EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

One good thing is Cam gets to finally do what he was drafted to do

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Who, Siri?  No way he keeps his job.

We need to fix this offense and give Hurts some more weapons.  I want LB/S to be our first two picks, and I'd love RB after that.

So, a 2nd round RB then? There will be some decent and still young FA guys available like Josh Jacobs, Antonio Gibson, D'onta Foreman, etc. Pick one up, draft one later, and say bye to Gainwell and/or Scott. Both are JAG's.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, austinfan said:

So I'll be happy with 7-10 next year if it's with a defense loaded with fast young talent,

Should probably add good to the fast young talent. We have young but most of them are underwhelming so far 

Didn’t we say the same thing heading into the 2021 offseason? and yet we are here heading into the 2024 offseason with the same issue we talked about three Fing years ago.

In theory it sounds great to get the defenses loaded up with GOOD  fast young talent. Yet in the 2021, 2022 and 2023 offseasons we have maybe added one of those type of guys in jalen Carter. Cause Jordan Davis has failed to live up to expectations. Reed Blankenship is frankly a backup that’s forced to start. Brown blew out his knee and even before that wasn’t all that good. Ringo, Ricks and jobe might just be backups. Nolan smith showed very little. And Dean can’t stay healthy nor looked good. Milton Williams is entering the last year of his contract and frankly i think he’s replaceable 

so I sit here saying to myself, you don’t really identify enough defensive players in the draft that make the type of impact you need to replace guys like Cox, slay, byard bradberry and graham (partially why they are still here;please don’t give me rasul Douglas and poyer cause neither got good until they left and other coaches and organization figured out how to utilize them better). You don’t really develop and/or maximize those defensive players that you do take in the draft very well. So how are you going to add good young fast players when that’s not something you’re shown to do at a high level. That’s been an issue since 2016.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's hope.   And I want an actual X's and O's coach.   I want a guy who created his OWN system, not a guy who learned someone else's.  I don't care if its offensive or defensive, but I want a guy who knows what he's doing as a coordinator, so that if need be, he can step in and right the ship on at least one side of the ball.  

This. I just want a coach that can get the ball to the playmakers consistently in the middle of the field in space. I mean look at the niners offence. Are Purdy, Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk so much better than Hurts, Smith, AJ and Goedert. I don't think so but the offences are poles apart.

• Like 2

One other potential monkey wrench in this coaching carousel...if Tomlin leaves, that Steelers job could be mighty attractive to someone who wants the most job security possible in the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

One other potential monkey wrench in this coaching carousel...if Tomlin leaves, that Steelers job could be mighty attractive to someone who wants the most job security possible in the league.

Frankly until the Steelers get a Qb that job isn’t as attractive besides the job security. They’ve needed a Qb since the eagles won their SB 6 years ago 

So when is the press conference announcing Siris departure? Thats all I care about now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Frankly until the Steelers get a Qb that job isn’t as attractive besides the job security. They’ve needed a Qb since the eagles won their SB 6 years ago 

But whoever takes that job would have all the time in the world to get one. We know Pickett, Trubisky or Rudolph ain't it.

9 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Who, Siri?  No way he keeps his job.

We need to fix this offense and give Hurts some more weapons.  I want LB/S to be our first two picks, and I'd love RB after that.

I can't ever see that happening if we didn't pick Kyle Hamilton when he was there for the taking. A combo of DE/CB I could see in the 1st and 2nd round then maybe one of LB/S for the other 2nd. RB isn't on the radar in the early rounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

But whoever takes that job would have all the time in the world to get one. We know Pickett, Trubisky or Rudolph ain't it.

Not so sure without having the type of big early success tomlin did that he’d be around still. I think winning that Super Bowl with Big Ben and getting to another bought him all that time. I get the Steelers have a history of not firing their coach. But i also think that changes if they hire someone and they are just bad 3 straight years and have no Qb. I think tomlin has managed to keep that job cause he can do more with less to keep them afloat along with his great success early in his career 

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Let's hope he can do it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's hope he can do it.  

Yeah. This is not some foregone conclusion. And if Kelce, Cox, AND BG all go in the same year that's a LOT of leadership walking out the door. Really would be just Lane left of the old guard. And Jake.

25 minutes ago, erformc said:

Leaving aside the coaching changes, which should be all of them except Stoutland and maybe Michael Clay, here's the internal "to-do" list, in no particular order.

1. Cut Byard (frees up $13M cap space)

2. Resign UFAs Rick Lovato and Braden Mann. Wave goodbye to all the others

3. See if Josh Sweat wants to extend at a reasonable figure, if not cut him after 6/1.  He can't play next year without a new deal because he will count $21M against the cap in 2025 if he plays in 2024 (the last year of his deal) and doesn't resign. There's nothing that can be done to lower that dead money hit if he plays in 2024 and leaves. 

4. Extend Reddick. Yes, he had a bad year, but if Sweat doesn't resign (see #3), he's the only pass rusher you have left and the cupboard is bare. I'm thinking somewhere around 3 yrs w/ $35M guaranteed at signing and $50-55M in practical guarantees (the only 2 numbers that matter in free agency. Don't care about APY as that can be easily manipulated). The closes comps are Chubb and Montez Sweat (who is younger). By doing that you lower his 2024 cap number by about $6M.

