EAGLES/HURTS AGREE TO 5 YEAR/$255 MILLION EXTENSION!!

SPIDER-MAN

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

The guy got injured by being a running QB, and missed time last year. He is a running QB 1st, pocket passer 2nd. Running QB's ALWAYS get hurt and become one dimensional. When they become one dimensional, they BETTER have developed their pocket QB skills and football brains, or all you have is The Michael Vick show, which is a QB who isn't smart, has a decent arm, has a few flashy plays, and wins.... NOTHING. As long as Hurts has elite pocket passer skills when he can't run, that's fine. But he is just an ok passer, so you better pray he never gets hurt running and can't run no mo'. The day he can't run, it's all over- unless he knows this and becomes a great pocket passing, game calling QB.

Vick had a great arm. Dude could sling it with a flick of his wrist

Hurts improved greatly from the pocket. He had games where he stayed in the pocket and just killed the defense

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Vick had a great arm. Dude could sling it with a flick of his wrist

Hurts improved greatly from the pocket. He had games where he stayed in the pocket and just killed the defense

I agree completely - but that guy is trolling. 

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree completely - but that guy is trolling. 

That 255 million must have crushed his soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, devpool said:

Then why ask for $255 mil lol

He said it, $255 mil is nice.

Championship is worth more than $255 mil. So if he wins one, I guess he'll be looking for a bigger paycheck? :ph34r:

19 hours ago, Talonblood said:

The guy got injured by being a running QB, and missed time last year. He is a running QB 1st, pocket passer 2nd. Running QB's ALWAYS get hurt and become one dimensional. When they become one dimensional, they BETTER have developed their pocket QB skills and football brains, or all you have is The Michael Vick show, which is a QB who isn't smart, has a decent arm, has a few flashy plays, and wins.... NOTHING. As long as Hurts has elite pocket passer skills when he can't run, that's fine. But he is just an ok passer, so you better pray he never gets hurt running and can't run no mo'. The day he can't run, it's all over- unless he knows this and becomes a great pocket passing, game calling QB.

ALL QBs get hurt. Not just running QBs. Many non-running QBs miss time because they can't throw due to injury. Hurts got hurt on a run. He also kept running (and passing) in that game after the injury. So the injury didn't make him 1-dimensional. Mahomes re-tweeked his ankle in the Super Bowl and still made key plays with his legs. 

Waahhh ... my QB wins games playing football a different way than I want him too ... waaahhh ...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Waahhh ... SOMETIMES my QB wins games playing football a different way than I want him too ... waaahhh ...

fixed.. 😁

8 hours ago, devpool said:

1 minute ago, judunno said:

That's his worth.

Find me any top 10 QB who has signed a deal in the last 2 years who had cap hits as low as Hurts does over the next 4 years.

He wants to win. This contract proves it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Find me any top 10 QB who has signed a deal in the last 2 years who had cap hits as low as Hurts does over the next 4 years.

He wants to win. This contract proves it.

Guess everyone wanted him to take a Daniel Jones like contract? Which is trash!

9 hours ago, devpool said:

He was asked about his feelings with the big contract.  He said he's very appreciative and excited, paused and said he has mixed emotions.  Then said the quote.  He's been pretty consistent in saying he wants to win.

He also was asked about the amount of years in the contract and the structure having a lower cap hit the first 2 years.  I forget exactly how he said it but he made a reference to other QBs that leave room in the cap to sign other players.  

The reality is that the top QBs in the league get huge deals. All these players are going to try and get as much money as they can.  But he's wanting to let people know that he will still be focused on winning.

I love when fans get critical of athletes making a lot of money, like you would turn down more money at your job if they thought you were a high performer.  "No boss, give me less and spend more on hiring others so the team and company can really succeed and have a great profit!"

:lol:

It's weird, because other high paid celebrities in movies, TV, music, technology and in business make lots of money and people don't have a problem with it.  They don't criticize an actor for not taking less money so they can hire other actors to be in the movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I love when fans get critical of athletes making a lot of money, like you would turn down more money at your job if they thought you were a high performer.  "No boss, give me less and spend more on hiring others so the team and company can really succeed and have a great profit!"

It's weird, because other high paid celebrities in movies, TV, music, technology and in business make lots of money and people don't have a problem with it.  They don't criticize an actor for not taking less money so they can hire other actors to be in the movie.

It's not even remotely comparable with acting or a normal job, you're being extremely obtuse. Also, people complain literally all the time about showrunners of corporations making obscene money when the actual employees make nothing.

Athletes get criticized because 2-3 players taking up a huge portion of the cap (not this team) brings down the talent level of the entire team unless the team drafts perfectly all the time. It's a much bigger issue in hockey where the cap is smaller, but it's not an insignificant problem in the NFL either. That's why Brady was applauded for taking smaller contracts throughout his career than he could've gotten, even though he also makes a ton of money from endorsements.

Idc he got paid and the structure of his contract is great for the team the next four years but it's weird to act like there's no basis for fans to comment on how much an athlete makes.

8 minutes ago, devpool said:

It's not even remotely comparable with acting or a normal job, you're being extremely obtuse. Also, people complain literally all the time about showrunners of corporations making obscene money when the actual employees make nothing.

