EAGLES/HURTS AGREE TO 5 YEAR/$255 MILLION EXTENSION!!

SPIDER-MAN

4 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

So much for hoping he'd sign a more team-friendly deal...

Well deserved, though. He didn't have to. I trust Howie structured it in a way that will keep talent around.

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

This year 5m against the cap, then 32m each for the next 2 years

It's not a Mahomes or Brady team friendly deal, but it's not bad. The guaranteed money is high, but the contract isn't fully guaranteed and because it's a 5 year extension, it means we can keep the cap hits down for the next 2-3 years. We also avoided a short deal where we may have had to go up to 60-65 in 3 years to match contracts continuing to rise.

I'm sure Howie will have manipulated the cap with dummy years, roster bonuses etc. 

Most important thing is we have our franchise QB locked up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

The main offensive weapons signed through:

• DeVonta Smith: 2024
  • Kenneth Gainwell: 2024
  • Dallas Goedert: 2025
  • AJ Brown: 2026

O line starters: (Howie has proven to extend and keep O linemen)

• Kelce: 2023, but Jurgens there ready
  • Dickerson: 2024
  • Mailata: 2025
  • Johnson: 2025

So all the main guys around him on offense are signed for the next 2-3 years already before this deal.  

And am I right in thinking we have the 5th year option for Smith, so we have Smith Goedert and Brown all tied up through 2025?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Don't worry about the NTC. No team is trading for a 50m QB who does not want to be there. Every top salary QB has an automatic NTC.

If this was not so then Stafford would have gone to Carolina.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_matthew_stafford_nixed_trade_to_panthers_in_favor_of_rams/s1_127_35847308

I think it’s more of a commitment thing. Jalen’s heard all the rumors about how the team was looking to trade for some guys and possibly trade him away. He’s also witnessed what happened to Carson. Both sides are looking to show they’re in it for the long haul. With that being the case NTCs can be waived so all it really means is if either side is looking for a split the quarterback has the right to choose where he goes. Hard to predict the future, but I really don’t think that will be an issue.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

And am I right in thinking we have the 5th year option for Smith, so we have Smith Goedert and Brown all tied up through 2025?

Howie’s kind of put on a master class here. He has his core offense locked up for multiple years at a time. He has an enormous amount of draft capital for 2024 and 4 picks in the first three rounds of this draft to move all around the board if he wants. The Eagles are in a great position for the next 3-5 years which is crazy because after 2020 people thought it was all crashing down. 

• Like 2

Great to have him locked up, no issue at all with the contract. He earned it and no doubt with his demeaner this will not change his motivation to get better. I had my doubts two seasons back like a lot of people,  but if there is anyone that I think the money will change their play it's not Jalen. Kelce and Lane as well, actually a few others as well.  Can't wait for the draft and the season to start. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

It's not a Mahomes or Brady team friendly deal, but it's not bad. The guaranteed money is high, but the contract isn't fully guaranteed and because it's a 5 year extension, it means we can keep the cap hits down for the next 2-3 years. We also avoided a short deal where we may have had to go up to 60-65 in 3 years to match contracts continuing to rise.

I'm sure Howie will have manipulated the cap with dummy years, roster bonuses etc. 

Most important thing is we have our franchise QB locked up.

People need to stop with the falsehood that Brady was taking a deal

This will look more like a deal once Herbert and Burrow get their contracts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie’s kind of put on a master class here. He has his core offense locked up for multiple years at a time. He has an enormous amount of draft capital for 2024 and 4 picks in the first three rounds of this draft to move all around the board if he wants. The Eagles are in a great position for the next 3-5 years which is crazy because after 2020 people thought it was all crashing down. 

