HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

On 9/25/2022 at 10:28 PM, Agent23 said:

This dude out here murkin his own dad and brother. Might be the craziest F’er we’ve met between both shows 

we have to get some background on this family dynamic. no way they can let that go untold. 

Spoiler

I'm curious why the show is making it seem like Daemon didn't care or his wife and kids. In the book he loved them

Also Rhaenyra was close with her and flew together

Interesting that they went a different direction 

I did like that they showed that it's Alicent that wants her son to have the throne and that he didn't care for it. That's a big thing IMO

If GoT was The Sopranos with Dragons, then this has to be Dynasty with Dragons.  Congrats to Martin for suckering men into watching a 7 o'clock novela.  This is Us, The Crown, heck Santa Barbara, are all more spiritual ancestors of HoD than any fantasy show I can remember.  And it kinda could work but the time jumps are brutal, we jump from major death to major death but never really got to know anybody.  Every time the script gets into a groove, another time leap forces it back into hand holding exposition.  Characters just vault two dimensionally into the future with no growth, the same squabbles as we left them with, just more children to set up the succession plot. 

And how about that succession plot?  The entire scope of the show is to see who keeps the throne, inbred Targaryans or....inbred Targaryans.  Not one of which is worth my full affection.  There isn't a single character here who would break the top 15 on GoT.

But wait there's more, it's also cheap and f'ing lazy.  They pratter about distant places and global alliances but we rarely get to see anything other than musky keeps, dimly lit by candlelight so you can't even check out the details.  It's up to us to go back and check our maps and family trees and wrack our minds with the minutae of crap we sorta remember from the first show.  

I know some big dragon jousts are coming but will it matter?

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

If GoT was The Sopranos with Dragons, then this has to be Dynasty with Dragons.  Congrats to Martin for suckering men into watching a 7 o'clock novela.  This is Us, The Crown, heck Santa Barbara, are all more spiritual ancestors of HoD than any fantasy show I can remember.  And it kinda could work but the time jumps are brutal, we jump from major death to major death but never really got to know anybody.  Every time the script gets into a groove, another time leap forces it back into hand holding exposition.  Characters just vault two dimensionally into the future with no growth, the same squabbles as we left them with, just more children to set up the succession plot. 

And how about that succession plot?  The entire scope of the show is to see who keeps the throne, inbred Targaryans or....inbred Targaryans.  Not one of which is worth my full affection.  There isn't a single character here who would break the top 15 on GoT.

But wait there's more, it's also cheap and f'ing lazy.  They pratter about distant places and global alliances but we rarely get to see anything other than musky keeps, dimly lit by candlelight so you can't even check out the details.  It's up to us to go back and check our maps and family trees and wrack our minds with the minutae of crap we sorta remember from the first show.  

I know some big dragon jousts are coming but will it matter?

Have a little patience....this last episode is basically the start of the "Dance". Show should pick up a lot of steam now, and I would guess next season will be wild.

Tho, I'm still disappointed we haven't seen any dragon sex yet. 

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Have a little patience....this last episode is basically the start of the "Dance". Show should pick up a lot of steam now, and I would guess next season will be wild.

Tho, I'm still disappointed we haven't seen any dragon sex yet. 

Was I supposed to feel anything at all with the two mid tier deaths we got this episode?  I mean anything at all, shock, joy , sadness, really anything?  We're 6 hours in!  If you aren't majorly invested in anybody yet I got news for you...

It hasn't done a great job of making you care about anyone but Alicent or Rhaenyra (team green or team black)

It failed to show the relationship between Daemons wife and Rhaenyra too. It also made it seem like Daemon didn't care for his wife and kids when he did in the book

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'll let the season fully play out before bishing that it sucks. 

wait, youre saying be rational? sir this is 2022, you must jump to wild conclusions whenever something isnt perfect!

1 hour ago, BFit said:

wait, youre saying be rational? sir this is 2022, you must jump to wild conclusions whenever something isnt perfect!

