Miles Sanders contract year

MidMoFo

16 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

A little over 3/4 of the season complete.

Miles Sanders is 5th in yards at 1068

T-3rd in TDs at 11

T-4th in 1st downs at 54 (Hurts is 2nd - 59)

He might be playing his way to a contract higher than the Eagles are willing to pay him… IMO.

Possibly.  I've been saying for some time now that I wouldn't sign him if it takes a significant contract to do so ... I'd only want to bring him back if he is willing to sign somewhat of a team friendly deal.  I think a lot of teams these days are starting to share the same philosophy, that it really doesn't make sense to sign RBs to lucrative 2nd contracts.  So that could mean he won't get what he may be seeking.  I hope that is the case and that we are able to sign him to a shorter (3 year?) deal for like $5-6M/year (max) ... no doubt he's been a pretty big part of our offense this year.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Possibly.  I've been saying for some time now that I wouldn't sign him if it takes a significant contract to do so ... I'd only want to bring him back if he is willing to sign somewhat of a team friendly deal.  I think a lot of teams these days are starting to share the same philosophy, that it really doesn't make sense to sign RBs to lucrative 2nd contracts.  So that could mean he won't get what he may be seeking.  I hope that is the case and that we are able to sign him to a shorter (3 year?) deal for like $5-6M/year (max) ... no doubt he's been a pretty big part of our offense this year.  

Yeah I'd agree. I mean what teams have given big deals to RBs recently? And how has that really panned out for them. Not all that well I'm sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

If I were him I’d take the biggest deal I can get. Running backs have some of the shortest careers of any position (other than freaks like Frank Gore). Needs to get all his money as soon as he can. 

Yeah I mean that's one way to do it and i wouldn't blame him. But the smarter long term view is surely taking a more team friendly deal and staying with this team with a bright future?

20 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I hope that it turns that way for QBs moving forward too with contracts. All these teams that gave out these mega deals haven't had the same success afterwards. At this point teams pretty go all in on one season and then suffer in ensuing seasons if their QB isn't on a rookie deal.

It's odd to me that QBs want their bag so badly that they'll sacrifice the team around them. RBs and WRs have pretty much become a throw away position because teams can't afford to pay their QB and a legit #1 WR and hope they can just churn through them every 4 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Here are some numbers from over the cap. I think $7-10M per year for 3 years is still pretty fair honestly. It’s crazy that Boston Scott is making more than Sanders this year…

919BDBA7-91A9-460C-AADE-777F7390D4BF.jpeg

CFF02F81-DD3F-4DB1-91FE-6701F892CE72.jpeg

14 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Here are some numbers from over the cap. I think $7-10M per year for 3 years is still pretty fair honestly. It’s crazy that Boston Scott is making more than Sanders this year…

I'd probably be hesitant to do so but would probably consider something in the lower end of that range ($7-8M annually) ... something in line with Barkley or Fournette.  

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Can't pay him.  Clearly it's because of Hurts that Sanders is having the season he is.  Let him walk and bring in someone else, Jalen will get him there.  

Why even bring in someone else.  Gainwell and Scott will be the next Ricky and Charlie.  Jalen will make it happen.

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Can't pay him.  Clearly it's because of Hurts that Sanders is having the season he is.  Let him walk and bring in someone else, Jalen will get him there.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why even bring in someone else.  Gainwell and Scott will be the next Ricky and Charlie.  Jalen will make it happen.

I think Hurts is the more likely candidate than Sanders to sign a team friendly discounted deal… 

… cause Hurts is living rent free in your heads!!!!

BOOM!!!

🤣

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

See the source image

You didn’t read the thread did you? Not even the title? You just drug your knuckles right up in here and started talking about Jalen Hurts… you have the Hurts thread you can stay in to make yourself look stupid. 

Let’s stick to Miles Sanders in this one…

KTHXBYE! 

• Haha 1

You lose all credibility, and in turn any argument when you use the phrase "living rent free in your head”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean that's one way to do it and i wouldn't blame him. But the smarter long term view is surely taking a more team friendly deal and staying with this team with a bright future?

Until he blows out an ACL in year two of that new contract. 

RBs take an absolute punishment in this league. The smart move is always to take as much as they can get while they’re still productive. 

1 hour ago, Texas Eagle said:

You lose all credibility, and in turn any argument when you use the phrase "living rent free in your head”

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep, kind of in line with someone who gets all bossy with the direction of the thread they created.   

He does want that hug BTW.  I have sources.  

I guess my sarcasm was missed even with the stupid rent free phrase, the all caps boom and the tilted laugh emoji?

But sarcasm usually has a little truth to it… if I had bashed my "favorite teams” qb for an entire offseason and then he led my "favorite team” to the best record in the league and the first team to clinch a playoff spot while in surprisingly the best division in football and playing his way to the top of the MVP conversation… I’d probably have a complex about it to.

Glad I didn’t do anything that stupid!!! 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Until he blows out an ACL in year two of that new contract. 

