EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Rebuild?  Really?

This team only needs to get the right five dudes to get back to championship level:

An OC, a DC, and a quality player at CB, LB, and S.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

This is still a top tier destination for a coach to come to. I do believe Hurts can be salvaged, they have draft picks, and there is talent to work with on offense. 

Yep, someone like Ben Johnson, or a defensive coach that can right the ship there while bringing in an OC to manage the offense (Greg Roman, maybe?) can still allow us to remain competitive next year. Keeping Siri would be a lost cause. I've seen enough there to know that's not the path forward.

Also not crazy about these Belichick rumors, and I want no part of Harbaugh either.

Leaving aside the coaching changes, which should be all of them except Stoutland and maybe Michael Clay, here's the internal "to-do" list, in no particular order.

1. Cut Byard (frees up $13M cap space)

2. Resign UFAs Rick Lovato and Braden Mann. Wave goodbye to all the others

3. See if Josh Sweat wants to extend at a reasonable figure, if not cut him after 6/1.  He can't play next year without a new deal because he will count $21M against the cap in 2025 if he plays in 2024 (the last year of his deal) and doesn't resign. There's nothing that can be done to lower that dead money hit if he plays in 2024 and leaves. 

4. Extend Reddick. Yes, he had a bad year, but if Sweat doesn't resign (see #3), he's the only pass rusher you have left and the cupboard is bare. I'm thinking somewhere around 3 yrs w/ $35M guaranteed at signing and $50-55M in practical guarantees (the only 2 numbers that matter in free agency. Don't care about APY as that can be easily manipulated). The closes comps are Chubb and Montez Sweat (who is younger). By doing that you lower his 2024 cap number by about $6M.

5. Use the June 1st designations on Fletch and BG (sorry guys). Both guys contracts were , which was built into both their contracts. It's time to turn the page. If BG wants to come back on a vet minimum deal for depth, I'm OK with that.  If BG does that, then use the June 1st designation on Avonte Maddox.

6. If Maddox isn't a June 1st designation, cut him now. Saves $3M against next year's cap and avoids a dead money hit in 2025.

7. Sign these guys to extensions:
    - Jake Elliott - somewhere around 4 years w/ $8.5M g'teed at signing and $15M in practical guarantees (comps are Matt Gay and Justin Tucker)
    - Landon Dickerson - 4-5 yrs w/ $38M g'teed at signing w/ $55M in practical g'tees (Chris Lindstrom and Quenton Nelson are comps)
    - Devonta Smith - 4 yrs, w/  $30-35M g'teed at signing and $45-55M in practical g'tees (McLauren, DJ Moore are comps, but admittedly comps w/ DeVonta are difficult because his stats are lower because of AJ Brown) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

This is still a top tier destination for a coach to come to. I do believe Hurts can be salvaged, they have draft picks, and there is talent to work with on offense. 

This should be a good spot for any coach. I could see the hesitation coming from the FO having too much say in scheme since it's obvious they have their mitts on that. The team has looked relatively the same for the last 7 years. Hopefully they'll be hands off moving forward.

• Like 3

Jeff needs to do his damn job as owner and fire him today. There is no way you give him another year... especially with the good names out there

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol

Sounds like a guilty man.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Took an early shot at the 2024 roster. Obviously this can be filled out via FA and the draft some more, but shows there's a lot of holes. I left bradberry off because F him.

image.png.069dd29d8b85d2b2bdb328f7f068a319.png

As offseason priorities, I would rank them as:

DE
WR
RB
LB
S

Anyone but a high motor, undersized fastballz project at DE in the first round. I hope they can find an impactful DB and LB somewhere. I also don't think having a third receiver is of any consequence if Siri comes back. His offence only allows to throw the ball to Smith, AJ and Goedert. No plays in the middle of the field.

• Like 1

I'm worried with every passing second that there isn't news that Sirianni will be retained.  The way that this team absolutely rolled over and died when the 49ers destroyed them is embarrassing and is 100% coach energy.  I don't know what happened but it's time for a change.  I, by the way, do not want a retread. I'd be interested in Harbaugh, however. 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

We all knew the day of reckoning was coming, if not this year, next season. Howie mortgaged the future for a SB run and got there - so it was worth it.

