Sacks

bigdog54

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Graham was highly productive this year for the amount of snaps he played. So was Cox for that matter, but seriously the only thing that changed for any of these players was the addition of Reddick. He also led the team in FF. You can’t for anything tell me that a part time player was better than the full time player and certainly not by what PFF is saying just like Blankenship outranking CJGJ. Just ridiculous. 

Last year Epps (part time player)  was graded much higher than Harris (full time player). Same for TJ Edwards since he's been here. When he was a part time player, he remained our highest graded LB --- above Bradham, above Gerry, above Singleton. The grade only grades their play when in. It is not about potential, but about what they actually did. When the grade is on a smaller sample size it can be more extreme based on whether that player had a great game or a terrible game in that sample. Blankenship is already a better tackler than CJGJ and he had a couple good games in his short span of playing time (that was made shorter because of his own injury). So it's not a huge surprise. As I said, Epps had a much better grade last year when his role was that of a part time player. In fact, assuming we keep CJGJ here, Blankenship will likely supplant Epps heading into next season. Some guys, such as Edwards, not only passed PFF's grading system, but passed the eye test as a player that deserved more playing time. Blankenship, IMO, has done that. So I'm not really sure why his grade shocks you so much. 

But Graham's role changed a lot because the Eagles switch between a 3-4 and 4- 3 and still rotate players within those looks. Reddick is our SAM and Graham is a DE. Both fall under the category of "edge" but both roles are different. 

If CJGJ doesn't like his pff grade, he can work on his tackling and run defense. Despite all the flashy numbers this defense had in sacks, takeaways, etc... they were not good vs the run, allowing an eye-catching 4.6 ypc. If guys like CJGJ and Reddick can improve in that area, we can bring that number down  and their pff grade will go up. 

Finally, PFF doesn't say Player A is better than Player B. They just say Player A graded this much and Player B graded this much. 

Wentz earned a PFF grade of 60.6 this season. Hurts earned an 85.9. Josh Allen had a 91.6, Mahomes 91.3. Any objections?

• Like 1

@brkmsn here are the stats for the season for both Reddick and Parsons.4EF0D7DB-D7DE-4B5F-91B4-0953053D11B9.thumb.jpeg.8af38fa951f98feb9cc823b7e333c6e7.jpeg

Accordint to PFF though one guy is to three in their rankings.A5859DBD-CB02-4FCA-BE26-50CE43964F2B.thumb.jpeg.9dbf8d2ccdd788a46f412adc604c0506.jpeg

This is why they’re trash. It’s completely based in nothing but their bias. Parson’s numbers are highly comparable to Reddick, but one guy is in the twenties while the other is in the top three. Total crap. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

@brkmsn here are the stats for the season for both Reddick and Parsons.4EF0D7DB-D7DE-4B5F-91B4-0953053D11B9.thumb.jpeg.8af38fa951f98feb9cc823b7e333c6e7.jpeg

Accordint to PFF though one guy is to three in their rankings.A5859DBD-CB02-4FCA-BE26-50CE43964F2B.thumb.jpeg.9dbf8d2ccdd788a46f412adc604c0506.jpeg

This is why they’re trash. It’s completely based in nothing but their bias. Parson’s numbers are highly comparable to Reddick, but one guy is in the twenties while the other is in the top three. Total crap. 

lol

GRADES VS. STATS

We aren’t grading players based on the yardage they rack up or the stats they collect. Statistics can be indicative of performance but don’t tell the whole story and can often lie badly. Quarterbacks can throw the ball straight to defenders but if the ball is dropped, you won't see it on the stat sheet. Conversely, they can dump the ball off on a sequence of screen passes and end up with a gaudy looking stat line if those skill position players do enough work after the catch.

PFF grades the play, not its result, so the quarterback that throws the ball to defenders will be downgraded whether the defender catches the ball to notch the interception on the stat sheet or not. No amount of broken tackles and yards after the catch from a bubble screen will earn a quarterback a better grade, even though his passing stats may be getting padded.

The same is true for most positions. Statistics can be misleading. A tackle whose quarterback gets the ball out of his hands quicker than anybody else may not give up many sacks, but he can still be beaten often and earn a poor grade. Receivers that are targeted relentlessly could post big-time numbers but may offer little more than the product of a volume-based aerial attack.

Here’s a great example from the 2016 season as to why grades and stats may not match up:

In 2016, Atlanta Falcons edge rusher Vic Beasley led the NFL in sacks in a breakout season for the NFC Champions, but he was only the 31st-ranked edge rusher in terms of PFF pass-rushing grade. Here are some of the things to note about how Beasley rated in our system:

Not all sacks are created equal

Beasley sacked the quarterback 16 times, but eight of those sixteen were either unblocked or clean-up sacks that owed more to somebody else flushing the quarterback towards where Beasley was than they did to him beating a blocker to make the play. PFF grading takes into account the quality of the play made to get the sack, and excellent plays to defeat blocks will be graded higher than sacks where the quarterback just happened to be flushed past a player as he was being blocked only to get taken down.