RBs take an absolute punishment in this league. The smart move is always to take as much as they can get while they’re still productive. 

It's a risk but isn't the name of the game to go and win?

go miles go!! you’re having a great year and i actually like you more now then i did!! but go get us a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 thanks 🙂 

Don't worry guys every one of our free agents is gonna sign a team friendly deal 🙄

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 7:02 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't worry guys every one of our free agents is gonna sign a team friendly deal 🙄

Though I don’t believe that (and I know you don’t either) I will state  the cap is solid, but is also fluid in the sense that Howie can strategically move money around as he needs to. Kind of like how the Browns basically paid Watson little to nothing for this season so he basically didn’t lose a lot of money during his suspension. The Eagles will sign the guys they want to. 

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's a risk but isn't the name of the game to go and win?

For fans? Sure. For the players? It’s their career. Sure they may love the game, but at the end of the day the team they play for is their employer. Sanders career could be over on any given play, and even if he stays healthy chances are he won’t play THAT much longer. 

You know there are only 10 RBs in the league right now who are older than 30? 4 are 31, 3 are 32, 2 are 33, and one is 34.  Hell, there are only even 6 who are exactly 30. So in the entire league of, let’s estimate 96 RBs total (3 per team), only 16% of them even make it to 30.

And of those, pretty much all of them are backups. Only Cordarrelle Patterson (age 31) has over 500 rushing yards.  And he didn’t even start out as a RB, so he avoided taking that RB pounding until he made the position change a few years ago. 

RB careers are SHORT. Sanders is going to be 26 when next season starts. That means that he probably only gets one chance for a big contract in his career, and that one chance is next offseason. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

For fans? Sure. For the players? It’s their career. Sure they may love the game, but at the end of the day the team they play for is their employer. Sanders career could be over on any given play, and even if he stays healthy chances are he won’t play THAT much longer. 

I get the want to make a lot of money but don't you want the glory of success? Isn't that the main point of being a pro athlete?

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I get the want to make a lot of money but don't you want the glory of success? Isn't that the main point of being a pro athlete?

It’s a balance. Making sure themselves and their families are financially set for life is bigger than the game. So yes I’m sure if the Eagles and a team like the Jaguars offered similar contracts, he’d stick with the Eagles. But if the Jags blow the Eagles offer out of the water? Then he’d be crazy not to take it. 

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

It’s a balance. Making sure themselves and their families are financially set for life is bigger than the game. So yes I’m sure if the Eagles and a team like the Jaguars offered similar contracts, he’d stick with the Eagles. But if the Jags blow the Eagles offer out of the water? Then he’d be crazy not to take it. 

I mean yeah sure but then also... Like a RB can probably earn himself a good... $20M in his career? Like a RB as good as Miles I'm sure can earn that. To most people that is a lot of money. 

The Eagles led the NFL in Points scored, 386, and despite not playing for several weeks Safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson is still in first place for INTs (tied with CB Woolen Seattle Seahawks).

----------------------------------

The Philadelphia Eagles Offense are in fourteenth place with 3,191 passing yards, and tied for eighth in passing touchdowns with 22.

The Chicago Bears Offense are in last place (32) in passing yards with 2,080 and twenty-one in passing touchdowns with 14.

------------------------------------

The Philadelphia Eagles Offense is in 2nd place rushing with 2,108 yards and first place in rushing touchdowns with 27!

The Chicago Bears Offense are in 1st place in rushing with 2,459 yards and fifth in rushing touchdowns with 16.

----------------------------------------

The Eagles Defense are in first place against the pass allowing only 2,323 passing yards and tenth in stopping passing touchdowns allowing only 16.

The Chicago Bears Defense are eleventh place against the pass only allowing 2,655 passing yards and tied with Eagles allowing only 16 TDs.

-------------------------------------------

The Eagles Defense are 18th place against the run having allowed 1,538 rushing yards and 13th place by allowing 11 rushing touchdowns.

The Chicago Bears Defense 27th place against the run having allowed 1,902 rushing yards and last place by allowing 21 rushing touchdowns.

--------------------------

What fans should expect is a lot of run plays by both teams in this game, but my instincts tell me that the Eagles will want to practice throwing against a team that is playing possum until the draft.

This could be an even bigger game for Miles Sanders than last week.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah sure but then also... Like a RB can probably earn himself a good... $20M in his career? Like a RB as good as Miles I'm sure can earn that. To most people that is a lot of money. 

I agree it’s a lot of money.  It a lot of these guys don’t just want to set themselves financially but also make enough to take care of family. 

Also have to think about tax. These guys are all at the highest tax rate of 37% federal. Add on another 3% for PA state income tax.

They have to also pay their agent, which is typically 4-10%, so let’s say 7%. So now you’re looking at 47% of their income gone.  So that $20M is more like $10.6M. And that’s before they then pay financial advisors, etc which most do/should when they have that kind of money. 

So yes it’s still a lot after all that but still only goes so far if they’re also trying to take care of parents and/or other family members too.