**Official 76ers 2023-2024 Season Thread**

mr_hunt

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t disagree but based off sixers recent history if they use the pick they are gonna take a swing on a young kid with high upside if they are going use the draft pick. Can let him develop down in the g league. I dont think  they use 26/29 tbh. I tend to think they pick in a future drafts with a second or trade for multiple second rounders. then i think those guys make a lot more sense. 

With new CBA I would bet you see more teams trying to get back into the 2nd half of the first round. You control a guy's rights for 5 years vs 2 for a 2nd rounder. 

Grizzlies are paying Bane 3.8 million because drafted him 30th in the draft a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

its also a guaranteed contract as a first rounder. I don’t think the sixers want guaranteed money on a rookie and it’s why they prefer second round picks as they don’t have to be guaranteed at all 

But if you get a Reaves or Draymond situation then you are Fed. Most 2nd rounders are only doing 2 year deals now knowing the possibility for more money quicker. 

They are 4/10 for back end of the 1st, literally near the minimum for vets. 

51 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

But if you get a Reeves or Draymond situation then you are Fed. Most 2nd rounders are only doing 2 year deals now knowing the possibility for more money quicker. 

They are 4/10 for back end of the 1st, literally near the minimum for vets. 

That’s fine. What are the odds you find a bane, draymond or reeves at 30 and identify him and pick him? Sixers were picking 28 and took springer as he was high upside player who’s still super young. That seems to be what they target picking late in the first draft. That was the logic behind maxey who was really young and had upside (normal June draft he was 19)

the contract is guaranteed the first two years minimum which is 2.1 and 2.3 mil against the cap first two years (watson was last year). At this point in time, i dont see the sixers with their current cap situation wanting to be guaranteeing a rookie 2 years minimum and hoping they become that player with a roster that there’s a good chance he’s buried on the depth chart. I’d think if they do select it’s likely a kid like springer or maxey young guy who’s athletic who’s likely not ready right away but can be developed in the g league. I think due to the cap ramifications they much rather take that chance in the second round on a non guaranteed contract even if it hurts them down the road if they become bane or green. use the little money saved elsewhere. Seems like a morey staple unless he’s forced to pick and he takes a kid like springer (heck even when they picked him were rumors they were trying to trade out of the pick) 

last decade of 30th overall picks 

peyton watson 

Santi aldama

Desmond bane

Kevin Porter jr. 

Omari spellman 

Josh hart 

Damian jones 

Kyle Anderson 

Nemaja Nedović 

Festus ezeli 

obviously bane, Porter jr, hart and Anderson were worth it. Throw in ezeli. So basically 50-50 chance over the last decade they become something major. So sixers could wait a pick and not be locked into a guaranteed contract. They don’t get the 5 years potentially but they also don’t want to be locked into a 2.1 and 2.3 mil guaranteed with the cap situation they are currently in especially if the player doesn’t pan out or likely get the minutes. Like i said earlier bunch of rumors they didn’t want to stay at 28 when they selected springer and basically had too. I’m guessing morey  trades whatever 1st he gets 

I don’t really disagreed with your premise or even the potential value. I just think Morey and sixers won’t view it that way

if they're trying to get a pick in the 40's...which is rumored....it's pretty much a player for the post-embiid/harden era.  :lol:  

47 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

if they're trying to get a pick in the 40's...which is rumored....it's pretty much a player for the post-embiid/harden era.  :lol:  

It could be a for a low ceiling but high floor player who’s older coming out. That said, if they somehow get a first round pick, that’s late in the first round by trading Tobias Harris, the Sixers have shown with mid to late first round picks (21-30) since morey has come into the fold is to go after young but high upside players. Not the older college kids that could be solid role players. Don’t think morey picked maxey and springer cause doc asked. 

Curious of what the definition of team friendly means in all this

13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Curious of what the definition of team friendly means in all this

yeah probably still way too much.

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah probably still way too much.

I’d be fine with 2 years 70-75 mil cause at least after 2023-24 he becomes an expiring contract that can be moved. If it’s 3 years it’s a year too long. Meaning you are stuck with him for at least 2 if it fails. 

46 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d be fine with 2 years 70-75 mil cause at least after 2023-24 he becomes an expiring contract that can be moved. If it’s 3 years it’s a year too long. Meaning you are stuck with him for at least 2 if it fails. 

I dont want it to be that much money. But I agree on years. 

35 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I dont want it to be that much money. But I agree on years. 

I wouldn’t either. Ideally I’d be happier at 20-25 but i don’t see that happening. Just my guess what it’s gonna be around though 

16 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s fine. What are the odds you find a bane, draymond or reeves at 30 and identify him and pick him? Sixers were picking 28 and took springer as he was high upside player who’s still super young. That seems to be what they target picking late in the first draft. That was the logic behind maxey who was really young and had upside (normal June draft he was 19)

the contract is guaranteed the first two years minimum which is 2.1 and 2.3 mil against the cap first two years (watson was last year). At this point in time, i dont see the sixers with their current cap situation wanting to be guaranteeing a rookie 2 years minimum and hoping they become that player with a roster that there’s a good chance he’s buried on the depth chart. I’d think if they do select it’s likely a kid like springer or maxey young guy who’s athletic who’s likely not ready right away but can be developed in the g league. I think due to the cap ramifications they much rather take that chance in the second round on a non guaranteed contract even if it hurts them down the road if they become bane or green. use the little money saved elsewhere. Seems like a morey staple unless he’s forced to pick and he takes a kid like springer (heck even when they picked him were rumors they were trying to trade out of the pick) 

last decade of 30th overall picks 

peyton watson 

Santi aldama

Desmond bane

Kevin Porter jr. 

