Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Castellanos is going to go down as one of the biggest FA busts in Philadelphia sports. Not sure what DD was thinking when he signed him. That money could have and should have gone to a front line starter. 

• Like 4

On pace to win 27 games this year. That's a lot more than the Eagles won last season, so there's that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Castellanos is going to go down as one of the biggest FA busts in Philadelphia sports. Not sure what DD was thinking when he signed him. That money could have and should have gone to a front line starter. 

D7F5F9EC-F5D7-412E-902D-97CFC684F80E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TV Guy said:

On pace to win 27 games this year. That's a lot more than the Eagles won last season, so there's that.

thompson is fraud and the playoffs proved it, im not shocked by this result.

• Haha 1

They want to make sure they're in last place in the division and at least 20 games back before they turn it on. Going for the storybook underdog strategy.

11 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

They want to make sure they're in last place in the division and at least 20 games back before they turn it on. Going for the storybook underdog strategy.

bill-murray-caddyshack.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

thompson is fraud and the playoffs proved it, im not shocked by this result.

oh yeah, he really got totally outwitted in the wildcard, NLDS & NLCS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Facing some good pitchers coming up.  That combined with all the injuries…could be a historically bad start here.

14 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Postponing a game because there may be bad weather. Yeesh.

I wonder if all of the injuries had something to do with it, too?

Jesus what a disastrous start, they're gonna get into a hole they won't be able to recover from by the time Bryce and hall are back full time

1 hour ago, devpool said:

Jesus what a disastrous start, they're gonna get into a hole they won't be able to recover from by the time Bryce and hall are back full time

Tbh i think they might have to just bite the bullet and make a trade for an mlb quality first baseman. I know just a few games in but hall was .222 with a obp of .282. I think someone like cron is possible. Also i know bryce is good friends with kris Bryant. Wouldn’t be shocked if the Rockies look to unload him when they inevitably fall out of contention and play him at first 

43 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh i think they might have to just bite the bullet and make a trade for an mlb quality first baseman. I know just a few games in but hall was .222 with a obp of .282. I think someone like cron is possible. Also i know bryce is good friends with kris Bryant. Wouldn’t be shocked if the Rockies look to unload him when they inevitably fall out of contention and play him at first 

Bryant still has another 6 years  including this one left on his contract. Don't see DD or Middleton taking that contract on unless Colorado eats half of it. He was awful last year. Maybe  Castellanos for Bryant trade? One bad contract for another.

11 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Bryant still has another 6 years  including this one left on his contract. Don't see DD or Middleton taking that contract on unless Colorado eats half of it. He was awful last year. Maybe  Castellanos for Bryant trade? One bad contract for another.

Bryant looks good so far tbh. .357 and .400 OBP and can play multiple positions. Not making the trade til closer to the deadline so we will see how he holds up.

I look at it this way if they were gonna try to extend Rhys hoskins it’s like a 5 year deal. After 2023, bryant has 5 years left and he’s 31. His average annual salary is 26 mil. It’s really not bad considering I’m guessing hoskins before the injury at 31 would’ve gotten something like 5-110 (22 mil per). I’d take Bryant’s upside over hoskins. Also gotta look at the first base market next offseason. It’s god awful in terms of guys. I’d prefer a younger player but Bryant makes sense especially if you can get the Rockies to eat some of the contract by offering better prospects or you take on the contract to give up less. Issue is we don’t have great first base prospects in the system or close to contribute right now. Plus castellanos, schwarber and harper can move there but they aren’t first basemen. Frankly I’d love to dump castellanos 

Oh happy days…Realmuto goes yard 

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Bryant looks good so far tbh. .357 and .400 OBP and can play multiple positions. Not making the trade til closer to the deadline so we will see how he holds up.

I look at it this way if they were gonna try to extend Rhys hoskins it’s like a 5 year deal. After 2023, bryant has 5 years left and he’s 31. His average annual salary is 26 mil. It’s really not bad considering I’m guessing hoskins before the injury at 31 would’ve gotten something like 5-110 (22 mil per). I’d take Bryant’s upside over hoskins. Also gotta look at the first base market next offseason. It’s god awful in terms of guys. I’d prefer a younger player but Bryant makes sense especially if you can get the Rockies to eat some of the contract by offering better prospects or you take on the contract to give up less. Issue is we don’t have great first base prospects in the system or close to contribute right now. Plus castellanos, schwarber and harper can move there but they aren’t first basemen. Frankly I’d love to dump castellanos 

Good points. Yeah, maybe a Castellanos for Bryant trade? NC can play first for Colorado and who knows, maybe he can rediscover his power stroke in Coors Field. Also works out a little better for the Rockies since NC has 2 less years than Bryant does on his contract and is owed less money.

Really hard to believe that the Phillies don't have a first baseman in the minors they can bring up. It's the easiest damn position to play on the field. 

8 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Good points. Yeah, maybe a Castellanos for Bryant trade? NC can play first for Colorado and who knows, maybe he can rediscover his power stroke in Coors Field. Also works out a little better for the Rockies since NC has 2 less years than Bryant does on his contract and is owed less money.

Really hard to believe that the Phillies don't have a first baseman in the minors they can bring up. It's the easiest damn position to play on the field. 

I think cron is more realistic option in a deal. but he doesn’t solve your problem long term as he’s a FA at the end of the year and 34 next year. 

i tend to think if you deal castellanos then you have to go get another DH or OF in the offseason. Probably easier to find than 1st base market. Maybe hoskins coming off the knee takes a 1 year prove it deal. Can use him and schwarber as DH during the season and have Bryant play OF and 1B.  

The thing that dumbfounding about it is they knew Rhys Hoskins contract was coming up and a boras client. So unless you were dead set on extending him, it made no sense not to draft and develop over the past 3 years. Makes me believe they were gonna let hoskins test the market and match whatever offer he got which i tend to think he gets 4-5 years around 20-22 mil per. It’s a poor first baseman market someone would’ve over paid. Hall and Clemens were never high end Major league prospects. They’re more of a bench guys. Maybe their other line of thinking is moving schwarber or harper to first full time. I prefer schwarber than harper. As i think harper can play outfield well and schwarber is more of a liability 

• Like 1