**Official 76ers 2023-2024 Season Thread**

mr_hunt

8 minutes ago, TV Guy said:

Less than 3 months until the Birds report to training camp...

:phil:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HazletonEagle

• DaEagles4Life

• e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

• Khani1

34 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

McBride outscored the bench himself 13 - 6

Bojan would have helped, but saving assets for the summer.

I just dont get saving assets and having Embiid come back not fully healthy. If Embiid says he wants to play this year then you do everything you can to build around him this year, not wait for the summer. Morey can make a splash trade, even though his splashes for the Sixers sucked, but damn he is terrible at bringing in guys around the fringes to fill out a roster. 

I don’t think the Sixers believed Buddy Hield would be nearly as atrocious as he’s been. That should have been a solid pick up and likely a nice bench piece that could give you 8-10 points routinely. And maybe even catch fire one game and be a difference maker.He’s not even playable anymore.

Think about this, melton hasn’t played much of the second half of the season, has a bad back issue and they asked him to come out there for like seven minutes and Buddy got zero. If Buddy hield was just average this series, then the bench doesn’t look nearly as bad. But he has been absolutely atrocious when he’s been out there.

The issue really becomes the Sixers weren’t gonna deviate from their plan. Their plan last off-season was to get the 2024 and have all that flexibility to build a title contending roster. If Embiid was healthy at the trade deadline I think your point has more validity to it about going all in on this year considering where they were before his injury. Since he wasn’t i don’t think they’d were willing to risk their 2024 offseason for just the hope that he came back fully healthy for the playoffs. And frankly he’s not as he has the knee still bothering him and Bell’s palsy going on. Granted, if they made more moves they might not be in the position of being the seven seed right now. But then again watching them i never felt they were a title contender as i don’t think they are capable of beating the Celtics to get out of the East. I think they are good enough to beat the Knicks if the bench was completely inept and frankly the bench should be better with guys like batum, melton, hield. Really their center spot blows as Reed isn’t good for this type of series and bamba is not good  

Buddy hield making 23.5 mil per year to score 1 basket and zero 3s in 4 games. 

Tobias Harris making $39.2 mil this year to average 8.75 ppg in this series 

• Like 1

0 for 10 their on their final FGA. This team is the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA. Like clockwork just fall apart every year. 

10 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The issue is Harris

Butler would have meant a championship or two

• Like 2

I'm just disgusted with the team but more with their management/coaches and really the NBA.  

At some point he will take blame. It is always everyone but Embiid. Not shooting 7 for 19 had anything to do with it. 

• Confused 1

he didn't blame the crowd for the loss. a reporter asked him about the crowd so he answered the question. 

og & hart combined for 31 rebounds & 6 blocks yesterday. oubre & tobi combined for 11 reb & 1 block.  :unsure:  

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Joel even when healthy, is not emotionally stable enough to win a championship. With adversity, his play suffers. He either tries to rush it or just doesn’t have the mindset where he can calmly get them back in the game. He has to try to make up for whatever it was (lost a lead, bad or no call, etc) immediately and when that doesn’t work, he gets even more frustrated. He can never persevere.  If he just allowed himself to remain in the flow of the game, most of the time, he would get the last laugh because he is the best player on the court. But he just doesn’t have IT.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Joel even when healthy, is not emotionally stable enough to win a championship. With adversity, his play suffers. He either tries to rush it or just doesn’t have the mindset where he can calmly get them back in the game. He has to try to make up for whatever it was (lost a lead, bad or no call, etc) immediately and when that doesn’t work, he gets even more frustrated. He can never persevere.  If he just allowed himself to remain in the flow of the game, most of the time, he would get the last laugh because he is the best player on the court. But he just doesn’t have IT.

yeah...he's super immature. any time a guy gets the best of him..dunks on him...whatever...embiid immediately goes into spaz mode & barrels down the court out of control for either a turnover or charge. he's done it for years. it's who he is. maybe he'll luck into a ring later in his career as a 3rd option but he's not mentally strong enough to lead a team to a chip as the alpha dog. 

one of the all-time great sixers...but not really built to win championships. 

• Like 2

Jalen Brunson has a player option after the 2024-2025 season :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

he didn't blame the crowd for the loss. a reporter asked him about the crowd so he answered the question. 

Yup, and he isn't wrong with what he did say. It's game 4 to tie the series and the season ticket holders sold off their tickets allowing Knicks fans to flood into the arena. 

34 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

He was doing this from the jump trying to force things. He was the most dominant player on the court in the first quarter and it wasn't close.

I do feel bad for him though, he played the entire 2nd half because Paul Reed is clearly not up to it in this series. He was gassed and needed a break considering he normally struggles to play that many minutes, let alone coming off the long layoff with the knee

When he did get the ball in the last quarter he was double and triple teamed pretty quickly, made the pass to an open player and it would result in a botched dunk/layup, a fumble or a wide open shot they would miss. No one was on the same page and it was frustrating. Maxey had a number of wide open shots and couldn't make them

Nurse needed to get Lowry out of there late in the game, he was a liability since his man was more often than not getting the offensive board for the Knicks. He somehow managed an offensive board, but then there was the intentional miss that no one other than Lowry knew about :facepalm:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Jalen Brunson has a player option after the 2024-2025 season :ph34r:

:lol:

joel has 2 years left on his deal...then a player option for a 3rd. so i imagine they'll go after old guys (like paul george) who fit into that 2-3 year window. maybe the suns will blow it up & they can get KD...or maybe 40 year old bron if the sixers draft his kid. :lol:  i fully expect them to get old af this offseason. yay? 

