my more recent purchases :lol:

Lol I just bought American Psycho for for 5 bucks yesterday. I've never actually seen that movie either so it was great! 

• Like 1

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol I just bought American Psycho for for 5 bucks yesterday. I've never actually seen that movie either so it was great! 

I think I got that one on a 4k+bluray+digital sale for probably $7.99 a while back lol

19 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Compression is the correct term. If the files have been exported in certain formats you're probably looking at 80GB files. There is no way a streaming service is going to keep files that size on a streaming server. They will probably compress it down to a H.264 format which maintains a decent quality but is like a quarter of the size

• Like 1

here we go @Bwestbrook36

https://www.themarysue.com/playstation-controller-buttons-meaning/#:~:text=I gave each symbol a,documents and made it pink.

Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one’s head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent ‘yes’ or ‘no’ decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that’s what I wanted.

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

See and that's why I can pick up any PlayStation game and know exactly what buttons will do what! Without even looking at the control settings!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Price, release date and preorder rumored to all announced around 3am eastern time tonight. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, What The F said:

Price, release date and preorder rumored to all announced around 3am eastern time tonight. 

I haven't seen anything yet dammit!