EAGLES/HURTS AGREE TO 5 YEAR/$255 MILLION EXTENSION!!

SPIDER-MAN

On 4/25/2023 at 12:10 AM, devpool said:

Then why ask for $255 mil lol

Get your head out of the sand, he didn’t ask for $255M. They effectively made up a number for PR purposes.

Take a look at the cash the team is actually on the hook to pay him. It’s effectively a 3 year extension that is relatively harmless against the cap. 

He is basically betting on himself that he’ll stay healthy and continue to improve and win. Otherwise he screwed himself a bit with that contract.

• Like 4

There's a huge upside here which can't be said about other teams except for the Chiefs and Bengals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I certainly believe Hurts can win games in a variety of ways, but I do believe that the Eagles need to find themselves a legitimate running back to take some of the pressure off Jalen to do everything especially in the run game. Why do people feel like most backs are a dime a dozen? Because after they’re run into the ground for about three seasons they tend to wear down. Jalen is on a breakneck quarterback rush pace that I am concerned could wear him down. Now does that mean because he runs less his career will be longer? Truth be told not really. There’s plenty of drop back traditional quarterbacks who had very short career like Troy Aikman and Andrew Luck. Injuries are a part of football for sure but the Eagles owe it to themselves to find a better running option to minimize the risks on Jalen’s body. 

I think it comes down to balance with Jalen. His ability to evade the pass rush can absolutely help him to avoid big hits. But the counter to that is when he takes off and runs he can take big shots. Last year he was better with staying in the pocket but he still took too many big hits and that’s what caused the injury.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it comes down to balance with Jalen. His ability to evade the pass rush can absolutely help him to avoid big hits. But the counter to that is when he takes off and runs he can take big shots. Last year he was better with staying in the pocket but he still took too many big hits and that’s what caused the injury.

The guy dropped his whole body on to Jalen with an intent to harm because he could. I had similar concerns about Carson going out there and taking on linebackers and safeties like some crazy person. I do believe that Jalen has been smarter than Carson ever was about protecting himself from big hits, but the sheer volume of times Jalen handles the ball makes him more of a target. Also a back who is not just a run option is needed. We kneed one capable of picking up blitzes, but also one that can catch the ball on dump offs and short routes to get the ball out of Jalen’s hands even faster. Another option in the receiving game as a back other than Gainwell. Gainwell is a nice complimentary player, but he’s no every down back. 

• Like 1

https://www.spotrac.com/news/breaking-down-jalen-hurts-255m-extension-1865/

Not sure if this has been posted, but we now have a full breakdown of Hurts’s contract. Basically it has a bunch of voidable years, which will need to be dealt with eventually but mean that the cap hits are still manageable in 2027 and 2028. They are bargains before then.

Incredible deal for the Eagles. 

• Like 1

Now that the details are out, kudos to his agent.  The contract is essentially a fully guaranteed $255 million deal, with a guarantee that they sign him to another contract for 2029 and beyond.   If they don't sign him to a new contract, then all of the dead money from his option bonuses in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028 that extend into the void years get accelerated to the 2029 season which would amount to dead money of $86.6 mil. 

Spotrac needs to update their numbers, as the dead money they are showing in 2027 and beyond are off.  They aren't accounting for the options bonuses he's getting in 2026, 2027, and 2028.

He has a veteran minimum base salary in every single year of the deal, and receives a large option bonus in every year (except 2023 in which case he receives a signing bonus).  

Because of the voidable years, this also means that his next contract will already have cap values essentially "pre-loaded" into it.  For example, the prorations from his 2025-2028 option bonuses add up to a cap value of $35 mil in 2029.  So any cap values from his next contract will be added onto the cap values that currently exist in the "void" years.  

37 minutes ago, Phillyterp85 said:

Now that the details are out, kudos to his agent.  The contract is essentially a fully guaranteed $255 million deal, with a guarantee that they sign him to another contract for 2029 and beyond.   If they don't sign him to a new contract, then all of the dead money from his option bonuses in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028 that extend into the void years get accelerated to the 2029 season which would amount to dead money of $86.6 mil. 

Spotrac needs to update their numbers, as the dead money they are showing in 2027 and beyond are off.  They aren't accounting for the options bonuses he's getting in 2026, 2027, and 2028.

He has a veteran minimum base salary in every single year of the deal, and receives a large option bonus in every year (except 2023 in which case he receives a signing bonus).  

