DCU Thread

BFit

I keep reading fans liked it, but the special effects are bad & because of past DC disappointments plus Ezra it's not performing at the box office. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:48 PM, NOTW said:

I keep reading fans liked it, but the special effects are bad & because of past DC disappointments plus Ezra it's not performing at the box office. 

Critics weren't a fan of it

Audience on RT have it at 84 and IMDb has it at 7.3

Ezra was pretty good in it but like I said he's a villain in real life plus it's a DC movie and people like to crap on those

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Critics weren't a fan of it

Audience on RT have it at 84 and IMDb has it at 7.3

Ezra was pretty good in it but like I said he's a villain in real life plus it's a DC movie and people like to crap on those

I think people crap on franchises or studios based on a string of releases.  Marvel is getting a lot of criticism for their current phase.  People loved Nolan's Batman movies, loved Wonder Woman, Man of Steel was liked and people really liked Cavill as Superman and the new Pattinson The Batman movie was a hit that people liked a lot.  Shazam and Aquaman were well received, the newer Suicide Squad and Peacemaker TV shows are hits.  The DC shows on TV and animation are very well liked.  I think it's because Batman v Superman wasn't great, JL was a huge letdown (even the Snyder cut is just ok), WW84 was so terrible after the first one was good and no one really likes Ezra Miller as the Flash.  By comparison, they like the TV version of Flash.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I think people crap on franchises or studios based on a string of releases.  Marvel is getting a lot of criticism for their current phase.  People loved Nolan's Batman movies, loved Wonder Woman, Man of Steel was liked and people really liked Cavill as Superman and the new Pattinson The Batman movie was a hit that people liked a lot.  Shazam and Aquaman were well received, the newer Suicide Squad and Peacemaker TV shows are hits.  The DC shows on TV and animation are very well liked.  I think it's because Batman v Superman wasn't great, JL was a huge letdown (even the Snyder cut is just ok), WW84 was so terrible after the first one was good and no one really likes Ezra Miller as the Flash.  By comparison, they like the TV version of Flash.

I'm not saying some of it isn't warranted. DC is a mess. I'm hoping Gunn does a better job but a lot does play into it

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised but the Flash box office went down 81% from the opening day and seems to be tracking poorly. My assumption was the film would do steady business box office wise because the reviews are from what I can see, decent enough..

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/6/bm1wvy468rey56nol8wx15merhn9ud

That said, Indiana Jones 5 could make that box office look amazing in comparison

3 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

I am surprised but the Flash box office went down 81% from the opening day and seems to be tracking poorly. My assumption was the film would do steady business box office wise because the reviews are from what I can see, decent enough..

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/6/bm1wvy468rey56nol8wx15merhn9ud

That said, Indiana Jones 5 could make that box office look amazing in comparison

The Flash won its opening weekend, but then the 2nd week in release it fell to #3 behind Spiderverse (won #1 in its 4th week), and Elementals which was also in its 2nd week.

That tells you either people are going back to see Spiderverse or word of mouth is better.

I haven't seen The Flash yet and don't really care, I can wait for HBO Max (still not liking calling it just Max ha ha).  I'm sure there are "surprise" cameos but the trailers were already loaded with Michael Keaton that gave all the fun stuff away.  By contrast, Spiderman No Way Home didn't put the other 2 Spider-men in the trailers even though everyone knew they'd be in it.  They left that for first time viewing experience.  They could have teased Keaton's Batman, teased Superman and built up more interest. 

The first 15 minutes of The Flash are a complete disaster. It then elevates to mediocre 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mat said:

The first 15 minutes of The Flash are a complete disaster. It then elevates to mediocre 

This. Dumpster fire movie that deserves to not have people watch it outside of opening weekend fandom/curiosity

dc saves me a ton of money by not attracting me to the theaters. 

i guess that's good. 

Lol it's so trendy to hate it

Oh well. The movie was essentially only used to reboot Gunn's universe 

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

The Flash won its opening weekend, but then the 2nd week in release it fell to #3 behind Spiderverse (won #1 in its 4th week), and Elementals which was also in its 2nd week.

That tells you either people are going back to see Spiderverse or word of mouth is better.

I haven't seen The Flash yet and don't really care, I can wait for HBO Max (still not liking calling it just Max ha ha).  I'm sure there are "surprise" cameos but the trailers were already loaded with Michael Keaton that gave all the fun stuff away.  By contrast, Spiderman No Way Home didn't put the other 2 Spider-men in the trailers even though everyone knew they'd be in it.  They left that for first time viewing experience.  They could have teased Keaton's Batman, teased Superman and built up more interest. 

I've heard a constant buzz about the Spiderverse and different versions of it out there, the Flash, not so much; it's just there. Agree on the spoilers; where is the incentive to spend money to find out if Keaton is there or not?  Oh, they spoiled it.

James Gunn is going to have his work cut out with DC.

The other buzz I've heard a bit about is the new Mission Impossible film. Apparently it's good

16 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

I've heard a constant buzz about the Spiderverse and different versions of it out there, the Flash, not so much; it's just there. Agree on the spoilers; where is the incentive to spend money to find out if Keaton is there or not?  Oh, they spoiled it.

James Gunn is going to have his work cut out with DC.

The other buzz I've heard a bit about is the new Mission Impossible film. Apparently it's good

Flashpoint Paradox, it's definitely a thing in DC. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Flash was a decent movie. About on par with your average Marvel movie. 

The issue is that prior to BVS, DC only had five meh movies: Superman 3 & 4, Superman Returns, and the Schumacher Batman’s (you could also argue Batman Returns), whereas Marvel churns out meh all the time. So the expectation is that DC needs to be good. Which isn’t wrong. Seeing Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on screen for the first time should have been like kissing God with a mouthful of Scotch. 

What WB needs to do is stop with any joined story and just make really good movies about one character at a time. If you want to link them afterward then go for it, but give characters a good trilogy, alone. 

Honestly I don’t see Gunn succeeding at DC because the DC characters are inherently different than Marvel. But I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 2

You're kind of right.  DC need to do a better job of leveraging their better/bigger characters to grow revenues - Batman, Superman, etc.  Done right, the popular characters are a license to print money on screen, in TV and in comic form.  I don't get why we've not had a stand-alone Superman film in 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Blah Beetle was as if Hallmark channel made superhero movies. 

• Thanks 1

Blue Beetle had great humor and action but dragged a lot. If it wasn't a joke or action then I was dozing off

• 2 weeks later...

flash was actually pretty good. loved seeing michael keaton as batman again, but ezra miller is such a weirdo dbag, it's hard to get passed it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

flash was actually pretty good. loved seeing michael keaton as batman again, but ezra miller is such a weirdo dbag, it's hard to get passed it. 

He was always a terrible casting choice, didn't like him in Justice League either.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 4:23 PM, NOTW said:

He was always a terrible casting choice, didn't like him in Justice League either.

Should have just taken Grant Gustin from the CW Show.

The Flash was OK, but the bad CGI and some borderline offensive attempts at humor gave it no chance at being better.  A baby in a microwave?  Really?  C'mon.  Ezra Miller is a predatory sexual deviant and that he wasn't replaced also speaks very poorly of DC, but his performance wasn't a problem with this movie.  Actually, as strange as he makes Barry seem, he grows on you throughout the film.

• 5 weeks later...

Watched The Flash while on vacation tonight, the rental has HBO Max. 

I saw it for free.

I want my money back. 

Stupid, cringe, corny. They wasted cameos, Keaton and nostalgia cheaply in an awful awful movie. Ezra Miller sucks, badly. I drank and made fun of it like a B movie.

• Haha 2