Omari spellman 

Josh hart 

Damian jones 

Kyle Anderson 

Nemaja Nedović 

Festus ezeli 

obviously bane, Porter jr, hart and Anderson were worth it. Throw in ezeli. So basically 50-50 chance over the last decade they become something major. So sixers could wait a pick and not be locked into a guaranteed contract. They don’t get the 5 years potentially but they also don’t want to be locked into a 2.1 and 2.3 mil guaranteed with the cap situation they are currently in especially if the player doesn’t pan out or likely get the minutes. Like i said earlier bunch of rumors they didn’t want to stay at 28 when they selected springer and basically had too. I’m guessing morey  trades whatever 1st he gets 

I don’t really disagreed with your premise or even the potential value. I just think Morey and sixers won’t view it that way

Santi Aldama also starts or is the 6th/7th man off the bench. Is a reason good teams want picks that late in the 1st round. 

And this is were Morey logic is flawed. Montrezl is making 2.6 million last year and 2.6 this year because he has a player option. Guys 10 thru 15 should not be just old vets that don't play in the playoffs and just eat salary. Sixers had 7th oldest roster in the league last year and that isn't going to change. Teams can't run one cycle at a time with Embiid/Harden then say oh they are now old and now what do we do. You have to continue to stay young and develop talent. Drafting 20 year olds with no real discerning skill like Springer every year and hope they have the work ethic to get better isn't sustainable. 

Yeah, agree that Morey doesn't value picks and look what happened to the Rockets once they ran out of assets/picks he couldn't trade the team fell off a cliff and he bolted. If I had to bet, that will happen to the Sixers as well and already teetering on the cliff.  

Windhorst said don't count out Philly for Dame if he asks out. Don't have the ammo for him but basically doing him a favor. 

Apparently Mike Scott is going to play in The Basketball Tournament for Floyd Maythers The Money Team.

3 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Santi Aldama also starts or is the 6th/7th man off the bench. Is a reason good teams want picks that late in the 1st round. 

And this is were Morey logic is flawed. Montrezl is making 2.6 million last year and 2.6 this year because he has a player option. Guys 10 thru 15 should not be just old vets that don't play in the playoffs and just eat salary. Sixers had 7th oldest roster in the league last year and that isn't going to change. Teams can't run one cycle at a time with Embiid/Harden then say oh they are now old and now what do we do. You have to continue to stay young and develop talent. Drafting 20 year olds with no real discerning skill like Springer every year and hope they have the work ethic to get better isn't sustainable. 

Yeah, agree that Morey doesn't value picks and look what happened to the Rockets once they ran out of assets/picks he couldn't trade the team fell off a cliff and he bolted. If I had to bet, that will happen to the Sixers as well and already teetering on the cliff.  

i don’t hate your take and it makes sense for a better run franchise. My argument is more on how the sixers are going to view it and what they’ll say/do. I just figure that’s what they are gonna look at and do cause it’s Morey’s/sixers MO. They should do that. knowing morey and the sixers, they won’t. They’ll trade away a late first to try and get a second (maybe future picks) where it’s not guaranteed or take a springer type if they can’t deal it. It’s why the sixers are a poorly run franchise. Heck they actually had a nice role player they drafted in joe in the second but never played him and now he looks solid with Okc. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

$h!t that should’ve been said 2-3 years ago for $1000 Alex. Feel like a good chance he ends up on miami. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

$h!t that should’ve been said 2-3 years ago for $1000 Alex. Feel like a good chance he ends up on miami. 

We will definitely see on Thursday if they pick Scoot or not. I am still a bit flabbergasted that the Hornets are taking Miller and reasoning being he fits better. Scoot is 1st pick last year and probably next year's drsft but let's draft a guy that was 39% FG at finishing at the rim

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

We will definitely see on Thursday if they pick Scoot or not. I am still a bit flabbergasted that the Hornets are taking Miller and reasoning being he fits better. Scoot is 1st pick last year and probably next year's drsft but let's draft a guy that was 39% FG at finishing at the rim

Jordan coming through with one last stupid decision before he sells away the majority stake in the hornets. I’d go scoot. Imo better player and more upside. and i don’t have the crap miller did or didn’t do off the court. 

tbh for the blazers they should take scoot if there. Shape, scoot and what they get for lillard might long term make them into a title contender. That’s the smarter way to go. Pollard has 2-3 year left and not sure even if you trade 3 you get the guy next to him that gets you to be better than the nuggets, suns, lakers and warriors (assuming they keep draymond) 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Guessing Smart or Brodgen and Robert Williams 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Guessing Smart or Brodgen and Robert Williams 

My guess is brogdon and Williams. There’s been a ton of rumors about brogdon and them trying to unload him 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

that would really help boston. they'd still have guard depth with smart, brown & white....and porzingis is a huge upgrade over old man horford bricking threes.