**Official 76ers 2023-2024 Season Thread**

mr_hunt

Just now, vikas83 said:

I've decided I'm all in on the idea of hiring Nick Nurse. Someone who can actually make in game adjustments would be nice.

I've also resigned myself to the fact that we are getting MDA + Harden. 

This is exactly where I am too. 

I think they go all in with Harden, MDA, and Embiid while moving Maxey and Tobey's contract for another old vet who fits with them, like Demar Derozan, then finally blow it up in a year or two when it likely fails again.

Just now, iladelphxx said:

he definitely did. hell, they catered the entire offence to getting embiid the mvp. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

he definitely did. hell, they catered the entire offence to getting embiid the mvp. 

Pretty obvious. Had Morey whining for him on social media, him saying how much he wants it, playing back to backs for no reason. 

Yet somehow he hasn't gotten a lot of backlash compared to Doc and Harden. When in reality, he throws teammates under the bus and doesn't show up when it matters most. 

42 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I've decided I'm all in on the idea of hiring Nick Nurse. Someone who can actually make in game adjustments would be nice.

I've also resigned myself to the fact that we are getting MDA + Harden. 

Tim legler thinks nurse is the best candidate for the job due to his attention to detail. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They are really creative on how they use Jokic. Embiid needs to be more of a playmaker when he did those pass offs to Redick a few years ago 

this play is a perfect example.

who's making that cut on the sixers?  nobody.

they stand around the 3 point line when embiid gets doubled. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

This is exactly where I am too. 

I think they go all in with Harden, MDA, and Embiid while moving Maxey and Tobey's contract for another old vet who fits with them, like Demar Derozan, then finally blow it up in a year or two when it likely fails again.

If they trade maxey for derozan I’d lose it. That’s an awful trade as he’s about to be 34 and really now you have two 34 year olds that you are relying on. Only positive with derozan is he’s an expiring contract so at the end of the year they clear cap space. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If they trade maxey for derozan I’d lose it. That’s an awful trade as he’s about to be 34 and really now you have two 34 year olds that you are relying on. Only positive with derozan is he’s an expiring contract so at the end of the year they clear cap space. 

I don't like it either but it just seems to fit the shorter sighted moves they've made.

• Sad 1

with portland likely to draft scoot at #3, does that make lillard available?  

6 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

this play is a perfect example.

who's making that cut on the sixers?  nobody.

they stand around the 3 point line when embiid gets doubled. 

The nuggets have done a great job building that roster around jokic. Jokić is obviously one of the best players in the league and won the mvp twice for a reason. However that lineup fits so much better together than the sixers. Murray being what he once was makes them a title contender.

Harris and tucker are really not good fits around embiid and harden (frankly don’t care about harden cause he’s washed and only can give you 2 maybe 3 games per series). Tucker is a good player to have on your team but really he and Harris shouldn’t be playing in the same lineup. Heck even the butler team it wasn’t a good fit with all 5. Jj, butler and embiid worked. However simmons as point guard didnt and Harris wasn’t good enough as a stretch 4 wasn’t ideal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I don't like it either but it just seems to fit the shorter sighted moves they've made.

If they did that they might as well just blow it up. Cause that team isn’t winning anything or getting by Boston either. 

like I am 100% fine if they choose to trade Tyrese Maxey. Cause I think the only way if you bring back James Harden and Embiid that you’re gonna win a title is if you trade away Tobias Harris and get some players who are role guys. But you’d have to trade Tyrese Maxey to get yourself another star. As much as I like Damian Lillard, I don’t think Damian Lillard and James Harden mesh well. I mean I’m sure they’d try it though it thatboption were available however don’t think maxey and whatever the sixers can offer is remotely enough 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If they did that they might as well just blow it up. Cause that team isn’t winning anything or getting by Boston either. 

like I am 100% fine if they choose to trade Tyrese Maxey. Cause I think the only way if you bring back James Harden and Embiid that you’re gonna win a title is if you trade away Tobias Harris and get some players who are role guys. But you’d have to trade Tyrese Maxey to get yourself another star. As much as I like Damian Lillard, I don’t think Damian Lillard and James Harden mesh well. I mean I’m sure they’d try it though it thatboption were available however don’t think maxey and whatever the sixers can offer is remotely enough 

You can't have Lillard and Harden on the court at the same time, unless you're trying to win every game 140-135. The only way we can go after Lillard is to move Harden to HOU (sign and trade), send Harris and Maxey to Portland for Lillard, and then build around the Embiid + Lillard pairing. I'm not sure I love the idea, but Lillard is the best bet to pair with Embiid to win in this window.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

You can't have Lillard and Harden on the court at the same time, unless you're trying to win every game 140-135. The only way we can go after Lillard is to move Harden to HOU (sign and trade), send Harris and Maxey to Portland for Lillard, and then build around the Embiid + Lillard pairing. I'm not sure I love the idea, but Lillard is the best bet to pair with Embiid to win in this window.

I agree but I'm concerned that we have so few draft assets that if there is any competition at all for Lillard, we are going to get outbid by the other team.  We don't have much else besides Maxey and Tobey's contract to trade.

4 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I don’t disagree with you. That’s why I said Harden and Lillard don’t mesh well. You basically would have to just be out scoring everybody every night because you wouldn’t be getting any stops. 