Pressures matter

All pass-rushers are trying to sack the quarterback, but even the best will only do so on around three percent of their snaps on the field. Hits and hurries combine with sacks to form a much more robust picture of total pressure generated.

Pressure that does not result in a sack is important too, as just pressuring the quarterback sees an average drop in passer rating of 32.0 points from 94.4 to 61.8 over the past 10 years. That’s the equivalent of turning Ben Roethlisberger into Blaine Gabbert just by hurrying him in the pocket.

Beasley led the league in sacks, but he was just 18th even among edge defenders when it comes to total pressures. Compare that to a player like Oakland’s Khalil Mack who led the league with 96 combined sacks, hits and hurries, and Beasley has a significant deficit in total pressure.

When we used our analytics to run numbers to find out just how valuable pressure was compared to sacks, our Expected Points Added data showed that a sack is worth around 2.1 pressures of any other kind. So, a player like Mack would only need to have had an extra 11 hits or hurries to have added more value as a pass-rusher than Beasley despite having five fewer sacks over the season. Mack, in reality, had 40 more pressures, and so had a significantly higher PFF grade than Beasley.

Run defense matters

Mack’s overall grade of 95.2 was also far higher than Beasley’s 74.2 because Khalil Mack was one of the best run defenders in the game, capable of shedding blocks and knifing into the backfield to blow up plays. Beasley wasn’t nearly as accomplished in this area, an area that can get lost in all the talk of sacks but is counted in the PFF grading.

• Like 1

The pff grading is just a way to measure players outside of basic stats. We are lucky to have Reddick and he was big for us last night.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The pff grading is just a way to measure players outside of basic stats. We are lucky to have Reddick and he was big for us last night.

That guy is special, but PFF makes him seem average. That’s why I don’t respect PFF and I never will. 

Reddick is so focused on getting to the ball, he’s just relentless.  been my favourite player to watch this season. For a small guy he really is full of explosive power 

• Like 2

Yeah I was intently watching Parsons in this game. I didn’t see all of those double teams. In fact I saw him moving around a lot making it difficult for the 49ers to double him. He got hit with an occasional chip but no double teams. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I was intently watching Parsons in this game. I didn’t see all of those double teams. In fact I saw him moving around a lot making it difficult for the 49ers to double him. He got hit with an occasional chip but no double teams. 

He played a lot of MLB. You can "take up" your case with pff and next gen stats. I don't really care. Most people recognize Parsons as a special player as well and he is asked to do a lot more things than Reddick, plays more downs than Reddick, and sees more double teams. Players and coaches around the league rank him higher than Reddick. Analysts rank him higher than Reddick. It's not like it's a surprise that his overall grade is higher than Reddick's, even though their pass rush grades are very close. Reddick also had the advantage of playing on a team with more very good pass rushers and better CBs. Parson's has so much versatility that he can and does line up all over the place. That is not a knock on Reddick. 

PFF has Parsons' pass rush grade at 91.9 (2nd) and Reddick's pass rush grade at 90 (4th) and you are flipping out --- lol

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

He played a lot of MLB. You can "take up" your case with pff and next gen stats. I don't really care. Most people recognize Parsons as a special player as well and he is asked to do a lot more things than Reddick, plays more downs than Reddick, and sees more double teams. Players and coaches around the league rank him higher than Reddick. Analysts rank him higher than Reddick. It's not like it's a surprise that his overall grade is higher than Reddick's, even though their pass rush grades are very close. Reddick also had the advantage of playing on a team with more very good pass rushers and better CBs. Parson's has so much versatility that he can and does line up all over the place. That is not a knock on Reddick. 

PFF has Parsons' pass rush grade at 91.9 (2nd) and Reddick's pass rush grade at 90 (4th) and you are flipping out --- lol

Parsons is a different type of player than Reddick. He’s one of the best, but that doesn’t mean he’s light years better than Reddick. Reddick is elite at what he does. You don’t have to keep making PFFs case. You chose to do that. I have an issue with them and you chose to be their defender. You say take it up with them, but I never wanted you to take up their defense from the beginning. 😂 like I told you my opinion of them will not change. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Parsons is a different type of player than Reddick. He’s one of the best, but that doesn’t mean he’s light years better than Reddick. Reddick is elite at what he does. You don’t have to keep making PFFs case. You chose to do that. I have an issue with them and you chose to be their defender. You say take it up with them, but I never wanted you to take up their defense from the beginning. 😂 like I told you my opinion of them will not change. 