I have a very low bar for them to meet....just one scene of a dragon boning another dragon, or a dragon boning a human, or a human boning a dragon. I don't think that's unreasonable. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

It hasn't done a great job of making you care about anyone but Alicent or Rhaenyra (team green or team black)

It failed to show the relationship between Daemons wife and Rhaenyra too. It also made it seem like Daemon didn't care for his wife and kids when he did in the book

I don’t get the daemon thing? He was reading with his daughter (I think teaching her high Valyrian, which we know he values and is part of his bond with his niece) and seemed to be doing so in a very longingly way. And as much as his brother loved Emma, dude was so hard pressed for a male heir he had shawty get sliced open with the quickness not even knowing the baby gender. Daemon was immediately torn when the same scenario befell him, seemed far too conflicted to make a choice because he didn’t want to accept her death, and he seemed deeply hurt when she deacarys’d herself 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gern Blanston said:

Best episode so far...

Yeah it was pretty wild - the whole gloomy scene to start, then them continuing it all in the low light settings just added to the tension.  

• Like 2

Probably reminded a few of y’all of your family reunions 

4 hours ago, Gern Blanston said:

Best episode so far...

Probably was.  Still it was another major death with no emotional pull whatsoever.  And once again as soon as the script settles in a bit to something juicy here comes another time jump.

45 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Probably was.  Still it was another major death with no emotional pull whatsoever.  And once again as soon as the script settles in a bit to something juicy here comes another time jump.

Who was the major death? 

12 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Who was the major death? 

He was obviously tricked like the Corleones. Dummy.

On a side note, for those of us still waiting on some dragon love....I was hoping Vhagar would teach that kid what happens when you tug on the rope....but alas, it seems the only dragon love we'll see is between Rhaenyra and Daemon. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, Agent23 said:

I don’t get the daemon thing? He was reading with his daughter (I think teaching her high Valyrian, which we know he values and is part of his bond with his niece) and seemed to be doing so in a very longingly way. And as much as his brother loved Emma, dude was so hard pressed for a male heir he had shawty get sliced open with the quickness not even knowing the baby gender. Daemon was immediately torn when the same scenario befell him, seemed far too conflicted to make a choice because he didn’t want to accept her death, and he seemed deeply hurt when she deacarys’d herself 

Lol isn't it so strange how people have no ability to understand what they're watching? Like, how are we all watching the same show?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

He was obviously tricked like the Corleones. Dummy.

Ah, gotcha.  Right you are.  That's better story wise and does cap off a solid episode.  But still, what are they establishing here?  We've known it's going to be Rhaenyra v.s. Alicent since episode 2.  Everything else has just been a biblical telling of who begat who while the rest of these inbreds go in circles deciding where they ultimately line up.

19 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Ah, gotcha.  Right you are.  That's better story wise and does cap off a solid episode.  But still, what are they establishing here?  We've known it's going to be Rhaenyra v.s. Alicent since episode 2.  Everything else has just been a biblical telling of who begat who while the rest of these inbreds go in circles deciding where they ultimately line up.

Well yeah, they had to setup the characters now for us to care about them later. The civil war appears to be starting up, if you notice half the people were dressed in green and the others dressed in black. We're getting there, and the preview for next week looks good too. 

Curious which "side" everyone prefers so far - of those who care enough to choose sides.

While they're all deplorable, I think I'm firmly on the side of the Blacks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Well yeah, they had to setup the characters now for us to care about them later. The civil war appears to be starting up, if you notice half the people were dressed in green and the others dressed in black. We're getting there, and the preview for next week looks good too. 

Oh, ok.  And after 7 hours of television who exactly do you care about?

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Curious which "side" everyone prefers so far - of those who care enough to choose sides.

While they're all deplorable, I think I'm firmly on the side of the Blacks

While I guess all of the characters aren't exactly pristine, based on what we've seen so far, I think Rhaenyra has gotten the sympathetic hero edit to this point.  Alicent, while sweet to start has taken more of a darker turn the last few episodes with her father and hanging around with the likes of Limpy Littlefinger guy.