Now he needs to forget about competing in 2024, dump dead money, add youth and do a quick rebuild, like they did in 2021 after going 4-12.

So I'll be happy with 7-10 next year if it's with a defense loaded with fast young talent, some young WRs learning the ropes, etc.

Dump most of the veterans and their contracts, eat the dead money, stay out of free agency other than young players blocked on their old teams looking for an opportunity to start.

He 1000% did not do that.

The window is now. 2022-2025, after that the core of the offense falls apart.

Just now, GrahamCracker said:

I'm worried with every passing second that there isn't news that Sirianni will be retained.  The way that this team absolutely rolled over and died when the 49ers destroyed them is embarrassing and is 100% coach energy.  I don't know what happened but it's time for a change.  I, by the way, do not want a retread. I'd be interested in Harbaugh, however. 

You should be worried but also not. He’s coming back so just accept that. And then accept that next year is a waste of time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Took an early shot at the 2024 roster. Obviously this can be filled out via FA and the draft some more, but shows there's a lot of holes. I left bradberry off because F him.

image.png.069dd29d8b85d2b2bdb328f7f068a319.png

As offseason priorities, I would rank them as:

DE
WR
RB
LB
S

RB should be below LB and S. I rank them:

DE

S

LB

WR

RB

12 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Don't Fing play with my heart, Jason. :wub:

2 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Yep, someone like Ben Johnson, or a defensive coach that can right the ship there while bringing in an OC to manage the offense (Greg Roman, maybe?) can still allow us to remain competitive next year. Keeping Siri would be a lost cause. I've seen enough there to know that's not the path forward.

Also not crazy about these Belichick rumors, and I want no part of Harbaugh either.

I agree that BB or Harbaugh would not work here. I want Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowik, or Mike McDonald with grizzled old coordinators. Keep Stout and Clay.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No they don't.  Black Monday is called Black Monday in the NFL because the Monday after the final game is when the head coaches are fired.   The news could (and should) break today if its going to happen.   Lurie waiting around for a week before firing Doug was a massive outlier in the entire process of how and when head coaches are dismissed.  And it put the Eagles a week behind the rest of the teams searching.  The Eagles are already a week behind now because they made the playoffs.  

Well, fingers crossed then.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t fire him , give him another year . Add a few starters , add and subtract to coaching staff . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Anyone but a high motor, undersized fastballz project at DE in the first round. I hope they can find an impactful DB and LB somewhere. I also don't think having a third receiver is of any consequence if Siri comes back. His offence only allows to throw the ball to Smith, AJ and Goedert. No plays in the middle of the field.

Sadly, this is not looking to be a very good EDGE draft.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

A huge loss.  He will be an Eagle forever, though.  

I'm actually relieved that the offseason is here.  This has been a disappointing season and I'm ready to move on.   We all knew the defense would be bad.  We lost our coordinator and a bunch of starter that went and got paid.  We hoped Bradberry could reproduce what he did last year, but that didn't happen.  

How the offense got this bad is amazing.  Hurts is probably hiding an injury.  He did not look as dynamic as a runner late this season.  The offense was predictable and usually poorly executed.  

Clean house, it's time for the old vets to move on, and it's time to fill them in with some young talent.  We may need to rebuild for a season or two.

1 minute ago, Eagz said:

Well, fingers crossed then.

Let's hope.   And I want an actual X's and O's coach.   I want a guy who created his OWN system, not a guy who learned someone else's.  I don't care if its offensive or defensive, but I want a guy who knows what he's doing as a coordinator, so that if need be, he can step in and right the ship on at least one side of the ball.  

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sounds like a guilty man.

As guilty as they come. A suspension is all but assured, the only remaing question is whether they'll vacate any of their wins and what impact that might have on their standing for the CFP.

• Like 1

JEREMIAH TROTTER JR WILL BE AN EAGLE!!