5. Use the June 1st designations on Fletch and BG (sorry guys). Both guys contracts were , which was built into both their contracts. It's time to turn the page. If BG wants to come back on a vet minimum deal for depth, I'm OK with that.  If BG does that, then use the June 1st designation on Avonte Maddox.

6. If Maddox isn't a June 1st designation, cut him now. Saves $3M against next year's cap and avoids a dead money hit in 2025.

7. Sign these guys to extensions:
    - Jake Elliott - somewhere around 4 years w/ $8.5M g'teed at signing and $15M in practical guarantees (comps are Matt Gay and Justin Tucker)
    - Landon Dickerson - 4-5 yrs w/ $38M g'teed at signing w/ $55M in practical g'tees (Chris Lindstrom and Quenton Nelson are comps)
    - Devonta Smith - 4 yrs, w/  $30-35M g'teed at signing and $45-55M in practical g'tees (McLauren, DJ Moore are comps, but admittedly comps w/ DeVonta are difficult because his stats are lower because of AJ Brown) 

Pretty good but Bradberry absolutely has to be one of the June 1st cuts. The two you list are already free agents anyway. You can pick 2 new names. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Unfortunate he has only two years left on his rookie deal

23 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I wouldn’t fire him , give him another year . Add a few starters , add and subtract to coaching staff . 

Why? What value does he freaking bring?

Offensive mind? No

Defensive? No

Motivation? No

CEO skills? No

Developer of a staff? No

• Like 1

Also the stubbornness to keep Patricia when it was clear he wasn't right should be another bullet for Nick and Howie

While I think RB is high on the priority list, I don't think its wise to commit high draft resources to it. I would focus a high day 3 pick on a RB, but would try to avoid before that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Need an off-season or two dedicated to the back 7. Enough focusing so much on the lines. I get why they do it, but they’ve done it to the point where other aspects of the team have deteriorated. And other than Jalen Carter it’s not like their other line first round picks(Davis, Smith) are impressing all that much. This entire off-season needs to be spent remaking the back 7 with young high level talent.

Id be good bringing Swift back. In a real offensive system he’d be really good.

Get a 3rd WR.

A RG if Kelce truly retires. I’m still skeptical, he loves the game and can still play I wouldn’t be shocked if he changes his mind after he sits on it for a bit a sees what the Eagles do at coach. 

Most importantly though a coach who can fix the QB because this iteration of Jalen Hurts is not a franchise QB. And not worth 250m

Im thinking

1. DeJean or McKinnstry- CB

2. Liufau-LB

2. Nubin or Kinchens or Bullock- S

3. McMillan- WR

Kelce was getting annoying. The OL was garbage. He can go do podcasts and talk about his sister’s dating life 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's hope.   And I want an actual X's and O's coach.   I want a guy who created his OWN system, not a guy who learned someone else's.  I don't care if its offensive or defensive, but I want a guy who knows what he's doing as a coordinator, so that if need be, he can step in and right the ship on at least one side of the ball.  

Kafka for OC?

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

While I think RB is high on the priority list, I don't think its wise to commit high draft resources to it. I would focus a high day 3 pick on a RB, but would try to avoid before that.

Agreed. 3rd round...tops. And even that seems silly with this upcoming FA class. FA, day 3 pick, and...sigh, Gainwell as a 3rd string.

24 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Rebuild?  Really?

This team only needs to get the right five dudes to get back to championship level:

An OC, a DC, and a quality player at CB, LB, and S.

What? They need a RG, Steen and Driscoll haven't shown they're starter material. A better backup for Lane who won't last 17 games.

They need a legitimate WR3, a receiving TE off the bench, a power RB who can pass block, more depth at DL, (2) starting LBs, a safety with speed to complement Blankenship, and (2) starting CBs. Now some may come within the organization, maybe Ringo is ready to start, Dean might pull an "Edwards" and make a big jump, McCollom might step up, etc. But you don't depend on so many maybes if you're serious about contending, and the Eagles are going to be limited in FA, extending Smith should be their first priority, for one thing. And Milton Williams.

Better to go young, let Swift, BG, Cox, Cunningham, Murrow, Bradberry, Byard, maybe Slay walk, Kelce is going to retire. That's a lot of dead money they'll have to eat this season, and a lot of players they need to replace. Go young, and focus on improving as the season goes along, if everything works out, maybe you make a GB run, but don't mortgage the future anymore to force it.

2 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

I would be upset if they drafted a RB early with all of the needs we have on defense 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Yeah, a FA vet (there are lots of them and it might be Swift) and a day 3 RB with some upside. Gainwell is fine depth, probably carry the 4th RB on the PS (which is where Boston/Penny should have been this season given their usage).

• Thanks 1

The more I think about it the more I think Nick has to be gone.  I was thinking they could bring in established coordinators on both sides of the ball but what's the point.  Nick is just a glorified cheerleader and his cheerleading wasn't up to par this season.  Bring in somebody who is a leader of men that can create an identity and who has rhe ability to manage one side of the ball.

• Like 4