Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

45 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

I'm already on blood pressure meds. The Phils have the worst record in the entire NL. Missing a couple players shouldn't result in them being this bad. Forgive me for not being more pleased with a 4-9 record.

I mentioned above there’s some signs that aren’t good even with the optimism guys like stott, bohm and marsh aren’t hitting .400, .327 and .387 all year so even where optimism is that’s not going to hold up.

to me the Phillies have to get this turned around over the next week and a half. Because if you go into that series against the Mariners and then have to go on the road for six games at houston and dodgers hovering around 8 games below .500 you potentially are in a world of trouble. Because that stretch is brutal even if the mariners, Astros and dodgers aren’t playing their best right now either. The Phillies are playing significantly worse than those 3 and showing little signs of breaking out of it right now. The 2022 Phillies were never more than 8 games below .500. I don’t think you can afford to get yourself into a 10-12 game below .500 hole with the scheduling change and the NL being better this year. 

Bryce harper coming back is going to help. We don’t know when exactly that is. That should help spark the offense especially RISP. My bigger concerns with the Phillies is their pitching. Because the rotation being down 2 guys is not good and who knows if painter returns this year with his elbow issue or if he comes back if he has an issue again. They’re averaging less the 5 innings per start so far. And the bullpen which is getting taxed early in the season and has given up 34 ERs, 52 hits and 34 walks in 46.2 innings. I have to imagine those numbers by the pen are close to being some of the worst in Phillies history to start a season.

• Like 1

Tired of the injury excuse, Hoskins is an average player at best and all teams have injuries

14 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Tired of the injury excuse, Hoskins is an average player at best and all teams have injuries

No excuses for them being as bad as they are. Not sure how many teams have a hoskins, harper, Andrew painter and ranger Suarez starting the year injured. That’s nearly half of your rotation, an mvp candidate and hoskins who’s still better than hall and Clemens 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

No excuses for them being as bad as they are. Not sure how many teams have a hoskins, harper, Andrew painter and ranger Suarez starting the year injured. That’s nearly half of your rotation, an mvp candidate and hoskins who’s still better than hall and Clemens 

The best pitchers so far have been the guys replacing those two, they won without harper last year so no excuse, Hoskins has hot streaks but people just ignore  the disaster defense for some reason, they are losing because realmuto is terrible, Turner has no big hits and Schwarber has pretty much done zero as well, oh and our manager for some reason thinks Pache can play

14 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

The best pitchers so far have been the guys replacing those two, they won without harper last year so no excuse, Hoskins has hot streaks but people just ignore  the disaster defense for some reason, they are losing because realmuto is terrible, Turner has no big hits and Schwarber has pretty much done zero as well, oh and our manager for some reason thinks Pache can play

I’d also put their bullpen has been a disaster. Marte, kimbrel and soto have been miserable. When you give up 34 ERs, 34 walks and 52 hits in 46.2 innings that’s a dumpster fire. I think winning without Harper it’s only a matter of time until it catches up that you don’t have that type of player in the lineup. I think they were able to do it last year because they also got the fortuitousness schedule to play the Marlins, pirates and the nationals (3 of the worst teams in baseball) a combined 17 times from his injury until they got back Bryce harper. They were 15-2 in those games and games against all other teams were 17-19. 

also only a matter of time til Bailey falter turns back into a pumpkin. Last night he went 4.2 innings and gave up 5. Suarez and painter also allow strahm to be in the pen which the pen badly needs right now. Also need nola to not be as inconsistent as he has. Realmuto and schwarber started off slow last year too. 

Brogdon imploding after a sosa error put a guy on second. Like 7 of his last 8 or 9 pitches were in the dirt

5 hours ago, devpool said:

Brogdon imploding after a sosa error put a guy on second. Like 7 of his last 8 or 9 pitches were in the dirt

Tbh the bullpen is still an issue if soto and dominguez don’t turn it around. We really haven’t developed quality bullpen arms besides dominguez 

0-3 with RISP after 1 inning. Ugh 

cave batting anywhere but 9th is ridiculous. The fact he’s 7th in the lineup is a joke. 

22 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Nice job Belatti

Offense sucks and the starters have been less than good but the bullpen besides Alvarado has been a dumpster fire  

• Angry 1

One thing you can always count on is when the Phillies fall behind early by more than a couple of runs, they won’t hit for crap the rest of the game. No way they’ll ever mount any kind of a comeback. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

One thing you can always count on is when the Phillies fall behind early by more than a couple of runs, they won’t hit for crap the rest of the game. No way they’ll ever mount any kind of a comeback. 

This game was really lost in the first inning. They had momentum as runners were at first and second no outs and manage to not score a run. They had a chance to go out there and put runs on the board. Start feeling good about themselves and get it going. Instead, they did not and it just collapsed after that inning.

And Cave is worse than Pache. cave has played way more games in the league to tell you he’s not going to be good. He hasn’t been good in 345 games and over 1000 ABs. So I look at pache who’s only played 115 games before this year. So at least there’s a potential he develops as he was once highly rated prospect. Cave sucks and shouldn’t be on the roster. They should have Guthrie on the roster over him.

• Like 1

It’s pretty amazing that this team made it to the World Series last year.  With how they look they may struggle to win 80 games

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

It’s pretty amazing that this team made it to the World Series last year.  With how they look they may struggle to win 80 games

Can say whatever we want but this team is completely unfocused with base running mistakes and not ready to go when the season started. We have injuries but this feels more like a hangover at this point with just how bad and mistakes they are making 

• Like 2

No outs bases loaded and realmuto pops out. has been atrocious this year with RISP 

holy crap cave actually did something 

8 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

So I missed the first inning and the game is pretty much over.

Nola can easily give up that exact same inning in the 5th

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, devpool said:

Nola can easily give up that exact same inning in the 5th

I was going to say the Phillies last year had a seven run lead against the Mets in the 9th and managed to blow it. 

29 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This might be the run support Nola needs to go 5 innings.

Idk nola already at 65 pitches in the bottom of the 4th with no outs.