I don't want to hear anything about negatives that he has.  I just want Axeman Part 2.

Need an off-season or two dedicated to the back 7. Enough focusing so much on the lines. I get why they do it, but they’ve done it to the point where other aspects of the team have deteriorated. And other than Jalen Carter it’s not like their other line first round picks(Davis, Smith) are impressing all that much. This entire off-season needs to be spent remaking the back 7 with young high level talent.

Id be good bringing Swift back. In a real offensive system he’d be really good.

Get a 3rd WR.

A RG if Kelce truly retires. I’m still skeptical, he loves the game and can still play I wouldn’t be shocked if he changes his mind after he sits on it for a bit a sees what the Eagles do at coach. 

Most importantly though a coach who can fix the QB because this iteration of Jalen Hurts is not a franchise QB. And not worth 250m

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I'm actually relieved that the offseason is here.  This has been a disappointing season and I'm ready to move on.   We all knew the defense would be bad.  We lost our coordinator and a bunch of starter that went and got paid.  We hoped Bradberry could reproduce what he did last year, but that didn't happen.  

How the offense got this bad is amazing.  Hurts is probably hiding an injury.  He did not look as dynamic as a runner late this season.  The offense was predictable and usually poorly executed.  

Clean house, it's time for the old vets to move on, and it's time to fill them in with some young talent.  We may need to rebuild for a season or two.

I won't be shocked to hear he's having some type of knee surgery. Dude looked like Lizzo running out there at times this year.

Just now, EricAllenPick6 said:

JEREMIAH TROTTER JR WILL BE AN EAGLE!!

I don't want to hear anything about negatives that he has.  I just want Axeman Part 2.

I'd take Edge Cooper over him and not think twice.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I wouldn’t fire him , give him another year . Add a few starters , add and subtract to coaching staff . 

Who, Siri?  No way he keeps his job.

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

RB should be below LB and S. I rank them:

We need to fix this offense and give Hurts some more weapons.  I want LB/S to be our first two picks, and I'd love RB after that.

7 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

He 1000% did not do that.

The window is now. 2022-2025, after that the core of the offense falls apart.

Right we still have picks every year, young talent, and cap space lol. I’d say the only bad contracts we have are the two veteran CBs. 

Just now, Sack that QB said:

Need an off-season or two dedicated to the back 7. Enough focusing so much on the lines. I get why they do it, but they’ve done it to the point where other aspects of the team have deteriorated. And other than Jalen Carter it’s not like their other line first round picks(Davis, Smith) are impressing all that much. This entire off-season needs to be spent remaking the back 7 with young high level talent.

Id be good bringing Swift back. In a real offensive system he’d be really good.

Get a 3rd WR.

A RG if Kelce truly retires. I’m still skeptical, he loves the game and can still play I wouldn’t be shocked if he changes his mind after he sits on it for a bit a sees what the Eagles do at coach. 

Most importantly though a coach who can fix the QB because this iteration of Jalen Hurts is not a franchise QB. And not worth 250m

Don't forget, one of their 1st round dlineman is still playing next weekend...for the Texans.

RB is far down the priority list. If Nick comes back, bye Swift. They're not going to utilize him properly anyway and pair him with a north-south runner.

I truly hope they give Covey a chance to earn that slot role next year. Kid is tough as nails, and shifty.

I think Kelce, sadly, is done...whether he has officially announced it or not. I'll silently hold onto a glimmer of hope though.

And I think Siri has to be done here.

5 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Hurts definitely has a knee injury. 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's hope.   And I want an actual X's and O's coach.   I want a guy who created his OWN system, not a guy who learned someone else's.  I don't care if its offensive or defensive, but I want a guy who knows what he's doing as a coordinator, so that if need be, he can step in and right the ship on at least one side of the ball.  

Sounds to me like Ben Johnson, Slowik and Harbaugh are fan favorites. Media heads talking BB. It's disheartening how reliant we are on solid coordinator play with Nick in charge. I wonder if this was oversight when Lurie and Howie hired him or if they were comfortable with it anyway.

• Like 1