You're a lot like EagleVA in that. You made up your mind years ago and any attempt to explain how something works, you ignore it. 

PFF never said he was light years ahead as a pass rusher. They did say Parsons was a better run defender, that is all. Their pass rush grades are nearly identical. I'll say it one more time so you can ignore it one more time, but pff doesn't grade on stats. It's really not hard to understand, but for some reason, you just can't grasp it. 

But he’s so great though! Can’t be stopped! Everyone has to triple team him! Or maybe his mouth is bigger than his game. 😂🤣😂 🤷‍♂️

5C72EBEE-2039-4314-9F04-57974249E78E.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

But he’s so great though! Can’t be stopped! Everyone has to triple team him! Or maybe his mouth is bigger than his game. 😂🤣😂 🤷‍♂️

5C72EBEE-2039-4314-9F04-57974249E78E.jpeg

But the next Lawrence TaylorZzZ and Derrick ThomassZzSz and JJ WattZZZzZ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

But the next Lawrence TaylorZzZ and Derrick ThomassZzSz and JJ WattZZZzZ

It seems like the guy has had more hot takes than sacks over the past couple months. That entire organization is way too inflated by everyone and they believe the hype and press clippings. That’s why Romo and Dak are basically the same guy. They think they’re the ones who won five Super Bowls when in reality they’re the ones who haven’t been to the Super Bowl since 95.

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It seems like the guy has had more hot takes than sacks over the past couple months. That entire organization is way too inflated by everyone and they believe the hype and press clippings. That’s why Romo and Dak are basically the same guy. They think they’re the ones who won five Super Bowls when in reality they’re the ones who haven’t been to the Super Bowl since 95.

Jim Harbaugh took a shot at Ryan Day last yr after beating Ohio State (fair or otherwise) saying "some people are born on 3rd and think they hit a triple" 

Oddly accurate for "America's team"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know Parsons gets this unbelievable push like he’s so unstoppable, but not really. 

24EA91B1-2BC5-403D-BA6F-1F8C3A4ED91B.jpeg

What point are you trying to make? Reddick was recognized as one of the best pass rushers this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devaster said:

What point are you trying to make? Reddick was recognized as one of the best pass rushers this season.

Reddick wasn’t even considered as a viable DPOY candidate. Let’s see how he fairs against the same competition.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reddick wasn’t even considered as a viable DPOY candidate. Let’s see how he fairs against the same competition.

Pass rushing alone doesn't make a player a DPOY candidate. Remember Barwin? He had one great season here in Philly where he was cleaning up pressures from other teammates, getting unblocked sacks, and facing lots of single teams. Outside of the sack numbers his season wasn't that impressive.

Reddick just had a similar season to Barwin. Still very useful for the Eagles, but he wasn't having an all around impact. Fits the scheme well though.

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

Pass rushing alone doesn't make a player a DPOY candidate. Remember Barwin? He had one great season here in Philly where he was cleaning up pressures from other teammates, getting unblocked sacks, and facing lots of single teams. Outside of the sack numbers his season wasn't that impressive.

Reddick just had a similar season to Barwin. Still very useful for the Eagles, but he wasn't having an all around impact. Fits the scheme well though.

I don’t think you mean Barwin. I think you mean Babin and Reddick’s season has been way better than that.

Bud you still just seeking Jason Babin after what Reddick just did in a championship game? 

No, I meant Barwin. 2014 he has 14.5 sacks and went to Pro Bowl and 2nd team AP. Reddick has still had a much better season, despite being similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devaster said:

No, I meant Barwin. 2014 he has 14.5 sacks and went to Pro Bowl and 2nd team AP. Reddick has still had a much better season, despite being similar.

I don’t think Reddick has been anything like Barwin or Babin. He’s been far more disruptive than both and he’s elevated the players around him which neither did. Who was the most dominant defensive player in the 49ers vs Eagles game? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think Reddick has been anything like Barwin or Babin. He’s been far more disruptive than both and he’s elevated the players around him which neither did. Who was the most dominant defensive player in the 49ers vs Eagles game? 

Reddick was clearly the defensive star yesterday in that game. Chris Jones similarly was "money" for the chiefs. I'm not sure why the 49ers thought blocking Reddick with just a TE was smart. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Reddick was clearly the defensive star yesterday in that game. Chris Jones similarly was "money" for the chiefs. I'm not sure why the 49ers thought blocking Reddick with just a TE was smart. 

Because they’re like PFF and the rest of the NFL. No respect for Reddick.

• Like 1