1 minute ago, Mat said:

When he did get the ball in the last quarter he was double and triple teamed pretty quickly, made the pass to an open player and it would result in a botched dunk/layup, a fumble or a wide open shot they would miss. 

it's taken a while for joel to get to this point against double teams. he can finally at least manage to pass out of them w/o turning the ball over every time. it would be nice if they could punish defenses for doubling him...but they're not there yet & might never get there. 

this is where joel's late start to playing basketball hurts him. he didn't grow up with the sport & doesn't have those instincts. 

8 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Butler would have meant a championship or two

If they kept bridges and butler they be set up much much better. Probably at least get one 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

it's taken a while for joel to get to this point against double teams. he can finally at least manage to pass out of them w/o turning the ball over every time. it would be nice if they could punish defenses for doubling him...but they're not there yet & might never get there. 

this is where joel's late start to playing basketball hurts him. he didn't grow up with the sport & doesn't have those instincts. 

He has been great this year at finding the open guy with his passing. In previous years he would be close to double digit turnovers in some of these situations. The two late ones that stick out are the Oubre one where Oubre fumbled what would have been an open dunk out of bounds and the Batum one where he was blocked by Hart when he attempted to dunk. Both were perfect passes and the guys weren't able to make the easy play. 

45 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

yeah...he's super immature. any time a guy gets the best of him..dunks on him...whatever...embiid immediately goes into spaz mode & barrels down the court out of control for either a turnover or charge. he's done it for years. it's who he is. maybe he'll luck into a ring later in his career as a 3rd option but he's not mentally strong enough to lead a team to a chip as the alpha dog. 

one of the all-time great sixers...but not really built to win championships. 

He may not be built to win a championship. However, the 76ers ownership, and front office has screwed him and the team over in literally every chance they’ve gotten to build a championship roster around him. To me the bigger reason of why the Sixers aren’t even close to a title is the fact that every time the Sixers could make a move that would help him and the team they made moves that Fing hurt them. from letting Jimmy Butler walk, trading bridges, signing Al Horford and Harris, trading for James Harden, drafting fultz, and so on and so forth.

Embiid may have never won a title with the Sixers even if they made the right moves, but they’ve made so many bad moves that I don’t think there’s a chance that they were ever gonna win one. Maybe in the 2024 off-season with all the cap and assets they do. But I find it really hard to believe in organization that’s constantly screwed up is finally good to get it right.

• Like 2

Thibodeau made a great adjustment staying with Achiuwa as well. He had the lateral quickness to keep Embiid in front of him, was for more athletic allowing them to double him more effectively and had a bit of spring in his step on the offensive glass. Embiid was exerting far more on the defensive end and was already gassed. Embiid was killing Hartenstein on the perimeter in the third to get him into foul trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

tobias singlehandedly taking up 30% of the 76ers' salary cap for the past few years. :nonono:  i really don't wanna watch on tuesday because i think they get blown out...but i have to watch tobi's final game as a sixer! :worthy:  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

tobias singlehandedly taking up 30% of the 76ers' salary cap for the past few years. :nonono:  i really don't wanna watch on tuesday because i think they get blown out...but i have to watch tobi's final game as a sixer! :worthy:  

To be honest, they’re either gonna get blown out or they’re gonna do the most Sixer thing of all time and somehow get to a game seven and then lose it in the most painful fashion.

The sad thing is that they dominate vs the Knicks, Embiid goes off and they bring it back to a manageable situation or lose their double digit lead. If they could just break even in the minutes Embiid was off the floor the series looks completely different. If the bench or just about anyone can step up and produce something, they could win the next two games. They haven't done it in 3 of the previous 4 games so it would be hard to see them suddenly do it now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mat said:

The sad thing is that they dominate vs the Knicks, Embiid goes off and they bring it back to a manageable situation or lose their double digit lead. If they could just break even in the minutes Embiid was off the floor the series looks completely different. If the bench or just about anyone can step up and produce something, they could win the next two games. They haven't done it in 3 of the previous 4 games so it would be hard to see them suddenly do it now. 

The rebounding hasn’t been good in the series, but really the biggest issue in the series has been the on court Embiid minutes and the off court embiid minutes. +34 with him on court and -37 with him off. That’s 71 point differential. That’s ridiculously bad. Like you said if they were just even or average with him off the court, this series looks entirely different. But since the Sixers are so inept with him not on the court, they’re gonna wind up losing the series. When it goes from a 12 point lead to basically tied within 3-4 minutes of him on the bench, that is a massive problem.  nurse has to try something different tomorrow night. I would try to rest him two minutes each quarter. Finding two minutes. Because if you’re going to try to extend it to four or five minutes with him off the court, you are going to get the same results you have.