HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

I’ve been enjoying this show the more episodes it’s in but I really don’t like how they are just a cover band playing all of GoT’s greatest hits. 

In GoT, we learned that Little Finger, Varys, and even Cersei had spies all over the place. Then using those spies and information they learned against one another was part of the fun of that show. 

in this one, it’s not surprising that Hightower has similar eyes and ears out there… but other than flying her dragon to Dragonstone to prevent her father’s men from attacking Daemon (I think episode 2?), Rhaenyra has shown zero history of leaving or sneaking out or any of that. So it’s wild that some random slum kid would just be chilling outside a pleasure house to spot Daemon and/or her… especially when Daemon has been outside of the airy entirely for 4+ years. Also, she does seem to ever leave the red keep, so I don’t see her being a recognizable face… even with blonde hair… that the kid or anyone else for that matter would identify or recognize as who she is. 

My only explanation… which has not been shown at al or even hinted at… is Daemon and Hightower are working together. But clearly Hightower wants his blood/grandson on the throne, and Daemon wants Rhaenyra (or maybe himself) on the throne — so while he could have plotted to bed her as a ploy to get a marriage pact approved from his brother (by ruining her maidenhood), it seems unlikely that Daemon would plot with Hightower when Daemon would see that act as a way to strengthen his/her claim to the throne but Hightower would see it as a way to strengthen his grandsons claim….

enjoyed the episode but that’s the only part that seems more like "we need to have a rift happen between king and daughter, king and brother, and king and hand… so let’s have her virginity at the hands of her uncle be the thing with an eye witness! 

Costume people did a great job. Those outfits looked really nice

Great episode and the preview to the next episode looks like it'll start the dance

55 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Costume people did a great job. Those outfits looked really nice

Great episode and the preview to the next episode looks like it'll start the dance

So I am really digging the princess and am v upset we are going to be losing the actress in the near future. Biggest thing that is bumming me out about the future of the show. 

otherwise it has me hype to where I broke this book out of storage this morning and have been reading through the Targaryen dynasty.

What is interesting… I just got to the section on her father/out current show king. Says dad became king in 103 AC after his grandfathered died, following that huge Harrenhall council that the series opened up with to decide if his grandson or daughter would rule after him. In the show we know that Viserys was chosen and not Princess Rhaenys. In the book, Viserys dad (king Jaehaerys who dies at the start of the tv series) had a ton of sons and daughters, with his first two kids being sons. 

the first son died, and only had a daughter which is the princess Rhaenys we meet in the show. The second son also died, but his eldest son is Viserys who has been out show king for 4 episodes. In the book tho, it wasn’t Rhaenys that was proposed for succession over Viserys — it was her son Laenor who I believe is the guy we say flying a dragon fighting the crab people. So even tho he is a male, he is connected to the former king through a daughter. It would go Jaehaerys —> his eldest son (deceased) —> son’s only offspring Rhaenys —> her eldest and male offspring Laenor. 

the path they chose, being men >> women, was: Jaehaerys —> second son (deceased) —> son’s eldest child/male Viserys. So the show maybe simplifies this down by making it original kings eldest granddaughter (vs great grandson) vs kings eldest grandson. 

additional of note - Viserys is becomes king in 103 when his grandpa does. Hightower was already the grandpa-king’s hand which the show has told us, but Alicent was keeping him company before he died in 103. doesn’t list Alicent’s age, but Rhaenyra was born in 97AC, with her mother/brother dying in childbirth in 105. So Rhaenyra was about 8 years old when her mom passed… so she’s a good big aged up in the series. 

also says Rhaenyra welcomed her fathers marriage to Alicent, as she was "secure in her place as heir” and she had long known her grandfathers former nursemaid and Hand’s daughter Alicent at court for a long time. 

I never read fire and blood, so maybe that changes the cannon of things, but from this history of Westeros book, they definitely are modifying details quite a bit to create a more compelling story and intertwining of characters for us it seems 

F4B6FB42-52B0-4507-BFE3-5E5BA54C7699.jpeg

I'd put all of that in a spoiler

This show is about Fire and Blood and the book was written as a 3rd person telling a story. So there are certain details that we don't know because the 3rd person doesn't know

For example this episode

Spoiler

There were 2 different version of events and we don't know which is actually true

One said she lost her virginity to her uncle after he seduced her and another said her uncle was teaching her how to please a man but they didn't have sex because she wanted to seduce the knight

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd put all of that in a spoiler

This show is about Fire and Blood and the book was written as a 3rd person telling a story. So there are certain details that we don't know because the 3rd person doesn't know

For example this episode

Hide contents

There were 2 different version of events and we don't know which is actually true

One said she lost her virginity to her uncle after he seduced her and another said her uncle was teaching her how to please a man but they didn't have sex because she wanted to seduce the knight

The post-episode stuff with the directors and creators said Daemon couldn't get hard... essentially that he went from being in control and taking her down the path of debauchery, and once Rhaenyra started reciprocating and kind of making advances at Daemon, he "lost control" effectively and couldn't get it up, so he stormed off.

