Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Doesn't dress Jimmy G going against the best DL in the NFL last year

or imaginary Phillip Rivers

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

:offtopic:Is Adam Caplan auditioning for something dodgy?

image.png.5b6ed75e95b813d800923842b9b5e3e1.png

That's the best I've ever seen Caplan look

38 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

My question is -- what are you getting for Murray this offseason? The good news is that he only has 1 year of guarantees left in 2024, so the contract isn't onerous. But I can't see anyone giving up a 1st for a guy who's shown very little, and is a mobile QB coming off an injury. Maybe you get a 3rd?

If I’ve learned anything over my years of watching the NFL, there is always at least one team willing to roll the dice on a talented but disappointing QB. They’re like girls who think they can "fix him.”

Sometimes, like with AR and Vick, it even works.

I don’t know if they could get a 1st, but probably a package equal to a first. Call it a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a player or other future draft pick.

4 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

:offtopic:Is Adam Caplan auditioning for something dodgy?

image.png.5b6ed75e95b813d800923842b9b5e3e1.png

It’s a fluid situation 

1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

That's the best I've ever seen Caplan look

I did a double take it was just a clip on Twitter.  I thought he went for the full Fu Manchu initially

23 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

it's SORTA true

One set are DEs,  the other set are OLBs.   They both line up on the DL,  the OLBs are smaller.

Last year,  Sweat, Cox, Hargrave, Reddick were the starting 4 DL, or got the most snaps.
This year, maybe Sweat, Cox, Williams, Reddick get the most snaps.  But maybe Davis gets more snaps than Cox or something,  maybe more Carter than Williams.

Carter will probably be our best "traditional” (not Reddick) DL by the end of the year. I don’t know what they plan on as far as rotation goes, but I have to think Carter is going to get a LOT of snaps.

@TEW sometimes that guy is Jim Plunkett or Steve Young. Sometimes that guy is Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen. Sometimes he's Nick Foles.

The evaluation process does not end on draft day. High level NFL starting QB is a tough gig.

7 minutes ago, TEW said:

If I’ve learned anything over my years of watching the NFL, there is always at least one team willing to roll the dice on a talented but disappointing QB. They’re like girls who think they can "fix him.”

Sometimes, like with AR and Vick, it even works.

I don’t know if they could get a 1st, but probably a package equal to a first. Call it a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a player or other future draft pick.

Wait a minute. We all seem to agree that using a first rounder on a RB is a bad investment. You seem to be arguing that a team will invest that, or its equivalent, AND pay him big bucks?

Not me. A conditional third and a player is as high as I go. I view Bijan differently because you get him for five years on a rookie contract, not a one-year rental.

Of course what you're saying is that somebody may be stupid enough to pay the asking price.

Just now, SkippyX said:

@TEW sometimes that guy is Jim Plunkett or Steve Young. Sometimes that guy is Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen. Sometimes he's Nick Foles.

The evaluation process does not end on draft day. High level NFL starting QB is a tough gig.

Agreed.

But usually it’s a special situation. Young was really smart, hard working, talented, and willing to sit behind Montana.

Vick destroyed his life, got a second chance, and obviously took it to heart that he needed to make the most of it.

Murray seems to me to be closer to pre dog fighting Vick, at least in mentality. He hasn’t had his "come to Jesus” moment.

3 minutes ago, just relax said:

Wait a minute. We all seem to agree that using a first rounder on a RB is a bad investment. You seem to be arguing that a team will invest that, or its equivalent, AND pay him big bucks?

Not me. A conditional third and a player is as high as I go. I view Bijan differently because you get him for five years on a rookie contract, not a one-year rental.

Of course what you're saying is that somebody may be stupid enough to pay the asking price.

Exactly.

Theres always a sucker out there.

Personally I’m fine with reclamation projects at QB, assuming you already have a starter and have future optionality.

My issue with Murray is I don’t see what would make him change on a personal level. He hasn’t had any consequences for wasting his talent. If he gets traded to be a starter somewhere else, what has he learned?

6 minutes ago, just relax said:

I bet it'll be a second

27 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

The players who need the reps are WRs and TEs on the bubble.

Mariota is better to throw to those backups than Book.

The Eagles wouldn't be putting Mariota out there in order to see what Mariota can do.  He started last year 4-4 with the Falcons.  If Mariota is out there in a regular season game,  the Eagles would likely run a lot, and Mariota would run a good bit.  But in the preseason,  the Eagles aren't trying to show what Mariota plus a lot of running would look like. 

I'd like to see what Mariota to Tyree Jackson looks like.  And have McKee throwing to Calcaterra.  The Eagles have the better idea right now about who is going to make the 53, not us. 

