EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

A great gardener though.  Strangely, he only grows flowers.   Real gardeners grow fruits and veggies.

My great grandfather, a gardener here in America, shared a similar sentiment… "you can’t eat flowers”.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm not worried at all about this team long-term. We have some good, young pieces. We have an owner who spends. Howie if nothing else is active.

We beat the Bucs with an average coaching staff. Any new hire is an upgrade.

I say talent is more of a problem than coaching , or Atleast as much of a problem 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Unless Lurie wakes up this window is closed. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Really? You're bashing the most consistently great homegrown player of the last decade+?

There have been a couple of guys who seem to be really annoyed that he does a popular podcast. Lots of the players do podcasts, so I think it has to be the popular part. It's bewildering why they would let a podcast make them dislike one of the best players and one of the most Philly guys that have ever played for the Eagles. It's irrational to dislike this guy:

jason-kelce-super-bowl-parade-speech.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup. Also doesn’t help trading away picks for over the hill players, letting young talent walk to keep older players and not being able to identify defensive talent in the draft and develop talent consistently. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Setting the Sirianni debate aside, task list for 2024...

• New Coordinators
  • Adding talent to the back 7
  • Sorting out the Post-Kelce OL
  • Extending Smith and Dickerson (and Williams?)
  • More talent for the back 7
  • The running back room
  • Cox and Graham

Less than eight months to figure it all out.

You forgot adding even more talent to the back 7.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Playoffs all three years and within a pube of a title last year…

is it a body of work decision? Or is this collapse just too much to fix?

tough call when we cant see the dynamic inside the building

Sure seems that way.

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Really? You're bashing the most consistently great homegrown player of the last decade+?

Guess he will be happy watching Cam then, he doesn't do podcasts so he must be a great one 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He's not entirely wrong.  At 10-1 a podcast is a great side gig.  When the losing starts it needs to be put to the bin until the offseason.  Just another symptom that these players weren't all business.

Look at Travis Kelce's numbers -- worst since 2015 for yardage and lowest YPC of his career.  

That would be a valid argument, if not for the fact that the podcast started in 2022 and both of them played in the Super Bowl last year. Think it's possible that Kelce was down because Mahomes only had Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder to throw to other than him until Rice stepped up at the end of the year?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Siri has earned the right to try and right the ship, he turned this team around in his first season, he can do it again (hopefully).

The key to becoming a great HC is learning from your bad years, everyone's a genius when you have talent and it stays healthy, this season either Siri will learn from it and take it up a notch or delude himself into thinking it was a fluke and fail to change.

The Eagles have a good young core, but they need more young talent and to clear cap room, in a couple years Howie can strategically hit the FA market to finish the job.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Didn't we get in his first year because the division was so bad?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

My great grandfather, a gardener here in America, shared a similar sentiment… "you can’t eat flowers”.

You can eat flowers and people do but they dont have much substance and taste funny...

Like this season...☹️

A young innovative offensive mind is what this team needs most.  The Eagles tried to run it back with a version of last year's offense that wasn't as diversified and a step down in play calling.  The league was on to it.  Players were calling out our plays and we had no answers for the blitz all season long.

Hurts needs somebody to take him to the next level, not someone who is going to be overly reliant on a college level RPO system.  With the right coaching I believe he can.  The guy is a tireless and determined worker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twistr said:

There have been a couple of guys who seem to be really annoyed that he does a popular podcast. Lots of the players do podcasts, so I think it has to be the popular part. It's bewildering why they would let a podcast make them dislike one of the best players and one of the most Philly guys that have ever played for the Eagles. It's irrational to dislike this guy:

jason-kelce-super-bowl-parade-speech.jpg

Given the current format I think the podcast is better if Kelce is playing, as he is more relevant… he’ll need to change gears next season, and be more honest with what he’s seeing with the team if he’s out of the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wussbasket said:

It doesn't seem Siri has lost the faith of the locker room with Reddick publicly defending him, and I feel I've heard other comments from players that indicated there is still support for him. My thoughts are the issues with the defense are mainly on Howie. You could have brought Jim Johnson back to lead this defense and they would still lose like this. Relying on Dean and Blankenship didn't work out for the back 7. Dean had 2 IR stints, and Blankenship was constantly injured. Did they ever have the same back 7 grouping 2 weeks in a row? There were too many injuries to overcome. Defense was just horribly managed with the changing of coordinators in the middle of the season and the roster construction was equally bad. It's like Howie was trying to see what is the lowest amount of talent you can have in the back 7 and still be average.

Now the offense, even though statistically top 10, it was just not great this year. The team almost never got into a rhythm, felt like we barely ever saw them get in the hurry up outside of 2 min offense. This is supposedly Siri's offense, why does it look so much different than last year? How much say does Brian Johnson have in the weekly planning? How much of it is Hurts that is limiting the offense that is called?

My thought is that if the FO wants to stay with Siris offense, which I think they will, he needs to bring in a OC that has previous HC experience and has called plays before. But what the hell is the point of Siri if you need to bring in someone else to run the offense and defense.

Said something similar yesterday. 

I don't think Bill Parcells could do much with this defense. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twistr said:

we will look so reactive that no real coach will want to come here.

I think there's some merit to this, but also some exaggeration. A good coordinator would still come here for their first shot at HC, but would likely need some assurances that there would be minimal meddling from the FO. That's the bigger concern, I think. Not so much an impatient owner, but a meddlesome one, as well as a GM that is always seeking to skirt accountability.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Siri has earned the right to try and right the ship, he turned this team around in his first season, he can do it again (hopefully).

The key to becoming a great HC is learning from your bad years, everyone's a genius when you have talent and it stays healthy, this season either Siri will learn from it and take it up a notch or delude himself into thinking it was a fluke and fail to change.

The Eagles have a good young core, but they need more young talent and to clear cap room, in a couple years Howie can strategically hit the FA market to finish the job.

The young core is what I’m scared of. 

Siri with all of his rest days and soft practices. Does that work with a young core? 

2 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Is he watching 2022 game tape of 2023 game tape?

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure seems that way.

There is a sound argument that this was a fatal circumstance and he cant be the one to fix it…

i still think he can be succesful here but wont be shocked if he is let go

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That would be a valid argument, if not for the fact that the podcast started in 2022 and both of them played in the Super Bowl last year. Think it's possible that Kelce was down because Mahomes only had Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder to throw to other than him until Rice stepped up at the end of the year?

The image of ray charles and stevie wonder playing in the NFL has me in stitches😄, they would probably make better refs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Correct. 

Just now, Utebird said:

The image of ray charles and stevie wonder playing in the NFL has me in stitches😄, they would probably make better refs...

I think they had Helen Keller playing the slot and returning punts.

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Quite a few former QBs like Orlovsky and O'Sullivan have been coming out and blaming the offensive system / play designs, but fans still think Hurts can just go rogue when it comes to throwing hot in potential blitz situations. I'm not sure there's anything that could come out now which whould change their minds.

• Like 2