Athletes get criticized because 2-3 players taking up a huge portion of the cap (not this team) brings down the talent level of the entire team unless the team drafts perfectly all the time. It's a much bigger issue in hockey where the cap is smaller, but it's not an insignificant problem in the NFL either. That's why Brady was applauded for taking smaller contracts throughout his career than he could've gotten, even though he also makes a ton of money from endorsements.

Idc he got paid and the structure of his contract is great for the team the next four years but it's weird to act like there's no basis for fans to comment on how much an athlete makes.

Everyone's going to comment on it, of course there is basis.  Every little detail of sports gets debated. Yeah, people have a problem with execs getting paid more than the average worker.  But you don't hear people complaining that a movie could have been better if the lead actor took a pay cut to allow them to hire other talented actors.  

Currently all the starters on offense are signed for 2 more years at least, a lot of them for 3 years.  They have a strong window.  QBs make the biggest contracts, and QB contracts have been outrageous for years.  Howie structured this contract very backloaded but also has options in several of the years where he could max out that year or keep it a lower base, giving him flexibility depending on what else he needs to do with the roster.

People panicked when they gave Cox his $100 million dollar contract and how are they going to sign other players, and in that offseason Howie signed other players as well.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Oh they do, it's just something film buffs/nerds discuss. Music is a weird one because most artists don't make a ton off album sales, as they get their money from touring, advertisements, image deals, etc. 

But I agree, I don't get the criticism for NFL contracts. They're still pretty underpaid when you compare their deals to NBA/MLB.

33 minutes ago, devpool said:

Yeah, but you're viewing these business moves as a fan, and not an owner.  I'd say many owners just care about putting out a product that will compete enough to make them tons of money and put fans in seats. Also, Tom Brady and New England shouldn't be used as an example of how players and organizations should act. We've heard the countless stories from frustrated former players, and you can't have 32 teams full of disgruntled employees, because each team can't win it all each year to make being unhappy worth it. Lastly, Brady (at the time) could be underpaid when he had a wife that was worth 3x as much as him. Tom also was addicted to winning, and I'd guess most players would rather secure their futures over winning championships. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

ALL QBs get hurt. Not just running QBs. Many non-running QBs miss time because they can't throw due to injury. Hurts got hurt on a run. He also kept running (and passing) in that game after the injury. So the injury didn't make him 1-dimensional. Mahomes re-tweeked his ankle in the Super Bowl and still made key plays with his legs. 

Waahhh ... my QB wins games playing football a different way than I want him too ... waaahhh ...

Look bird face, my point is.... is he good enough to be a pocket passer. If he is, fine. If he is not, running ain't gonna cut it for long. So go find you a big worm and suck on it. 🐛

1 hour ago, devpool said:

Brady was getting paid under the table through his foundation

28 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Look bird face, my point is.... is he good enough to be a pocket passer. If he is, fine

He is. He proved it a few times last season

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Though he's certainly trending in the right direction and played far better than I would've thought, he had a healthy team (mostly) and an easy schedule.

This is going to be an important year for him coming off of a SB loss. Im confident he can continue to progress.

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Brady was getting paid under the table through his foundation

I'll be convinced after this year. You may be right. I hope you are.

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Look bird face, my point is.... is he good enough to be a pocket passer. If he is, fine. If he is not, running ain't gonna cut it for long. So go find you a big worm and suck on it. 🐛

At what age will he not be able to run anymore? I'm just really impressed by how you rationalize an argument that it's better to be 1-dimensional so you don't get hurt and ... become 1-dimensional. Look at Purdy. A passing QB that couldn't throw. What did his offense do at that point? Thanks, but I'll stick with a QB that can win games in multiple ways. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

At what age will he not be able to run anymore? I'm just really impressed by how you rationalize an argument that it's better to be 1-dimensional so you don't get hurt and ... become 1-dimensional. Look at Purdy. A passing QB that couldn't throw. What did his offense do at that point? Thanks, but I'll stick with a QB that can win games in multiple ways. 

I really don’t get, after last year, why people still don’t think hurts can win from the pocket. The leap he made from year two to year three in terms of his accuracy and reading of a defense was insane. And there’sa good chance he improves in those aspects again this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Not a prob.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

No to mention the owners themselves make billions of dollars yet no one even blinks an eye about it.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really don’t get, after last year, why people still don’t think hurts can win from the pocket. The leap he made from year two to year three in terms of his accuracy and reading of a defense was insane. And there’sa good chance he improves in those aspects again this year.

I certainly believe Hurts can win games in a variety of ways, but I do believe that the Eagles need to find themselves a legitimate running back to take some of the pressure off Jalen to do everything especially in the run game. Why do people feel like most backs are a dime a dozen? Because after they’re run into the ground for about three seasons they tend to wear down. Jalen is on a breakneck quarterback rush pace that I am concerned could wear him down. Now does that mean because he runs less his career will be longer? Truth be told not really. There’s plenty of drop back traditional quarterbacks who had very short career like Troy Aikman and Andrew Luck. Injuries are a part of football for sure but the Eagles owe it to themselves to find a better running option to minimize the risks on Jalen’s body. 

• Like 1