I'd like to see things like - Nolan Smith running the ball as TE2.  VanSumeren running the ball as TE2.  Fullbacks, basically, Jim Brown sized Fullbacks,  but listed under TE2,  versatile back,  miscellaneous back.   But I wouldn't be betting that happens.

Image result for wut

13 minutes ago, TEW said:

Agreed.

But usually it’s a special situation. Young was really smart, hard working, talented, and willing to sit behind Montana.

Vick destroyed his life, got a second chance, and obviously took it to heart that he needed to make the most of it.

Murray seems to me to be closer to pre dog fighting Vick, at least in mentality. He hasn’t had his "come to Jesus” moment.

I was watching Vick highlights last night and his arm strength was just out of this world. He would flick his wrist and ball would go 50 yards

@TEW Jerrah would probably love to bring in Murray but Dak's cap anchor or the salary cap crater of moving on from Dak would make that a really tough maneuver.

16 minutes ago, TEW said:

Agreed.

I'm of the belief that Vick likely could have had a ring or multiple rings if he took the game more seriously when he was younger. He didn't work on the mental aspect until it was too late

6 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Agreed.  Book is terrible.   And if Mariota comes in... this team might become a Single Wing offense and just turn the clock back 100 years on offensive football.  We'll see the US Military Academy offense each week.   And, with this OL and this stable of RBs... it just might win enough to keep the ship afloat.   But asking him to throw the ball more than 10-15 times a game would be flirting with disaster.

Disaster is a strong word.   It's not like Mariota didn't win some games when he threw the ball a lot.  And I don't think we're talking triple option all the time like Army or Paul Johnsons Georgia Tech.   Not a 90/10 run/pass ratio,  but a normal college ratio like 70/30 run/pass.

The Eagles have a great OL,  with great run blocking. 

Some top Mariota games in the NFL regular season

8    2015    2015-11-08    8    9    22.009    TEN    @    NOR    W 34-28    *    28    39    71.79    371    4    0    135.7

12    2015    2015-12-06    12    13    22.037    TEN        JAX    W 42-39    *    20    29    68.97    268    3    1    118.2
21    2016    2016-10-09    5    5    22.345    TEN    @    MIA    W 30-17    *    20    29    68.97    163    3    0    117.5
26    2016    2016-11-13    10    10    23.014    TEN        GNB    W 47-25    *    19    26    73.08    295    4    0    149.8
35    2017    2017-09-24    3    3    23.329    TEN        SEA    W 33-27    *    20    32    62.50    225    2    0    104.3
56    2018    2018-11-05    8    9    25.006    TEN    @    DAL    W 28-14    *    21    29    72.41    240    2    0    119.9
68    2019    2019-09-29    4    4    25.334    TEN    @    ATL    W 24-10    *    18    27    66.67    227    3    0    129.7

121    2022    2022-10-30    8    8    29.000    ATL        CAR    W 37-34    *    20    28    71.43    253    3    2    105.2   

I think I found some speed video of Mariota in Vegas.

Its small and grainy so it might not be him.

AltruisticLargeApatosaur-max-1mb.gif

Here it is from the all-22

giphy.gif

And this was the coverage in the booth.

9c7d1c09-9168-4659-9455-90fdf57b1ece_tex

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Agreed. Running running backs are best. 

not the pass catching kind

1 minute ago, Random Reglar said:

not the pass catching kind

That's just silly. You can't catch a pass if you can't run, and you certainly aren't going anywhere after you catch a pass if you can't run. You're just silly. 

6 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I’m viewing Reddick and Smith as linebackers in this discussion. Patrick Johnson too. Our legit DE depth isn’t that terrific, although I do understand those three guys can kinda sorta be considered too. But I’m talking true hand in the ground guys. Maybe Milton and Ojomo could play some end too. Even so, I want a fourth guy behind Sweat, Graham, and Barnett who’s better than Jackson and Robinson.

DE is one position on the Eagles.

Sweat - 1st string
Graham - 2nd string  (or those 2 get about half the snaps at DE)
Barnett - 3rd string

You really think that the Eagles need a 4th string DE who gets no snaps?  Maybe Practice Squad for that guy maybe?

At OLB,  which looks a lot like DE, but smaller and faster,
Reddick - 1st string
Patrick Johnson - 2nd string (maybe)
Nolan Smith - 3rd string (to start the year, maybe)

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm of the belief that Vick likely could have had a ring or multiple rings if he took the game more seriously when he was younger. He didn't work on the mental aspect until it was too late

Probably the most physically gifted guy to play QB ever with his legs and arm stenght. 

Archived