The issue is if Harden goes to the Rockets, he has no reason to do a sign and trade. The Rockets have the cap to just outright sign him and the rockets owner hates morey so he is unlikely to help him out. Also for harden, why hurt your new team to help his old team that he no longer cares about cause he’s leaving. Add on the 76ers can only offer him a 4 year max due to the league rule about his age being 38 by the time he’s done with the fourth year of the contract. So the Sixers can’t even offer him the 5 year max that would give them the advantage over Houston. Added into all this there’s no state tax in Houston. so it makes a whole lot more sense if Harden only cares about money to go to Houston. 

oh, it would definitely have to be harden OR lillard. that pairing would be a disaster. :lol:  

anyway, morey's press conference starts in just under 30 minutes...and i'm sure he'll clear this all up by telling us their plans. 

I am in the camp of trade Embiid while his value is high. I don't think the Sixers the assets to lure a Dame to Philly so you are stuck with the same version of this with a new coach. Harden who is scared in big moments and Embiid a whiner, and a guy that cares about himself over the team. 

I have said I don't think you can win a championship with a lumbering big man who still can't pass out of a double, falls over 8 times a game, always someone else's fault but his own, can't trust him to stay healthy, is 30 next March, and most importantly underperforms over and over in big games. 

1 minute ago, Shepard Wong said:

I agree but I'm concerned that we have so few draft assets that if there is any competition at all for Lillard, we are going to get outbid by the other team.  We don't have much else besides Maxey and Tobey's contract to trade.

Lillard is a pipe dream. They don’t have the assets to make it work. Unless lillard just demands to go to Philly and no where else. Unfortunately i think Miami would be in play. As well as the Knicks (don’t think he and Brunson are great fits either). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I am in the camp of trade Embiid while his value is high. I don't think the Sixers the assets to lure a Dame to Philly so you are stuck with the same version of this with a new coach. Harden who is scared in big moments and Embiid a whiner, and a guy that cares about himself over the team. 

I have said I don't think you can win a championship with a lumbering big man who still can't pass out of a double, falls over 8 times a game, always someone else's fault but his own, can't trust him to stay healthy, is 30 next March, and most importantly underperforms over and over in big games. 

does josh harris even care about winning a championship...or is he satisfied with embiid filling seats & making him $$$? 

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

does josh harris even care about winning a championship...or is he satisfied with embiid filling seats & making him $$$? 

It’s the $$$. It’s a big reason why he went under the luxury tax at the deadline. He made $16 mil off that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

Thank goodness for Lurie

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

This article (https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2023/05/16/the-phoenix-suns-could-give-the-sixers-a-james-harden-lifeline/?sh=671d54fe396a) made a compelling argument that if you a sign and trade with Harden to the Suns and take back CP3, the end of next year you would have Tobias Harris‘s money and CP3 coming off the books to where you would have a ton of cap space to go get yourself another star in for agency

For the Sixers, Paul could be a stopgap ahead of a potentially pivotal 2024 offseason. His $30 million salary for the 2024-25 season is fully non-guaranteed until late June 2024, so the Sixers could clear both him and Tobias Harris' $39.3 million salary off their books simultaneously. Depending on what other moves they make this offseason—particularly whether they sign Tyrese Maxey to a big-money extension—they could have a max-contract slot next summer

The issue is the best player that is likely to be an available in free agency if he doesn’t sign an extension is Jaylen Brown. The odds you are going to convince Jaylen Brown to come to Philly And him not to sign a five-year Max contract extension with the Celtics is very unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Thank goodness for Lurie

Middleton actually is willing to spend money to make the Phillies competitive and good. The Phillies issue this year is everyone on the team is seemingly getting hurt, losing Rhys for the year is actually hurting the lineup more than we thought and nola/wheeler haven’t been close to what they’ve been in the past. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This article (https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2023/05/16/the-phoenix-suns-could-give-the-sixers-a-james-harden-lifeline/?sh=671d54fe396a) made a compelling argument that if you a sign and trade with Harden to the Suns and take back CP3, the end of next year you would have Tobias Harris‘s money and CP3 coming off the books to where you would have a ton of cap space to go get yourself another star in for agency

For the Sixers, Paul could be a stopgap ahead of a potentially pivotal 2024 offseason. His $30 million salary for the 2024-25 season is fully non-guaranteed until late June 2024, so the Sixers could clear both him and Tobias Harris' $39.3 million salary off their books simultaneously. Depending on what other moves they make this offseason—particularly whether they sign Tyrese Maxey to a big-money extension—they could have a max-contract slot next summer

The issue is the best player that is likely to be an available in free agency if he doesn’t sign an extension is Jaylen Brown. The odds you are going to convince Jaylen Brown to come to Philly And him not to sign a five-year Max contract extension with the Celtics is very unlikely. 

Made a fake trade of that the other day 

Screenshot_20230516-105416.png

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Made a fake trade of that the other day 

Screenshot_20230516-105416.png

The only question I’d have here is does taking dort back in the deal prevent you from opening up a max slot spot in 2024. 

From Kyle neubeck of the inquirer:

That initial high and the title run shouldn't be sneezed at, but Budenholzer has faced heavy criticism for things like rigidity in style, strange rotation choices, and an inability to counterpunch when other coaches pull out adjustments. If it sounds a lot like the problems Doc Rivers has had in the playoffs, you might be onto something. 

also didn’t know nurse and morey have some history together:

He's also got some history with Morey, for whatever that's worth, with Nurse a graduate of Houston's G-League team that essentially operated as a science experiment for the big club. I suspect that Nurse and Morey would be a pretty seamless fit as envelope pushers.