EAGLES/HURTS AGREE TO 5 YEAR/$255 MILLION EXTENSION!!

SPIDER-MAN

On 4/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, Diehardfan said:

I don't think he's worth 51 million, but we'll see. And a no trade? F that.

Diehardfan, Who would you have replaced Hurts with?

On 4/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, Gannan said:

I was skeptical going into this past year but dude, c'mon. The state of quarterbacks in the NFL is terrible. There's like 6 legit good ones, about 8-10 meh ones, and a whole lot of dreck after that. I'm not sure if even the biggest Hurts hater could make a case that he isn't a top 5 QB in this league. Honestly he's no worse than 4.

1. Mahomes
  2. Burrow
  3. Hurts
  4. Allen
  5. Herbert
  6. Lawrence (on the rise now that he has legit coaching)
  7. Tua (always hurt)
  8. Geno Smith (yes Geno Smith is the 8th best QB in the NFL, that's how bad it is)
  9. Dak (can't win in the playoffs)
  10. Goff (the dictionary definition of a mediocre QB is 10th best)
  11. Fields (miles to go as a passer)
  12. Lamar Jackson (sucks in the red zone, terrible decision maker in terms of passing)
  13. Rodgers (cooked!)
  14. Purdy (dude probably won't even start next year)
  15. Kyler Murray (the Ben Simmons of the NFL)
  16. Jones (the Giants actually had to pay this dude like 45 mill a season because the QB position is such dreck)
  17. Cousins (this guy is going to get paid again for the same reason)

After Cousins, the rest of the QBs are total trash. I could make the case that I wouldn't want any of the guys on this list after 11 as my "franchise QB". I would say any team that doesn't have one of those top 7 guys (and Miami is a stretch because I don't think Tua can stay healthy for a playoff run) has pretty much zero shot of winning a super bowl. The Eagles had to

1-5 are only QBs I'd give big contracts to. Lawrence is questionable (he's on rise). I may have included Tua if not for health concerns. Lamar apparently isn't backing away from a fully guaranteed contract. The other QBs: I'd rather take my chances in draft if they want top money.

Hurts ripped up his old deal and got a 6 year contract for about $260mil. That is actually a yearly average of about $43mil. He was going to make $4.2mil this season on his rookie contract, which is included in the new deal.

It really isn't that bad a deal and a bit of a discount compared to some other QB's. In a couple years this contract won't look as impactful as it is right now.

• Haha 2

He was a 2nd Round Pick that wasn't even technically supposed to start until Dougie P took a chance and put him in the last 4 games of 2020. People were expecting Jalen to get paid but a lot of people weren't expecting him to get this big of a contact this early.  He's only been the starter for 2 years.  It's a huge Draft success story for the Eagles.  This is a testament to Jalen's work ethic and success that the Organization did this so quickly.   Jalen literally hit the jackpot with this contract.   He's only 24 years old and increased his salary by a lot in the coming years.  

• Like 2

It appears to be a smart deal for the player and the team. Also, as the cap rises over the next few years, it won't seem like a lot then. This team is in a position to actually add talent moving forward rather than watch it all leave due to the QB contract. Well done Howie.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Who would you have replaced Hurts with?

1-5 are only QBs I'd give big contracts to. Lawrence is questionable (he's on rise). I may have included Tua if not for health concerns. Lamar apparently isn't backing away from a fully guaranteed contract. The other QBs: I'd rather take my chances in draft if they want top money.

So you're saying let him walk and hope that the Eagles can draft another starting caliber NFL QB?   

Is that an accurate statement?

Just so we can stay on record, the Eagles are drafting at #10.  I'm assuming you want to draft Hurts replacement here.  Who are you thinking can replace him?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vee said:

So you're saying let him walk and hope that the Eagles can draft another starting caliber NFL QB?   

Just so we can stay on record, the Eagles are drafting at #10.  I'm assuming you want to draft Hurts replacement here.  Who are you thinking can replace him?

This poster isn’t saying that. He’s questioning diehard who is unhappy with the contract. He is saying he would pay Hurts but not many others in the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vee said:

No. I said Hurts is one of those guys I would pay. Look at my post again.

• Like 1

FFS the Eagles just signed a great player and all you trolls do is bicker with one another over such stupid ****.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

FFS the Eagles just signed a great player and all you trolls do is bicker with one another over such stupid ****.

Welcome to TATE!

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, judunno said:

The guaranteed money and no trade clause kind of voids the back loaded dummy years concept. I agree he likely restructures to do the team a solid towards the end so that he can actually have a supporting cast though

Eagles will restructure by the end of the contract and the cap will rise at that point as well. Howie probably already sees future cap estimates (so long as there isn’t another pandemic like situation anyways) so even the late numbers might not seem as bad in the future. Regardless the Eagles and Hurts will restructure and they will give him another deal before any of that stuff becomes a real issue. So long as Jalen continues to play at a high level it will all work itself out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

first-time-james-franco.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

I don’t mind them putting more on him, but I’d prefer that would be more passing and less running.

• Like 1

The amount of runs doesn’t bother me. He just needs to slide and get out of bounds before taking big hits. Especially when he has a first down. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

The amount of runs doesn’t bother me. He just needs to slide and get out of bounds before taking big hits. Especially when he has a first down. 

That’s where I am. Take the runs when they’re open and available, but less of the battering Ram runs. 

27 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Agreed.  He was actually doing that most of last year until the Chicago game where he started playing Rugby for some reason.

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t mind them putting more on him, but I’d prefer that would be more passing and less running.

I think he should run a bit less and do it smarter the way he was earlier in last season with sliding, getting out of bounds, minimizing hits, etc.

But I can also understand the coach not wanting to discuss strategy of the play book.  "Yeah, we plan to reduce Hurts' run plays by 40%, so that should help defensive coordinators game plan for us each week."  :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoEagles614 said:

I don't like the hard cuts that he does at times. He needs to chill on that.

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

I know everyone hopes this is coach speak but I think he's actually telling the truth

Just hope they keep working on him going out of bounds or sliding (although we saw how he still gets hit :angry:)

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I know everyone hopes this is coach speak but I think he's actually telling the truth

Just hope they keep working on him going out of bounds or sliding (although we saw how he still gets hit :angry:)

Yeah... teams will take the cheap shots regardless to try to get him out the game.

6 hours ago, judunno said:

I don't like the hard cuts that he does at times. He needs to chill on that.

That is part of his game. Lol. Can’t take that away. 

14 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

That is part of his game. Lol. Can’t take that away. 

Great for the highlights but scares the hell out of me every time he does it.

The guy got injured by being a running QB, and missed time last year. He is a running QB 1st, pocket passer 2nd. Running QB's ALWAYS get hurt and become one dimensional. When they become one dimensional, they BETTER have developed their pocket QB skills and football brains, or all you have is The Michael Vick show, which is a QB who isn't smart, has a decent arm, has a few flashy plays, and wins.... NOTHING. As long as Hurts has elite pocket passer skills when he can't run, that's fine. But he is just an ok passer, so you better pray he never gets hurt running and can't run no mo'. The day he can't run, it's all over- unless he knows this and becomes a great pocket passing, game calling QB.

• Haha 2