From the different versions thing... another thing that was pointed out is how her and Daemon did not have sex (just kissed... tho she lied to her Alicent when she said that Daemon didn't even touch her), but when Viserys accused Daemon, Daemon didn't deny it or anything like that. Similarly, we never see/hear Daemon say "king for a day" when the wife dies and Viserys looses the son he was so desperate for. We just see Viserys call Daemon out for saying it and essentially banish Daemon... so there's almost a level of Daemon not trying to disprove false claims made about him and instead allowing people to believe whatever it is they wish, be it true or not, which an interesting element. 

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

The post-episode stuff with the directors and creators said Daemon couldn't get hard... essentially that he went from being in control and taking her down the path of debauchery, and once Rhaenyra started reciprocating and kind of making advances at Daemon, he "lost control" effectively and couldn't get it up, so he stormed off.

From the different versions thing... another thing that was pointed out is how her and Daemon did not have sex (just kissed... tho she lied to her Alicent when she said that Daemon didn't even touch her), but when Viserys accused Daemon, Daemon didn't deny it or anything like that. Similarly, we never see/hear Daemon say "king for a day" when the wife dies and Viserys looses the son he was so desperate for. We just see Viserys call Daemon out for saying it and essentially banish Daemon... so there's almost a level of Daemon not trying to disprove false claims made about him and instead allowing people to believe whatever it is they wish, be it true or not, which an interesting element. 

That's interesting. I had a feeling the showrunners would take liberties with discussions because they aren't even clear in the book

I don't remember a lot of this part of the book because I liked the beginning more with Aegons conquest and his kids and grandkids. This show is like 120 years after all of that. Some of his descendants just weren't interesting to me

I think I remember it was reported this show would be going back and forth with the present and future

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That's interesting. I had a feeling the showrunners would take liberties with discussions because they aren't even clear in the book

I don't remember a lot of this part of the book because I liked the beginning more with Aegons conquest and his kids and grandkids. This show is like 120 years after all of that. Some of his descendants just weren't interesting to me

I think I remember it was reported this show would be going back and forth with the present and future

it seems like they are taking key elements of the text, but taking creative liberties with how they piece things together. from Thrones, I was fine with all the kids being aged up several years. I was fine with Robb marrying a rando nurse (still one of the hawtest chicks on that show) versus some random riverlands highborn girl. I don't think anything they have done with HotD so far has been bad -- not having read Fire & Blood and just refreshing myself with stuff from that Word of Ice and Fire compendium text -- if anything it makes things more interesting and allows viewers and readers alike to be presented with new and unknown information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

They should clarify that then, was confusing and is kinda important.  Overall this show is starting to feel like a faded copy of GoT.  The insular nature of these highborn dramas is getting tedious.  And then you finally get a snap shot of the commoners and its just a writhing scrum of dehumanized filth.  At some point, the audience needs to identify with somebody.

My understanding is the books are the story being told from people's viewpoints, but the show would show what actually happened.  I dunno, I read RR Martin said that somewhere and I can't remember where.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So far I'm enjoying House of Dragons. Its very similar (though not as good) as GoT.

I am rewatching (off to the side) today as I work from home. The first episode (finished about 30 mins ago) is even more impactful having greater insight to these characters and also trying to identify where/how people are working in pursuit of their own self-interests or trying to sincerely support someone else 

• Like 1

Just now, Agent23 said:

I am rewatching (off to the side) today as I work from home. The first episode (finished about 30 mins ago) is even more impactful having greater insight to these characters and also trying to identify where/how people are working in pursuit of their own self-interests or trying to sincerely support someone else 

I think the only thing I've struggled with a little is I don't really feel loyalty to any of the characters yet... Which is fine as it is early days but then no deaths can have an impact yet either. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the only thing I've struggled with a little is I don't really feel loyalty to any of the characters yet... Which is fine as it is early days but then no deaths can have an impact yet either. 

I am ride or die for young Rhaenyra and very mads still that we have to change actress soon. 

• Like 1

Just now, Agent23 said:

I am ride or die for young Rhaenyra and very mads still that we have to change actress soon. 

What? Change actress? Why?

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The show is supposed to do a 10ish year time jump at mid-season, so we will have two new actresses playing the Princess and Her Grace Queen Alicent

I believe there is another multi year time jump coming...

28 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

The show is supposed to do a 10ish year time jump at mid-season, so we will have two new actresses playing the Princess and Her Grace Queen Alicent

Oh no really? I don't like that. 

Oh no really? I don't like that. 

ditto. I enjoy these people. What I don't know is if the timejump will continuously be interspersed with flashbacks/time jumps or not. 

• Like 1

Did they announce who the actresses are going to be? I thought I saw earlier that they were playing their youngself and older, but that may have just been the first time jump

17 hours ago, BFit said:

Did they announce who the actresses are going to be? I thought I saw earlier that they were playing their youngself and older, but that may have just been the first time jump

They did. Rhaenyra I’m not previously familiar with. The other was the female lead in ready player one (which I enjoyed) and sound of metal (also enjoyed, tho only one viewing). I doubt I would have recognized her from those though. 

C3FB90F4-1230-4CF7-90A9-9E1947030AB7.png

C66DF9D7-1AFB-481D-8B4F-CD5BC3C9EA53.png