Because of the voidable years, this also means that his next contract will already have cap values essentially "pre-loaded" into it.  For example, the prorations from his 2025-2028 option bonuses add up to a cap value of $35 mil in 2029.  So any cap values from his next contract will be added onto the cap values that currently exist in the "void" years.  

Translation: 
"I'm rich b***ch"  - Jalen Hurts

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Translation: 
"I'm rich b***ch"  - Jalen Hurts

Seriously, what a ride for him.  Goes from being benched at Alabama at the end of the 2018 season, being drafted in the 2nd round to a team that already has a QB that they just gave a huge contract to,  to being the highest paid QB in the NFL.  All within 5 years.  Incredible. 

• Like 1

Just now, Phillyterp85 said:

Seriously, what a ride for him.  Goes from being benched at Alabama at the end of the 2018 season, being drafted in the 2nd round to a team that already has a QB that they just gave a huge contract to,  to being the highest paid QB in the NFL.  All within 5 years.  Incredible. 

Yeah. The hard work and dedication certainly paid off. Freaking awesome. Now he just needs to cap the fairy tale with that Super Bowl win. 

F YOU GANNON.

Sorry that's my auto complete message when Super Bowl is mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just like that hurts isn't the highest paid player

43 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Good now maybe some people can stop whining about it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

But he's still #1 in our hearts ❤️

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 8:37 AM, EazyEaglez said:

The guy dropped his whole body on to Jalen with an intent to harm because he could.

Running QBs are going to be targeted that way unfortunately. I’m not saying it is right or fair but if a defensive player sees a real chance to put some pain on a QB they are going to do it.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Running QBs are going to be targeted that way unfortunately. I’m not saying it is right or fair but if a defensive player sees a real chance to put some pain on a QB they are going to do it.

While I love what has happened in the draft so far, I still think the need a versatile weapon out of the backfield. A guy who the Eagles can count on to move the chains and take some running pressure off Jalen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

While I love what has happened in the draft so far, I still think the need a versatile weapon out of the backfield. A guy who the Eagles can count on to move the chains and take some running pressure off Jalen. 

Oh I’m right there with you bud! I’d love them to add a really good dynamic RB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They will get another RB whether it be from the draft or trade. Not worried at all about that position. More worried about OL honestly.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

They will get another RB whether it be from the draft or trade. Not worried at all about that position. More worried about OL honestly.

I’m less worried about that position than I am worried about the quarterback and keeping him healthy.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I’m less worried about that position than I am worried about the quarterback and keeping him healthy.

We have questions at RG and our LT has been banged up and needs a quality back up that would certainly see some time this year. That plays a larger part in keeping a QB healthy than a rotational RB IMO. Can always get a rotational RB. OL not so much. Trade options seem to be plentiful... add Swift to the list of already available backs. Then there are plenty of dynamic backs available from the 2nd to the 4th.

27 minutes ago, judunno said:

We have questions at RG and our LT has been banged up and needs a quality back up that would certainly see some time this year. That plays a larger part in keeping a QB healthy than a rotational RB IMO. Can always get a rotational RB. OL not so much. Trade options seem to be plentiful... add Swift to the list of already available backs. Then there are plenty of dynamic backs available from the 2nd to the 4th.

A typical drop back QB and I would agree 100% with you, but a guy who runs the ball as much as Jalen just makes me feel like they need a legit  offensive weapon in the backfield so Jalen doesn’t have to run nearly as often as he does. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

A typical drop back QB and I would agree 100% with you, but a guy who runs the ball as much as Jalen just makes me feel like they need a legit  offensive weapon in the backfield so Jalen doesn’t have to run nearly as often as he does. 

We'll agree to disagree. OL need > RB need IMO in the draft. If they feel so strong about RB as you do they have plenty of options. That position can be more easily filled than OL. RBs drop off trees OLs don't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I’d put in a Roob stat on Jalen here. 

"We haven’t had a Jalen Hurts Stat of the Week lately, so here goes: The only quarterbacks in NFL history to throw at least 1,000 passes in their first three seasons but fewer than 20 interceptions are Patrick Mahomes (18 interceptions in 1,099 attempts) and Jalen Hurts (19 interceptions in 1,040 attempts).”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/roobs-observations-positions-eagles-better-151500223.html

The Eagles are 23-11 with Jalen Hurts as their starting quarterback. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's almost time.  Training Camp is on the horizon.   JALEN - YEAR 4 - SENIOR YEAR.  Let's Go.   

jalen-hurts.gif

Very excited. Hurts is not content, he's going to keep pushing to improve, to get back to the SB and win. He's a true leader, passionate and on a mission.

FB_IMG_1676176296935.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1