Future and immediate future looking bright! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Great deal the way it's staggered per year. Howie strikes again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rey said:

May be an image of football and text that says 'ppotor Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Eagles' QB Jalen Hurts' salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today's $255 million extension: 2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million 19:08 17Apr23 11.6K Views'

By 2027, the $31 million hit will be a drop in the bucket if things continue in this direction

• Like 3

This is extremely low as far as the Cap hit goes ... no clue how this can be possible, but if these #'s are correct we have tons of money still available that I did not expect the next few years. Hell, Hurts counts for less than Javon Hargrave till 2026 ... lol

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Procus said:

To me, this contract screams that the cap is set to explode

Inflation is set to explode smh. Hyper inflation time folks fasten up your seat belts. Countries are dropping the dollar even allies. Hurts contact is a a sign of the times indeed :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Procus said:

By 2027, the $31 million hit will be a drop in the bucket if things continue in this direction

Howie strikes again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Thank you.  People who say the Eagles overpaid miss the point.  It's never about one guy or one deal.  It's a market, like Wall Street. This deal is exactly on market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

EXACTLY, which is why I can't help but laugh at the one clown complaining about this. Hurts is now under contract for the next six years. By the time this contract kicks in in 2024 there will be two or three QB's already making more than than him. Once he is just two years into this five year deal it will look like a bargain. This is why getting your QB locked up first and setting the market is always the best move. Not only that, looks at his cap hit in 24 and 25, and 31 million in 26 probably won't be that much with the amazon money coming in and the cap sure to rise significantly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Thank you.  People who say the Eagles overpaid miss the point.  It's never about one guy or one deal.  It's a market, like Wall Street. This deal is exactly on market.

Once those contracts for Burrow and Herbert drop people might be signing a different tune. If anything this contract feels mind boggling low considering the numbers we have been told it is. Jalen’s cap hits just don’t seem to register the cost of this contract. Frankly Howie has no excuses now. He can’t claim that he doesn’t have the money to field a team around Jalen with these types of cap hits. 

F263BF14-917C-4C21-BCFB-865E92F317C6.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Mike Brown owner of the Bengals putting $200 plus million in escrow, to cover Burrows guarantee should be interesting, that transfer of money might cause him to have a stroke. 

As for Howie being a magician in some fans eyes, yep he absolutely knows how to play the salary as well as anyone, but don't forget that lots of GM's in the NFL would love to have an owner like Lurie that's willing to pay countless dead cap hits.   What is it in 2023, 46 million?  Next closest team is the Raiders at about $30 million.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blackfish said:

Mike Brown owner of the Bengals putting $200 plus million in escrow, to cover Burrows guarantee should be interesting, that transfer of money might cause him to have a stroke. 

As for Howie being a magician in some fans eyes, yep he absolutely knows how to play the salary as well as anyone, but don't forget that lots of GM's in the NFL would love to have an owner like Lurie that's willing to pay countless dead cap hits.   What is it in 2023, 46 million?  Next closest team is the Raiders at about $30 million.  

And also don’t forget with our cap we like to give those signing bonuses that get spread against the cap. I think the player gets the full amount but it is spread. That helps.

10 hours ago, judunno said:

Seems like you're upset about someone elses pockets 🙂

You make no sense. I said I hate the no trade clause in baseball and hockey and don't want to see it in the NFL. After this it will be popping up all over I'm sure.

10 hours ago, judunno said:

Seems like you're upset about someone elses pockets 🙂

He has something against  Hurts. Called for his injury a couple years ago so we could find a new QB. I’m not surprised he’s having issues with this contract 

7 hours ago, judunno said:

Great deal the way it's staggered per year. Howie strikes again.

6 hours ago, Rey said:

This is extremely low as far as the Cap hit goes ... no clue how this can be possible, but if these #'s are correct we have tons of money still available that I did not expect the next few years. Hell, Hurts counts for less than Javon Hargrave till 2026 ... lol

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie strikes again!

People freak out about the size of these contract, but the keys are guaranteed money, length and cap hit.

There was talk that Hurts wanted a three year extension so he could negotiate again. This contract feels like it’s going to be restructured after 2026. In the meantime Hurts gets a bucket load of guaranteed money and to say he’s the highest paid player in the league.

This will be an extremely back loaded contract with dummy years. The result is that we have our franchise QB for the next 4 years on extremely low cap hits. 

Another masterclass by Howie.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rey said:

May be an image of football and text that says 'ppotor Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Eagles' QB Jalen Hurts' salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today's $255 million extension: 2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million 19:08 17Apr23 11.6K Views'

That is actually crazy good.

I like that the deal is through 2028, was hoping for a longer term contract.